Baker Mayfield: PAID

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
acmillis

Re: Baker Mayfield Contract

Post by acmillis »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:40 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:31 pm

That would’ve been done before the 2022 draft, not after his 3rd season.
I meant pick a QB and trade him during the draft. I think it would be best to see if Washington and NE would be willing to pay to move up to #1 and I am sure someone will be stupid enough to, and then pick Marvin Harrison Jr. Would immediately make Fields better and they would get extra draft picks. If they want to use 9 as a back up plan, they can afford to do that. They can even use the new draft capital at 9 for that QB. I personally wouldn't pass on MHJ if I was still on the fence about my QB and not completely out
That would completely crush any trade value CHI would receive in return for Fields.
As of today, the GM is saying, "we might keep him." While almost nobody believes the CHI GM, at least there is doubt, so that any interested team would meet the CHi trade demands for Fields.
If CHI drafts a QB and then tries to trade Fields, any team would be hella dumb to offer anything more than peanuts at that point.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:09 am
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:04 am

I said every rookie in the draft is better than Mayfield if his cost is $30M+. I'm fine with him at $15M ($20M max).
But in reality you know Mayfield isn't going to sign for that.
I definitely think he turns that down, but I don't know that anyone would give him more. He had the best weapons he's ever had and didn't really do anything better than what he's done in the past. If someone wants to give him more, bless them. Have at it. I'd rather give up a 2nd round pick and $30M total for 2 years of Fields than give him Mayfield $60M over than same time frame.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:33 am

I meant pick a QB and trade him during the draft. I think it would be best to see if Washington and NE would be willing to pay to move up to #1 and I am sure someone will be stupid enough to, and then pick Marvin Harrison Jr. Would immediately make Fields better and they would get extra draft picks. If they want to use 9 as a back up plan, they can afford to do that. They can even use the new draft capital at 9 for that QB. I personally wouldn't pass on MHJ if I was still on the fence about my QB and not completely out
That would completely crush any trade value CHI would receive in return for Fields.
As of today, the GM is saying, "we might keep him." While almost nobody believes the CHI GM, at least there is doubt, so that any interested team would meet the CHi trade demands for Fields.
If CHI drafts a QB and then tries to trade Fields, any team would be hella dumb to offer anything more than peanuts at that point.
He'll definitely be traded prior to the draft.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

It only takes 1. I think @Grahamburn could be right in that Atlanta could be interested in Fields. If the Bears take a QB at #1 and Atlanta has, say 3 guys on their list and all 3 are gone at #8 (which isn't unreasonable), why not part with a 2nd rounder for Fields? At #8, Atlanta could get a quality player and then address the QB position by trading away pick #43 for Fields? You have 2 years to find out if you have a franchise QB. They actually have weapons over there with Robinson, London, and Pitts, unlike in Chicago.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:35 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:09 am

But in reality you know Mayfield isn't going to sign for that.
I definitely think he turns that down, but I don't know that anyone would give him more. He had the best weapons he's ever had and didn't really do anything better than what he's done in the past. If someone wants to give him more, bless them. Have at it. I'd rather give up a 2nd round pick and $30M total for 2 years of Fields than give him Mayfield $60M over than same time frame.
Geno got more than that. It would be insulting to Mayfield to even offer it.

I think 3 years, $100M, and $60M guaranteed is a great place to start. If he's looking to get way more than that ($100M guaranteed) as reported you let him look for it. We can agree there. If we really want to sign him though we're not doing it for $15M a year.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:48 am

It only takes 1. I think @Grahamburn could be right in that Atlanta could be interested in Fields. If the Bears take a QB at #1 and Atlanta has, say 3 guys on their list and all 3 are gone at #8 (which isn't unreasonable), why not part with a 2nd rounder for Fields? At #8, Atlanta could get a quality player and then address the QB position by trading away pick #43 for Fields? You have 2 years to find out if you have a franchise QB. They actually have weapons over there with Robinson, London, and Pitts, unlike in Chicago.
I think Robinson is the most dynamic back on either of those teams, but Khalil Herbert is no slouch. CHI has the better WR and TE weapon by far.

