2022 Training camp thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: 2022 Training camp thread

Post by King Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:34 pm No note of Godwin back in camp?
He returned to action but didn't do any live reps. Only did positional drills to test the knee out.

Far cry from the supposed rumor of him running full speed in May.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:04 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:01 pm I wanted Calvin so bad. Or Joe Thomas. Or Adrian Peterson. Or Darrelle Revis. 7 Hall of Famers in the top 15 picks. RIP, Gaines.
Did you get lost?
Try to follow along.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Nano wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:28 am
Pirate Life wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:29 pm

Never gone from the internet.
Kind of scary that the dude in his second year in the league...and that's a pass he throws. The thing is too, it's not like this was an off-pass of a great camp that the media just happened to catch. This guy has been total shit since camp begins. If anything, maybe worse than last year. Doesn't even sound like the kid is good enough to be a backup.
Licht missed badly.
Backside

Post by Backside »

I wonder if Arian’s was pounding the table for Trask. If so, I wonder if that soured Brady on BA even more once he got a look at him.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Backside wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:00 am I wonder if Arian’s was pounding the table for Trask. If so, I wonder if that soured Brady on BA even more once he got a look at him.
Tall? Limited mobility? Strong arm? Throwback type?

Trask is the prototypical BA QB.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

This might be the first or second time I've ever defended Licht.

But when it comes to Trask, we moved on from Winston after all those years. So who is the guy you develop so you hope he can be "the guy"? Granted, BA/Licht missed very badly on this. But the thought process is not one I'm going to criticize that severely. For all we knew, Brady was gonna say "Fuck it" and retire if we ran it back. He kinda, sorta already did. If Trask was showing signs of life I don't think many of us would be this critical of it. Sometimes you swing and miss and sometimes you draft a guy who makes "that" throw without pressure.

But for all the shit I have to be mad about with Licht, this is near the bottom for me. We probably should've went back to the SB last year and using that pick on Trask was the last thing on everyone's mind not named LUGZ. We spent all these years hoping, pleading, PRAYING, we'd ever see the Promised Land again. Because we did I just don't have the energy to be angry about this
Snake

Post by Snake »

In my opinion, unless the value was absolutely amazing every draft pick post-Brady signing should be guys who have the best chance of contributing in this window. Floor over projects. Trask was the furthest thing from that and he was a second round pick. Would be nice having that pick invested in an interior offensive lineman or secondary player right now.

At this point it was just a big miss. It’s hard to see it any other way. If they didn’t know that he needed a mechanics overhaul before he got here, they didn’t know what they were looking at. If Arians wanted his prototype for post-Brady life, then why did he retire? If the idea was for him to be the primary back up, why is trash Gabbert still above him in the depth chart?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Even if Trask is a big miss, was there going to be a better time to try and get a hit? We all know that Brady is going to leave a void. Filling that void is going to be the top priority for this franchise when it comes.

I'd start eyeballing quarterbacks that are going to be free agents next year or get ready to burn a few draft picks trying to find the next Joe Burrow.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Rest my case!

Finish them off before you can accumulate them - it's a losing formula.
Snake

Post by Snake »

my opinion, but selecting an athletically limited 5th year senior with only adequate arm strength and iffy mechanics doesn’t present the upside necessary to take that swing in the 2nd round.

But, I’ll be wrong a lot more going forward. So who knows.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Snake wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:48 pm my opinion, but selecting an athletically limited 5th year senior with only “adequate” arm strength and iffy mechanics doesn’t present the upside necessary to take that swing in the 2nd round.

But, I’ll be wrong a lot more going forward. So who knows.
I'm not bitter about it.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:41 pm Even if Trask is a big miss, was there going to be a better time to try and get a hit? We all know that Brady is going to leave a void. Filling that void is going to be the top priority for this franchise when it comes.

I'd start eyeballing quarterbacks that are going to be free agents next year or get ready to burn a few draft picks trying to find the next Joe Burrow.
The whole team is coming down... not the time to find a QB that will just get destroyed.

Need to start with the basics. That line is looking a little thin these days...
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Snake wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:54 am
Nano wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:28 am
Kind of scary that the dude in his second year in the league...and that's a pass he throws. The thing is too, it's not like this was an off-pass of a great camp that the media just happened to catch. This guy has been total shit since camp begins. If anything, maybe worse than last year. Doesn't even sound like the kid is good enough to be a backup.
Licht missed badly.
Well at least he wasn't taken with an early pick that could've netted an actual contributor to the team...oh, wait...
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:06 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:54 am

Licht missed badly.
Well at least he wasn't taken with an early pick that could've netted an actual contributor to the team...oh, wait...
If we end up winning two out of the last three super bowls does it even matter?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:21 pm
No, it definitely won’t matter in that scenario.

But if we lose games/seeding that spirals into negative playoff position that correlates to a too-early exit…because of poor LG or C play (or if our season outright ends early because interior pressure leads to a Brady injury)… then it very much will matter.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Nobody wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:08 pm

But if we lose games/seeding that spirals into negative playoff position that correlates to a too-early exit…because of poor LG or C play (or if our season outright ends early because interior pressure leads to a Brady injury)… then it very much will matter.
I don't think a second round pick that hasn't seen the field is going to be the tipping point for the franchise. Handing him the keys could, but I doubt they will at this point.
Snake

Post by Snake »

That’s kind of the point. Another second rounder used in that spot could be seeing the field. Instead of being the fourth string quarterback.
Process versus result orientation. You need some of both. But often times focusing too much on the end result can overlook problems that occurred in the process. It comes down to maximizing your probabilities of winning. Taking Trask was not doing that.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Snake wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:27 pm That’s kind of the point. Another second rounder used in that spot could be seeing the field. Instead of being the fourth string quarterback.
Process versus result orientation. You need some of both. But often times focusing too much on the end result can overlook problems that occurred in the process. It comes down to maximizing your probabilities of winning. Taking Trask was not doing that.
The process is to sign as many free agents as possible to get a championship now and backfill the roster depth with rookies.

