Welcome Rachaad White!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: Welcome Rachaad White!

Post by MJW »

I don't love the pick in terms of value TBH. I think there are similar prospects who would have been available with our late 4th. I think we're going to live to regret not taking Jeremy Ruckert there.

But that's not a knock on the player. His running style honestly reminds me a lot of Rojo, and I mean that as a compliment. More importantly, a couple of quotes stand out from his profile:

Passing Down Skills: White’s A-trait or trump card is his ability as a pass-catcher. He is a threat out of the backfield and in the slot. He has more than 400 yards receiving and is averaging 10.6 YPC. He presents a mismatch for linebackers and some safeties.

Ball Security: White does a good job protecting the football. He has not fumbled this season. He covers and protects the ball when multiple defenders are present. He keeps the ball tight into his arm and the nose firmly in his palm.

It sounds to me like he's a three down back, capable of backing up Fournette AND taking over 3rd down duties at some point.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake

Post by Snake »

The 40 time and vertical seem standard by NFL RB standards. But then again I didn’t compile 1600 data points so what do I know.

It’s definitely helpful to have those attributes.

Edit: The vertical seems to be the big one. Ezekiel Elliott jumped 32.5 (at 225#). Kenneth Walker III jumped 34 (at 211). Adrian Peterson jumped 38.5 (at 217). RoJo 36.5 at 205.
Last edited by Snake on Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:27 am
IchabodCrane84 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:05 am

Martin? He didn't get caught from behind.
Dougie didn't get caught from behind at Boise State either.

It's more of a reaction to his running stride. I'll back off of this if I see something different. It's just one play.
Tbh I hate his stride. Backs like him always look like they’re pressing to run fast. I just don’t like it at all.
Backside

Post by Backside »

We already did the Sims and Vaughn experience. Third times the charm, time for our Kamara.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I mean if y'all saying he's on brand... Sims, McNichols, Rojo, Vaughn.... you're not wrong.

But this is what you "never draft a RB early, you can always find one late" people want right? Well here we go again. Maybe this one works.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:03 pm I mean if y'all saying he's on brand... Sims, McNichols, Rojo, Vaughn.... you're not wrong.

But this is what you "never draft a RB early, you can always find one late" people want right? Well here we go again. Maybe this one works.
Yeah, the trick is finding one who is actually good. Maybe White is. But Licht's track record isn't so good, as you've demonstrated.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:03 pm I mean if y'all saying he's on brand... Sims, McNichols, Rojo, Vaughn.... you're not wrong.

It's a lie people have convinced themselves of. Look at the top 5 rushers this season. All 1st or 2nd round picks.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

RB is Licht’s weakest scouted position. We found our starting RB in a former first round draft pick.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Highlight reel. Trigger warning for people who are rapper phobic.

So, yeah. We don't have Alvin Kamara speed here. I'd venture to say that Vaughn or even Rojo might even be faster so all these sweeps he ran in college ain't going to happen very often at the NFL level. His yards are going to be tough yards against good defenses.

He's really shifty though. He can change speed and direction that can make people miss in traffic and in the open field. He's also got ups and has a bunch of hurtles on tape which is always a crowd pleaser.

Hits the hole quick and shows some vision and doesn't hesitate. That's my number one knock on young RBs in the league, but he appears to check that box and probably the top attribute that got him drafted. He also can catch which is another big plus. Blocking? Don't know yet.

He's a big boy too at 6'2 215lbs. Kind of a James Conner build. You really don't get to see much power running in this reel because nobody seems to be able to hit him clean. He's big enough for bad tackles to bounce off, but I don't see him trucking people which for me is where the real money gets made at the position. Look what happened when Derrick Henry figured out he was strong enough to run through people. So I want to see some power running from him.

I'm of the opinion that the maturation process is a lot longer for RBs than it used to be. I blame doing away with the Oklahoma drill. Give him some second half reps to build his confidence this year and see what he can do. Get him in the open field and let him blast some DBs and see if he can run through a clean hit.

I'd put him behind Lenny and let Vaughn go behind Gio in terms of package and play calling.

I don't see a world beater yet but again, RBs need to develop.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:16 pm

It's a lie people have convinced themselves of. Look at the top 5 rushers this season. All 1st or 2nd round picks.
That's really interesting if you're building a fantasy football team.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:31 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:16 pm

That really deflects from the argument that "you can find great RBs late". You're actually posing it as a statement with no meat on it.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

He's not going to get any faster so let's put some more muscle on that frame. Get him to 220-225 so he sees some big eyeballs when he's running at people.
Snake

Post by Snake »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:37 pm He's not going to get any faster so let's put some more muscle on that frame. Get him to 220-225 so he sees some big eyeballs when he's running at people.
RoJo is a good point of reference.

RoJo was 205 at the NFL combine. A quote from 2020:

"He's now tipping the scales at 225 pounds -- up from 218 last year and 206 when he entered the league as a rookie."
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:33 pm
MJW wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:31 pm

That really deflects from the argument that "you can find great RBs late". You're actually posing it as a statement with no meat on it.
I'll be happy to destroy this same old argument on a day with a little less going on.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:40 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:33 pm

I'll be happy to destroy this same old argument on a day with a little less going on.
:roll: Uh huh
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He's definitely in the same mold as RBs we've taken shots on in this past. Here's what I got off a highlight reel. He's "college fast". At the same time he does seem to be "fast enough", he's very shifty in short space. Even though he's big I never see him really trucking people, that's not his style. He has an almost backyard playground-style to him. Like he's playing tag and constantly saying "that didn't touch me". It serves him well as it forces defenders into odd tackling angles at times. Though pros will be far better. Runs fearlessly, like a kid who knows he's just playing a game.

Talent wise I don't see him much better than anything we've brought in but I like the cut of his jib. He has a pluckiness to him.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

I would love to ask Jason Licht to name his ideal NFL running back. I want to know who his prototype is because he drafts such similar runners & I can’t identify his ultimate goal. This is the exact opposite of OL where we can look at a small school guard with character, a mean streak or violent hands and know Licht loves him.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:28 pm

So, yeah. We don't have Alvin Kamara speed here. I'd venture to say that Vaughn or even Rojo might even be faster so all these sweeps he ran in college ain't going to happen very often at the NFL level. His yards are going to be tough yards against good defenses.

He's really shifty though. He can change speed and direction that can make people miss in traffic and in the open field. He's also got ups and has a bunch of hurtles on tape which is always a crowd pleaser.

Hits the hole quick and shows some vision and doesn't hesitate. That's my number one knock on young RBs in the league, but he appears to check that box and probably the top attribute that got him drafted. He also can catch which is another big plus. Blocking? Don't know yet.

He's a big boy too at 6'2 215lbs. Kind of a James Conner build. You really don't get to see much power running in this reel because nobody seems to be able to hit him clean. He's big enough for bad tackles to bounce off, but I don't see him trucking people which for me is where the real money gets made at the position. Look what happened when Derrick Henry figured out he was strong enough to run through people. So I want to see some power running from him.

I'm of the opinion that the maturation process is a lot longer for RBs than it used to be. I blame doing away with the Oklahoma drill. Give him some second half reps to build his confidence this year and see what he can do. Get him in the open field and let him blast some DBs and see if he can run through a clean hit.

Your belief that running backs need maturation at the NFL level is an interesting one considering the prevailing belief that it’s the easiest position to learn. If it’s true what would be the cause of this relatively new phenomenon? The increased importance of pass blocking & receiving ability in a passing league?

I'd put him behind Lenny and let Vaughn go behind Gio in terms of package and play calling.

Thanks bro. This was a good write up. I still don’t like his stride, but that highlight reel was encouraging. He makes guys miss with very subtle movement & I thought he used his size well to break a few tackles.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Primeminister wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:59 pm

Your belief that running backs need maturation at the NFL level is an interesting one considering the prevailing belief that it’s the easiest position to learn. If it’s true what would be the cause of this relatively new phenomenon? The increased importance of pass blocking & receiving ability in a passing league?

Thanks bro. This was a good write up. I still don’t like his stride, but that highlight reel was encouraging. He makes guys miss with very subtle movement & I thought he used his size well to break a few tackles.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw it.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

This guy, if he can pass protect as a rookie...his single biggest issue at this point....will be to catch passes.

If he can't pass protect as a rookie....is single biggest issue will be the health of Leonard Fournette because he won't see the field.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Based on what I've heard and about this guy, my take is that he's Brady's new James White.
Snake

Post by Snake »

CannonFire wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:26 pm Based on what I've heard and about this guy, my take is that he's Brady's new James White.
Maybe. James White is a tremendous pass protector. What is Rachaad?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:44 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:26 pm Based on what I've heard and about this guy, my take is that he's Brady's new James White.
Maybe. James White is a tremendous pass protector. What is Rachaad?
Yep. Pass protection matters more than pass catching abilities when you’re talking about a 3rd down RB. That’s what Vaughn was supposed to be but his issue his ball security.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

As a receiver

2020 8 for 8 - 151 yards
2021 43 for 48 - 456 yards
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

He's the guy you block for.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:54 pm
Man, watching those clips the guy seems like he is barely running but he is picking up yards. It will be cool to see what he can do when/if he gets an opportunity.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

LOL, PFF locked me out. They want $8.25 a month - the whole year in advance.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:07 pm
Primeminister wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:54 pm
Man, watching those clips the guy seems like he is barely running but he is picking up yards. It will be cool to see what he can do when/if he gets an opportunity.
I tried to see the light at the end of the tunnel and trust me it ain't in those tapes.

He doesn't appear to be very sudden or decisive as a rusher. Doesn't look like a top athlete. Seems like a guy who will have 6 runs for 8 yards before bursting off a random run for 25, then you look at the stat line and say "wow, he has 7 runs for 33 yards!"

He's going to take a lot of hits on every run too with that style if he's not stopped in the backfield consistently.
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:26 pm
13F11B wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:07 pm

I tried to see the light at the end of the tunnel and trust me it ain't in those tapes.

He doesn't appear to be very sudden or decisive as a rusher. Doesn't look like a top athlete. Seems like a guy who will have 6 runs for 8 yards before bursting off a random run for 25, then you look at the stat line and say "wow, he has 7 runs for 33 yards!"

He's going to take a lot of hits on every run too with that style if he's not stopped in the backfield consistently.
My gut is telling me the same. He only looked really dynamic against a couple teams (to my eye) and those defenses weren’t any good. A little worried about him. He has to be very sure handed and a good blocker for this to be a good pick imo.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:29 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:26 pm

My gut is telling me the same. He only looked really dynamic against a couple teams (to my eye) and those defenses weren’t any good. A little worried about him. He has to be very sure handed and a good blocker for this to be a good pick imo.
What he can show in the pass game is probably what will keep him here. You did mention that he looked better at the 2nd level, which would be against DBs & LBs. His frame is such that he can break a few tackles. So that could be the end game.

Basically he's moreso a younger, cheaper replacement for Gio eventually
MJW

Post by MJW »

3rd Round ain't late. And I'm not a huge fan of this kid TBH. Some nice traits. I like that he's got a 3-down skillset. But the first thing I look for with any back is at least one elite trait. If they have one elite trait - vision, speed, pass blocking, whatever - they can be great if put in the right situation. Not sure I see any here.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Kamara: 4.56
White: 4.48
ROJO: 4.65
Vaughn: 4.51
Bernard: 4.53
Conner: 4.65
Henry: 4.54

Just the look-up messenger.
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

MJW wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:43 pm

3rd Round ain't late. And I'm not a huge fan of this kid TBH. Some nice traits. I like that he's got a 3-down skillset. But the first thing I look for with any back is at least one elite trait. If they have one elite trait - vision, speed, pass blocking, whatever - they can be great if put in the right situation. Not sure I see any here.
OK, I've watched a bit of his tape (not a ton) and if you want an elite trait he does have one - though I don't know how much it's valued. The kid is an absolute natural pass catcher. He's already got the best hands in our RB room. LF isn't a natural, he's gotten fairly proficient, but every catch is a struggle for him still. KV even more so. Even Gio doesn't have that smoothness. If things had gone differently for the kid he might have ended up as a WR and may even have been draftable as such.

My personal player comp for him? Not production or "talent" wise, but stylistically, looking at how he runs and his body control and balance? Eddie George. He's an upright runner, but like George he has good lean into contact. He lacks George's power and aggression though. Put another 10 pounds on the guy and some mental adjustment and he could easily be a power runner, but he's a zone runner, not man.

His lateral agility is definitely outstanding. Stop and start both laterally and vertically are excellent. What I like most about him is his combination of vision and patience. Watch him hit holes and he seems to be going to the right spot almost always. He's very patient behind his block, but he doesn't dance - he doesn't delude himself that he's Barry Sanders, but he doesn't just hit the called hole like a tank like ROJO does. He has excellent acceleration in motion, and can stutter step as well as anyone.

One thing that shows up to me is his body control. He has the ability to keep his torso both perpendicular to the ground and facing upfield while his lower half can torque around and move in different ways than it would look like if you just saw his upper half. (sorry if that's hard to understand I can't really describe it better).

Negatively, he's lazy when he's running a route and isn't the target - he jogs enough to make Jaquezz proud. In pass pro he's passive and seems to sit and await contact. I DO wonder though if that was by design - he seems to be waiting for a green dog, but itching to get out into the flat.

Add some muscle and some attitude and you could have a power back with vision and acceleration and hands softer than a prison bitch.