2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Phantom

Re: 2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

Post by Phantom »

If I'm the owner of an NFL team, I would hire Jim Harbaugh. He'll bring defensive coordinator Jesse Minter with him. We'll draft a QB,OL and CB in first three round.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:57 amTomlin? 👀
we’ll see
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I think the issue with Harbaugh is he may be too expensive. Some owners would pay what he wants, but it has to be an owner that has a job opening PLUS it has to be a job that interests him. The only jobs out there that prolly get his attention are LA and Seattle because of their situations. If neither is willing to pay that big amount, he prolly goes back to Michigan.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

He has proven himself to be a winner, so there will be a team that offers him what he wants.
Snake

Post by Snake »

There’s no salary cap on coaches. It’s one of the few areas that you can spend as much money as possible to get an advantage.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Phantom wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:00 am He has proven himself to be a winner, so there will be a team that offers him what he wants.
But it has to be a job he wants. For example, if Tenn or Carolina called him, he’d prolly just ghost the call. There’s prolly two jobs out there…potentially 3 if Philly opens up…that he’d leave college for. And those owners have to pony up and pay. Michigan def will.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:23 am
Phantom wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:00 am He has proven himself to be a winner, so there will be a team that offers him what he wants.
But it has to be a job he wants. For example, if Tenn or Carolina called him, he’d prolly just ghost the call. There’s prolly two jobs out there…potentially 3 if Philly opens up…that he’d leave college for. And those owners have to pony up and pay. Michigan def will.
Yep. To my point, Harbaugh is not for everybody. He's not going to a city to build winner. He's looking to take a winner to the next level.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

We all know Jim Harbaugh is not going to Tennessee and Carolina, so this is not a surprise to anyone. Well maybe few of you here.

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/topic/22 ... -want-him/
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

For argument's sake, let's say the Eagles beat the Bucs tomorrow night by the same score they did in week 3...31-15.

The Glazers call Harbaugh to discuss his interest in the Tampa job and Harbaugh said he would be interested if the price is right.

We know the Glazers don't have a cap when it comes to money.

Do you fire Bowles and bring in Harbaugh? Or do you call Bill or Pete Carroll? Or do you just keep Bowles, a move that prolly wouldn't be popular with the fans?

May not come to that as the Bucs should win tomorrow night...but it's just a food for thought.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The Glazers are billionaires. They can afford him.
Last edited by Phantom on Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

There has to be a reason. If your HC has THAT short of a leash that 1 game decides his fate, you should cut bait before the game. It's not as simple as "we lost, let's get a new coach. That's very knee jerk and it has a potential to blow up in your face. SPECIFICALLY if your HC had nothing to do with the loss.

Also what kind of message are you sending to the players, fans, any coach in general, if you fire a coach that has 2 division titles in 2 years? Let's say we do carry out that plan, hire Harbaugh, we win the division again and get eliminated at home? By that logic Harbaugh should be fired, right? Or does he get to do it twice?

These decisions should be well thought out and have a goal in mind.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I'll be surprised if the Bucs lose tomorrow and Bowles gets fired.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Did the Glazers really "hire" Bowles, though? Was he really ever "their guy?" Or was their guy Arians, and when he stepped down based on "Brady's request," there was an agreement to keep things in place and not overhaul everything.

It's not really based on one game. Bowles has a losing record here if you count the postseason (esp. if he loses tomorrow). I don't know if any head coach in Tampa in the Glazer era that has had a losing or .500 record after two seasons has survived, regardless of division titles in a garbage division. I mean we fired Dungy after he went 11-5 and 10-6.

As for what message you're sending to the fans, I think you're exciting the fan base if you fire Bowles for a Harbaugh. The perception I gather is most fans want Bowles gone. The apathy in this area is real. And I think the Glazers notice that. They care about tix and $$$, they could care less about what the players think. It's a business.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I think it was the decision of Licht and Arians to promote Bowles.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Given Jim Harbaugh‘s track record, I don’t think many people would care about Bowles. Talking about sending a message…

I think it sends a message that you’re willing to cut a guy a check to go away, so you can make a considerable upgrade at the head coaching position. And that division championships aren’t good enough.

