Rapid Reactions Week 5: 45-17 win vs Miami

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Scudbuster49

Re: Rapid Reactions Week 5: 45-17 win vs Miami

Post by Scudbuster49 »

With the mental turn around he instilled in the Bucs last season, he should have been the 2020 MVP.
vivalaReagan

Post by vivalaReagan »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:21 pm
Moozician wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:52 pm
30 comp
41 att
411 yards
5 TD
0 ints
44 years old

I would guess, anyway
I think the mdb part is the fact that he correlated this with Bowles getting a HC job next year. Makes no sense.
wasn’t trying to correlate the two; just too cryptic of a post, i guess. my bad.

essentially, i was posting two separate rapid reactions. the bowles comment was a criticism of how this defense has played all season (and last season, too, save the last six or eight games).

the second was brady’s stat line with his age as the last stat. the dude is remarkable at any age but the way he’s playing at 44? ridiculous. as i stated in another game thread, we long suffering bucs fans deserve this.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Rocker wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:06 pm While we can all gloat about the final score, this team better make some changes on D. Soon.
We will see some changes on D. As soon as our #1 corner, #2 corner and #1 safety come back from IR.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The reason Brady won't win an MVP here is because of the hype surrounding not just him but the team he's surrounded with.

All you hear is that this is the best group of skills players ever. That there are numerous HOF players on this roster. That this is the best collection of talent he's ever had on 1 team.

Because of that, him putting up big numbers is expected around the league. He'll get penalized for the pieces around him. If any player with lesser talent puts up similar numbers they'll get the nod. Brady has to have a record breaking type season to win MVP. Something like 60 TDs, close to 6000 yards, 70% completion...He would have to separate himself from the pack.

Realistically, the best we can hope for is another Super Bowl MVP award.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Who is our #4 receiver?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Yes, I know it hurts.
Kress

Post by Kress »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:48 pm Realistically, the best we can hope for is another Super Bowl MVP award.

Sold!
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

I didn’t realize this is Brady’s first 400 yard 5TD game ever.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Good to see them clicking on all cylinders on offense. Lenny must have thought this was a January game with how hard he was running.

Defensively they still have to tighten up and get healthy. It was good to see JPP back out there.
Last edited by Redrum on Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Primeminister wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:25 pm I didn’t realize this is Brady’s first 400 yard 5TD game ever.
Thats hard to believe. Hope he gets a few more.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:48 pm The reason Brady won't win an MVP here is because of the hype surrounding not just him but the team he's surrounded with.

All you hear is that this is the best group of skills players ever. That there are numerous HOF players on this roster. That this is the best collection of talent he's ever had on 1 team.

Because of that, him putting up big numbers is expected around the league. He'll get penalized for the pieces around him. If any player with lesser talent puts up similar numbers they'll get the nod. Brady has to have a record breaking type season to win MVP. Something like 60 TDs, close to 6000 yards, 70% completion...He would have to separate himself from the pack.

I think he too would trade every other honor this year for one more Lombardi to lift. Me too. Let the State Farmers duke it out for regular-season MVP...
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

Brady don't need no stinking badges.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I hope the connection between Brady and Johnson continues to progress.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

ATrain wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:26 pm Did Brady break a record today? I thought after like his 4th or 5tj TD the announcer at the game was saying something about a record being broken.
At the game on the big boards, it said something to the effect of most consecutive passes w/out a INT in Bucs history. More of a, "Wow...the Bucs have had terrible QB play since '76 record" than a wow...Brady is amazing.
Max

Post by Max »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:48 pm The reason Brady won't win an MVP here is because of the hype surrounding not just him but the team he's surrounded with.

He's on pace to break the single season passing record (even in a 16 game season), if he does that, he's definitely going to win MVP.
Dread

Post by Dread »

acmillis wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:54 am
ATrain wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:26 pm Did Brady break a record today? I thought after like his 4th or 5tj TD the announcer at the game was saying something about a record being broken.
At the game on the big boards, it said something to the effect of most consecutive passes w/out a INT in Bucs history. More of a, "Wow...the Bucs have had terrible QB play since '76 record" than a wow...Brady is amazing.
If Brady plays next season he'll likely break the Bucs franchise record for passing TDs in just 3 seasons here.

Jameis holds the record with 121 in 5 seasons.

Brady has 55 in 21 games, or 65 in 25 games including the playoffs as a Buccaneer already.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Max wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:03 am

He's on pace to break the single season passing record (even in a 16 game season), if he does that, he's definitely going to win MVP.
Gotta love those yards, huh?
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Fournette becoming a true 3 down back for us is huge imo. He got a ton of criticism last year for his dropped passes, and rightfully so. But he's showing great improvement in that area and is trending towards becoming a reliable pass catcher out of the backfield. He's our best pass blocking back and is running well. He's able to truck defenders and plant a foot in the turf and make them miss.

If Fournette continues his good play, when combined with Gio being a dedicated 3rd down back, our RB issues are all but gone. Adding a good backfield to the mix with our prolific passing attack could truly push our offense towards indefensible(or as close as an offense can be in the NFL).

Very proud and happy for Lenny. He's living up to his potential and playing inspired football.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

It does appear that this season stats are really important to Brady, more so than I've ever seen before.

We all saw it late in the LA game when the game was out of reach and then yesterday, with the game already locked away in the 4th...Brady still going deep for more.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:02 am It does appear that this season stats are really important to Brady, more so than I've ever seen before.

