Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

Phantom

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by Phantom »

Double post
Last edited by Phantom on Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Wonder if the Glazers got a taste of good QB and told Licht they aren’t doing the sucky QB thing if he can help it.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I wonder how pissed off Carolina fans are
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I wonder how many Buc fans think we are one of ESPN's favorites - or any of them really
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:04 am
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:02 am I think the Bucs are making a very big mistake by not going with Trask in 2022. The only FA's are guys like Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Winston, Mariotta, Flacco, and Trubisky. I'll gladly take Trask's potential over theirs. Giving up a lot of picks, plus big cap money to guys like Watson, Wilson, or Rodgers will only weaken the team elsewhere. We don't have to rebuild, but we have to upgrade. We have a lot of FA's and Licht's going to have to be creative and/or really good in the draft. Using a lot of draft picks to bring in guys like Rodgers, Wilson, and Watson and increasing the cap hit, doesn't leave much room for filling holes from our free agents.

Play the year out with Trask and see how it goes. Use this years' picks to improve the team and use the cap savings (by not paying big QB money), on bringing some FA's back and in. Next year, Rodgers, Cousins, & Carr could all be free agents. I'd rather spend money or draft capital... but not both, on a QB. If Trask is the guy, great, continue to build around him. If he's not, we'll probably have a good draft pick to possibly replace him in the draft or a FA might be available.
If you roll Trask you can still bring in one of those guys you listed to compete with him. Trask/Dalton probably only gets us 6 or 7 wins though.

I think it’s a great time to buy low on Wilson.
I agree that bringing in one of them to compete with Trask could be a good thing and a likely outcome of either guy is the same. With that being the case, I'd rather just roll with Trask and bring back Gabbert for $2M. Why spend $7 to $10M on one of the other guys?

I'm not so sure I agree with you on Wilson. Pending on when the trade would happen, he could be a $24M cap hit. Yeah, I know that's cheap in the grand scheme of things, that's all of our cap space. I think we're better off with using $20M on retaining some guys with a little massaging of the numbers and running with Trask and Gabbert, then we would be with $24M Wilson ($29M next year), and a ton of massaging of numbers, less picks, and FA retention.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:08 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:04 am

If you roll Trask you can still bring in one of those guys you listed to compete with him. Trask/Dalton probably only gets us 6 or 7 wins though.

I think it’s a great time to buy low on Wilson.
I agree that bringing in one of them to compete with Trask could be a good thing and a likely outcome of either guy is the same. With that being the case, I'd rather just roll with Trask and bring back Gabbert for $2M. Why spend $7 to $10M on one of the other guys?

I'm not so sure I agree with you on Wilson. Pending on when the trade would happen, he could be a $24M cap hit. Yeah, I know that's cheap in the grand scheme of things, that's all of our cap space. I think we're better off with using $20M on retaining some guys with a little massaging of the numbers and running with Trask and Gabbert, then we would be with $24M Wilson ($29M next year), and a ton of massaging of numbers, less picks, and FA retention.
As detailed previously, Trask was drafted as a project.

Licht has all but said this and the lack of any type of practice in our offense last season indicates this.

If our coaches don't believe Trask is ready then it's a horrible option, regardless of the saving of picks and cap space. The league is QB driven and our offensive scheme is more QB dependent than maybe any in the NFL. As Snake has pointed out, these elite QBs can be really difficult to find and teams spend multiple first and years trying to find and develop them.

If the coaches don't think he's ready yet, he's not going to make us competitive and it doesn't sound like we think he's ready considering Licht's statement and the rumors.

We are talking about our 4th string QB from last season...handing him the job is unlikely. If we sign a FA, like the lowly ones mentioned, it means that he's likely on the shelf for at least another season...but hopefully with the ability to take reps and maybe take the job at some point. If he takes that job sooner and shows that he's made great strides, that's great.

I'm in the wait and see camp. I don't have full trust in all the decisions our staff makes, but they are more aware of his progress than any of us. I don't think they will or should start him simply because he was a 2nd round pick.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

13F11B wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:33 pm
kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:54 pm

I only said that part because Trask is clearly at the top of your list, it obviously isn't close to the top of their list.
Can you explain your reasoning for saying Trask is at the top of my list?
Because, at the beginning of this post, you were pasting multiple positive only quotes about Trask. From other posts I have also seen you mulling that we won't be Super Bowl caliber next year due to free agent losses. Then you posted this:
13F11B wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:17 pm
Carr would be an excellent fit for an Arians offense. For me this all comes down to can they keep enough of this team together for one more shot. If we can, then try to get a QB. If not, then do not mortgage the future in some delusional attempt at a Super Bowl run that only gimps the team for the next four to five years.
Which indicated to me that unless some miracle happened in free agency, that we should start Trask. I also know that you want us to re-sign Godwin. This post suggests you want us to start Trask so we can retain Godwin.
13F11B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:24 am
I think if the Buccaneers stick with Trask they will have the money to sign Godwin.
You may have left the door open for Trask, but it felt like you were trying to convince maybe yourself that he was a good draft pick in the beginning. You clearly seem to have Trask above most situations. You say I am wrong, okay. But on the list of possibilities, how many would you pick if say we have to let Godwin and Davis go?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

PetePierson wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:59 pm Also love the Homers clamoring for a dude who didn't play a down for a year, collected $11 MM, got two coaches fired and can't control himself as 20 plus women are accusing him of forcing rub & tugs.

