Tom Brady: Undecided

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will Tom Brady Retire?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 42

Nobody

Re: Tom Brady: Undecided

Post by Nobody »

Makes you wonder how much the simple and intuitive move not made of trading our 4th (which ends up to be a nothing pick of Darden) to move up 10 spots in the 2nd to go get Creed Humphrey could be trickle down affect.

Humphreys was a lock prospect and we could have gone into this season with unprecedented iOL depth and have the surety of Humphries at either C or RG (at a ridiculous value contract) this coming year to entice Brady to return.

A lot of things that don’t seem connected at the time can carry huge downstream consequences and change the trajectory (of a life or a franchise etc).
Dread

Post by Dread »

If the Bucs can re-sign Godwin I think Brady returns.

As far as the salary cap, the Bucs FO can manipulate the numbers and play around with future years to bring back the people they want. Eventually you have to pay the piper, but we can certainly bring back both Godwin and Whitehead.

I do think CD3 is gone. He'll just get too big of an offer in FA and the Bucs have Dean and SMB returning. So we have to hit up the draft for a CB either way since both Dean and SMB are entering the final year of their deals next season.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Crocaneers wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:14 am Good points

Oh dear God. I know it's not what it meant, but LOOK AT THE VIDEO BOARD as he's walking out. :( :lol: :(

Also, Kyle Burger obviously does not know what a tip of the cap is.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Nobody is talking about a third option for Brady in that he doesn't want to retire, but he doesn't want to play for the Bucs given the coaching staff and large talent departure. Also, the schedule is absolutely brutal next year. Brady could want to fulfill his goal of playing until 45 but on another team and work out a trade to a desired destination.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Monero wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:55 pm Nobody is talking about a third option for Brady in that he doesn't want to retire, but he doesn't want to play for the Bucs given the coaching staff and large talent departure. Also, the schedule is absolutely brutal next year. Brady could want to fulfill his goal of playing until 45 but on another team and work out a trade to a desired destination.
Where was @Nobody talking about that?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Kress wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:42 pm
Crocaneers wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:14 am Good points

Oh dear God. I know it's not what it meant, but LOOK AT THE VIDEO BOARD as he's walking out. :( :lol: :(

Also, Kyle Burger obviously does not know what a tip of the cap is.
too soon, man...too soon!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Monero wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:55 pm Nobody is talking about a third option for Brady in that he doesn't want to retire, but he doesn't want to play for the Bucs given the coaching staff and large talent departure. Also, the schedule is absolutely brutal next year. Brady could want to fulfill his goal of playing until 45 but on another team and work out a trade to a desired destination.
Entirely possible. Even probable.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

https://firstsportz.com/chris-broussard ... condition/

I think he just sit back and see what Jason Licht gonna to do with the roster like the article says
nybf

Post by nybf »

Chris Broussard is a knock off version of SAS.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

With NO likely going full scorched earth, Brady gotta be looking at this division and realizing that the playoffs are right there- and thus another shot at an 8th Super Bowl
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

real bucs fan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:54 pm With NO likely going full scorched earth, Brady gotta be looking at this division and realizing that the playoffs are right there- and thus another shot at an 8th Super Bowl
Yeah, just heard on the ride home that Sean Payton is done. That is going to be a huge hit to the Saints.

https://www.nfl.com/news/sean-payton-st ... 15-seasons
Snake

Post by Snake »

The division isn’t the problem. Though it certainly makes the road easier.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

From Tom’s instagram:

The man is all about his teammates and the fans of the team. Crazy to see the people in the comments.

Some great pics in the post also.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I can't see it, unless I'm completely misreading things. He seems to love Florida, the organization, his coaches, and his teammates. We're not going to let the roster become non-competitive next year if he comes back. We won't be able to bring everyone back like we did last year, but we should be able to surround him with one of the 3-4 best 53s in the league again. And with Sean Payton leaving, the division could be the worst in football.

Plus, and I think this is a huge factor, the guy has done a lot of image rehab since he came to Tampa. He'd basically undo that by gently nudging his way out the door for one more year with a slightly better roster (I'm also not sure who that would actually be at this point.)
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Another hint Gronk to return for possible year 12 and gets support from Tom Brady

https://953wdae.iheart.com/featured/ron ... n-twitter/
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:19 am
I can't see it, unless I'm completely misreading things. He seems to love Florida, the organization, his coaches, and his teammates. We're not going to let the roster become non-competitive next year if he comes back. We won't be able to bring everyone back like we did last year, but we should be able to surround him with one of the 3-4 best 53s in the league again. And with Sean Payton leaving, the division could be the worst in football.

