Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by Grahamburn »

A lot of people thought Seattle was tanking in 2022 with Geno and Lock.

@MJW What is “pretending we might be good?” 8-9?

What if Canales is a hidden gem OC. Just losing Leftwich might be worth an extra win or two. Wirfs moving to LT is a smooth transition. Find a RT in the draft or maybe Goedeke is just meant to be over there and was a fish out of water at guard. Jensen is back at C. The O-line could potentially be really good.

Maybe LVD wants to stay in tampa and we can get Dean back on a tag or new deal. JTS takes the next step and Shaq returns or we get an EDGE in the draft. The D could be kind of good.

This isn’t some atrocious roster destined for the #1 pick.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:13 am A lot of people thought Seattle was tanking in 2022 with Geno and Lock.

@MJW What is “pretending we might be good?” 8-9?

What if Canales is a hidden gem OC. Just losing Leftwich might be worth an extra win or two. Wirfs moving to LT is a smooth transition. Find a RT in the draft or maybe Goedeke is just meant to be over there and was a fish out of water at guard. Jensen is back at C. The O-line could potentially be really good.

Maybe LVD wants to stay in tampa and we can get Dean back on a tag or new deal. JTS takes the next step and Shaq returns or we get an EDGE in the draft. The D could be kind of good.

This isn’t some atrocious roster destined for the #1 pick.
Please stop with the #1 pick stuff and Caleb Williams. I don't come at the discussion that way. That's not the goal I want to enter any season with, nor would I suggest OBP tries to put together a "Major League" style awful roster for nefarious reasons.

It's simple with me. There are only ***2*** acceptable states for any NFL team to be in at any time:

One, legitimately in contention for a championship THIS YEAR, and making moves to increase those odds.
Two, NOT legitimately in contention for a championship this year, but recognizing that and doing what they can with their resources to improve the odds in the future.

That's it.

Does OBP have ANY BUSINESS looking at this roster, this QB situation, this worthless fucking coach, this cap debt, and our paltry draft picks, and saying, "Clearly, the 2023 Buccaneers are going to be in contention this year?"

Fuck. No.

As such, we should be taking as many cap hits as possible to free up space later.
We should be drafted for the future as much as possible, not for immediate needs.
We should be giving reps to younger players with upside.

That's all I'm saying.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

There are three reasons to disagree with me. Ready?

One, you think the 2023 Buccaneer are championship contenders, in which case you're on crack.
Two, some "any given Sunday" bullshit, which might be true on one given Sunday, but won't be true on 20 of them.
Three, some kind of "You play to win the game" mantra, which is fine, and true. But building a roster and playing the game are two different things. You play to win the game. You build the roster to win the Ring.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

You’re kind of howling at the moon.

I don’t think anyone feels like the post-Brady Bucs are “contenders” in terms of competing to win a championship.

I don’t think anyone is advocating that Licht continue to sign guys with a blank check borrowing from future cap years.

But, I’d still like to compete. And, this roster is good enough to do that. Especially if Trask is something. Maybe he is maybe he isn’t. I don’t know yet.

The Eagles with Hurts went into 2022 as a 2021 also ran. Hurts took a leap. They wound up in the Super Bowl.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:43 am You’re kind of howling at the moon.

I don’t think anyone feels like the post-Brady Bucs are “contenders” in terms of competing to win a championship.

I don’t think anyone is advocating that Licht continue to sign guys with a blank check borrowing from future cap years.

But, I’d still like to compete. And, this roster is good enough to do that. Especially if Trask is something. Maybe he is maybe he isn’t. I don’t know yet.

The Eagles with Hurts went into 2022 as a 2021 also ran. Hurts took a leap. They wound up in the Super Bowl.
Not a single rational person I know went into last season expecting the season the Eagles they had, and I live in Eagles country.

There were a million questions and doubts about Siriani and Hurts. Same was true when they won in 2017 when many thought Pederson was a joke who was in over his head.

After Pederson got canned, most thought Roseman should have gone too… or instead. 4-11 was pitiful. Now he’s seen as the architect of the team that got to two championships in 5 years. Winning changes perspective quickly.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't believe in saviors, I believe in fits.

Best case Trask or Lock win the job out right, go on to have a Geno year, and we have our answer at QB.

Most likely case, both will see some playing time for either injury or performance reasons. Maybe one emerges near the end.

