Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by Grahamburn »

Let LVD test the market and then hope he gives us the opportunity to match any offer.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:38 am Let LVD test the market and then hope he gives us the opportunity to match any offer.
Honestly, it shouldn't have been allowed to come to that. That's what you say about William Gholston or Anthony Nelson or Mike Edwards. LVD is a Ring Of Honor guy - and at least a HOF discussion - still playing at a very high level.

I'm normally the least sentimental person here but how you gonna let that guy walk, especially when you know he'd sign under market to stay, as he's already done before? There's a zero percent chance LVD doesn't want to be here anymore. Dude wants to retire a Buc. If he does reach the open market, someone is going to offer him more than what it'd take to get him to re-sign here today.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:55 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:38 am Let LVD test the market and then hope he gives us the opportunity to match any offer.
Honestly, it shouldn't have been allowed to come to that. That's what you say about William Gholston or Anthony Nelson or Mike Edwards. LVD is a Ring Of Honor guy - and at least a HOF discussion - still playing at a very high level.

I'm normally the least sentimental person here but how you gonna let that guy walk, especially when you know he'd sign under market to stay, as he's already done before? There's a zero percent chance LVD doesn't want to be here anymore. Dude wants to retire a Buc. If he does reach the open market, someone is going to offer him more than what it'd take to get him to re-sign here today.
Fair assessment. How do you do right by the guy though? He wants to win. Sapp. Lynch. McCoy. If you feel like you've got some football left sometimes you just have to move on. I would have liked to have seen Brooks get an opportunity somewhere else those last couple years too. They'll still always be Bucs.

Just pulled up DB's stats too. Never missed a game. Incredible.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Bobby Wangner’s 2021 (before he got the Ram’s contract) wasn’t nearly as good as LVD’s 2022. LVD 2022 was really incredible. So assignment sound in the passing game and the run game. 62 Stops and his 2nd best Coverage grade of his career (where he’s been the highest graded in the NFL the last 4 years in this defense). It would be a titanic hole in the defense.

Here was Wagner’s contract:

Contract Value: $50,000,000 ($10,000,000 APY)
2022 $: 6.5 M
Fully Guaranteed Money: $10,000,000

I would expect LVD to be somewhere around that. No team should be afraid of a “new defense drop-off.” Unlike his competitors (Kuechly and Wagner) who had the luxury of one defense for the duration), LVD has been saddled with the cognitive load of 4, all very different, defenses.

I would imagine we could keep him here if we wanted, but the odds are high that we’re looking at at least 2 x down years where we have 0 SB prospects. We should let him go and let him chase hardware in the twilight of his career so his obviously HoF resume can get more visibility and respect by the NFL rubes.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

LVD to the Bengals would be nice. Legit shot at a ring and much more exposure. He dominated Kelce in the super bowl so having him for the inevitable Chiefs matchup in the playoffs would be legit for Cincy.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

I'll respect whatever decision he makes. He's been on so many bad Bucs teams that if he does go elsewhere it's not like he hasn't earned it.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

NFL.com - Look for the team to emphasize the pass rush in free agency and the draft; the Bucs' defense pressured opposing quarterbacks on just 25 percent of dropbacks in 2022 (sixth-lowest rate in NFL) and allowed 21 passing touchdowns when using four or fewer pass rushers (second-most in NFL). The shopping list is long, and the options are limited.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

So much for the Bucs trying to fix this cap situation anytime soon. We are officially a perennial "cap hell" team.

Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

More voids to get cap complaint due to previous voids.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Positive Feedback Loop TM

But, I think this is clearly a feature/bug relationship of the current iteration of salary structuring and cap dynamics (including whatever annual increase is in the pipeline). Teams (not all) are making handling the cap/salaries in this fashion a perpetual regime. I’d wager a guess that is going to continue until the league does something to resolve this “cap-workaround” if in fact the league office deems it as such.

As far as LVD’s prospects, I would imagine KC might be high on the list. Near where he played NCAA and would be a huge upgrade from Willie Gay JR. Cinci is young, talented, and capable at off-ball LBer. While LVD would be an upgrade for Cinci, I’m not sure that would be a direction they would want to go.

Another option would be (deep swallow)…Philly. Big upgrade to White.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:41 pm More voids to get cap complaint due to previous voids.
Seems like once you go down that road, there's no turning back.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Every team does this to a sense. Its why no one believes the final years of contracts. As long as we don't have a massive QB deal, the increase in cap smooths it out.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:03 am
MJW wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:55 am

Fair assessment. How do you do right by the guy though? He wants to win. Sapp. Lynch. McCoy. If you feel like you've got some football left sometimes you just have to move on. I would have liked to have seen Brooks get an opportunity somewhere else those last couple years too. They'll still always be Bucs.

Just pulled up DB's stats too. Never missed a game. Incredible.
Please tell me that’s not Gerald McCoy… you didn’t just lump Gerald Mccoy with Sapp and Lynch… I’m forgetting another McCoy right?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Tell me you're tanking for Caleb Williams without telling me you're tanking for Caleb Williams.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Baker will win the job.