One possible way to look at it.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Phantom wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:27 pm I think it was the decision of Licht and Arians to promote Bowles.
Before they promoted Bowles, they went to Mr. Brady and said, "If we make this move, would you un-retire?" Brady ran this team. Hell, we always wore red and pewter at home, but during the Brady era, we went with what he wanted (the white tops). Everything revolved around him.

I think if tomorrow was a game we weren't expected to win and we fought a close game, it's a different story. But the narrative's changed. This is a game we should win now.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If Malcolm is alive, then it is possible, but not the Glazers. Who was responsible for the decision to fire Tony Dungy and reject Rich McKay's selection as the head coach? Yeah exactly.
Last edited by Phantom on Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:33 pm
Phantom wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:27 pm I think it was the decision of Licht and Arians to promote Bowles.
Before they promoted Bowles, they went to Mr. Brady and said, "If we make this move, would you un-retire?" Brady ran this team. Hell, we always wore red and pewter at home, but during the Brady era, we went with what he wanted (the white tops). Everything revolved around him.

I don't buy it. i believe it was media that stirred the shit up
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Iirc, their options were limited. Arians didn't retire until it was too late to do a real search. The options weren't avaliable that are on the market now.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Phantom wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:38 pm
Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:33 pm

Absolutely not. The guy retires, Arians mysteriously steps down, and then out of nowhere, Brady comes back? And you think that's just a coincidence? Come on. The guy ran things. He was about to go to Miami and handpick his own head coach (Payton) but then the lawsuit popped up and nixed that deal. Brady ran things in Tampa. Anybody he wanted here, he got (if it was in our financial means).
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

The decision has already been made. Which way I don't know. The owners probably looked at the whole production of the team over the past 2 years and prospects in the future under Bowles. They made their decision based on that.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Okay, cool. I don't care.

Just do you.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:48 pm
Phantom wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:38 pm

Absolutely not. The guy retires, Arians mysteriously steps down, and then out of nowhere, Brady comes back? And you think that's just a coincidence? Come on. The guy ran things. He was about to go to Miami and handpick his own head coach (Payton) but then the lawsuit popped up and nixed that deal. Brady ran things in Tampa. Anybody he wanted here, he got (if it was in our financial means).
Arians retired after Brady returned. I do think it was a prerequisite of Brady's to have Bruce gone. Not a coincidence in my mind at all.

Bruce is on record saying he'd probably still be coaching if Brady hadn't returned. His reasoning for that was he wanted to give Bowles a legitimate shot with a competitor though. That's a half truth in my opinion.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:57 pm
Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:48 pm

Arians retired after Brady returned. I do think it was a prerequisite of Brady's to have Bruce gone. Not a coincidence in my mind at all.

Bruce is on record saying he'd probably still be coaching if Brady hadn't returned. His reasoning for that was he wanted to give Bowles a legitimate shot with a competitor though. That's a half truth in my opinion.
The order didn't really matter. The two were linked. Yeah, I don't buy the whole "It was to give Bowles a shot." It is what it is, though. Still goes back to my point that Bowles was never really "the Glazers' guy." Not sure he was really Licht's guy, either. They just wanted to keep things status quo at the time after just coming off two good seasons, including a SB.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:25 pm Did the Glazers really "hire" Bowles, though? Was he really ever "their guy?" Or was their guy Arians, and when he stepped down based on "Brady's request," there was an agreement to keep things in place and not overhaul everything.

It's not really based on one game. Bowles has a losing record here if you count the postseason (esp. if he loses tomorrow). I don't know if any head coach in Tampa in the Glazer era that has had a losing or .500 record after two seasons has survived, regardless of division titles in a garbage division. I mean we fired Dungy after he went 11-5 and 10-6.

