Baker Mayfield: PAID

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Phantom

Re: Baker Mayfield Contract

Post by Phantom »

I agree with what Buc2 said. You guys are wasting time arguing over Mayfield, which we have read over and over.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

acmillis wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:09 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:44 pm At this point, the argument needs to just be put on hold. You arguers should just bookmark this thread so you come back at the end of next season for all the "I told you so," posts. I mean, there really isn't anything else y'all need to say that hasn't already been said ad nauseum. You're just repeating yourselves at this point.
I can agree with that.

Let's make a deal (not really, but you know...) anybody who mentions Baker prior to July, 2024 has to donate $1 each mention of his name to their favorite charity.

BucZone 'bout to help out a lot of kids/animals/homeless/you name it!
Well...we do need to allow for chatter once an actual contract is offered and signed. Right?
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:25 pm
acmillis wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:09 pm

I can agree with that.

Let's make a deal (not really, but you know...) anybody who mentions Baker prior to July, 2024 has to donate $1 each mention of his name to their favorite charity.

BucZone 'bout to help out a lot of kids/animals/homeless/you name it!
Well...we do need to allow for chatter once an actual contract is offered and signed. Right?
Sure. When he signs with ATL, we can all talk about it. :D
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

acmillis wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:31 pm
Sure. When he signs with ATL, we can all talk about it. :D
LOL, we can only hope!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:44 pm At this point, the argument needs to just be put on hold. You arguers should just bookmark this thread so you come back at the end of next season for all the "I told you so," posts. I mean, there really isn't anything else y'all need to say that hasn't already been said ad nauseum. You're just repeating yourselves at this point.
He performed too well.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:08 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:42 pm Baker put up this season with the worst rushing offense in the NFL.

So, what are you trying to say?
That Mayfield can put up another mediocre season and the team can win more games despite that, if they improves the OLine and the net result being a better run game. Thus giving more evidence that we have a good team with a mediocre QB.
So, potentially, if we have a better run game and a better team overall thus resulting in winning more games we could … be in the NFC Championship and possibly the Super Bowl? With .. Baker Mayfield. Because we were 8 points away from that with $80M in dead cap.

Interesting take. I like it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Indeed. I can buy into that kind of optimism as well.

You heard CannonFire, Bucs in the SB next year.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

@Grahamburn @Doctor

Great, finally, we're all on the same page.

Attention Jason Licht!! We all think Mayfield is worth a 3 year / $30M ($10M AAV), deal. Get it done.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:34 pm @Grahamburn @Doctor

Attention Jason Licht!! We all think Mayfield is worth a 3 year / $30M ($10M AAV), deal. Get it done.
But with the opportunity to earn much more the deeper this team goes in the playoffs.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:23 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:34 pm @Grahamburn @Doctor

But with the opportunity to earn much more the deeper this team goes in the playoffs.
I'm ok with that.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

You know who won't be ok with that? Lol.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Acmillis?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Phantom wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:14 pmAcmillis?
Ding ding ding.
But keep in mind, why I want is meaningless…just ask my wife!
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

You guys proved my point. If X and Y will happen then Baker will be great. If X and Y will happen then Baker will suck.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

QBs are better when they have better weapons. I don’t think that can really be debated. If Mike doesn’t sign with the Bucs it’s bad for Baker and the offense.

He may not want to return at all if Evans is gone.

And that prospect opens up a whole new world of options.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Let's be real, name another team that will offer Baker Mayfield a huge contract?
Forget about what pundits are saying what the Bucs are going to do. Look at the actions instead of the words.
IMO the Bucs are going to let Baker test the free agent market before offering him a contract.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:21 am Let's be real, name another team that will offer Baker Mayfield a huge contract?
Forget about what pundits are saying what the Bucs are going to do. Look at the actions instead of the words.
IMO the Bucs are going to let Baker test the free agent market before offering him a contract.
Too bad the NFL no longer has the transition tag like they did when free agency first began in the 90s. It would allow a player to test the market and sign an offer sheet with another team, but the player's original team would get a certain amount of time to match the offer.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Reasonably keep him yeah cool - but no matter how much butter you use he is 9 wins and 8 losses as a Buc.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:21 am Let's be real, name another team that will offer Baker Mayfield a huge contract?
What's a huge contract? Atlanta would and should be interested. Pittsburgh. Minnesota if Cousins goes elsewhere. Vegas. But, ultimately I agree, his best marriage is going to be here. Hopefully with Mike on board also.

I don't think the Bucs are "letting" them test the market so much as Baker and Mike want to test the market. It certainly could be cold for Baker. There are other vet QBs available and the QB class is deep. I don't hate the move for us as we have those some options as well if Baker isn't it.

For Mike? I wish we could have got him done. He's going for top dollar. WR class is deep too.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:21 am
What's a huge contract? Atlanta would and should be interested. Pittsburgh. Minnesota if Cousins goes elsewhere. Vegas. But, ultimately I agree, his best marriage is going to be here. Hopefully with Mike on board also.

I don't think the Bucs are "letting" them test the market so much as Baker and Mike want to test the market. It certainly could be cold for Baker. There are other vet QBs available and the QB class is deep. I don't hate the move for us as we have those some options as well if Baker isn't it.

For Mike? I wish we could have got him done. He's going for top dollar. WR class is deep too.
Just because a team has a need at QB doesn't mean they're open to signing any QB whatsoever. Let's not kid ourselves, there is no Baker FOMO for anyone other than half the Bucs fanbase.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:54 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:21 am

Just because a team has a need at QB doesn't mean they're open to signing any QB whatsoever. Let's not kid ourselves, there is no Baker FOMO for anyone other than half the Bucs fanbase.
In what reality do you live in that guys who throw for over 4,000 yards and account for 29 TDs in the regular season, and then throw for nearly 700 yards and 6 TDs in the playoffs grow on trees? They freaking don't.

