Rapid Reactions Week 6: 28-22 Win @ Eagles

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Primeminister

Re: Rapid Reactions Week 6: 28-22 Win @ Eagles

Post by Primeminister »

Xandtar wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:20 am
Primeminister wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:44 am

Hates us in what way? Like we are overrated? Also can you share some of those pundits?
Here's two guys, a Packers and a Broncos Fan, who sometimes join three others for a five-fan composite of their individual channels, hoping their Bucs curse would hold... enjoy.

Thanks. This should be a fun listen while I’m doing other shit.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

So do we think Brady's thumb was actually fucked in the 2nd half which caused a lot of our struggles, or did we just try to ice the game too early and plain made too many errors in decision making and playcalling?

I think it may at least be a combination of both because it seemed like Brady was only throwing screen for the most part in the 2nd half. He was surgical in the 1st half then that very last drive before halftime he just couldn't throw with accuracy it seemed.

Of course Brady and Arians will downplay his thumb but I think it was at least somewhat of a factor in that bad second half.
MJW

Post by MJW »

ATrain wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:28 am So do we think Brady's thumb was actually fucked in the 2nd half which caused a lot of our struggles, or did we just try to ice the game too early and plain made too many errors in decision making and playcalling?

I think it may at least be a combination of both because it seemed like Brady was only throwing screen for the most part in the 2nd half. He was surgical in the 1st half then that very last drive before halftime he just couldn't throw with accuracy it seemed.

Of course Brady and Arians will downplay his thumb but I think it was at least somewhat of a factor in that bad second half.
Late in the second quarter, Brady went from being straight money to unable to hit the broadside of a barn. The smart money is on him banging his thumb and/or having it swell back up on him.

I'm just going to assume 10 days off will fix it, or else I'm going to panic.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

MJW wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:37 am
ATrain wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:28 am So do we think Brady's thumb was actually fucked in the 2nd half which caused a lot of our struggles, or did we just try to ice the game too early and plain made too many errors in decision making and playcalling?

Late in the second quarter, Brady went from being straight money to unable to hit the broadside of a barn. The smart money is on him banging his thumb and/or having it swell back up on him.

I'm thinking it did just swell back up and rest will fix it. You'd think if his thumb was severely damaged that he wouldn't be able to throw the ball as well as he did in the first half.

Crossing my fingers that after 10 days his thumb injury will be a thing of the past.
MJW

Post by MJW »

ATrain wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:46 am
MJW wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:37 am

I'm thinking it did just swell back up and rest will fix it. You'd think if his thumb was severely damaged that he wouldn't be able to throw the ball as well as he did in the first half.

Crossing my fingers that after 10 days his thumb injury will be a thing of the past.
I'm comforted by how much they're downplaying it, but at the same time, I could see it becoming a problem all season whenever he bangs it on a helmet. We were able to get away with lots of running/lots of screens against a bad Eagles team with a comfy lead. I can't see that dog hunting in the playoffs against the Rams or the Packers.
Let's roll another joint
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Kona wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:25 pm I’ll take the W any day, but coach can’t defend that 4th down call.

Hope Sherman is ok for Chicago.
I can defend going for it. I can not defend the play call. It should have been a run with how badly we had been gashing them. Perhaps it was a bad choice and bad throw by Brady but I would not have called a pass play.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Healthy or not, JPP appears to be on a steep decline. In a contract year with his replacement seemingly already on the roster, I think it's safe to say he won't be back in 2022.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

JPP is either on a decline or he's being hampered by his shoulder. Either way, JT needs to become the full fledged starter and JPP needs to be on a strict pitch count. He probably still be effective in small doses, but that needs to be it. Joe's athleticism jumps off the screen and it's glaringly obvious how much more effective he is at least as a pass rusher. Maybe JPP is still the better run defender but I don't have the data to back that up.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

He's not even the better run defender at this point. His gap integrity was shit last night. Gave up contain on numerous occasions out there. The Eagles are a good rushing team, so I expected that they'd get something on the ground. But JPP made it easy for them at times.
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

The last 27 yd pass to AB was an on target bullet. Didn't see Brady grimacing. Hopefully they were just managing his throws to avoid strain on his thumb. He'll be fine.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