As for what message you're sending to the fans, I think you're exciting the fan base if you fire Bowles for a Harbaugh. The perception I gather is most fans want Bowles gone. The apathy in this area is real. And I think the Glazers notice that. They care about tix and $$$, they could care less about what the players think. It's a business.
The Glazers sign off on every coaching hire, as do the other 30 owners. They weren't strong armed into making Bowles their
HC. They certainly weren't strong armed into giving him a new contract either.

Using something from 22 years ago as precedent is short sighted at best. I think you have a specific feeling and are trying to paint a picture to fit a narrative. But the picture you're painting is that playoff don't matter and if you don't win the Superbowl within 1-2 years you should be fired.

Let me ask you this. We hire Harbaugh, go 9-8 win a wild card spot and get bounced. Is Harbaugh on the hotseat going into 2025?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

LoL geez!
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:25 pm Did the Glazers really "hire" Bowles, though? Was he really ever "their guy?" Or was their guy Arians, and when he stepped down based on "Brady's request," there was an agreement to keep things in place and not overhaul everything.

Here's the link.. then decide if it's conspiracy theory or not. Up to you.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs-br ... d%20Bowles.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s totally understandable why they promoted Bowles to head coach. It was the path of least resistance.

They thought Leftwich and Brady had the offense on lockdown. Toilet had previous head coaching experience and had the defense on lock. They didn’t want to upset the apple cart or whatever the fuck the saying is.

But that era is over and they don’t owe him anything tbh.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:40 am
Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:57 amTomlin? 👀
I thought you were #1 Fan of Todd Bowles?
There are 53 people ahead of me.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The fact that the Glazers allowed Bowles to fire damn near half of the staff that was in place and bring in his own people should ring a bell that the Glazers weren't "forced" into making him their HC. They were and are fully behind the hire.

But because fans don't want Bowles, we have narratives like this.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:28 pm

Let me ask you this. We hire Harbaugh, go 9-8 win a wild card spot and get bounced. Is Harbaugh on the hotseat going into 2025?
A coach is on the hot seat every year. Look at Nick Sirianni. The guy went to the SB last year, started this season 10-1, and now just 6 games later is potentially a WC loss away from losing his job.

I will say this....if Harbaugh goes 9-8 and 8-9 his next two seasons, shows no improvement and wins no playoff games, then he should be gone based on the Glazers past history. Whether the Glazers would do it given they're prolly going to give him a $100 million deal, that could be another story.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:42 pm The fact that the Glazers allowed Bowles to fire damn near half of the staff that was in place and bring in his own people should ring a bell that the Glazers weren't "forced" into making him their HC. They were and are fully behind the hire.

Fans don't want Bowles because he's not a good HC. That's a fact. He has a 41-57 record throughout his career. Take away his first year with the Jets and he's gone 31-51. He has yet to win a playoff game. That is a resume that doesn't scream out good head coach. And don't tout division titles when the NFC South the past two years has been one of the worst divisions in NFL history.

Facts are facts. He has not done a good job in Tampa, and if he were to be fired bc we put up a stinker Monday, I think more than 75% of fans in Tampa would be happy.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:05 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:42 pm The fact that the Glazers allowed Bowles to fire damn near half of the staff that was in place and bring in his own people should ring a bell that the Glazers weren't "forced" into making him their HC. They were and are fully behind the hire.

Fans don't want Bowles because he's not a good HC. That's a fact. He has a 41-57 record throughout his career. Take away his first year with the Jets and he's gone 31-51. He has yet to win a playoff game. That is a resume that doesn't scream out good head coach. And don't tout division titles when the NFC South the past two years has been one of the worst divisions in NFL history.

Facts are facts. He has not done a good job in Tampa, and if he were to be fired bc we put up a stinker Monday, I think more than 75% of fans in Tampa would be happy.
Bad coaches don't win their division in consecutive years. They actually don't win them at all. "That's a fact"