Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

MJW

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:27 pm
Dread wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:22 pm
What offense are you referring to here?
That no huddle spread Gabbert was part of at Missouri. He put up pedestrian numbers. Started 26 games in college, 40 TD passes to 18 picks.

I remember the heated debates on the UTBBBB during that draft season. People were pushing Gabbert past Cam Newton as the top prospect in that draft when it wasn't even close to begin with. He was never that guy. And still isn't.
Yep. Chase Daniels played in the same offense. His Senior Year, he put up 39 TDs, 4335 Yards, and a 72.9% completion.

Gabbert's Senior Year, two years later, he threw 16 TDs, 3186 Yards, and a 63.4% Completion. Chase Daniel literally tripled his passing TDs, threw for over 1,000 more yards, and completed almost 10% more of his passes. And Daniels was a great college QB, but nobody confused him with a great NFL prospect.

The Gabbert push was weird. It was very manufactured. He had everything you want in a quarterback, except the ability to play quarterback. You could see that watching him. You could see that in the numbers above. But again, 6'5 230, looked like a force of nature throwing against air, legit 4.6 speed, real winner/alpha kinda personality, insane wonderlick scores, presented himself very well. Just couldn't play football.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

I liked Jake Locker in that draft, because I'm just going to lean the hell in to how bad my record of evaluating college QBs has been.

(In my defense, I also loved Tyrod Taylor and was shocked he fell to the 5th. And he's had a really nice career.)
Let's roll another joint
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

MJW wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:38 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:27 pm

That no huddle spread Gabbert was part of at Missouri. He put up pedestrian numbers. Started 26 games in college, 40 TD passes to 18 picks.

I remember the heated debates on the UTBBBB during that draft season. People were pushing Gabbert past Cam Newton as the top prospect in that draft when it wasn't even close to begin with. He was never that guy. And still isn't.
Yep. Chase Daniels played in the same offense. His Senior Year, he put up 39 TDs, 4335 Yards, and a 72.9% completion.

Gabbert's Senior Year, two years later, he threw 16 TDs, 3186 Yards, and a 63.4% Completion. Chase Daniel literally tripled his passing TDs, threw for over 1,000 more yards, and completed almost 10% more of his passes. And Daniels was a great college QB, but nobody confused him with a great NFL prospect.

The Gabbert push was weird. It was very manufactured. He had everything you want in a quarterback, except the ability to play quarterback. You could see that watching him. You could see that in the numbers above. But again, 6'5 230, looked like a force of nature throwing against air, legit 4.6 speed, real winner/alpha kinda personality, insane wonderlick scores, presented himself very well. Just couldn't play football.
Who was that guy who the 9ers took over brady? Carmazzi or something? I dont know about the personality / wonderlick on him, but wasnt he pretty gifted physically? Obv reach then and hindsight.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Bucsfan83 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:15 pm

Who was that guy who the 9ers took over brady? Carmazzi or something? I dont know about the personality / wonderlick on him, but wasnt he pretty gifted physically? Obv reach then and hindsight.
Giovanni Carmazzi of Hofstra.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

He was physically gifted. But he played at Hofstra. I wouldn't say they specifically took him over Brady either. Carmazzi was taken in the 3rd round and there were 4 QBs taken between Carmazzi and Brady, including Marc Bulger who had a couple of good years with the (STL) Rams.

It's also quote possible Brady never sees the field in San Francisco. Jeff Garcia was basically tagged the QBOTF as soon as Steve Young was lost for the year due to another concussion in 99. He went on to have several good seasons with the Niners.
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:18 pm

He was physically gifted. But he played at Hofstra. I wouldn't say they specifically took him over Brady either. Carmazzi was taken in the 3rd round and there were 4 QBs taken between Carmazzi and Brady, including Marc Bulger who had a couple of good years with the (STL) Rams.