13F11B wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:22 pm Closer than it should have been, but a win is a win. Nice to be 5-1.
If the Bucs didn't go into Victory Formation, it would have been 35-22. Not close. Not at all close.
Don't tread on me
MJW

Post by MJW »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:49 am
13F11B wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:22 pm Closer than it should have been, but a win is a win. Nice to be 5-1.
If the Bucs didn't go into Victory Formation, it would have been 35-22. Not close. Not at all close.
At no point, even when they converted the two to make it 28-22, did I feel like we might lose that game. The Eagles aren't there yet and I don't think Hurts is the guy to get them there.
Let's roll another joint
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

AJPG wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:28 am The last 27 yd pass to AB was an on target bullet. Didn't see Brady grimacing. Hopefully they were just managing his throws to avoid strain on his thumb. He'll be fine.
I certainly hope so. I feel good about the ability to get 10 days of rest with the thumb too. Watching Brady play really makes me understand just how bad the Buccaneers QB play has been for decades.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

When we were up 28-7… it seemed like we completely took our foot off the gas. Vea was dancing on the sidelines, we had some backups in on defense.

Then they drove and the offense never woke back up until that final drive. The scariest part of our offense is we’re so dynamic, but one slip up or a hold and we’re pedestrian again. We don’t fare well in third and long despite having a great OL and the best receiving corps since the Steelers in the 70s.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Biggest struggle of the night for Vea.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Now THAT was funny. Love the big guy, though.
Don't tread on me
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

It’s looks like a bear with a bucket stuck on his head. :lol:
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

ATrain wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:34 am
Yea, this isn’t a surprise. They basically announced that he’d be out for the rest of the game as he was walking to the lockerroom. That’s never a good sign.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Vea channeling his inner Beavis.
Posted before, but Sherman is no loss at all, other than the salary we still ahve to pay him. He was playing bad...like worst CB on the field bad. Missed tackles, DPI calls. If his name was Sichard Rerman, he'd either be on the practice squad, or released already.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

acmillis wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:39 am Vea channeling his inner Beavis.
Posted before, but Sherman is no loss at all, other than the salary we still ahve to pay him. He was playing bad...like worst CB on the field bad. Missed tackles, DPI calls. If his name was Sichard Rerman, he'd either be on the practice squad, or released already.
On the throw to Devonta Smith prior to his injury… Smith was 4-5 yards ahead of Sherman and the ball was way out of bounds. If the ball was accurate, Sherman gave up 6.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Cheb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:28 pm - Shaq Barrett had maybe his best game as a Buc. He had what, six or seven near-sacks? If the QB were even slightly less mobile, Shaq woulda had a career day.
- Defense played great for three quarters, excepting those two big DPIs. The first DPI was just bad by Dean but kinda unavoidable, the second was a smart play by Edwards; not TOO mad about either.
- Fournette is playing really well, but letting Rojo take a few snaps so that Leonard still has his legs in January wouldn't be a bad idea.
- The OL played great all around. There were some screwups but altogether not bad.
- Can't wait to read all the conspiracy stuff about Brady's thumb health.
- OJ Howard played a great game.
- We need to get Mike involved in the passing game more, imo. I enjoy what AB's been doing, but sending Mike Evans one ball a quarter isn't smart.
- JPP didn't look great; contrast that with JTS, who looked quite good.
- White still has wheels.
- I didn't get mad at Kevin Minter, so I guess good job.
- Hope Sherman gets healthy.
- Ross Cockrell coulda had a career game but he blew it.
Here's my only question... the rest I agree with.

