Welcome Logan Hall

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Kress

Re: Welcome Logan Hall

Post by Kress »

Probably could of used an 11 man rush.

I mean, we could of.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

You need your cunning linguist moniker back.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Cunnilingus?
nybf

Post by nybf »

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Kress wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:59 am Probably could of used an 11 man rush.

I mean, we could of.

Everybody preferred talking secondary troubles! Me? I'd rather talk the solution.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:43 am
kaimaru wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:21 pm

It was after the draft. Spytek stated they had 5 options one the board at 27 that were all graded equal. He said 4 were drafted before 33. I am guessing those were Wyatt, Strange, Karlaftis, and Cine. He said at one point they were sweating it, so a run of 3 of the 5 probably caused that.
I looked up a link where Spytek was addressing the reporters. A reporter said "Bucs said that yesterday".
Spytek did not say what you said in your post.
Wyatt is the only name I buy. Maybe Karlaftis just because of shock of him still being there - nah.

6:12 starts it. Who was the reporter?
No idea, Spytek did multiple interviews on Sirius XM after the draft. I don't remember which show.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Lol. Gonna be one of those ‘what if’ drafts where we follow a half dozen careers and compare them all. Hope it goes well for us.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Backside wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:49 pm

Lol. Gonna be one of those ‘what if’ drafts where we follow a half dozen careers and compare them all. Hope it goes well for us.
They tell that to a lot of players…
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:09 pm
Backside wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:49 pm

Yep.

I had no less than three teams tell me that they'd draft me if I was there in the seventh, yet none of them did.

Welcome to the NFL my dude.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:00 pm
Snake wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:09 pm

Yep.

I had no less than three teams tell me that they'd draft me if I was there in the seventh, yet none of them did.

That sucks. I don't understand why teams do that. What's the upside? There's nothing the prospect can actually do with that information. It's not going to change how he approaches the draft. He doesn't really have any agency either way.

You can tell a guy he's definitely on your radar, if you want. But to be like, "If you're there at Pick X, we're taking you" is pointless and kinda mean.

Cheb, any idea why teams do this? I honestly don't have a theory.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I mean it could be honest to god true when they say it, no point in hiding it.

Then the ranking changed. I would've really liked Cine. He was on my shortlist. And I posted as much to so we'll see.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:27 am I mean it could be honest to god true when they say it, no point in hiding it.

Then the ranking changed. I would've really liked Cine. He was on my shortlist. And I posted as much to so we'll see.
Yeah, I had no problem with the tradeback, but I would have loved Cine. I watched a ton of UGA leading up to this draft and Cine - not Walker, Davis, Dean, etc - was the guy who kept making plays.

I hate to invoke the curse of Mark Barron, but his ceiling is a Pro Bowl safety and his floor is a Pro Bowl safety.

Oh well. Happy with Hall. Licht's biggest problem on draft day has been ignoring the defensive line. He got a good one.
Let's roll another joint
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

MJW wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:44 pm
Cheb wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:00 pm

Yep.

That sucks. I don't understand why teams do that. What's the upside? There's nothing the prospect can actually do with that information. It's not going to change how he approaches the draft. He doesn't really have any agency either way.

You can tell a guy he's definitely on your radar, if you want. But to be like, "If you're there at Pick X, we're taking you" is pointless and kinda mean.

I think that the expressions were honest at the time, but things change.

Team A drafted my same position in the second round, so I understand them not double dipping. Team B got a guy who dropped lower than many thought he would, so you could argue BPA value. Team C just went a different direction in the seventh, and I ended up signing with them as a rookie free agent anyway. Oh well, such is life.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:57 am
MJW wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:44 pm

I think that the expressions were honest at the time, but things change.

Team A drafted my same position in the second round, so I understand them not double dipping. Team B got a guy who dropped lower than many thought he would, so you could argue BPA value. Team C just went a different direction in the seventh, and I ended up signing with them as a rookie free agent anyway. Oh well, such is life.
I can understand that, but what's even the point of communicating anything like that to the prospect before the draft? They can't do anything with that information. It's quite possibly not going to shake out that way (as we've seen.) Are they supposed to say to other teams, "Don't draft me, this other team said they were going to take me, and I'd rather go there?"