You fucking moron.... you have more than enough money to get a pro. X2 you fucking moron for using your own insta-snap-a-gram-o-twitter-box-chat.

Oh, and we have no clue what the NFL is going to do....

Trade everything for QB Happy Ending.

Fucking Morons
But QB happy ending has a home here. Rapey McCrablegs paved the way.
Nano

Post by Nano »

I just don't want to go back to the Fro'Man/Glennon days where our offense averaged like 17 PPG and we got excited when our QB threw for 300 yards.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

The thing is that everyone here thought before 2019, that Arians would be here two years and retire. He came here because we had a 5th year starter. He stayed because of Tom Brady. Ever year we have been speculating if he was going to retire. These are truths. Yet he says he is not retiring this year, and you think he is rolling with Trask? Either Trask is already showing elite talent, or they are 100% looking for a top 15 QB.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:21 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:08 pm

Licht has all but said this and the lack of any type of practice in our offense last season indicates this.

If our coaches don't believe Trask is ready then it's a horrible option, regardless of the saving of picks and cap space. The league is QB driven and our offensive scheme is more QB dependent than maybe any in the NFL. As Snake has pointed out, these elite QBs can be really difficult to find and teams spend multiple first and years trying to find and develop them.

If the coaches don't think he's ready yet, he's not going to make us competitive and it doesn't sound like we think he's ready considering Licht's statement and the rumors.

We are talking about our 4th string QB from last season...handing him the job is unlikely. If we sign a FA, like the lowly ones mentioned, it means that he's likely on the shelf for at least another season...but hopefully with the ability to take reps and maybe take the job at some point. If he takes that job sooner and shows that he's made great strides, that's great.

I'm in the wait and see camp. I don't have full trust in all the decisions our staff makes, but they are more aware of his progress than any of us. I don't think they will or should start him simply because he was a 2nd round pick.
If that's the case, then they did a massive disservice by taking him in the 2nd round.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:04 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:21 pm

If that's the case, then they did a massive disservice by taking him in the 2nd round.
As people said last year, we had the Goat for at least 2 more years. Some thought many more....but... surprise.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I wouldn't knock Trask for not getting practice reps last year.

If you are reworking your throwing mechanics, the fastest way to revert to bad habits is being put in a game or practice situation too quickly. That's a big reason why no matter how much Tim Tebow worked at fixing it, he still threw the ball like some weird toddler as soon as he hit the field.

The same thing holds true for undoing any type of deficit in muscle memory, really. If you return to the activity too quickly, you'll revert to your bad habits just as fast.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Cheb wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:23 pm I wouldn't knock Trask for not getting practice reps last year.

If you are reworking your throwing mechanics, the fastest way to revert to bad habits is being put in a game or practice situation too quickly. That's a big reason why no matter how much Tim Tebow worked at fixing it, he still threw the ball like some weird toddler as soon as he hit the field.

The same thing holds true for undoing any type of deficit in muscle memory, really. If you return to the activity too quickly, you'll revert to your bad habits just as fast.
It means he was a project and it would be understandable if he wasn't ready, yet.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:29 pm
Cheb wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:23 pm I wouldn't knock Trask for not getting practice reps last year.

It means he was a project and it would be understandable if he wasn't ready, yet.
It would put him and the team in a very unlikely situation of success for him. Year 2, your 24 year old 2nd round pick QB isn't ready. Year 3, he better be a star so he can prove it again in Year 4 and then can get an extension. If he's not, then Year 4 becomes a lose/lose. If he still sucks, your project was a failure. If he plays well, it's likely the franchise tag, which for QBs is obviously expensive. But you're basically rewarding 1 good season in 4. That's bad economics.

This is part of the reason though 99% of teams don't draft "projects" in the 2nd round. This strategy might have worked before 2010 when the old CBA allowed for 5-6 year rookie deals. Not now with 4 year deals. The clock is ticking. 2 years is half his contract.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Son, you are not getting any practice reps. But hey we are going to let you play in some preseason games.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Oh no, we may have to face the choice of using the franchise tag on him! Oh the humanity!