Plus, and I think this is a huge factor, the guy has done a lot of image rehab since he came to Tampa. He'd basically undo that by gently nudging his way out the door for one more year with a slightly better roster (I'm also not sure who that would actually be at this point.)
Agreed, that makes no sense. Location was a huge factor in his last move in large part because he didn't want to uproot his family again, particularly his kids, during these years of their lives.
Also, we won a league-best 13 freaking games last year, where the hell else is he going to go? The only team I could think could even be a slight interest would be the Colts or the 49ers. That's it. And they didn't move on him when he was a youthful 42.
Monero

Post by Monero »

If Brady truly wants to play one more year but isn't happy with the roster and coaching staff, why would he want to stay? He always wanted to play for the 49ers which would be a perfect way to end his career. I don't think he would "demand" a trade publicly but Brady has earned the right to end his career however he wants. It would be great if he picked us but there's a non-zero chance that we simply can't field a roster good enough to warrant his return. Plus, do we really want the Bucs logo associated with Brady's final season if it's a disaster due to him either regressing or the roster/coaching not being good enough? I don't. This is just speculation by me anyway, I'm not making any predictions. I'm just pointing out that there's a third option besides play for the Bucs or retire. Personally I'd like to have one more year of Brady provided Licht has the wherewithal to truly go all in for one last Super Bowl run.
BLT

Post by BLT »

MJW wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:19 am

LOL you can't see it because it's a ridiculous notion.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Monero wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:20 am If Brady truly wants to play one more year but isn't happy with the roster and coaching staff, why would he want to stay? He always wanted to play for the 49ers which would be a perfect way to end his career. I don't think he would "demand" a trade publicly but Brady has earned the right to end his career however he wants. It would be great if he picked us but there's a non-zero chance that we simply can't field a roster good enough to warrant his return. Plus, do we really want the Bucs logo associated with Brady's final season if it's a disaster due to him either regressing or the roster/coaching not being good enough? I don't. This is just speculation by me anyway, I'm not making any predictions. I'm just pointing out that there's a third option besides play for the Bucs or retire. Personally I'd like to have one more year of Brady provided Licht has the wherewithal to truly go all in for one last Super Bowl run.
Just stop
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

I think Leftwich leaving to be the Jags coach is a pivotal moment. If Arians brings in a coordinator Brady likes, that increases the odds of him playing one more year.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:21 pm From Tom’s instagram:

The man is all about his teammates and the fans of the team. Crazy to see the people in the comments.

Some great pics in the post also.
I liked Erin Andrews reply best:
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I really think some of you are making way more out of small things.

Yeah, if Lefty, Jensen, and Godwin all came back it would probably make it that much hard for Brady to decide to hang them up and walk away, but I really doubt they are heavily weighted factors at all. FFS we are talking about one of the most low maintenance players who has gotten it done time and time again with less than stellar casts.

IMO, the three deciding factors are 1) Brady's body and health, 2) Brady's skillset, 3) Brady's family.

We heard in the presser that his body feels great even after a long season. He should win MVP so the skillset is still there.
It comes down to his family. The NFL demands a lot out of you, even more so if you are Tom Brady holding yourself to Brady standards. More to the point his kids are entering their teenage years. So he isn't missing the 1000th fingerpainting that looks nothing like a giraffe now or awful flute recitals where no one is any good and everyone gets a ribbon. He's missing huge, deep, formative conversations that will shape them into young adults and events that could shape their future careers and lives.

It's no longer "daddy has to go to work, you'll understand when you're older", it's not "daddy is picking this over you".

I think a major player in all this is Jack Brady. The two youngest still have some time, but Jack is 14. More to the point- does Jack love football? Some may not have noticed but the Bucs actually brought on Jack as a ball boy. If Jack loves football and wants to be a part of that world, I can see Brady returning and this being something he can share with his son. If Jack doesn't love football and became a ball boy just because it's the only way he could spend time with his dad but he'd rather spend time doing something else, I can see Tom retiring.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:40 am Yeah, if Lefty, Jensen, and Godwin all came back it would probably make it that much hard for Brady to decide to hang them up and walk away, but I really doubt they are heavily weighted factors at all.
Glad to see someone picking up the "argue both sides at the same time" slack around here.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:40 am I think a major player in all this is Jack Brady. The two youngest still have some time, but Jack is 14. More to the point- does Jack love football? Some may not have noticed but the Bucs actually brought on Jack as a ball boy. If Jack loves football and wants to be a part of that world, I can see Brady returning and this being something he can share with his son. If Jack doesn't love football and became a ball boy just because it's the only way he could spend time with his dad but he'd rather spend time doing something else, I can see Tom retiring.
That is spot on. My son asked to join scouts in first grade. I joined with him as a leader. I went to Wood Badge, volunteered at the district level as a unit commissioner, and was enjoying my time with him and scouting. When my son decided the boy scouts were no longer a thing he wanted to do I left scouting despite enjoying it because I was focused on spending time with him. Our kids are only part of our lives for a short window of time. Based on what I have seen of Brady he is a family man who managed to make football and family work. If Jack doesn't care about it and wants to do other things Tom may very well choose to do things with his son over football despite his love for the game. At 14 his son is about to hit the age where he has other interests anyway. The good thing for Tom is that the Brady house is likely THE HOUSE to hang out at.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