You're telling me you'd rather have London over DJ Moore? No way.
You'd rather have Pitts over Cole Kmet? Heck no!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Correct. #8 is too early for the second tier QBs and the big 3 aren't likely getting there. You can get Fields for your 2nd rounder. He's surrounded with weapons and then another one or a linemen at #8 to help him even more. Maybe you get your franchise QB? They'd have 2 years to find out.

However, I think that decision is made well before the draft.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:52 am
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:35 am

I think 3 years, $100M, and $60M guaranteed is a great place to start. If he's looking to get way more than that ($100M guaranteed) as reported you let him look for it. We can agree there. If we really want to sign him though we're not doing it for $15M a year.
So because Seattle was stupid, so should we be? Look, that may happen, I'm not denying that... I'm just saying that it's a mistake because Mayfield isn't a franchise QB. I don't care if Mayfield is insulted. He can try and go get his number elsewhere. I actually encourage it, because he won't find it.

Any deal that does not allow us to walk away from him mid-season next year, is a bad one.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:22 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:52 am

So because Seattle was stupid, so should we be? Look, that may happen, I'm not denying that... I'm just saying that it's a mistake because Mayfield isn't a franchise QB. I don't care if Mayfield is insulted. He can try and go get his number elsewhere. I actually encourage it, because he won't find it.

Any deal that does not allow us to walk away from him mid-season next year, is a bad one.
You assess your situation and consider your options. Regardless of whatever hyperbolic comments the Baker haters want to make we simply don't have great options outside of Mayfield. At least if we want to defend our 3-peat divisional crown.

There's also nothing that precludes us from drafting a developmental QB like Joe Milton or Spencer Rattler in the 3rd-4th rounds of the draft either.

You can extend Mayfield in this off-season and still plan for the future. If we can't get over the hump with him or he regresses you can easily move on at that point if a young QB develops. On the other hand, If his play is consistently solid then we can still build around him and you got your franchise QB off the scrap heap for nothing but cap space.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:33 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:22 pm

You assess your situation and consider your options. Regardless of whatever hyperbolic comments the Baker haters want to make we simply don't have great options outside of Mayfield. At least if we want to defend our 3-peat divisional crown.

There's also nothing that precludes us from drafting a developmental QB like Joe Milton or Spencer Rattler in the 3rd-4th rounds of the draft either.

You can extend Mayfield in this off-season and still plan for the future. If we can't get over the hump with him or he regresses you can easily move on at that point if a young QB develops. On the other hand, If his play is consistently solid then we can still build around him and you got your franchise QB off the scrap heap for nothing but cap space.
That's the thing with folks like me (Baker non-believers). You're (Baker believer) saying "Baker is a great option." Those of us that don't want him do not think he is a great option, hence us not wanting to either; 1. sign him for any amount whatsoever, or 2. give him guaranteed $ beyond 2024.
I love how you say, "you can easily move on from Baker if a young QB develops..." not if you guarantee him $100M+, you can't.
Let's look at some of the more recent QBs to get paid when there was not a concensus:
1. Daniel Jones - Do you think NYG is happy to have to have him on the roster for 2024?
2. Geno Smith - Do you think SEA/fans are thinking, "he's our franchise QB."
3. Derek Carr - NO happy to be stuck with him?

