Antonio NOW Officially Released.

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

Re: Antonio Brown Saga

Post by Snake »

ATrain wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:10 am This is just a mess now. Doesn't BA do a presser on Thursdays? If so, that should be interesting.

You know, what if all this happened just because of a tragic misunderstanding on the sidelines? What if both BA and AB have culpability?

And here's something wild and crazy: What if both admitted their blame, did a joint press conference, and did the adult thing by apologizing and moving on?

I know, I know. This is science fiction type talk. But what if....
The worst thing you can do is acknowledge this publicly, in my opinion. Special press conference is definitely off the table. “We are on to Carolina.”
Kress

Post by Kress »

So, we're buying into the narrative that AB believes his head coach has the authority, mid-game, to unilaterally cut him from the team through the use of hand gestures?

Random story - and not that this has any relevance to anything here - but my wife and I go to the gym together most nights. We work out separately, but we are both there at the same time. After about an hour or so, I'll start looking around, and we'll catch each other's eyes from across the room. She will often make a throat slashing gesture with her hand, and I will nod back at her. I've never taken those as repeated statements of her intent to divorce or my agreement to divorce. It is just what we do because we can't effectively speak to each other in the moment. But the end result is that we both just walk to our respective locker rooms and get ready to hop back in our car and go home together.

I'm not sure why I thought that was a story worth telling. But anyway, have you ever noticed how loud NFL stadiums get when the opposing team's offense is on the field? And how chaotic sidelines are when coaches are trying to substitute in guys and call plays and whatnot? Crazy down there.
Last edited by Kress on Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

If only we let him go after the vax card fiasco…….
Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

Snake wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:18 pm This is a weird one. I don’t care too much overall because both will go down in history as champions for our Buccaneers. It’s fun to talk about though.

I also don’t know if shit like the injury tent even apply here. There’s a long chain of evidence that Brown’s ankle is fucked up. As recently as a few days before the game. If a 33-year-old Hall of Fame wide receiver tells you he can’t go, you just have to take his word.
It was the team medics who cleared Brown to play, pregame. BA was simply attempting to use the players available to him. If Brown’s medical status changed during the game, BA would have been so informed. Seems like a simple case of Brown realizing he fucked up and is now trying to look like less of an asshole. I see no culpability on BA’s part.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Great thing about this statement is all of the easily verifiable information. Wait and see. Wait and see.
Dread

Post by Dread »

It seems possible, even probable that this happened b/c of a misunderstanding, or atleast is being positioned that way. It very well may be true that Arians told AB that "You're done" when AB told him this he couldn't go into the game b/c of his ankle.

AB seemed to interpret the 'You're done' comment as being cut from the team right then and there. Which would be completely unprecedented in the history of professional football. Maybe even professional sports as a whole.

It seems more likely (far more imo) that when Arains told Brown that 'You're done' it was in the context for that game. As in, 'OK AB, if you're injured then you're done (for today).

It's important to remember that AB and his lawyer need to position this a specific way for an upcoming grievance in attempt to recoup some money. Just like after his unceremonious departure from the Raiders.

If an NFL player feels they are too injured to be on the field they just need to tell the trainer, and the trainer lets the HC know that player is unavailable. That never happened here and unfortunately the HC and player seemed to have a miscommunication.

Coaches/Teams never cut players during a game due to injury. But that is basically what AB is selling here, right?
Dread

Post by Dread »

Kress wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:09 am So, we're buying into the narrative that AB believes his head coach has the authority, mid-game, to unilaterally cut him from the team through the use of hand gestures?
It makes for a great story that will get lots of clicks. Thus the truth is largely irrelevant.
Kress

Post by Kress »

The most I can picture - and this is me pulling out of my ass, but isn't that what we're all doing? - is coach telling AB to go in, but AB saying he can't just then. Maybe his ankle was bothering him, and maybe he was in pain, but he hadn't said anything to the trainers because he did want to return to the game later (hello bonuses), but not just then. Coach tells him if he's not good enough to go in right then, it's not going to get better later, so go in now or you're done (with gesture!). As in, if you're not good to go right now, I'm shutting you down for the day. Go put a ballcap on, sit next to your guys on the bench, and help look at film.

But no. AB is not getting what he wants, so AB goes all AB, and you saw the rest.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Pretty much.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:18 am
ATrain wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:10 am This is just a mess now. Doesn't BA do a presser on Thursdays? If so, that should be interesting.

You know, what if all this happened just because of a tragic misunderstanding on the sidelines? What if both BA and AB have culpability?

And here's something wild and crazy: What if both admitted their blame, did a joint press conference, and did the adult thing by apologizing and moving on?