nybf wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:56 am
Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:40 am Yeah, if Lefty, Jensen, and Godwin all came back it would probably make it that much hard for Brady to decide to hang them up and walk away, but I really doubt they are heavily weighted factors at all.
Glad to see someone picking up the "argue both sides at the same time" slack around here.
Think of it more like having to go to a baby shower instead of hanging out with your friends. You're set on doing it but when you hear an old pal that you haven't seen will be there it just gives you that much more FOMO, but it's not a deciding factor. Having the gang back together would give Tom more FOMO if he decides to hang them up, but I don't think it's significant enough to influence the actual decision of hanging them up.

That's off family.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Defense5599 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:55 am I think Leftwich leaving to be the Jags coach is a pivotal moment. If Arians brings in a coordinator Brady likes, that increases the odds of him playing one more year.
If Brady is considering playing another year I promise whoever the potential OC is will be someone Brady likes. It will almost assuredly be someone he approved of.

Imo it will be some young assistant and BA will take a more hands on approach to the offense. Brady is almost his own OC at this point, but he does need to be supported and that is where guys like Clyde Christenson and Tom Mora come in (not that either would be OC).

But whatever value Leftwich provide can be replaced imo. I'm much more concerned about the potential losses of personnel on offense rather than any coaches.
Last edited by Dread on Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Headlines:
"Gronk would retire now if forced to decide"

Quick quote:
"If they're like, 'Rob, you've got to decide right now, right this second if you're playing next year,' I would say no right now. It's two days after the season. I'd be like, 'No, I'm not playing,'" an animated Gronkowski said to TMZ Sports. "You've got to give it some time, you've got to rest to see how everything goes, to see how everything plays out, how I feel. I just want to heal completely, see where my thoughts are from there then."
Buried afterwards:
"If I had to answer right now, it would be no," Gronkowski said. "But you never know. In three weeks, it might be yes!"

When asked whether he would have answered the same way in previous years the day after his season ended, Gronkowski laughed and said, "Yeah, probably."
Snake

Post by Snake »

he’s feeling beat the hell up. And he’s waiting to hear what Brady’s doing.

If Tom returns, we got to bring Gronk back. It’s a pleasure watching him play. I get about as much enjoyment from him as I do Tom. Masterful. And their connection on the field is second to none

Edit: I make it real easy for him. You’re not gonna practice unless you want to. Let’s build in two or three unofficial bye weeks when he’s feeling beat up.

He still got it, especially blocking. But the load management aspect is important for Gronk.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Pretty sure they were already doing that for him.
Snake

Post by Snake »

BLT wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:14 pm Pretty sure they were already doing that for him.
Yes, keep it rolling and make as many concessions as needed.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Giving the full context doesn't get you clicks. Of course immediately after the season he wants to rest. And he is 100% waiting to talk to Brady to see what he's doing. He's not gonna get banged up all year to catch balls from Trask.
Monero

Post by Monero »

For those that want a good laugh

uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

The thing about Mahomes heart rate is pretty cool. I'd imagine it's the same with Brady or any of the greats...It's just wild that down with 13 second left he's as calm as he can be.

edit: For those who didn't see, Mahomes had a heart rate monitor during the Chiefs v Bills game. His rate was consistently the highest when he wasn't playing and dramatically lower while on the field, especially in pressure situations.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

We’re all assuming Brady is down to 1 more season max

He’s playing till he’s 50 at minimum :geek:
Kress

Post by Kress »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:46 am edit: For those who didn't see, Mahomes had a heart rate monitor during the Chiefs v Bills game. His rate was consistently the highest when he wasn't playing and dramatically lower while on the field, especially in pressure situations.

All the Bucs players have all kinds of crap on them - and they're actively working on adding more - and I'd love to see the results of stuff like that. But I suppose HIPPAA and all that.

The heart rates, the receivers' speeds and accelerations, the shoe inserts showing force being applied by linemen. Cool stuff.