As for Watson, his on field talent is the best option of the bunch.
His off-field is absolutely disgusting and I think he's a predator and creep. With that said it's the NFL. They don't care. He's going to play, someone is going to employ him. Even if we go with "it may as well be us", I have to imagine the FO has done a ridiculous amount of homework. Even then I can't imagine what possible conclusion they can land on that isn't him settling the case, paying up, and publicly apologizing. Just kidding, it's the NFL, they'll never allow a public apology. At most we'll get about something about growth and learning.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:21 pm Oh no, we may have to face the choice of using the franchise tag on him! Oh the humanity!

As for Watson, his on field talent is the best option of the bunch.
His off-field is absolutely disgusting and I think he's a predator and creep. With that said it's the NFL. They don't care. He's going to play, someone is going to employ him. Even if we go with "it may as well be us", I have to imagine the FO has done a ridiculous amount of homework. Even then I can't imagine what possible conclusion they can land on that isn't him settling the case, paying up, and publicly apologizing. Just kidding, it's the NFL, they'll never allow a public apology. At most we'll get about something about growth and learning.
It is what it is. If he comes here, 99% of us will make peace with it enough to cheer for him on Sunday. There'll be like one guy who pretends this is unacceptable, like we haven't cheered for scumbags before now. Is Watson on another level? It kinda depends on what you think about what he did. I think some of the things Sapp did were worse, but that's JMHO. My kid has a #99 hanging in his closet.

When people get upset about openly awful people, they're usually less upset with the acts themselves they are the inability to indulge in comfortable illusions about the people they cheer for. But that's bordering on OT in TD, and some posters here would need a fainting couch if we did that.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

PetePierson wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:14 pm The Wilson slurping makes Pedro chortle as well.

Sure, his wife is another Dime Piece like Brady and even Garcia but not sure that stat helps the Yucks on the field.

Dude made one of, if not the worst decisions in Super Bowl history and has the same amount of rings as my boy Trent and Brad Johnson....

Imbeciles.
Wilson is a top QB with a healthy hand and should have plenty of good years left. Who’s a better option than Wilson? Rodgers, sure, but there’s no way the Pack trade him to us.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:54 pm You may have left the door open for Trask, but it felt like you were trying to convince maybe yourself that he was a good draft pick in the beginning. You clearly seem to have Trask above most situations. You say I am wrong, okay. But on the list of possibilities, how many would you pick if say we have to let Godwin and Davis go?
I can see why you headed in the direction that I thought Trask was the best choice. However, I understand that I do not know what the Buccaneers have in mind. I also understand that I have no clue how prepared Trask is or is not for the upcoming season. The surface stuff fans see certainly makes it seem like he is not but the coaching staff knows better. For me there are two scenarios:

1) They feel they can do what must be done to keep a Super Bowl caliber team together and just need to add a Super Bowl caliber QB.

2) They end up not being able to keep Super Bowl talent together and getting a Super Bowl caliber QB would be wasted.

In reality, there is likely some gray area between the two. In scenario one, I would strongly support spending draft capital on getting the QB. In scenario two, starting Trask is likely the best option regardless of his ability to start.

As fans, we should likely wait until the first week of March before giving any credible thought to the rumors that are dropping. This period of time is when the sports media makes crap up at an alarming pace to fill the void of having no actual football to talk about. I find the period of time between the championship games and the start of free agency to be filled with so much crap being thrown against the walls I just don't bother listening to it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

PetePierson wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:19 am I don't want a QB that made the worst decision in Super Bowl history.
Well this is just ridiculous. Even by Pete standards.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:00 am
PetePierson wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:19 am I don't want a QB that made the worst decision in Super Bowl history.
He's never liked Russell Wilson.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

PetePierson wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:19 am
real bucs fan wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:18 am
Wilson is a top QB with a healthy hand and should have plenty of good years left. Who’s a better option than Wilson? Rodgers, sure, but there’s no way the Pack trade him to us.
I don't want a QB that made the worst decision in Super Bowl history. Not to mention giving up the few assets the Yucks have and continue to be in cap purgatory.

You fucking Homers need to wise up. The Yucks went all in on the GOAT and worked out pretty damn well. I've been following this team since 1984. No one can argue that this was the most amazing 2-year run in franchise history... regardless of how low of a bar it is.

I truly believed Brady would be back for at least one more season. He decided otherwise and that legit saddened me. But can't be mad. Thank the Man and prepare for our usual NFL irrelevance.

Pretty simple calculus to this fat Ole man.Man.

Aside from that; Rodgers / Wilson are pretty smart dudes. No way they potentially sully their career / narrative by following Brady. You never want to be the Guy following THE Guy (regardless of industry...how did it work out for Twister Sister dude replacing Stern)?