I know, I know. This is science fiction type talk. But what if....
That's not happening. Moving on at this point is AB being put on IR and his season is over or an injury settlement. He won't be cut. Won't be suspended. But trust is gone to shit now. BA may not care about the teams imagine or credibility but the Tampa Bay Buccaneers sure as hell do.

No one to blame but themselves for bringing this chaos to the team.
"This chaos"

Yeah, I think they'll accept the blame gladly.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Dread wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:33 am It seems possible, even probable that this happened b/c of a misunderstanding, or atleast is being positioned that way. It very well may be true that Arians told AB that "You're done" when AB told him this he couldn't go into the game b/c of his ankle.

AB seemed to interpret the 'You're done' comment as being cut from the team right then and there. Which would be completely unprecedented in the history of professional football. Maybe even professional sports as a whole.

It seems more likely (far more imo) that when Arains told Brown that 'You're done' it was in the context for that game. As in, 'OK AB, if you're injured then you're done (for today).

It's important to remember that AB and his lawyer need to position this a specific way for an upcoming grievance in attempt to recoup some money. Just like after his unceremonious departure from the Raiders.

If an NFL player feels they are too injured to be on the field they just need to tell the trainer, and the trainer lets the HC know that player is unavailable. That never happened here and unfortunately the HC and player seemed to have a miscommunication.

Coaches/Teams never cut players during a game due to injury. But that is basically what AB is selling here, right?
Maybe, but I also wouldn't discount BA being more aggressive harsh towards AB, especially after the Vax card...where it appeared BA wanted him gone. I could see a situation where BA said you're done and meant with the Bucs out of anger even though he doesn't have that ability.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Kress wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:48 am The most I can picture - and this is me pulling out of my ass, but isn't that what we're all doing? - is coach telling AB to go in, but AB saying he can't just then. Maybe his ankle was bothering him, and maybe he was in pain, but he hadn't said anything to the trainers because he did want to return to the game later (hello bonuses), but not just then. Coach tells him if he's not good enough to go in right then, it's not going to get better later, so go in now or you're done (with gesture!). As in, if you're not good to go right now, I'm shutting you down for the day. Go put a ballcap on, sit next to your guys on the bench, and help look at film.

But no. AB is not getting what he wants, so AB goes all AB, and you saw the rest.
Understand it's speculation, but based on what has been reported by all sides I think this is likely close to what happened.

Arians made the mistake of directly involving himself (I get he is the HC), but in hindsight he should've immediately got the trainer involved and told the trainer that 'If AB can't return to the game now b/c of his ankle injury then let him know we're just going to leave him on the bench to prevent further aggravation/damage to the ankle'.

As for what Arians and Bucs should say in addressing the recent allegations from AB, just tell the truth, that AB said he was injured and couldn't back in the game so I told him he was done for the game then.

AB obviously wanted to play in that Jets game heading into it. So lets not pretend the Bucs forced him into the line-up that day.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:52 am
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:18 am

That's not happening. Moving on at this point is AB being put on IR and his season is over or an injury settlement. He won't be cut. Won't be suspended. But trust is gone to shit now. BA may not care about the teams imagine or credibility but the Tampa Bay Buccaneers sure as hell do.

No one to blame but themselves for bringing this chaos to the team.
"This chaos"

Yeah, I think they'll accept the blame gladly.
If it were worth it, there would be no statement from BA saying he's no longer a Buc.

You're using a result from last year to validate issues going on today. At best that's being willfully naive and oblivious. If you think the Bucs will gladly accept blame here, in this situation being medical negligence as well as lying on BAs
BAs part, come check out my beach house in Kansas.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Dread wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:58 am
Kress wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:48 am The most I can picture - and this is me pulling out of my ass, but isn't that what we're all doing? - is coach telling AB to go in, but AB saying he can't just then. Maybe his ankle was bothering him, and maybe he was in pain, but he hadn't said anything to the trainers because he did want to return to the game later (hello bonuses), but not just then. Coach tells him if he's not good enough to go in right then, it's not going to get better later, so go in now or you're done (with gesture!). As in, if you're not good to go right now, I'm shutting you down for the day. Go put a ballcap on, sit next to your guys on the bench, and help look at film.

Understand it's speculation, but based on what has been reported by all sides I think this is likely close to what happened.

Arians made the mistake of directly involving himself (I get he is the HC), but in hindsight he should've immediately got the trainer involved and told the trainer that 'If AB can't return to the game now b/c of his ankle injury then let him know we're just going to leave him on the bench to prevent further aggravation/damage to the ankle'.

As for what Arians and Bucs should say in addressing the recent allegations from AB, just tell the truth, that AB said he was injured and couldn't back in the game so I told him he was done for the game then.

