Is the draft Unamerican?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
kaimaru

Re: Is the draft Unamerican?

Post by kaimaru »

Kress

Post by Kress »

Those aren't rockets.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:23 pm Image

You may have just given Elon a cookie.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

BJJ34 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:56 pm
Caradoc wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:42 pm Imagine being so simple you don't realize the draft is a restriction on the teams rather than on the players.
Umm… what?

The players have 0 say other than maybe bombing their interviews with the team. The teams have the ability to pick ANY player they want if they’re available. Say in my town I put my application in at UPMC, First National, and Sheetz… all three want to hire me. I have the choice to assess my options best suited to me. Use the leverage of the others to potentially get a better offer.

The NFL has completely taken that aspect away, you can’t leverage at all. You are assigned to where you are forced to play and then play there for 4-5 years or be blackballed/cut. How many great players would we see if there were open FA instead of the draft.
Not they have not, your analogy is shit.

No one forces them to play in the NFL.

Say you want to go to work at conglomerate, they give you the terms of your employment. "You will be relocated to a branch office that needs your services the most". you have a choice to accept or not. If you do not want to accept, you can go work at the USFL, CFL or Arena. the other options suck, but they are your options if you want to get paid to play a game for others entertainment.
nybf

Post by nybf »

You guys all just get the same script or what?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

nybf wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:06 pm You guys all just get the same script or what?
The Acme corporation hands them out.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Digital_Damage wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:40 pm
BJJ34 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:56 pm

Umm… what?

The players have 0 say other than maybe bombing their interviews with the team. The teams have the ability to pick ANY player they want if they’re available. Say in my town I put my application in at UPMC, First National, and Sheetz… all three want to hire me. I have the choice to assess my options best suited to me. Use the leverage of the others to potentially get a better offer.

The NFL has completely taken that aspect away, you can’t leverage at all. You are assigned to where you are forced to play and then play there for 4-5 years or be blackballed/cut. How many great players would we see if there were open FA instead of the draft.

Say you want to go to work at conglomerate, they give you the terms of your employment. "You will be relocated to a branch office that needs your services the most". you have a choice to accept or not. If you do not want to accept, you can go work at the USFL, CFL or Arena. the other options suck, but they are your options if you want to get paid to play a game for others entertainment.
In addition to this, you can refuse to play for your team, like Watson. Get paid for that season, traded next season. Bam fat new contract. Or you can asked to be traded. Doesn't always work, but it happened a few times recently. Might have to sit out the season.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:15 pm
Digital_Damage wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:40 pm

In addition to this, you can refuse to play for your team, like Watson. Get paid for that season, traded next season. Bam fat new contract. Or you can asked to be traded. Doesn't always work, but it happened a few times recently. Might have to sit out the season.
It doesn't work that way with the draft. If you refuse to play for your team, you sit out that season, you DON'T get paid because obviously you aren't signing a contract, and then you go right back into the draft next year. The only way you pick and choose your team is if you're a UDFA, and then you have to hope said team wants you.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
nybf

Post by nybf »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:30 am
kaimaru wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:15 pm

It doesn't work that way with the draft. If you refuse to play for your team, you sit out that season, you DON'T get paid because obviously you aren't signing a contract, and then you go right back into the draft next year. The only way you pick and choose your team is if you're a UDFA, and then you have to hope said team wants you.
Someone might want to tell Eli this.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

nybf wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:31 am
Defense5599 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:30 am

So these rules apply unless you’re a Manning, or really really good maybe?
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

BJJ34 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:34 am
nybf wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:31 am

Eli Manning wasn't the first to come forward and force a trade. That honor belongs to John Elway. But if you can force a draft day trade, then none of what I said applies.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Perfectly American. These kids interview with the teams, hoping to make a good impression on the team that gives them the best opportunity/money. Same as other college kids do with their degree. It's not like most will have their pick of 32 employers. If they don't like their situation and they are a top talent for what they do, they can decline the contract or ask to be released/traded.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:40 am
BJJ34 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:34 am

Eli Manning wasn't the first to come forward and force a trade. That honor belongs to John Elway. But if you can force a draft day trade, then none of what I said applies.
What about Bo Jackson not signing with the Bucs?
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:43 pm
Defense5599 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:40 am

Bucs still owned his draft rights. Traded them to the Raiders
nybf

Post by nybf »

Is there any other country that has a draft for any sport? What's the opposite of un-American?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:37 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:43 pm

Bucs still owned his draft rights. Traded them to the Raiders
Not true. The Bucs forfeited his rights before the 1987 draft. The Raiders drafted him in the 7th round, 183rd pick. We got nothing for that #1 pick.