If not, we get ourselves some more QBs in the next class and try this all over again until someone emerges.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

The FO knew this cap reckoning was coming for years. It was part of a plan, so I’d imagine they are prepared for it. Licht basically said as much.

As stated by others, last year was a disaster of misfortune. A perfect storm of: losing more than half of our OL (and the left side at that) led to a total domino effect of failure and inefficiency — forced throws, wasted downs, complete inability to run and form a balanced attack… all leading to a failure to score points; an OC who refused to adapt and adjust; Shaq Barrett and a series of other injuries hampering our D.

Losing Gronk and Brady’s distractions certainly didn’t help either, but we were damned by the OL regardless.

I have faith that restoring the OL and having Shaq and adding another key contributor to the pass rush will lead to a stark improvement… with competent QB play.

It’s why I wanted Brady back for one more year. That didn’t happen, but with a new QB friendly scheme (I have total faith in Canales) and those other pieces in place we can absolutely get back to the playoffs… that’s the only way to contend.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

So we've met with Richardson, which is interesting since he's a solid lock for a top 10 pick with buzz of him trending towards threatening #1 overall .
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I don't get the love for Richardson or Levis.
Most hated man in America.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:42 am I don't get the love for Richardson or Levis.
Upside and the Josh Allen effect.

I like Richardson over Levis since they both having glaring issues to fix so if you're going to roll the dice, may as well go with the highest reward potential.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:42 am I don't get the love for Richardson or Levis.
Me either… or Stroud. If we are trading up for a QB, then I hope it’s all in for Young.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:44 am
Upside and the Josh Allen effect.

I like Richardson over Levis since they both having glaring issues to fix so if you're going to roll the dice, may as well go with the highest reward potential.
They are both the same to me. Good size, move extremely will running the football, u predictable and inconsistent throwing it.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Deja Entendu wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:19 am The FO knew this cap reckoning was coming for years. It was part of a plan, so I’d imagine they are prepared for it. Licht basically said as much.

As stated by others, last year was a disaster of misfortune. A perfect storm of: losing more than half of our OL (and the left side at that) led to a total domino effect of failure and inefficiency — forced throws, wasted downs, complete inability to run and form a balanced attack… all leading to a failure to score points; an OC who refused to adapt and adjust; Shaq Barrett and a series of other injuries hampering our D.

Losing Gronk and Brady’s distractions certainly didn’t help either, but we were damned by the OL regardless.

I have faith that restoring the OL and having Shaq and adding another key contributor to the pass rush will lead to a stark improvement… with competent QB play.

It’s why I wanted Brady back for one more year. That didn’t happen, but with a new QB friendly scheme (I have total faith in Canales) and those other pieces in place we can absolutely get back to the playoffs… that’s the only way to contend.
Shaq Barrett had 3 sacks last season before he got hurt.

We don't have the resources to upgrade this roster nearly anywhere.

Our depth was poor before we had 25 free agents negative cap room.

We're going from Tom Brady - distracted or otherwise - to Kyle Trask.

Todd Bowles is still here.

We went sub .500 in a horrible division - likely to improve - last year.

And did you really feel like making the playoffs and getting to 8-9 was evidence we were "contending?"
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

I'm convinced there's only like two people who can reliably evaluate QBs in the world. Belichick, and someone else who I haven't decided on lol.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:31 am

So we've met with Richardson, which is interesting since he's a solid lock for a top 10 pick with buzz of him trending towards threatening #1 overall .
Teams will meet with players they have no intention of drafting to hide their true intentions from other teams.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:26 am
I'm convinced there's only like two people who can reliably evaluate QBs in the world. Belichick, and someone else who I haven't decided on lol.
Reid? Also Belichick got lucky. He passed on Brady 5 times. And with him on the roster signed Drew Bledsoe to a 10 year deal. If not for Bledsoe getting injured, Brady probably never sees the field with the Pats.

Plus what have the other QBs he's drafted over the years done with their careers?
Last edited by Bootz on Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:29 am

Reid?
Yep!
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Trask has better tape than both of them.

Levis might make it if he learns to get the ball out faster.

Bryce Young looks like the real deal.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Reid? Also Belichick got lucky. He passed on Brady 5 times. And with him on the roster signed Drew Bledsoe to a 10 year deal. If not for Bledsoe getting injured, Brady probably never sees the field with the Pats.