It seems like, "We really like you and you're definitely on our radar" would be enough to convey the point, if it needed conveying. Like, I can see the top two guys getting a firm message. First guy should know ahead of time once the team is locked in. Once that happens (I doubt it's a secret to the other clubs) then I can see the team picking second letting that guy know. It just seems like way too many variables kick in after that point.
Let's roll another joint
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Per his rookie camp pressor, Logan Hall is weighing in at 290 these days.
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

Cheb wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:31 pm Per his rookie camp pressor, Logan Hall is weighing in at 290 these days.
Yeah, his weight will be fine.

The coaches like Bowles and fans keep describing him as lengthy though which I found odd. He has sub 33 inch arms which will limit him. I think if he had 34-35 inch arms he would've gone higher in the draft.

He's tall and athletic but he's not lengthy. His arms are stubby. It's a weird build. The closest body comp I can find in a good player is Arik Armstead. Hopefully he develops into that sort of player.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Barnzy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:46 pm
Cheb wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:31 pm Per his rookie camp pressor, Logan Hall is weighing in at 290 these days.
Yeah, his weight will be fine.

The coaches like Bowles and fans keep describing him as lengthy though which I found odd. He has sub 33 inch arms which will limit him. I think if he had 34-35 inch arms he would've gone higher in the draft.

He's tall and athletic but he's not lengthy. His arms are stubby. It's a weird build. The closest body comp I can find in a good player is Arik Armstead. Hopefully he develops into that sort of player.
I don't think it matters a ton. It's less than ideal in rounding out his finesse pass rush. But I don't think he's here to do that, at least primarily. He's here to be a bully, occupy blockers, collapse the pocket with strength, set the edge, etc. Even with shorter arms, if a blocker is engaged with him, he can do those things.
Let's roll another joint
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Yeah. Length is great, but it’s gotta be functional length.

We’ve seen guys with length who are either lacking technically or lacking in violence or lacking in motor (length could consistently mean very little the bulk of the time if your motor is poor).

From the little bit of Hall I’ve reviewed, he’s violent, great motor, great swim and a stutter to bull rush where his initial strike is first, is violent, and well placed (displacing Guards two-ways and getting them off their pass set plan/base and forcing plan B). He’s a solid enough finisher with good CoD that amplifies his length there (along with motor). He’s explosive off the ball so that amplifies his length because it forces misses by Guards and scrambling hand re-sets. His stack and shed play is alright.

Given all that, I’d say his functional length is a + to his game.

He does need to work on sequencing/Plan B when his Pass Rush Plan A doesn’t win. Too often he’s willing to grind and churn lower half (but he’s pretty relentless there) if he doesn’t win early. Developing a nice Push/Pull or Chop/Snatch would round out his rush suite pretty well.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Nobody wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:55 pm Yeah. Length is great, but it’s gotta be functional length.

We’ve seen guys with length who are either lacking technically or lacking in violence or lacking in motor (length could consistently mean very little the bulk of the time if your motor is poor).

From the little bit of Hall I’ve reviewed, he’s violent, great motor, great swim and a stutter to bull rush where his initial strike is first, is violent, and well placed (displacing Guards two-ways and getting them off their pass set plan/base and forcing plan B). He’s a solid enough finisher with good CoD that amplifies his length there (along with motor). He’s explosive off the ball so that amplifies his length because it forces misses by Guards and scrambling hand re-sets. His stack and shed play is alright.

Given all that, I’d say his functional length is a + to his game.

He does need to work on sequencing/Plan B when his Pass Rush Plan A doesn’t win. Too often he’s willing to grind and churn lower half (but he’s pretty relentless there) if he doesn’t win early. Developing a nice Push/Pull or Chop/Snatch would round out his rush suite pretty well.
@Nobody
We picked our insta-star but why the extreme ignoring of DL camp competition when it's a given that there has not been much production.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

I have seen it a few times that his ceiling is Will Gholston.
MJW

Post by MJW »

His ceiling...maybe a poor man's Cameron Jordan, IMHO. That's not an insult. Cam Jordan should be a Hall Of Famer.
Let's roll another joint
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

The Bucs made defensive lineman Logan Hall the 33rd overall choice of the draft this spring. Many have compared Hall to Bucs defensive end Will Gholston, who is entering his 10th season with the team.

“I can give you my opinion on Hall. He is that guy,” Gholston told the Pewter Report. “Logan is like that. His versatility, I think he can play inside and out. I think he can play my position [and Ndamukong] Suh’s position. His explosiveness and how well he moves, to be that big, I was shocked. Because I don’t necessarily see guys my size and stature all the time. He’s the same size as me, but he moves.”