AB obviously wanted to play in that Jets game heading into it. So lets not pretend the Bucs forced him into the line-up that day.
I don't see a scenario where BA comes out looking good. AB will need surgery on his ankle, he more than likely received a toradol shot, he probably said he was hurt....Again, public opinion will condemn the Bucs/BA, but also again, if it doesn't result in suspensions and we can still win...do we as fans care?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm saying the "let's ride this until we can't no more" tactic with a volatile player like AB resulted in pretty much EXACTLY the way everyone expected it to. You win with him, win a chip with him..... maaaaaybe two.... but sooner or later it's gonna blow.

I don't get what is shocking in any of this. This entire sage played out pretty much exactly on script. Only wish it could've gone a few more weeks before the big finale.
Dread

Post by Dread »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:57 am
Dread wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:33 am It seems possible, even probable that this happened b/c of a misunderstanding, or atleast is being positioned that way. It very well may be true that Arians told AB that "You're done" when AB told him this he couldn't go into the game b/c of his ankle.

Maybe, but I also wouldn't discount BA being more aggressive harsh towards AB, especially after the Vax card...where it appeared BA wanted him gone. I could see a situation where BA said you're done and meant with the Bucs out of anger even though he doesn't have that ability.
I can certainly buy the idea that Arains has grown more frustrated with AB. But cutting a player mid-game over an injury seems very over the top, especially for a players coach like Arians has been throughout his career.

AB may have interpreted it that way, but that doesn't mean it's the truth. As you said, Arians doesn't even have that ability and even if he did he knows he would lose the locker room and likely his job and reputation over such an emotionally charged decision.

It's (obviously imo) far more likely AB had an emotional outburst that got out of hand b/c he was talked to in a way he didn't like or was told something he didn't want to hear.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:20 am
acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:14 am Gonna go ahead and say those "text exchanges" are fake, 100%. IMO, BA wouldn't start a text to a dude who has been on the team for an entire year by saying, "Hey, this is BA."

Who, one year in to their employment, does not have their bosses number saved in their phone and what boss would need to say, one year in to one of their employee's tenure, "Hey, this is your boss."

Either way, AB is a known liar, so him taking a giant deuce on the field during the game, and then saying he was fired is par for the course.
So are you saying they never communicated or that he doctored the text exchange?
My guess is that BA and AB never communicated via text message. Hell, those texts may have been posted to the interwebs by John Doe in Aimes City, Iowa just to mess with you and I.

And a couple of other things, not directly at you, @King Bootz , AB said he had a planned surgery...did he inform his employer of this? Don't those things have to go through the team...just interesting/bizarre.

Also, just going to go ahead and assume that if AB told the team he wasn't ready to play against NYJ, BA would have just deactivated him as I'm sure, in BA's mind, NYJ was a can't lose, with or without AB. There are just so many holes in AB's story...and now, go look up his posts on social media today where he's shitting on both BA and Brady...yeah, this guy is a true winner.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:09 am
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:20 am

So are you saying they never communicated or that he doctored the text exchange?
My guess is that BA and AB never communicated via text message. Hell, those texts may have been posted to the interwebs by John Doe in Aimes City, Iowa just to mess with you and I.

And a couple of other things, not directly at you, @King Bootz , AB said he had a planned surgery...did he inform his employer of this? Don't those things have to go through the team...just interesting/bizarre.

Also, just going to go ahead and assume that if AB told the team he wasn't ready to play against NYJ, BA would have just deactivated him as I'm sure, in BA's mind, NYJ was a can't lose, with or without AB. There are just so many holes in AB's story...and now, go look up his posts on social media today where he's shitting on both BA and Brady...yeah, this guy is a true winner.
Well we won't have to guess whether they communicated via text or not. That's easily verifiable as is most of the information in the statement.

His statement says he informed the Bucs about the surgery and they requested a 2nd opinion from a "junior doctor" at HSS. Again, easily verifiable.

AB Is a liar. AB doesn't have credibility. But when you provide this amount of detail that can be verified or debunked with ease, you give yourself a level of credibility in the situation.

Some reporter will ask BA if he and AB text before the game. BA can only confirm or deny that they communicated.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:09 am ...and now, go look up his posts on social media today where he's shitting on both BA and Brady...yeah, this guy is a true winner.
Don’t get it twisted. My brothers have been good to me. From Tom to practice squad, we were a top-level unit. They have been good to me and knew nothing about my talks with coach last week. The team mishandled this situation. They let me down and, more importantly, my teammates.
Doesn't sound like that...
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:24 am

Well we won't have to guess whether they communicated via text or not. That's easily verifiable as is most of the information in the statement.