It's paying dividends so I don't give a shit if the 2nd round QB is a bust. It would have been malpractice to not even try to find a QBOTF.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Wow, one clip, and this board collapses. Too funny.

For starters, statistically, it was always more likely that Trask was a miss than a hit. With that said, I still think Trask is as good as any bet to beat the odds that we can have on the roster right now. I mean if you asked me right now, would you like to see if your coaching staff can groom the guy who finished 4th in Heisman voting to take over in 3 years or just go without a plan and hope you draft some rookie savior or get some banger FA signing when Brady walks next year... I'm going to tell you I'll take the kid.

Will he work out? Likely not, but you know what I still haven't seen anything besides some silly practice clips to really take me off the bandwagon yet. So yes, I'll still take the hedge.
Snake

Post by Snake »

SB winning team:

Wirfs started as a rookie.
Winfield started as a rookie.
White was a second year player.
SMB was a second year player.
Whitehead, Cappa, CD3, and RJII were 3rd year players.

Agree to disagree on QBOTF.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

None of those are the QB position. Lets not pretend like we all of the sudden forgot how hard it is to hit on QB. 3rd rounder, first rounder, first overall, other veterans. We know.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The mistake was drafting an average (at best) quarterback prospect in the second round during a once-in-a-lifetime championship window.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Doctor wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:55 pm Wow, one clip, and this board collapses. Too funny.

For starters, statistically, it was always more likely that Trask was a miss than a hit. With that said, I still think Trask is as good as any bet to beat the odds that we can have on the roster right now. I mean if you asked me right now, would you like to see if your coaching staff can groom the guy who finished 4th in Heisman voting to take over in 3 years or just go without a plan and hope you draft some rookie savior or get some banger FA signing when Brady walks next year... I'm going to tell you I'll take the kid.

Will he work out? Likely not, but you know what I still haven't seen anything besides some silly practice clips to really take me off the bandwagon yet. So yes, I'll still take the hedge.

These are his "highlights." Watch the passes. Just watch them. How can a man at this stage of the game not throw a decent spiral?

Snake

Post by Snake »

I’m pretty sure I was calling for a developmental QB that draft, as well. The second round is tough though. And I would’ve preferred to bet on a better athlete vs a stiff older one like Trask. IIWII I guess.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We wanna wait for a preseason game first? No? Okay.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I’ve got a bad feeling that this is a very likely scenario.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:22 pm

I don't think a second round pick that hasn't seen the field is going to be the tipping point for the franchise. Handing him the keys could, but I doubt they will at this point.
The point is that pick could've been used on someone who could and likely would be contributing now - a guard, or a cornerback, or a tight end. It could've been used on a pick that might have made the difference in our loss to the Rams in the divisional round.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Snake wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:55 pm SB winning team:

Wirfs started as a rookie.
Winfield started as a rookie.
White was a second year player.
SMB was a second year player.
Whitehead, Cappa, CD3, and RJII were 3rd year players.

Agree to disagree on QBOTF.
And with a lesser player in Wirfs' spot we wouldn't have gotten there in the first place. See the divisional round last January.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:56 am
The point is that pick could've been used on someone who could and likely would be contributing now - a guard, or a cornerback, or a tight end. It could've been used on a pick that might have made the difference in our loss to the Rams in the divisional round.
Oh, come on.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Trask is the new Christian Hackenberg. Hell, he may never be active for an NFL game, let alone play in one. Huge miss by the FO, but Licht has given us more good than bad. His bad is pretty damn bad though.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:56 am
Hindsight is 20/20. Brady wasn’t even signed for this year iirc when we drafted Trask. He added that option later.

Trask’s a give him time like Aaron Rodgers like pick. No one said he was Mr. Psychadelic, but hey… the idea was understood.
Backside

Post by Backside »

It is possible to like Licht and think the Bucs are in okay shape while still thinking the Trask pick sucked and is very hard to justify no matter how you look at it.

I feel like some here can’t make that distinction. It’s not the first or last bad draft pick we will witness. It was an important one though. So it gets some extra discussion around here.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Backside wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:41 am It is possible to like Licht and think the Bucs are in okay shape while still thinking the Trask pick sucked and is very hard to justify no matter how you look at it.

I feel like some here can’t make that distinction. It’s not the first or last bad draft pick we will witness. It was an important one though. So it gets some extra discussion around here.
People want an excuse for last year front office wise.

It was a bad pick. Every team whiffs sometimes.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Snake wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:01 pm The mistake was drafting an average (at best) quarterback prospect in the second round during a once-in-a-lifetime championship window.
We won a Superbowl
Were then one game (one play?) from a second Superbowl appearance
And now have a very real shot at another

And there’s still a chance that our second round QB pans out.

The sky isn’t falling over this Trask pick like some of you make it out to be.

All we have is a depth chart, a couple of practice clips, and a couple of preseason games to go off of. AKA everyone is purely speculating on how Trask will pan out as a professional.

Like my god, the kid may very well be a complete bust. But it’s laughable that people already claim to have seen enough to make that call. None of us have.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Tyler Johnson seems to be having a very good camp. That final WR depth chart is going to be very interesting.