These days, the most successful QBs are guys who come in and almost immediately find success with the team that drafted them, not the guys on their fourth team in 16 days or whatever the real number is.
I do not like the fact that Baker lovers ignore the first five years of his career and chalk it up to, "but look at the franchise's he's played on" as if he had no hand in the failure.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:43 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:33 pm

That's the thing with folks like me (Baker non-believers). You're (Baker believer) saying "Baker is a great option." Those of us that don't want him do not think he is a great option, hence us not wanting to either; 1. sign him for any amount whatsoever, or 2. give him guaranteed $ beyond 2024.
I love how you say, "you can easily move on from Baker if a young QB develops..." not if you guarantee him $100M+, you can't.
Let's look at some of the more recent QBs to get paid when there was not a concensus:
1. Daniel Jones - Do you think NYG is happy to have to have him on the roster for 2024?
2. Geno Smith - Do you think SEA/fans are thinking, "he's our franchise QB."
3. Derek Carr - NO happy to be stuck with him?

These days, the most successful QBs are guys who come in and almost immediately find success with the team that drafted them, not the guys on their fourth team in 16 days or whatever the real number is.
I do not like the fact that Baker lovers ignore the first five years of his career and chalk it up to, "but look at the franchise's he's played on" as if he had no hand in the failure.
I wouldn't guarantee him $100M. I'd go to $60M. I think I'm on record with that. That's two years. If they add a QB in this draft by the time those two years are up that rookie is ready to play if Baker has regressed back to Cleveland Baker or the every other year Baker that you're worried about.

The fact that an organization like Cleveland gave up on him is not an indictment in my mind. They gave a serial sexual assault artist $250M guaranteed and they also mortgaged their future for the privilege.

If anything it makes it easier to chalk that entire situation up with Baker to "that franchise is a shit show" after seeing how he performed in his first season here. If he's that player we get a steal. And, what if he gets better? He was improving over the last half of the season.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I honestly believe that Russell Wilson will be heading to Atlanta.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:54 am

Correct. #8 is too early for the second tier QBs and the big 3 aren't likely getting there. You can get Fields for your 2nd rounder. He's surrounded with weapons and then another one or a linemen at #8 to help him even more. Maybe you get your franchise QB? They'd have 2 years to find out.

The reason that I don't think it's pre-draft, is because not everyone's "big 3", are the same. If there's a pre-draft trade, it's to move up the draft, not to trade for a player. What do you think the owner is going to say if the GM talks about Penix for 2 months like he's the next Tom Brady, then signs a QB for $30M... then on draft day, boom, there's Penix on the board when you pick?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

acmillis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:53 am

I think Robinson is the most dynamic back on either of those teams, but Khalil Herbert is no slouch. CHI has the better WR and TE weapon by far.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you. I'd give up Moore in a heartbeat for London and wouldn't bat an eye. Kmet is a perfectly acceptable TE, but I think he's exactly what he is... acceptable. I think Pitts has a ceiling substantially higher. I don't follow Atlanta much, but even with a dog like Ryan, Pitts had a 1k yard season. Kmet will NEVER sniff that kind of production.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Phantom wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:47 pm I honestly believe that Russell Wilson will be heading to Atlanta.
I can definitely see that.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:55 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:54 am

The reason that I don't think it's pre-draft, is because not everyone's "big 3", are the same. If there's a pre-draft trade, it's to move up the draft, not to trade for a player. What do you think the owner is going to say if the GM talks about Penix for 2 months like he's the next Tom Brady, then signs a QB for $30M... then on draft day, boom, there's Penix on the board when you pick?
Because when teams construct their rosters they want to know who their QB is going to be. These trades universally happen pre-draft. If anyone is willing to trade a second round pick for Fields it's to be their starter. They want to know that going into the draft.
Backside

Post by Backside »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:58 pm I'd give up Moore in a heartbeat for London and wouldn't bat an eye.
Uhhhh, what exactly is your reasoning for this?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:58 pm
acmillis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:53 am

Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you. I'd give up Moore in a heartbeat for London and wouldn't bat an eye. Kmet is a perfectly acceptable TE, but I think he's exactly what he is... acceptable. I think Pitts has a ceiling substantially higher. I don't follow Atlanta much, but even with a dog like Ryan, Pitts had a 1k yard season. Kmet will NEVER sniff that kind of production.
You're living in the past, my friend.

