Brady is retiring. Long live the Buccaneers

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: Brady is retiring. Long live the Buccaneers

Post by King Bootz »

Nano wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:17 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:21 pm

Definitely the beginning of the end. He's practiced 3 of the last 6 practices, taking more time off than usual. Enjoy it everyone.
I just hope it's not an Andrew Luck situation where he retires in the middle of the preseason
I don't see him going out that way. But I would be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind.
Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

This “approved absence” feels a bit hinky to me. If they knew of this before camp opened, why did they not speak of it till today? Not newsworthy? Nuh uh says I.

Probably nothing….
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

He just practiced yesterday. Wasn't Luck being completely held out of practices at that time? I don't see the comparison.

That would be an awful thing to do to this organization and his teammates that re-signed here to play with him. No way can I see him doing that.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Doooshnzl wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:47 pm This “approved absence” feels a bit hinky to me. If they knew of this before camp opened, why did they not speak of it till today? Not newsworthy? Nuh uh says I.

Probably nothing….
They announced that his first press conference was going to be his only one. They knew this was coming.

Ain't skurred.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The more people say they aren't scared/worried, the more they really are.Even when there is no true reason to be.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:45 pm The more people say they aren't scared/worried, the more they really are.Even when there is no true reason to be.
I disagree.

Even in the worst case scenario and Brady retires right now, it's not like we didn't know that the Brady was going to leave eventually. Hell, he already did once. If he decides he'd rather make movies or announce or whatever, we still have a strong roster in a very weak division.

We'd be disappointed, sure, but we'd be okay.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Cheb wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:56 pm
Sure, but going from Super Bowl contender to "okay" is a kick to the jimmies. We all know our season hinges on Brady, hence the bunched panties.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Clearly we'd go to the next-best thing and reacquire Mike Glennon.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Doooshnzl wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:47 pm This “approved absence” feels a bit hinky to me. If they knew of this before camp opened, why did they not speak of it till today? Not newsworthy? Nuh uh says I.

Probably nothing….
Sure. First day - Brady is gonna skip out on a week and a half.

Day 1 - why
Day 2 - why
Day 3 - why
Day 4 - why
Day 5 - why
Day 6 - why
Day 7 - why
Day 8 - why
Day 9 - why
Day 10 - why
Day 11 - why
Day 12 - why
Day 13 - why
Day 14 - why
Day 15 - why
Day 16 - why

Why?
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

I dunno... We still own the rights to Jake Plummer?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:56 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:45 pm The more people say they aren't scared/worried, the more they really are.Even when there is no true reason to be.
I disagree.

Even in the worst case scenario and Brady retires right now, it's not like we didn't know that the Brady was going to leave eventually. Hell, he already did once. If he decides he'd rather make movies or announce or whatever, we still have a strong roster in a very weak division.

If that happened, how fast does Licht call Lynch about Jimmy G? Think John would do us a solid, what with our history together?

Seeing this offense run by Blaine Gabbert for 17 games would be like giving the keys of a McLaren Elva to Kelsey Grammar.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:50 pm He just practiced yesterday. Wasn't Luck being completely held out of practices at that time? I don't see the comparison.

That would be an awful thing to do to this organization and his teammates that re-signed here to play with him. No way can I see him doing that.
Also this.

Odds are, the amount of time was pretty arbitrary, and he's dealing with the same kinds of personal family shit most parents/spouses/children have to at some point in their lives. One of his parents is dying. Someone is very sick. One of his kids is having emotional problems and needs their dad around right now. Something like that. Human Being stuff.

The next most likely scenario? He negotiated this as part of coming back. There's no reason he should spend a month in Training Camp. So they agreed to give him a couple extra weeks off after making an initial appearance.

After that, he has a major medical issue, perhaps something from off the field, and he's waiting on tests/etc.

After that, I might start thinking "second thoughts." But I consider that very long odds. It just doesn't seem like something he'd do to his teammates, like you said.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nano

Post by Nano »

MJW wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:16 am Seeing this offense run by Blaine Gabbert for 17 games would be like giving the keys of a McLaren Elva to Kelsey Grammar.
That would be incredibly depressing. 17 games of Gabbert/Trask and then you realize that this season is the high water mark of the next 5 years
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:21 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:50 pm He just practiced yesterday. Wasn't Luck being completely held out of practices at that time? I don't see the comparison.