Plus what have the other QBs he's drafted over the years done with their careers?
Mac Jones (mid first round) looks like an average starter at worst, upside for more.
Jimmy G (end of 2nd round) is a cromulent starter. 40-17 record. Good stats. Not a star, but a good career that's still going.
Brissett (end of 3rd round) is a quality backup. 7 years in, probably 7 more to go.
Matt Cassel (7th rounder) ended up having a 14 year career, made one pro bowl (not with NE though).

There's misses sprinkled in. Stidham (4th rounder), Etling (7th rounder), any thing past mid-2000s is beyond my scope as a fan.

I really want to see him with a freak (not past his prime Cam Newton) at QB. A Watson or a prime Rodgers. But that's becoming increasingly unlikely it seems.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:54 pm

Mac Jones (mid first round) looks like an average starter at worst, upside for more.
Jimmy G (end of 2nd round) is a cromulent starter. 40-17 record. Good stats. Not a star, but a good career that's still going.
Brissett (end of 3rd round) is a quality backup. 7 years in, probably 7 more to go.
Matt Cassel (7th rounder) ended up having a 14 year career, made one pro bowl (not with NE though).

There's misses sprinkled in. Stidham (4th rounder), Etling (7th rounder), any thing past mid-2000s is beyond my scope as a fan.

I really want to see him with a freak (not past his prime Cam Newton) at QB. A Watson or a prime Rodgers. But that's becoming increasingly unlikely it seems.
Misses sprinkled in? Other than Brady were are the hits? Mac has the upside I agree. But Jimmy G, Brissett, Cassel?? Nah fam. Finding backup to average quality QBs isn't showing that you're a good evaluator
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:10 pm

Agree with points 1 & 3.

QB with a slow processor? No thanks. That ain't getting fixed.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:18 pm

Agree with points 1 & 3.

It's more of a Leftwich windup type thing.

After watching three seasons of Brady, everyone gets the ball out slow
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:26 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:18 pm

Agree with points 1 & 3.

His mechanics are very good already. He just seems to process slowly and gets frazzled too easily
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:35 pm
_MB_ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:26 pm

His mechanics are very good already. He just seems to process slowly and gets frazzled too easily
I have Stetson Bennett higher for that reason.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:43 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:35 pm

If you have Bennett higher that means you see no hope for Levis. Because there's absolutely no hope for Bennett being an NFL starting QB.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:49 pm
_MB_ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:43 pm
If you have Bennett higher that means you see no hope for Levis. Because there's absolutely no hope for Bennett being an NFL starting QB.
See. Now I'm rooting for the guy.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:54 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:49 pm

See. Now I'm rooting for the guy.
Root on for Rudy
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Looking at some scouting reports on both, Josh Allen is why people are so hype. Both Levis and Richardson are big physical QBs who can run and throw it a mile. Allen coming out was about as inaccurate as it gets but has improved and he had/has turnover issues.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Levis gives me Freeman vibes. He can throw it a mile but lacks that next level accuracy and he processes slowly.
But at the same time when hes "on" its something to watch.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Obsolete wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:05 pm

Levis gives me Freeman vibes. He can throw it a mile but lacks that next level accuracy and he processes slowly.
But at the same time when hes "on" its something to watch.
Freeman is actually a pretty good comp for Levis. Good arm talent, Levis is a better runner. But both are pretty slow going through progressions and inconsistent making good decisions.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Richardson is just so damned inconsistent.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:09 pm

Freeman is actually a pretty good comp for Levis. Good arm talent, Levis is a better runner. But both are pretty slow going through progressions and inconsistent making good decisions.
I actually think Freeman has a better arm. That dude looked effortless when he threw.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Obsolete wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:16 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:09 pm

I actually think Freeman has a better arm. That dude looked effortless when he threw.
How many dudes you know could throw the ball this far:

GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:59 pm Looking at some scouting reports on both, Josh Allen is why people are so hype. Both Levis and Richardson are big physical QBs who can run and throw it a mile. Allen coming out was about as inaccurate as it gets but has improved and he had/has turnover issues.
JaMarcus Russell could throw it a mile.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

GreatTimes wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:13 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:59 pm Looking at some scouting reports on both, Josh Allen is why people are so hype. Both Levis and Richardson are big physical QBs who can run and throw it a mile. Allen coming out was about as inaccurate as it gets but has improved and he had/has turnover issues.
JaMarcus Russell could throw it a mile.
I betcha he could throw one over them mountains.