TE A:
2022: 10 Games, 28 catches, 356 yards, 2 TD
2023 17 Games, 53 catches, 667 yards, 3 TD

TE B:
2022: 17 games, 50 catches, 544 yards, 7 TD
2023: 17 games, 73 catches, 719 yards, 6 TD

You want TE A....that's crazy talk.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:17 pm
All i could 100% make out was, "get some pieces back" other than that, if you can decipher any of what Baker said, you should work for the FBI, CIA, whatever.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:17 pm
Makes sense. He was choosing the OC after all lol.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

He’s playing it close to the chest, but it feels like a formality.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Hot Mic Caught Baker Mayfield Telling Steve Young His Plans for NFL Free Agency

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/07/baker ... AnMXFz6kro
I said what I said

CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Backside wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:49 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:58 pm I'd give up Moore in a heartbeat for London and wouldn't bat an eye.
Moore is an excellent receiver, but London has elite upside. I think his floor is Moore's ceiling.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

acmillis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:18 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:58 pm

TE A:

TE B:

TE A had Marcus Mariotta & Desmond Ridder (guys who will never be a starter in the NFL again), and TE B had a QB who got MVP votes.

Hmmmm......
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

That would be nice. If we resign Baker, I have a hard time imagining us getting LVD, Evans and Winfield back though.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:53 am
acmillis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:18 pm

TE A:

TE B:

TE A had Marcus Mariotta & Desmond Ridder (guys who will never be a starter in the NFL again), and TE B had a QB who got MVP votes.

Hmmmm......
Claiming that Fields is the reason Kmet was good is the reachiest of all reaches, dear lord. Fields is widely regarded as the worst passer in the league.
There's decades of history showing that if you're a good weapon, it doesn't matter who is throwing you the ball. Look at Mike Evans' career.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:48 am
CannonFire wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:53 am

Hmmmm......
Claiming that Fields is the reason Kmet was good is the reachiest of all reaches, dear lord. Fields is widely regarded as the worst passer in the league.
There's decades of history showing that if you're a good weapon, it doesn't matter who is throwing you the ball. Look at Mike Evans' career.
I didn't make the claim that Kmet was good because of Fields. I'm saying that when you play with a QB who isn't garbage on wheels (like Ridder & Mariota), your numbers will suffer. Winston wasn't a good QB, but to say he was a bad passer, would be incorrect. Neither Ridder or Mariota could get anyone the ball with consistency. With an "adequate" passer like Matt Ryan, Pitts had a 1k yard season... to pretend that didn't happen is quite disingenuous.

I think Kmet is a solid TE who can get open a catch passes. I think Fields is a talented QB who's running ability opens up more opportunities for players who are good, to maximize their strengths. Ridder and Mariota are straight trash. If we had Pitts last year instead of Otton, he'd have had 1k yards.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Terry Tate wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:55 am That would be nice. If we resign Baker, I have a hard time imagining us getting LVD, Evans and Winfield back though.
I agree, which is why I'm fine with letting Mayfield test the market.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:24 am
Terry Tate wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:55 am That would be nice. If we resign Baker, I have a hard time imagining us getting LVD, Evans and Winfield back though.
I agree, which is why I'm fine with letting Mayfield test the market.

Test the stability of the new branch he'd be standing on? With us he has the biggest bestest branch out there.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake

Post by Snake »

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/03 ... g-session/
Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield were the only quarterbacks who topped 60 MPH on the radar gun during the NFL Scouting Combine.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Winston has a big arm. Why don't we bring him back? If I recall, players liked him as well.
Backside

Post by Backside »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:49 am
Backside wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:49 pm

Moore is an excellent receiver, but London has elite upside. I think his floor is Moore's ceiling.
How does that work? That would imply Moore could never have a better season than London. Which has not been the case.