Baker Mayfield: PAID

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Kona

Re: Baker Mayfield Contract

Post by Kona »

Per Pewter Report if the Bucs can come to an agreement with Baker or Evans before Feb 19th they can move up to 8 mil in dead cap space if needed into future years. Not a high amount, but that’s a day to keep an eye on. They have up until the FA Tampering period March 11 before other teams can get involved. They also mentioned Bucs have a history of letting players test the market and coming back to make a deal.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Kona wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:45 am Per Pewter Report if the Bucs can come to an agreement with Baker or Evans before Feb 19th they can move up to 8 mil in dead cap space if needed into future years. Not a high amount, but that’s a day to keep an eye on. They have up until the FA Tampering period March 11 before other teams can get involved. They also mentioned Bucs have a history of letting players test the market and coming back to make a deal.
Eight million dollars may not seem like a huge amount of money, but thought of another way that would make Antoine Winfield Jr's contract extension 50% off for the first year if he gets ~$16 million per anum.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kona wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:45 am Per Pewter Report if the Bucs can come to an agreement with Baker or Evans before Feb 19th they can move up to 8 mil in dead cap space if needed into future years. Not a high amount, but that’s a day to keep an eye on. They have up until the FA Tampering period March 11 before other teams can get involved. They also mentioned Bucs have a history of letting players test the market and coming back to make a deal.
That $8mil could go a long way and it would be smart to do so. The Bucs history of letting players test the market is a flaw IMO. What possible reason would you want to give a player the option to leave? Especially if you want to keep them
Most hated man in America.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:07 am
That $8mil could go a long way and it would be smart to do so. The Bucs history of letting players test the market is a flaw IMO. What possible reason would you want to give a player the option to leave? Especially if you want to keep them
...maybe if that player is requesting $40M+/season and you know he's not worth it, but want the outside world to give him the reality check for you?

idk...just a theory.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I agree with you, but one might argue that letting LVD test the market and finding it lacking led to him resigning with us last season.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Obsolete wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:33 am
Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:56 am Oh, cause CF thinks Baker sucks. I get it. Funny.
I think he meant that about Winston.
Correct.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Phantom wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:34 am The only team I could see signing Mayfield is Pittsburgh, but I heard they want Tannehill lol.
Most likely it's because they believe in Pickett and want a veteran as a backup, who will sign a backup contract. Makes perfect sense to me.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:41 am

I agree with you, but one might argue that letting LVD test the market and finding it lacking led to him resigning with us last season.
I'm ok with this approach with Mayfield. I think there's a total of 0 teams that would offer him more than a $25M AAV multi-year deal.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:05 pm

I'm ok with this approach with Mayfield. I think there's a total of 0 teams that would offer him more than a $25M AAV multi-year deal.
The Steelers and Falcons spring immediately to mind, but who knows.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

You're on the money here. If you want to keep a guy, you need to lock him in before he can even sniff the market.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I should've added context. Veterans looking for their last big pay day, sure. Let them test the market. But a great young player seeking their 2nd or 3rd contract? You lock those guys up before it even comes to that. Mike Evans should not be an impending. AWJ should not be an impending free agent. Wirfs should be signed to a deal this offseason, he should've been extended last offseason.

Licht waits too long to extend cornerstone players. See Chris Godwin. The result was he got a very nice payday the year he was tagged and then a $20mil AAV deal. More than Evans.

I understand being patient. But it doesn't seem as if we come out with the beat value.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:30 pm

I should've added context. Veterans looking for their last big pay day, sure. Let them test the market. But a great young player seeking their 2nd or 3rd contract? You lock those guys up before it even comes to that. Mike Evans should not be an impending. AWJ should not be an impending free agent. Wirfs should be signed to a deal this offseason, he should've been extended last offseason.

Licht waits too long to extend cornerstone players. See Chris Godwin. The result was he got a very nice payday the year he was tagged and then a $20mil AAV deal. More than Evans.