It's a no-win situation. Even if by some miracle they lead the Yucks to another Lombardi. They didn't do it during the Kung Flu Regime with anywhere close to the restrictions. Nor pressure to be first team to win it all in home stadium.
I get it. We’re all super bummed about Brady. These last two years were a dream ride I’ll never forget. And for it to end now seems unfair. I’ll forever wonder if Succup made that field goal… if the ref never called that taunting penalty… if AB never melted down… if Bowles never called that blitz… it’s a lot to roll around in ones brain. When the word came out Brady was retiring I was legit depressed for like a week lol. I even am holding out hope he changes his mind lol.

But I do think Wilson would keep us relevant and in contention. Guy is a great QB despite the one pass you hold against him lol
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:54 am
PetePierson wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:19 am

I don't want a QB that made the worst decision in Super Bowl history. Not to mention giving up the few assets the Yucks have and continue to be in cap purgatory.

You fucking Homers need to wise up. The Yucks went all in on the GOAT and worked out pretty damn well. I've been following this team since 1984. No one can argue that this was the most amazing 2-year run in franchise history... regardless of how low of a bar it is.

I truly believed Brady would be back for at least one more season. He decided otherwise and that legit saddened me. But can't be mad. Thank the Man and prepare for our usual NFL irrelevance.

Pretty simple calculus to this fat Ole man.Man.

Aside from that; Rodgers / Wilson are pretty smart dudes. No way they potentially sully their career / narrative by following Brady. You never want to be the Guy following THE Guy (regardless of industry...how did it work out for Twister Sister dude replacing Stern)?

It's a no-win situation. Even if by some miracle they lead the Yucks to another Lombardi. They didn't do it during the Kung Flu Regime with anywhere close to the restrictions. Nor pressure to be first team to win it all in home stadium.
I get it. We’re all super bummed about Brady. These last two years were a dream ride I’ll never forget. And for it to end now seems unfair. I’ll forever wonder if Succup made that field goal… if the ref never called that taunting penalty… if AB never melted down… if Bowles never called that blitz… it’s a lot to roll around in ones brain. When the word came out Brady was retiring I was legit depressed for like a week lol. I even am holding out hope he changes his mind lol.

But I do think Wilson would keep us relevant and in contention. Guy is a great QB despite the one pass you hold against him lol
A week?

It’s lingering in the back of my mind every time I think about the Bucs, and that’s more often than I would like to admit.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:10 am
Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:00 am

or pretty much anyone else for that matter.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

BJJ34 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:46 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:54 am

A week?

It’s lingering in the back of my mind every time I think about the Bucs, and that’s more often than I would like to admit.
If I’m being real, I’m still not over it. I’m like 2 beers away from Facebook stalking him lol
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Four Verticals wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:52 pm

Exactly. Which is why you can't take any evaluation he presents as anything more than troll like cynicism.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

That was easier than I thought.

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Four Verticals wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:52 pm

I thought Pete's comment was about Kyler Murray, not Wilson. Maybe I was wrong though.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

It ain't a burn when it's proven true
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:38 pm That was easier than I thought.

Not that Pete needs or wants my help, but that was a stupid reply. The fact is, you brought him up first when you said he never liked Wilson. So who's living rent free here? Looks to me like Pete is.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

What's wild is that if you take away Brady and these last two years, this board would be tripping themselves over how this roster is the best we've had and how close we could be to making a good playoff run.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:15 pm What's wild is that if you take away Brady and these last two years, this board would be tripping themselves over how this roster is the best we've had and how close we could be to making a good playoff run.
While one could argue that it's because of Brady that our roster has performed well, I'd agree.

We have a borderline HoF talent receiver, some great individual offensive linemen, a stud DT, a talented edge and his young protege, two good middle backers, and plenty of talent in the secondary. If we bring back Godwin, CD3, or Jensen, that list of Pro Bowl level talents only grows longer.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Cheb wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:45 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:15 pm What's wild is that if you take away Brady and these last two years, this board would be tripping themselves over how this roster is the best we've had and how close we could be to making a good playoff run.
While one could argue that it's because of Brady that our roster has performed well, I'd agree.

We have a borderline HoF talent receiver, some great individual offensive linemen, a stud DT, a talented edge and his young protege, two good middle backers, and plenty of talent in the secondary. If we bring back Godwin, CD3, or Jensen, that list of Pro Bowl level talents only grows longer.
If you asked this board two years ago if they had a choice between Brady and Wilson, I’m sure the majority would have taken Wilson. Now obviously this fanbase fell in love with Brady and he delivered us the two best years any one of us can remember, but Wilson is hardly chopped liver here.
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

Just read an article stating gabbert it s going to get his shot. Not a bad idea with trask in the wings as a just in case I guess. Not sure how I feel about gabbert though, but that could at least give trask more time to develop. Then if neither works out you can find another veteran I suppose.