It's also quote possible Brady never sees the field in San Francisco. Jeff Garcia was basically tagged the QBOTF as soon as Steve Young was lost for the year due to another concussion in 99. He went on to have several good seasons with the Niners.
I believe in the Tom Brady documentary Steve Mariucci actually says the whole QB debacle with Tom Brady made him not select him. Like, "Is there something wrong with him?" type of thing. I'd have to find the exact quote. Then they took Carmazzi to develop I believe, but he obviously did nothing. Fair point about Garcia.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:27 am Give me putting it in Salma Hayek's thick ass as she eats Kristine Leahy's sweet honey hole.
I don’t even like you, but I would watch that video.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Bucsfan83 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:57 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:18 pm

I believe in the Tom Brady documentary Steve Mariucci actually says the whole QB debacle with Tom Brady made him not select him. Like, "Is there something wrong with him?" type of thing. I'd have to find the exact quote. Then they took Carmazzi to develop I believe, but he obviously did nothing. Fair point about Garcia.
Mooch commented how the 49ers at the time were looking for a mobile QB to replace Steve Young (as Bootz pointed out) there that Gino's Carmazzi guy was a more appealing prospect.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:43 pm I liked Jake Locker in that draft, because I'm just going to lean the hell in to how bad my record of evaluating college QBs has been.

(In my defense, I also loved Tyrod Taylor and was shocked he fell to the 5th. And he's had a really nice career.)
How could you? Even Tim Tebow completed 2/3s his passes at Florida. This schlub was barely about 50%, never had a season at 60%.
MJW

Post by MJW »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:38 pm
MJW wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:43 pm I liked Jake Locker in that draft, because I'm just going to lean the hell in to how bad my record of evaluating college QBs has been.

How could you? Even Tim Tebow completed 2/3s his passes at Florida. This schlub was barely about 50%, never had a season at 60%.
I know, I know. It was a rare transgression on my part towards raw talent over production. Dude had ALL the tools and he really impressed me with his leadership style and how much the UW program LOVED him. I remember the AD saying that they were looping him in on their coaching search - when have you ever heard that about a college player?

Sadly, he was the same player with the Titans he was with the Huskies. Incredible athlete, huge arm, too inaccurate, couldn't read a defense. So it goes.
Let's roll another joint
Nano

Post by Nano »

That, and his body broke if the wind blew on him
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nano wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:20 am That, and his body broke if the wind blew on him
Yeah, that too. Credit where it's due, though. He signed his 4 Year, $12 Mil contract, played out the deal, probably pocketed maybe $8 mil of it, and said, "okay, I'm good" and walked away at like 26. Last I heard he owns/operates a profitable gym in his hometown. Unless he's stupid, his family is set for life and he's going to be able to walk to the bathroom when he's 60.
Let's roll another joint
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:32 amand he's going to be able to walk to the bathroom when he's 60.
Unless the wind blows on him on the way.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Obsolete wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:47 am
MJW wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:32 amand he's going to be able to walk to the bathroom when he's 60.
Unless the wind blows on him on the way.
Tooooooooo-shay.
Let's roll another joint
Nano

Post by Nano »

The man views wind chimes as a tornado siren
Kona

Post by Kona »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... this-good/

Arians talks about Gabbert potentially starting the year.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Tom Brady's retirement leaves a G.O.A.T.-sized hole in Tampa Bay, where the quarterback position is the biggest question mark entering the 2022 season.

With Kyle Trask the only QB under contract for 2022, the Buccaneers have been mentioned as players in a potential trade for a veteran. Tampa could also look to the free-agent market, where former Bucs QB Jameis Winston and Teddy Bridgewater are the top names. There is also another option: Bring back Blaine Gabbert as a stop-gap.

Coach Bruce Arians, who brought Gabbert to Tampa in 2019 after working with the QB in 2017 in Arizona, talked up that option.