I understand being patient. But it doesn't seem as if we come out with the beat value.
The crazy thing is Licht worked under Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick in New England and they tend to lock in players they want to keep.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:33 pm

The crazy thing is Licht worked under Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick in New England and they tend to lock in players they want to keep.
The Patriot way, in their prime, was to typically never enter into a 3rd contract/ big contract with a player outside of Brady. They would trade them or let them walk. Players like Mankins, Seymour, Wilfork, Ty Law, Welker, or Jamie Collins
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Yep. And would trade players who's cost outweighed their value.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:40 pm

The Patriot way, in their prime, was to typically never enter into a 3rd contract/ big contract with a player outside of Brady. They would trade them or let them walk. Players like Mankins, Seymour, Wilfork, Ty Law, Welker, or Jamie Collins
Yep. Chandler Jones and Trent Brown included. It kept them competitive and relevant for nearly 2 decades.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:52 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:40 pm

Yep. Chandler Jones and Trent Brown included. It kept them competitive and relevant for nearly 2 decades.
Many believe that's what the Chiefs will do to Chris Jones. Sucks for them, because he's the 2nd best interior lineman in the NFL, but it's been a successful formula for them and the Pats.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:18 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:05 pm

I don't think the Steelers would be interested, they seem to really like Pickett and hellbent on give him a real chance. I don't envision them doing anything this year that could put doubt in the minds of people on how they view Pickett. It's why Tannehill's name has popped up... and Flacco's, and why you don't hear Cousins, Wilson, or Mayfield.

Atlanta certainly could, but I think they go after Wilson or trade up in the draft. If they do go after Mayfield, good. I like it when other teams overpay a player and hurt their teams' flexibility to address other needs. Mayfield was mediocre last year, with Evans and Godwin. If people here are down on Drake London & Kyle Pitts, I can't imagine what kind of season people would think Atlanta could have with Baker. Everyone here should think it would be great for Atlanta to sign him.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:17 pm
Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:18 pm

I don't think the Steelers would be interested, they seem to really like Pickett and hellbent on give him a real chance. I don't envision them doing anything this year that could put doubt in the minds of people on how they view Pickett. It's why Tannehill's name has popped up... and Flacco's, and why you don't hear Cousins, Wilson, or Mayfield.

Atlanta certainly could, but I think they go after Wilson or trade up in the draft. If they do go after Mayfield, good. I like it when other teams overpay a player and hurt their teams' flexibility to address other needs. Mayfield was mediocre last year, with Evans and Godwin. If people here are down on Drake London & Kyle Pitts, I can't imagine what kind of season people would think Atlanta could have with Baker. Everyone here should think it would be great for Atlanta to sign him.
The Bucs will re-sign Baker and it will definitely be for far more money than you think he deserves. It's not even a secret at this point...I'm not sure why you are lobbying so hard against it because it's happening.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:12 pm

Many believe that's what the Chiefs will do to Chris Jones. Sucks for them, because he's the 2nd best interior lineman in the NFL, but it's been a successful formula for them and the Pats.
To be fair, this plan worked because they had Tom Brady. I think it's why it could work for KC for the same reason. I don't think it works elsewise.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:20 pm

To be fair, this plan worked because they had Tom Brady. I think it's why it could work for KC for the same reason. I don't think it works elsewise.
Can sustained greatness be achieved without a great QB? I'd argue no.

A QB/Coach combo is the most important ingredient from a historical perspective for sustained success.

Troy Aikman is probably the closest things to an outlier.

I was talking to the point about the Patriot way. The almost never locked players up early/long-term. There's some examples, but they were the exception.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:20 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:17 pm

The Bucs will re-sign Baker and it will definitely be for far more money than you think he deserves. It's not even a secret at this point...I'm not sure why you are lobbying so hard against it because it's happening.
I have no impact on whether he gets signed or not, so to say I'm lobbying for anything is rather foolish. I'm just offering up my opinion on what I think he's worth and try to warn you guys of the impending mistake and the inevitable fallout. Don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:24 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:20 pm

Can sustained greatness be achieved without a great QB? I'd argue no.

A QB/Coach combo is the most important ingredient from a historical perspective for sustained success.