His statement says he informed the Bucs about the surgery and they requested a 2nd opinion from a "junior doctor" at HSS. Again, easily verifiable.

AB Is a liar. AB doesn't have credibility. But when you provide this amount of detail that can be verified or debunked with ease, you give yourself a level of credibility in the situation.

Some reporter will ask BA if he and AB text before the game. BA can only confirm or deny that they communicated.
I'd be willing to bet that Bucs lawyers have now told all employees to say something to the effect of, "no comment" when asked about AB.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

No, he can refuse to answer the question and that is what he will do
I said what I said

Dread

Post by Dread »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:29 am
acmillis wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:09 am ...and now, go look up his posts on social media today where he's shitting on both BA and Brady...yeah, this guy is a true winner.
Don’t get it twisted. My brothers have been good to me. From Tom to practice squad, we were a top-level unit. They have been good to me and knew nothing about my talks with coach last week. The team mishandled this situation. They let me down and, more importantly, my teammates.
It's weird how it's always the teams fault for mishandling a situation with AB.

He's got to be the unluckiest player in NFL history :P
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Babeinbucland wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:34 am

No, he can refuse to answer the question and that is what he will do
In the interim, absolutely. But if people are to be believed that the Bucs are trying not to pay him and get rid of him, that is information that will be confirmed 1 way or another. We also don't know the impact a denial will have on the locker room. A lot of these players are very close with AB and support him still. BA lying or denying could cause friction and damage trust. Not what you want when you're trying to win a championship.

I hate should, coulda, wouldas, but we should've let him go 2 weeks ago.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Dread wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am

It's weird how it's always the teams fault for mishandling a situation with AB.

He's got to be the unluckiest player in NFL history :P
I mean despite most people believing AB, this is clearly on AB and his antics, regardless of what he thought in the game, but I also don't discount that BA made missteps, too. He's a players coach, but he also talks without thinking...As I said last night...No matter what the story is, the truth is:

BA being BA and AB being AB lead to this.
Backside

Post by Backside »

So we're giving Godwin the bag for sure now, right?

That's a positive.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Backside wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:44 am So we're giving Godwin the bag for sure now, right?

That's a positive.
God yes! Any thought that Antonio Brown at age 34 would replace him have gone completely to hell thankfully.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't think anyone is really "lying" lying. I think they are telling their truths of how they saw the events. Again, AB always expects a coaching staff and FO to screw him over. BA expected AB to quit or diva out. Both saw what they were expecting to see and are convinced it's "the truth" as they saw it.

If anything the intentional "lying" happens after the fact when both parties are in full spin mode.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Talking out of both sides of his mount. He posted a photo of him as Kevin McAlister from Home Alone with TB and BA as the Wet Bandits "bad guys" on the movie poster
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:46 am I don't think anyone is really "lying" lying. I think they are telling their truths of how they saw the events. Again, AB always expects a coaching staff and FO to screw him over. BA expected AB to quit or diva out. Both saw what they were expecting to see and are convinced it's "the truth" as they saw it.

If anything the intentional "lying" happens after the fact when both parties are in full spin mode.
This is what I said last night and in this scenario BA/Bucs are the losers because AB is hurt, he likely needed surgery at the end of the season, he absolutely got a shot...and people are spamming Social Media with BA saying he didn't know AB was injured, which is a bit out of context, despite being on the injury report.

I think jumping to AB doctoring the text is just as bad as people jumping to BA wanted him to get hurt (which is also going around).

Again, unless BA gets in trouble or we lose a draft pick... I don't think Brady will let this distract us (will be a talking point if we don't win it all, but not realistically a factor).

I don't really care and it's entertaining to a degree.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Someone with knowledge on this, how can the Bucs list AB on the injury report as "not injury related" when it is in fact injury related, no matter the circumstances?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

AB's screen shot of the message with him and Guerrero makes AB look even worse, especially with his history of not paying. AG basically said he would send money back if AB wanted to stop service.

Backside

Post by Backside »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:57 am AB's screen shot of the message with him and Guerrero makes AB look even worse, especially with his history of not paying. AG basically said he would send money back if AB wanted to stop service.

I keep thinking I must be missing something with this one. Like, it's a perfectly fine communication? For this to be the moment he turns on even Brady, is so weird. Does he think this is wildly damning to Guerrero or something?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:57 am AB's screen shot of the message with him and Guerrero makes AB look even worse, especially with his history of not paying. AG basically said he would send money back if AB wanted to stop service.

I don't understand the relevance of him bringing Guerrero into this. These texts are from Christmas eve and don't have anything to do with the Bucs.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

AB is still crazy even if a portion of his story is true. AB is always crazy.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »