Matt Ryan: Traded for a pack of Cigs

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Primeminister

Re: Re:

Post by Primeminister »

Moozician wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:39 am
CantonJester wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:21 pm All this did was make the Bucs' path to the NFCS title that much easier (it was already pretty damn well plotted), and the AFC playoff situation that much murkier. I mean, the entire AFCW might finish above .500, and the runner up in the AFCN might just win 13 games. Where's the 6 and 7 seed coming from? If KC wins the AFCW, pick one (or two) of LV, LAC and DEN, or can Bill Belichick outsmart his contemporaries into a 7th seed (assuming BUF wins the AFCE). Last, we have the AFCS. Tennessee is good, but Tannehill is still their QB. Does Wentz push IND into the conversation? Probably not, but he might just shove MIA out of any contention.

Random thoughts, yada yada.
Wentz now with Washington.
You meant to say Wentz is now a Commie.
CantonJester

Re: Re:

Post by CantonJester »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:23 am
Moozician wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:39 am Wentz now with Washington.
You meant to say Wentz is now a Commie.
Whoops. I meant Ryan, not Wentz.
Patrick McIrish

Re: Matt Ryan: Traded for a pack of Cigs

Post by Patrick McIrish »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:47 am
Patrick McIrish wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:49 pm

Is that worse than a can't cover anyone in the stadium defense?

Ryan has had a few MONSTER games against us through the air.....

I don't think Mary will do that although he may occasionally scramble for 50 yards or so.

That's the lesser of 2 poisons IMO.

Yes, Ryan is clearly an upgrade over Mary.

Just pointing out that in the last decade not many of our DT/DE can even get fifty tackles.

Point noted.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

whistlepig777 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:18 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:08 pm Great trade for the colts. Trying to pull off a manning bronco year. It's possible.

While it looks like things got easier, the NFL is full of surprises.
Ryan is no Peyton Manning, but the colts do now have a great shot at the division title.

Colts v Titans should be good games.
I'm mean Manning wasn't much Manning his last SB either so.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

No Peyton wasn’t Peyton. But that Super Bowl run was led by an all time great defense. Peyton was the weak link to be honest.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Everyone is talking about Peyton's last season at 39yrs. But his record breaking season was at 37yrs old, which Matt Ryan is this season.

Matt Ryan is an upgrade over Wentz and the Colts still netted a 3rd pick from the two they got from the Commies. Falcons are paying the bill. Savvy move after wasting 1st on Wentz last offseason.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Too bad Titans didn’t try to trade for Ryan.

Just imagine, Ryan, Henry and Brown
MJW

Post by MJW »

I'm not convinced Ryan has a ton left. He'll be 37 and he's taken 129 sacks over the last three years. His numbers were down, but the advanced metrics outright sucked. He'll have some help in Indy, but I don't think they're significantly closer to winning a title. This seems a lot like the Rivers move a couple of years ago.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He doesn't need a ton. Just one year. One string of good post season games. And he leans on the run.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Dread wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:21 pm Everyone is talking about Peyton's last season at 39yrs. But his record breaking season was at 37yrs old, which Matt Ryan is this season.

Matt Ryan is an upgrade over Wentz and the Colts still netted a 3rd pick from the two they got from the Commies. Falcons are paying the bill. Savvy move after wasting 1st on Wentz last offseason.
Ryan also doesn't have a serious neck injury in his past that caused nerve damage to his throwing arm. It's like people forget Peyton's arm died because of that, not because he magically turned 39 and his muscles instantaneously degraded to those of an 80 year old.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:14 am I'm not convinced Ryan has a ton left. He'll be 37 and he's taken 129 sacks over the last three years. His numbers were down, but the advanced metrics outright sucked. He'll have some help in Indy, but I don't think they're significantly closer to winning a title. This seems a lot like the Rivers move a couple of years ago.
I think you'll be surprised. Despite the number of sacks he's had no significant injuries. He also was as accurate and efficient last season as he has ever been. I don't really give a fuck about advanced metrics in this case. Matt Ryan took the least talented team in the NFL last year and made them not terrible. Watch how awful they are this year and you'll see what I mean. Is Matt Ryan an all time great? No, but he's a really fucking good QB and nothing about the way he has played recently has been any indication that he's close to being done physically.

To put it this way, if Daddy Brady hadn't come back I would have been elated if we managed to land Matt Ryan somehow.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:36 am He doesn't need a ton. Just one year. One string of good post season games. And he leans on the run.
Yeah, I assume that's the thinking. Run the ball a ton, play D, go no worse than 4-2 in the South, maybe another 3-1 against the NFC East, and hope the formula works in the playoffs.

It makes sense. But while I wouldn't have bet a wooden nickel on them with Wentz, I might bet a wooden nickel on them with Ryan. Which is to say, they still have really long odds.
Let's roll another joint
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Patrick McIrish wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:41 pm
CannonFire wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:24 pm Looks like the Falcons just upgraded their QB situation.
I don't think Mary is an upgrade over Ryan.
Matt Ryan is a statue. They have one of the worst pass blocking lines in the NFL, no RB to be a bell cow to rely on... only a back-up type (Davis), and gimmick guy (Paterson), no WR's as Gage is gone and Ridley is suspended, and their defense is crap. Ryan was the most pressured QB last year and the 6th most sacked. Mariota's physical skill set makes him much more capable of running an offense like that. Is Ryan a better passer? Maybe he was, but I don't know that he is.

With Matt LaFluer as his OC in 2018, Mariota put up decent passing numbers he completed almost 69% of his passes, was at 7.6 ypa, a passer rating over 92, and a winning record with his best receiver being the below average Corey Davis.

In 2019, when he lost his job, it's funny that Arthur Smith was his OC and is now his HC. I'm going to assume that Smith knows what he has in Mariota because he didn't waste any time in getting him after trading Ryan. Look, I'm not saying that Atlanta is now going to be good, I think their ceiling is 7 wins, but it's most likely going to be 5 or 6. The thing is, with Matt Ryan, I thought their ceiling was 5 or 6, but the more likely scenario was 3 or 4. That's why I say they upgraded.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Mariota has always seemed to lack pocket awareness which eventually costs him. He may not get sacked on the same plays Ryan would but he'll still have the issue.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Four Verticals wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:49 pm Mariota has always seemed to lack pocket awareness which eventually costs him. He may not get sacked on the same plays Ryan would but he'll still have the issue.
Pocket Awareness is one of his biggest problems. I think an even bigger one is aggressiveness. He never seems to have gotten comfortable with the NFL's idea of "open" after throwing to wide-open guys at Oregon all the time. When I've watched him, there are just too many times he needs to pull the trigger and he hesitates or checks down.
Let's roll another joint
Patrick McIrish

CannonFire wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:08 am
Patrick McIrish wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:41 pm

I don't think Mary is an upgrade over Ryan.
Matt Ryan is a statue.
As is Brady.

I'm not going to get caught up in arguing this, seems silly to me but it is what it is.

I want a QB who can THROW the football downfield. Has the arm to make hash throws.

In today's NFL you have to have that to win.

Is a running QB good? Sure, but only if he can also throw the ball downfield. If he can do that and run, beautiful.

Mary can not do that.

These guys are right, he lacks pocket presence and lacks the confidence in his own arm to hit guys deep.

He's a finesse guy coming from the softest conference in college football, receivers aren't going to be open like they were in Oregon.

Sorry, Mary is bottom 4th of the league and that is probably generous.

He's going to break a few runs but overall severely limit what the Falcons (and anyone else) does on offense.
Patrick McIrish

MJW touched on this but being able to run is not the same as pocket awareness.

They don't have to be mutually exclusive but sometimes they are.

I think casuals get in their head if a QB can run he will be good in the pocket, good at evading pressure.....

That's just not the case.

In fact some of the most non-athletic QB's around are the best in the pocket. They have to be to make it to this level.

And often running QB's are quick to look to run, they fall back on what they do best.

Mary is the Vinny Testaverde type, happy feet almost immediately, drops his eyes from looking downfield and is ready to check down or run.

HUGE downgrade going from Ryan to Mary. Huge. No reason for this to be a discussion.....

We move on.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Patrick McIrish wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:50 pm
CannonFire wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:08 am

Matt Ryan is a statue.
As is Brady.
And how well do you think he'd fear behind one of the 3 worst pass blocking OLines in football, no passing targets, and a below average running game?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Patrick McIrish wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:59 pm MJW touched on this but being able to run is not the same as pocket awareness.

I think casuals get in their head if a QB can run he will be good in the pocket, good at evading pressure.....

In fact some of the most non-athletic QB's around are the best in the pocket. They have to be to make it to this level.

And often running QB's are quick to look to run, they fall back on what they do best.

Mary is the Vinny Testaverde type, happy feet almost immediately, drops his eyes from looking downfield and is ready to check down or run.

HUGE downgrade going from Ryan to Mary. Huge. No reason for this to be a discussion.....

We move on.
I'd take Testaverde over Mariota 100 out of 100 times.
Don't tread on me
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:38 am
Patrick McIrish wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:59 pm MJW touched on this but being able to run is not the same as pocket awareness.

We move on.
When he was like 33-35 right?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 am
Buc2 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:38 am

He had the unfortunate displeasure of playing under the bad Culverhouse years with some equally bad head coaches.
Don't tread on me
These Are The Days

Buc2 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:29 am

He had the unfortunate displeasure of playing under the bad Culverhouse years with some equally bad head coaches.
Oh Hugh.... Ray Perkins = Vince Lombardi because he's from Alabama

There's a resident sports shitposter who's sense of humor is as insufferable as I am in the Politics forum makes content on youtube. And he is incredible at it. He used to just meme everything but now this dude is gonna get a job doing sports documentaries one day at the rate he's going.
These Are The Days

Patrick McIrish

CannonFire wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:40 am
Patrick McIrish wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:50 pm

As is Brady.
And how well do you think he'd fear behind one of the 3 worst pass blocking OLines in football, no passing targets, and a below average running game?
Have no idea what point you are trying to make with this?

If you have no weapons, no run game and horrible OLine you bring in a QB who likes to run to cure it all??

That would be the WORST situation to bring in a 1-dimensional running QB.

Mary is a bum. He isn't going to make anyone better. Certainly not an improvement over Ryan.

What, 5 years ago Ryan was the MVP!!? Threw almost 5k yard, 38TD's and 7 picks......

Mary threw 1 completion last year for 4 yards!! Four fing yards!! He's been battling even to get on the field!?

But yeah if they get Mary he's going to scramble them to unparalleled heights with his "run game". :roll:
Patrick McIrish

Buc2 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:29 am

He was definitely playing in an era when saving money was preferred over wins.

Of course being color-blind didn't help either.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Him announcing it publicly so away games the other team would wear white at home also didn't help.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:23 pm Him announcing it publicly so away games the other team would wear white at home also didn't help.
Did that really happen??
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Primeminister wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:31 pm
kaimaru wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:23 pm Him announcing it publicly so away games the other team would wear white at home also didn't help.
Did that really happen??
Iirc, yes. Funny shit.
Don't tread on me
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Patrick McIrish wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:09 am
CannonFire wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:40 am

Have no idea what point you are trying to make with this?

If you have no weapons, no run game and horrible OLine you bring in a QB who likes to run to cure it all??

That would be the WORST situation to bring in a 1-dimensional running QB.

Mary is a bum. He isn't going to make anyone better. Certainly not an improvement over Ryan.

What, 5 years ago Ryan was the MVP!!? Threw almost 5k yard, 38TD's and 7 picks......

Mary threw 1 completion last year for 4 yards!! Four fing yards!! He's been battling even to get on the field!?

But yeah if they get Mary he's going to scramble them to unparalleled heights with his "run game". :roll:
I gotchya. You're pretending that Mariota is a lot worse than what he really is. Carry on.