Troy Aikman is probably the closest things to an outlier.

I was talking to the point about the Patriot way. The almost never locked players up early/long-term. There's some examples, but they were the exception.
I don't disagree. I was simply adding that I believe the only reason why that plan worked, was because of their QB.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:26 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:20 pm

I have no impact on whether he gets signed or not, so to say I'm lobbying for anything is rather foolish. I'm just offering up my opinion on what I think he's worth and try to warn you guys of the impending mistake and the inevitable fallout. Don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.
Again, you've made the point 1,000 times to a message board. None of us have the power to sign/not sign him.

Continue with your dead horse, I guess.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

It does suck for them. But Veech has done well restocking that roster, especially the defense. He doesn't get nearly enough credit.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I'm going to call my shot at a 5 year deal for $200M total value with $75M guaranteed.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:36 pm

It does suck for them. But Veech has done well restocking that roster, especially the defense. He doesn't get nearly enough credit.
Most said he was the best GM in the league until Roseman had a crazy offseason on paper, then they moved Roseman to the top GM.

Games aren't won on paper. The Chiefs only real weaknesses are both tackle positions and WR, but that D is stacked and young. They probably had 2 of the 10 best CBs in the NFL on the same team.

Veech is awesome. That Hill trade was mocked, but it won them 2 rings just as much as Reid and Pat.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:37 pm I'm going to call my shot at a 5 year deal for $200M total value with $75M guaranteed.
That's a nice, pretty way of saying a 2 year/$60mil deal.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:32 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:26 pm

Again, you've made the point 1,000 times to a message board. None of us have the power to sign/not sign him.

So you're saying that the next time someone brings up a long term deal for Mayfield, I can tell them to continue to beat the dead horse? Or are only the blind homer opinions ok to continually repeat?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:53 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:37 pm I'm going to call my shot at a 5 year deal for $200M total value with $75M guaranteed.
That's a nice, pretty way of saying a 2 year/$60mil deal.
Fair and reasonable for both sides don't you think? Helps us afford Evans and AWJr. Play well and he gets the back end and/or restructures/extends.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Have we reached a resolution led by consensus on what Baker's contract should look like? No? I will check back in a week.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Jonny wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:47 pm Have we reached a resolution led by consensus on what Baker's contract should look like? No? I will check back in a week.
Where’s the fun in that?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:22 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:32 pm

So you're saying that the next time someone brings up a long term deal for Mayfield, I can tell them to continue to beat the dead horse? Or are only the blind homer opinions ok to continually repeat?
You know that is not what he is saying. You keep telling a board who has no control on what contract Mayfield will get that it's going to screw the team unless is 3 years/75 million and only a year fully guaranteed. We all know how you and @acmillis feel about Mayfield so warning "us" is nothing but beating a dead horse
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:04 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:22 pm

You know that is not what he is saying. You keep telling a board who has no control on what contract Mayfield will get that it's going to screw the team unless is 3 years/75 million and only a year fully guaranteed. We all know how you and @acmillis feel about Mayfield so warning "us" is nothing but beating a dead horse
That’s fine and fair. But don’t be astonished when that dead horse lifts its head and laughs at all the Baker believers in 9 months
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

What if you're wrong?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Phantom wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:33 pm What if you're wrong?
I think the inevitable conclusion is that we'll all be right, but from 2 different perspectives. Next year, they can go 8-9 and some of us will say, "see, he's an average QB and we finished with an average record", while others will say "see, we were in the mix and competitive".

In the end, the Bucs will be around .500 (a game or 2, maybe 3... over or under), during Mayfield's tenure here in Tampa. There's a chance we'll make the playoffs during that time and most likely be 1 and done. If I had to guess, I'm going to say that we'll be 7-10 next year, 9-8 the following year, and 8-9 in the 3rd. Let's hope Licht and Co (if they're still here), pull the plug on the experiment at this point in time and move on.

Our best chance to be a contender with Mayfield, would be if Licht and Bowles can build a 1985 Bears/2000 Ravens/2002 Bucs defense in a very short period of time.
Last edited by CannonFire on Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.