Do you really believe you could have just inserted any old Joe Schmo QB onto our team last year and had the same performance as Baker?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 am
acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:54 am

In what reality do you live in that guys who throw for over 4,000 yards and account for 29 TDs in the regular season, and then throw for nearly 700 yards and 6 TDs in the playoffs grow on trees? They freaking don't.

Do you really believe you could have just inserted any old Joe Schmo QB onto our team last year and had the same performance as Baker?
Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’m saying.
Could we have almost any, run of the mill qb on this team last year and finished 9-8? Yes
Minshew gets us to 9-8. Dobbs gets us to 9-8. Flacco gets us to 9-8, etc.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:26 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 am

Could we have almost any, run of the mill qb on this team last year and finished 9-8? Yes
This is a generic, run of the mill statement that doesn't even come close to taking performance into account. As I've been saying all along and as you continue to prove you don't operate in reality at all.
Most hated man in America.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:31 am
acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:26 am

This is a generic, run of the mill statement that doesn't even come close to taking performance into account. As I've been saying all along and as you continue to prove you don't operate in reality at all.
What do you want me to do, hop in the DeLorean, grab one of the three qbs I mentioned, go back September, 2023, put those QBs in a TB uniform and see what they do? Is that what you want?

Just look at Cleveland in 2021 with Baker. He had a bad season, and they still went 8-9. So, CLE basically finished with the same record as TB did in 2023, with a "run of the mill qb"
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:48 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:31 am

What do you want me to do, hop in the DeLorean, grab one of the three qbs I mentioned, go back September, 2023, put those QBs in a TB uniform and see what they do? Is that what you want?

Just look at Cleveland in 2021 with Baker. He had a bad season, and they still went 8-9. So, CLE basically finished with the same record as TB did in 2023, with a "run of the mill qb"
I guess we'll see if the NFL values all of them the same. They're all free agents. I doubt you'd be willing to bet any of them match the deal Baker will get.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:00 am
acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:48 am

I guess we'll see if the NFL values all of them the same. They're all free agents. I doubt you'd be willing to bet any of them match the deal Baker will get.
Daniel Jones got 40m/year. Do you think any other team would have given him that much? Just because one franchise is willing to make a boneheaded mistake doesn't mean any of the other 31 would do the same, given the opportunity.

I also never said any of those is worth more/less than Baker. I was saying that any of those QBs would have led us to a 9-8 record, a defeat of PHI in the WC round, and a loss, culminating with the worst INT of the season when it mattered most.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:03 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:00 am

Daniel Jones got 40m/year. Do you think any other team would have given him that much? Just because one franchise is willing to make a boneheaded mistake doesn't mean any of the other 31 would do the same, given the opportunity.

I also never said any of those is worth more/less than Baker. I was saying that any of those QBs would have led us to a 9-8 record, a defeat of PHI in the WC round, and a loss, culminating with the worst INT of the season when it mattered most.
After 2022, yes. After 2023, no. Jones' 2022 is very similar to Mayfield's 2023.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:42 am

After 2022, yes. After 2023, no. Jones' 2022 is very similar to Mayfield's 2023.
So...you're saying one up and down, rollercoaster QB had a good year in his contract season, got paid, and reverted back to sucking. No way the other QB would do the same, right?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:56 am

So...you're saying one up and down, rollercoaster QB had a good year in his contract season, got paid, and reverted back to sucking. No way the other QB would do the same, right?
I did not say that. It’s certainly one of the possible outcomes.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jones' 2022 is very similar to Mayfield's 2023.
Jones 2022:
15 TDs/5 INTs/3205 yards

Baker 2023:
28 TDs/10 INTs/ 4044 yards

Ummmm where are the similarities?
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:13 pm

Jones' 2022 is very similar to Mayfield's 2023.
Jones 2022:
15 TDs/5 INTs/3205 yards

Baker 2023:
28 TDs/10 INTs/ 4044 yards

Ummmm where are the similarities?
700 yards rushing and 7 rushing TDs. 9 regular season wins. Playoff win.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:56 am
Too bad the NFL no longer has the transition tag like they did when free agency first began in the 90s. It would allow a player to test the market and sign an offer sheet with another team, but the player's original team would get a certain amount of time to match the offer.
They still have it, you just can't use it and the franchise tag at the same time. Also you get no draft compensation. The rules are the same, other teams can still negotiate with the player if they are willing to lose two #1s if they select the non-exclusive. The reason teams don't pick the exclusive is because there is clear collusion. See Lamar Jackson
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:32 pm

They still have it, you just can't use it and the franchise tag at the same time. Also you get no draft compensation. The rules are the same, other teams can still negotiate with the player if they are willing to lose two #1s if they select the non-exclusive. The reason teams don't pick the exclusive is because there is clear collusion. See Lamar Jackson
I wouldn't think draft compensation would be an issue. Compensation is based off of money and production. If Mayfield signs elsewhere, I doubt the money will be high and I don't think he'll be all that good. He'll be average to below average, like every other year (because that's who he is). Also, compensation is a net gain/loss issue. The only 2 free agents that the Bucs will have that will draw any real interest is Mayfield and White. I don't see their numbers being greater than the players we should bring in to upgrade our OLine and fill other needs.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:32 pm

You should be able to use both like you could back in the 90s. That way you can keep guys around.