Do you really think the defense played great? Or more likely that some players had a great game? I ask because I saw wide open receivers all night and because Hurts stinks, he couldn't get them the ball.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:39 am
Cheb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:28 pm - Shaq Barrett had maybe his best game as a Buc. He had what, six or seven near-sacks? If the QB were even slightly less mobile, Shaq woulda had a career day.
- Defense played great for three quarters, excepting those two big DPIs. The first DPI was just bad by Dean but kinda unavoidable, the second was a smart play by Edwards; not TOO mad about either.
- Fournette is playing really well, but letting Rojo take a few snaps so that Leonard still has his legs in January wouldn't be a bad idea.
- The OL played great all around. There were some screwups but altogether not bad.
- Can't wait to read all the conspiracy stuff about Brady's thumb health.
- OJ Howard played a great game.
- We need to get Mike involved in the passing game more, imo. I enjoy what AB's been doing, but sending Mike Evans one ball a quarter isn't smart.
- JPP didn't look great; contrast that with JTS, who looked quite good.
- White still has wheels.
- I didn't get mad at Kevin Minter, so I guess good job.
- Hope Sherman gets healthy.
- Ross Cockrell coulda had a career game but he blew it.

Do you really think the defense played great? Or more likely that some players had a great game? I ask because I saw wide open receivers all night and because Hurts stinks, he couldn't get them the ball.
Gotta agree with you here. Context is needed. Jalen Hurts was also terrible last night. His decision making was bad. He clearly was not seeing the field. He’s more inaccurate than I thought. That’s not to say our defense was bad. But I can’t get an accurate enough assessment based on what we went up against to say they were “great”. They still missed a lot of tackles. Still had issues in coverage. I said last night it’s a good thing the refs aren’t calling many penalties. Whitehead got away with at least 2 holds. Dean got away with PI on a handful odd snaps. The defense has a lot to clean up but I am confident they will.
Last edited by King Bootz on Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

acmillis wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:39 am Vea channeling his inner Beavis.
Yea other than Sherman being a body, I don't think we looked any better or worse without him on the field. In fact, given how slow he is, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. He simply doesn't have the speed to keep up anymore.

I'll leave a him a little benefit of the doubt in that maybe he just doesn't have his game legs yet and he'll be faster as the season goes on, but I'm about 90% sure he's washed and should only be covering very specific TEs that are on the slower side.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Gonna see how resilient this team is. Someone’s gotten hurt in every game this season. It helps a ton that we play a lot of shitty teams. But this is the NFL and sometimes injuries just become too much.
njdungeoneer

Post by njdungeoneer »

The first half was great for the Bucs but the second half had all kinds of problems. Brady was clearly off, probably his thumb issue.
I liked how the ref, and then Jensen, came over to protect Brady from Barrett during the interception run back. Can't let him get hurt
on any ticky tack play. Both the NFL and the Bucs would hate that!
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

In defense of our defense, which other defensive unit in the league would have good coverage if their 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th corners are playing against #1, 2, and 3 receivers and tight ends?
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

I didn't realize that on the play where Brady threw the first "interception" that was correctly overturned, he hit his thumb on Fletcher Cox. I think that pretty easily explains why his performance fell off so sharply afterwards.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

AJPG wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:28 am The last 27 yd pass to AB was an on target bullet. Didn't see Brady grimacing. Hopefully they were just managing his throws to avoid strain on his thumb. He'll be fine.
A bullet, but behind him. Had the DB been more aware, that ball gets picked off... or at least the play would've been broken up. If that happens, we're punting from the Eagles 45 and they get the ball back with over 3 minutes to score.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:42 am
CannonFire wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:39 am

Gotta agree with you here. Context is needed. Jalen Hurts was also terrible last night. His decision making was bad. He clearly was not seeing the field. He’s more inaccurate than I thought. That’s not to say our defense was bad. But I can’t get an accurate enough assessment based on what we went up against to say they were “great”. They still missed a lot of tackles. Still had issues in coverage. I said last night it’s a good thing the refs aren’t calling many penalties. Whitehead got away with at least 2 holds. Dean got away with PI on a handful odd snaps. The defense has a lot to clean up but I am confident they will.
Agreed. They weren't bad, but I certainly think the word "great" is an exaggeration. I'm not worried about the long term status of our defense because we should be back with everyone after the bye, but short term, we're lucky we're playing crappy teams.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

ATrain wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:06 am In defense of our defense, which other defensive unit in the league would have good coverage if their 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th corners are playing against #1, 2, and 3 receivers and tight ends?
I'm not so disappointed in the execution, that'll get fixed when guys get healthy. I'm more concerned with the play calling. Also, this seemed to be the first time all year that our pass rush really got into the backfield as expected.