Trask was a bad pick.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

If Baker comes here I hope they bring back the At Home with Baker commercials at Ray Jay.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Baker isn't competition. You don't sign him unless you plan to start him. Or, put another way, I don't think he'll sign somewhere if he isn't assured the starting job at least out of the gates. He could certainly play himself out of it though.

I don't care for that plan and would prefer to give Trask the nod.
These Are The Days

Bucs probably sign Baker and not Jackson

Navy in his best Jesse "The Body" Ventura voice

"I TOLD YOU! I TOLD THE WORLD! DON'T EVER WANT TO HEAR YOU EVER DOUBT ME AGAIN MCMAHON NEVER EVER AGAIN!"

Bootz: "I can't believe what a stupid mistake that was!"
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

These Are The Days wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:33 pm Bucs probably sign Baker and not Jackson

"I TOLD YOU! I TOLD THE WORLD! DON'T EVER WANT TO HEAR YOU EVER DOUBT ME AGAIN MCMAHON NEVER EVER AGAIN!"

😂 haha, yeah, that’s Bootz and Navy

Hell Mayfield is 10x better than Trask. I’m fine with it
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

What is market value for Baker Mayfield and how much do you think his guarantee should be?
These Are The Days

Phantom wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:48 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:33 pm Bucs probably sign Baker and not Jackson

Thing is I'm not exactly high on Baker. The only thing different between him and Winston as players is the latter might as well practice drop backs wearing weighted shoes and barking out the first 50 digits of pi.

Hell it's not actually impossible we might've been better off with Winston over Baker
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:11 pm

Tell me you're tanking for Caleb Williams without telling me you're tanking for Caleb Williams.
Well, if you were tanking for Caleb Williams, you probably wouldn't sign Baker or anyone else you've ever heard of, but I digress.

I wouldn't like signing Baker Mayfield. At all. OTC estimates he would be worth around $9-10 million per year, and I doubt he could do anything that Kyle Trask couldn't do for alot cheaper. And that amount of money could be used to help resign LVD or Anthony Nelson or Jamel Dean or Logan Ryan or Will Gholston.

I hope Baker signs elsewhere, and most every outside free agent who would command greater than $5 million in cap space.

Want to hear a depressing statistic? The Buccaneers are SIXTH in the NFL in spending on quarterbacks this year at $36 million. Adding Baker or another veteran of similar cost would catapult us up to third, behind only the Browns and Chiefs. Looking at this roster with this cap and the many, many holes we are about to have on defense, signing a Baker Mayfield would be extremely poor decision making.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

People dont think
These Are The Days

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:03 pm People dont think
Link?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

If signing Baker means no LVD and no Dean. Just. Ouch.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Mayfield is the best of the FA out there. Makes sense to bring in the best competition. Not to mention, I know draft groupies hate it because to them the only way to find a QB is with a top pick, but Mayfield is literally everything the doctor ordered.

He was every bit rookie savior people want us to go after. First overall pick. Had a great rookie year. Mid sophomore slump. Broke out his third year taking the 1-31 before him Browns to the playoffs despite being on his 4th HC in 3 years.

He tore his labrum in year 4 and should've shut it down but didn't. He's a major competitor, which is something BA, Bowles and Canales go off on. Speaking on, we probably have one of the best "change of scenery" staff there is. Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Geno Smith. Why not Baker Mayfield?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pm Mayfield is the best of the FA out there. Makes sense to bring in the best competition. Not to mention, I know draft groupies hate it because to them the only way to find a QB is with a top pick, but Mayfield is literally everything the doctor ordered.

He was every bit rookie savior people want us to go after. First overall pick. Had a great rookie year. Mid sophomore slump. Broke out his third year taking the 1-31 before him Browns to the playoffs despite being on his 4th HC in 3 years.

He tore his labrum in year 4 and should've shut it down but didn't. He's a major competitor, which is something BA, Bowles and Canales go off on. Speaking on, we probably have one of the best "change of scenery" staff there is. Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Geno Smith. Why not Baker Mayfield?

1.2 mil tryout.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I mean. Jimmy G > Baker

That’s the same argument Panthers’ fans made. He was brutal.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pm Mayfield is the best of the FA out there.
Tells me all I need to know. Holy Hell!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Indeed, but they didn't have Canales and BA. They had Rhule.
Also, he lost the first two games on heart break FGs. Really took all the air out of everything.

Again, I'm not at all saying Baker is the answer. I think he still locks onto his first read too much and needs tons of PA and designed out of pocket stuff to really shine, but he's someone you can win with. Maybe not win because of... but win with if everything else is there.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Vea a bargain.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Void it up
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

No reason not to use void years so long as the league allows it. It's a cheat code that should be exploited as much as possible.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

These Are The Days wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:52 pm
Phantom wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:48 pm

Thing is I'm not exactly high on Baker. The only thing different between him and Winston as players is the latter might as well practice drop backs wearing weighted shoes and barking out the first 50 digits of pi.

Hell it's not actually impossible we might've been better off with Winston over Baker
The Saints may very well give us that option :shock:
I said what I said