Also this.

Odds are, the amount of time was pretty arbitrary, and he's dealing with the same kinds of personal family shit most parents/spouses/children have to at some point in their lives. One of his parents is dying. Someone is very sick. One of his kids is having emotional problems and needs their dad around right now. Something like that. Human Being stuff.

The next most likely scenario? He negotiated this as part of coming back. There's no reason he should spend a month in Training Camp. So they agreed to give him a couple extra weeks off after making an initial appearance.

After that, he has a major medical issue, perhaps something from off the field, and he's waiting on tests/etc.

After that, I might start thinking "second thoughts." But I consider that very long odds. It just doesn't seem like something he'd do to his teammates, like you said.
Of course. Could be any number of things. Could have been a compromise with his wife/kids to put in some quality time before the grind of the season starts.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:46 am
MJW wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:21 am

Also this.

Of course. Could be any number of things. Could have been a compromise with his wife/kids to put in some quality time before the grind of the season starts.
Or it could be financial matters. It was reported that he got swindled out of millions in a fraudulent investment scheme.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Tom was pretty vocal about how his dedication to football has ruined his family life, it wouldn’t shock me if Gisele only said he could come back if he’s willing to take time for his kids.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:45 am
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:46 am

Or it could be financial matters. It was reported that he got swindled out of millions in a fraudulent investment scheme.
That makes zero sense. How would him being away from football impact their financial matters? On top of this Gisele is one of the wealthiest women in the world. Their combined net worth is ~650 million dollars. Even if they were scammed for 50-100 million bucks it's not a devastating blow that they can't recover from, in fact they'd recoup that money within a couple of years.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Heck.
I figgered he left to go talk to Marpet et al about coming back to football since our current LINE won’t keep the wolves off of him…….

…..in ANY Stadium (fact)
nybf

Post by nybf »

The Outsider wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:23 pm

That makes zero sense. How would him being away from football impact their financial matters? On top of this Gisele is one of the wealthiest women in the world. Their combined net worth is ~650 million dollars. Even if they were scammed for 50-100 million bucks it's not a devastating blow that they can't recover from, in fact they'd recoup that money within a couple of years.
He's going to take over the investigation. Him and Gronk. And during their crime fighting adventures, they'll try to convince each other their 2022 football decision is the right one.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

The Outsider wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:59 pm Clearly we'd go to the next-best thing and reacquire Mike Glennon.
Was thinking pulling Fitzmagic out of retirement.
Push the damned button already!
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

nybf wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:50 pm

He's going to take over the investigation. Him and Gronk. And during their crime fighting adventures, they'll try to convince each other their 2022 football decision is the right one.
This is the most credible thing I've read on the subject in TD this week.

Well stated good sir!
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

I'd watch that show every week.
nybf

Post by nybf »

The Outsider wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:25 pm

I'd watch that show every week.
Week 2 is going to be awesome!

Kress

Post by Kress »

The week 3 plot twist is when we find out that Gronk was the one who swindled Brady.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Kress wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:17 pm The week 3 plot twist is when we find out that Gronk was the one who swindled Brady.
Those damned ultra comfy dress/athletic/sneaker/wedding shoes will be the downfall of the Bucs!
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

So, according to a Pat McAffee tweet a couple of days ago, it’s a work/life balance issue. Like, maybe the Brady’s already had plans for an August family vacation back when he was “retired.”

Don't tread on me
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

He may need to be giving information to the authorities, that's why.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Defense5599 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:30 pm

Dawg, if its a financial matter his CPA and attorney can handle virtually all of that unless he's being deposed. Which we'd have heard about.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

I don't know, but if I lost 1/7th of my net worth, that would be somewhat significant in my book.
nybf

Post by nybf »

IronDog wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:05 am

I don't know, but if I lost 1/7th of my net worth, that would be somewhat significant in my book.
Outsider never said it wasn't significant.
it's not a devastating blow that they can't recover from
If your net worth is in that range, the same applies.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Granted. But I'd love to be in a position to find out.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

IronDog wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:05 am

This is because you don't realize how much that amount of money literally changes the world you live in.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Well this doesn't sound encouraging.

nybf

Post by nybf »

And people wanted the Bucs to announce his leave before training camp. People really wanted 3 extra weeks of doom posting. For what?
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Sigh.