"People may not like the overall record, but Blaine had eight head coaches and eight coordinators his first eight years," Arians said, via Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times. "He beat Jacksonville their best year and beat Tennessee their big year for us in Arizona. And he's been in the system now. I don't have a problem there and let Kyle continue to grow. Either one. (Gabbert) has never played with a team this good. He's got all the respect in the locker room that he can have."

Gabbert, who is set to be a free agent, hasn't started a game since 2018 with the Tennessee Titans, being relegated to relief duty of Brady the past two seasons. The 6-foot-5 former first-round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars has the physical traits to run Arians' system and the knowledge of the offense to hold down the fort. But he's just 13-35 as a starter and struggled in a full-time role.

It's easy for Arians to pontificate about the possibility of riding Gabbert and/or Trask in February. Still, it will be no surprise if general manager Jason Licht opts for a splash play once the QB dominoes begin to fall in the coming weeks and months.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bruce Arians with Blaine Gabbert

Dread

Post by Dread »

FTR I would like to reiterate that I'm not pushing for Blaine Gabbert to the starting QB nor would he be my preferred option.

That said, there seems to be a larger than expected portion of the fanbase who don't/didn't seem to realize the probability of it happening.

Again, we can have our wish list for names likes Wilson, Rodgers, Watson, etc but the fact is ALL of the good options are under contract with a different team.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:01 pm FTR I would like to reiterate that I'm not pushing for Blaine Gabbert to the starting QB nor would he be my preferred option.

That said, there seems to be a larger than expected portion of the fanbase who don't/didn't seem to realize the probability of it happening.

Again, we can have our wish list for names likes Wilson, Rodgers, Watson, etc but the fact is ALL of the good options are under contract with a different team.

Who we want and draft position are at the same camp ground.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Blaine is worst case scenario. Even if we can’t land a big name there should be several options still better than fucking Blaine. There’s no chance BA wants to coach possibly his last year with that scrub at the helm.
Kona

Post by Kona »

I’m fully expecting Gabbert/Trask option. Other than Rogers/Wilson/Watson/Carr pipe dreams, it would probably be a lateral move to bring in Jimmy G at 26 mil vs Gabberts 5 mil.

If we do go this route we better sign back Godwin/Jensen and Co.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Kona wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:55 pm I’m fully expecting Gabbert/Trask option. Other than Rogers/Wilson/Watson/Carr pipe dreams, it would probably be a lateral move to bring in Jimmy G at 26 mil vs Gabberts 5 mil.

If we do go this route we better sign back Godwin/Jensen and Co.
Jimmy G would be an upgrade over Gabbert and bridge the gap to Trask or the next guy we draft.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Blaine Gabbert has made a combined $6.6mil over the last 4 years. The idea that we would give him a salary of $5mil is repulsive at best.
Kona

Post by Kona »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:39 pm Blaine Gabbert has made a combined $6.6mil over the last 4 years. The idea that we would give him a salary of $5mil is repulsive at best.
You’re right, thought he made 5 but it was only 2mil last year. My point still stands it’s probably better to pay him 2 with Trask in the wings (while getting our key guys back) vs Jimmy G at 26 (and not).

Neither option inspires a ton of confidence for me, just the most likely scenarios IMO.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:39 pm Blaine Gabbert has made a combined $6.6mil over the last 4 years. The idea that we would give him a salary of $5mil is repulsive at best.
Prepare to be repulsed

If the Bucs can't land Watson or some other big name and it's Gabbert/Trask competing for QB1 then Gabbert will make more than $5M.

Unlike the past few years when Gabbert was signed to be the back-up, if there is opportunity for him to win the starting job he will have incentives in his contract tied to starts/playing time which will allow him to earn in excess of $5M if he starts even half the games.
Dread

Post by Dread »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:11 pm
Dread wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:01 pm FTR I would like to reiterate that I'm not pushing for Blaine Gabbert to the starting QB nor would he be my preferred option.