Rather than compare Hall to himself, Gholston said the rookie reminds him of Noah Spence and J.J. Watt. Spence, who played with Tampa Bay from 2016-18, had explosiveness that Gholston sees in Hall.

Gholston’s “high hopes” for Hall include at least six sacks for Hall as a rookie.

“I haven’t seen him in pads. I don’t know why I’m so excited about him, but man, I see the dog in him,” Gholston said. “You really see the dog with the pads, but I see the dog. I see the fight. He is so big and slippery. He’s an even more athletic J.J. Watt in his prime.”

The comparison is a big one. Watt, who has 102 career sacks, five Pro Bowls, five All-Pro selections and three defensive MVP awards, will end up in Canton one day.

Watt made 5.5 sacks his rookie season with the Texans.

“Dang, this is some big compliments I’m giving out,” Gholston said. “I just want everybody to know that guy is like that. I believe he is. Hopefully he don’t watch it because when I see him, I’m never going to give him this credit in person. Not yet.”
Snake

Post by Snake »

JJ Watt has 11 inch hands. He broad jumped a foot further than Hall. Vertically jumped 7” higher. And had 9 more BP reps despite having 1 1/4” longer arms. Also had better agility drills.

But yeah, it sounds like Hall could be pretty good!
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Maybe that's why he thru Noah Spence in there to cover his bases.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:56 am His ceiling...maybe a poor man's Cameron Jordan, IMHO. That's not an insult. Cam Jordan should be a Hall Of Famer.

I'm thinkin I wanna lean towards an insult for right now.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:04 pm
MJW wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:56 am His ceiling...maybe a poor man's Cameron Jordan, IMHO. That's not an insult. Cam Jordan should be a Hall Of Famer.

I'm thinkin I wanna lean towards an insult for right now.
Honestly, not how I intended it. He reminds me of Jordan because they both have a unique height/athleticism profiles and they both can play inside or outside (people forget that Jordan was primarily a 3 Tech at Cal.) If Hall has 80% of Jordan's career he's one of the best picks of Licht's tenure. It's a compliment.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

It was more the poor mans comment when projecting his ceiling. We will eyewitness his drive soon enough.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:05 pm It was more the poor mans comment when projecting his ceiling. We will eyewitness his drive soon enough.
I'm excited about him. Genuinely. DL is the one area Licht has generally ignored in the draft (the great Vea pick notwithstanding.) We needed a building block. I think he's that.

You want another good comp? Stephon Tuitt, recently retired from the Steelers. Also about 6'6 300. Also a 2nd rounder. And he played a similar role in Pittsburgh to what I think we'll ultimately see with Hall here.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:35 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:05 pm It was more the poor mans comment when projecting his ceiling. We will eyewitness his drive soon enough.
I'm excited about him. Genuinely. DL is the one area Licht has generally ignored in the draft (the great Vea pick notwithstanding.) We needed a building block. I think he's that.

You want another good comp? Stephon Tuitt, recently retired from the Steelers. Also about 6'6 300. Also a 2nd rounder. And he played a similar role in Pittsburgh to what I think we'll ultimately see with Hall here.

Could Sheldon Richardson do a year with us
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:58 pm
MJW wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:35 pm

Could Sheldon Richardson do a year with us
I've been kinda thinking the same thing. Not necessarily about Richardson. But someone similar. Our depth for the three-point, two-gap defensive line is not great.

Vea
Hicks/Hall, likely in a rotation
Nacho
Senat?

It looks okay, but we're one injury away from having guys playing major snaps who might not ideally be playing major snaps.

We have some cap room. I would love to reach out to another veteran DL. Richardson is one name. Eddie Goldman. Star Lotulelei. Danny Shelton. Nick Williams. ETC.

Last year, it wasn't a huge issue because Suh literally never gets hurt and Vea played 16 games. But Hicks does get hurt, and Vea has missed significant time 2 of his 4 seasons. Nacho is fine, but he's not a guy you necessarily want playing a ton every game. Senat is a journeyman. Hall's role is unclear, and the rookie wall is real.

I don't really see the downside in adding a veteran who we know can give us 20 good snaps a game, at least. Again, we have a little cap room.

(This is also how I feel about receiver. We could bank on Tyler Johnson or Grayson or someone stepping up - or we could see if Julio wants to cut a deal and chase a ring. I know which one I'd prefer.)
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Seems to me Tom is looking for quick short area WR's.