This QB class is terrible, plus I'd bet anything the Bucs don't draft a QB before day 3 (if at all).
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

There's a local guy here that's always been pretty good with Bucs' news as he's from Tampa. Sometimes he has huge misses, but has been early on some other things. He claims to have been told that in the absence of getting one of the big QBs like Watson, Wilson, etc. it would be Gabbert as the starter and then Trask would compete (Griffin?) for the back-up role.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

After looking at the QB landscape, I'm fine with Gabbert being brought back and being the supposed starter. If Trask beats him out, so be it.

Gabbert was in Jacksonville for only 3 years, his coach(ES), were Jack DelRio, Mel Tucker, Mike Mularky, & Gus Bradley. That's right, 4 different head coaches in 3 years. His OC's were Dirk Koetter, Bob Bratkowski, & Jedd Fisch. Talk about a recipe for disaster. You know who else started like that? Alex Smith. Oddly enough, he then goes to San Francisco and has Harbaugh & Greg Roman as his HC/OC, the year after that he had Jim Tomsula & Geep Chryst as his HC/OC. But why stop 5 years in a row with a new HC AND (not or), OC, when we can keep going.

In his 3rd year in San Fran, 6th year in the league, his HC was Chip Kelly and Curtis Modkins was his OC. Let's keep this ball rolling though, right? In Year 7 in the league, he goes to Arizona where he has Bruce Arians (his 8th new HC), as his 8th coach and 7th OC (Harold Goodwin). But wait, year 8, he has his 9th HC in Mike Vrabel and his 8th OC, Matt LaFleur (whom even Aaron Rodgers didn't like). It wasn't until his 9th year in the league where he had a familiarity with his HC. Alex Smith had this issue and he turned out to be pretty good in KC with Andy Reid.

In Gabbert's first 3 seasons, he played in 28 games (started 27), he completed 53% of his passes for 4357 yards with 22 TD's and 24 Int's. Alex Smith's numbers were worse. He completed 54% of his passes for 4679 yards with 19 TD's and 31 Int's, in 30 starts (32 games).

I'd much rather run with Gabbert as my QB for 2022 than trade up, draft, trade for, or acquire any other QB. There are no QB's in this draft worth trading up for. It doesn't appear that any are even worth drafting... though, one could fall to us for that very reason. Who are we going to trade for (Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson?), that we can afford? No one. Who are we going to sign (Dalton, Fitzpatrick, or Flacco?), who has a better chance of succeeding? No one. Gabbert's been here for 3 years. He's been with Arians for 4, and Leftwich/Goodwin for 4. I'm much more comfortable siding with Gabbert for 2022 than anyone else.

If he proves to be Alex Smith 2.0, great, sign me up. If not, maybe he loses his job to Trask and/or Trask takes a big step forward and becomes the guy. Worst case scenario is that we're picking in the top 5 in 2023 and can draft our franchise QB next year in a class which, right now, appears to be much better.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

It didn't take Alex Smith 11 years to prove he could play the QB position functionally well.

I have a hard time believing the guy above me believes a damn word he said
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:59 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:11 pm
This QB class is terrible, plus I'd bet anything the Bucs don't draft a QB before day 3 (if at all).

Meant next year.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

The advantage of having Gabbert or Trask as our QB is keeping other quality players. The advantage of a high profile QB is just that, one position is good and we'll be struggling to fill some holes. Let's get to the playoffs and I'll be happy.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

All this talk about Gabbert is premature.

Blaine ain't on the roster, and there's a non-zero chance that he can raise his price so high that we either can't or won't resign him.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Cheb wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:39 pm All this talk about Gabbert is premature.

Blaine ain't on the roster, and there's a non-zero chance that he can raise his price so high that we either can't or won't resign him.

No kidding, THIS
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think we really wanted one more year from Brady before moving on to Trask. If Gabbert needs to bridge, I'm fine with it. We've been through worse.

I mean, the Gabbert tape speaks for itself, sure. But hero-worshiping aside eight head coaches and eight coordinators his first eight years would be a death sentence for any QB, I don't care who you are.