We all saw it late in the LA game when the game was out of reach and then yesterday, with the game already locked away in the 4th...Brady still going deep for more.
He has incentives tied to his stats. Of course he values them.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

I'd say Tom values his production for reasons other than some minor financial bonuses. He and Giselle are damn near billionaires. A couple extra mil is basically meaningless to them.

Brady is pushing stats for legacy not only for him but this Bucs team. He wants to end his career with exclamation marks, not question marks or ellipsis.
Last edited by ATrain on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

ATrain wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:14 am I'd say Tom values his production for reasons other than some minor financial bonuses. He and Giselle are damn near billionaires. A couple extra mil is basically meaningless to them.

Brady is pushing stats for legacy not only for him but this Bucs team. He wants to end his career with exclamation marks, not question marks or ampersands.
You don't hear about millionaires and billionaires passing up free money. And while I agree historical legacy is important to him, don't think for a second that the money isn't a motivation. Otherwise it would've never been part of his deal.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

If Brady was playing for money he could've easily asked for a raise after winning the SB. What would Licht have said? No?

Will Brady turn down money? Nope. But he's absolutely not playing well right now or pushing stats for negligible bonus money.

The narrative around our team is that we're saturated with talented players on offense. Some say this this the most talented receiving group ever assembled. The last thing Tom wants to do is end his career with this embarrassment of riches and anyone think that he in any way underachieved or under-performed.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

ATrain wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:19 am If Brady was playing for money he could've easily asked for a raise after winning the SB. What would Licht have said? No?

Will Brady turn down money? Nope. But he's absolutely not playing well right now or pushing stats for negligible bonus money.

The narrative around our team is that we're saturated with talented players on offense. Some say this this the most talented receiving group ever assembled. The last thing Tom wants to do is end his career with this embarrassment of riches and anyone think that he in any way underachieved or under-performed.
You do realize he restructured his contract after the Super Bowl , right? He's getting $41 million this season.

I understand that it's nice to think millionaires stop playing for the money at some point, but come on man. Brady ain't no fool. He and Giselle didn't built the empire they have by looking at specific amounts of money as "negligible". Again, if he didn't care about it, it wouldn't be in the contract.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:29 am
ATrain wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:19 am If Brady was playing for money he could've easily asked for a raise after winning the SB. What would Licht have said? No?

You do realize he restructured his contract after the Super Bowl , right? He's getting $41 million this season.

I understand that it's nice to think millionaires stop playing for the money at some point, but come on man. Brady ain't no fool. He and Giselle didn't built the empire they have by looking at specific amounts of money as "negligible". Again, if he didn't care about it, it wouldn't be in the contract.
But that was done to free up cap space for this year. He got his $50 mil contract converted to mostly signing bonuses and pushed down the road. He didn't really get a pay raise at all. He got the bulk of his undervalued contract upfront.

And bonus money is built into damn near any contract. Sure, Brady will take it. But the idea that he's putting up stats right now for an insignificant amount of bonus money just doesn't compute.

If you strongly believe that Brady is playing for a tiny bonus check, then okay, there's not much that can be said to persuade you.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

ATrain wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:35 am
King Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:29 am

But that was done to free up cap space for this year. He got his $50 mil contract converted to mostly signing bonuses and pushed down the road. He didn't really get a pay raise at all. He got the bulk of his undervalued contract upfront.

And bonus money is built into damn near any contract. Sure, Brady will take it. But the idea that he's putting up stats right now for an insignificant amount of bonus money just doesn't compute.

If you strongly believe that Brady is playing for a tiny bonus check, then okay, there's not much that can be said to persuade you.
That's incorrect. The charges were pushed down the road, not his payments. It's like going from paying with your bank account to paying with your credit card. He got his money up front, Bucs pay for it later in the form of voidable years and dead money.

Here is an article breaking everything down.

https://www.nfl.com/news/tom-brady-bucc ... -extension

The bigger question is why wouldn't he play for the extra money? If you think your argument that "he has enough already" has a leg to stand on, wake up. He could easily say give me the vet minimum and have at it. People in that tax bracket get as much as they can as soon as they can. And it's never enough.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 am
ATrain wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:35 am

That's incorrect. The charges were pushed down the road, not his payments. It's like going from paying with your bank account to paying with your credit card. He got his money up front, Bucs pay for it later in the form of voidable years and dead money.

Here is an article breaking everything down.

https://www.nfl.com/news/tom-brady-bucc ... -extension

The bigger question is why wouldn't he play for the extra money? If you think your argument that "he has enough already" has a leg to stand on, wake up. He could easily say give me the vet minimum and have at it. People in that tax bracket get as much as they can as soon as they can. And it's never enough.
Well, this circles back to the original argument that somehow Brady got a pay raise because he has dead money of $41 mil this year. He didn't get a pay raise at least save for some minor bonuses for winning the SB and a few other items. He didn't even get a large signing bonus, just bonuses spread out over time. So, I guess I was wrong about him getting his money upfront.

But that again brings us back to the original premise of Brady playing for money, which he clearly isn't. He could've asked for a raise but didn't. Licht would've had no choice but to give Brady what he wants.

Brady is not playing right now for negligible incentives. He's playing well because he's the best QB in football surrounded by the best receiving talent in football. He's playing for legacy. He's playing for two in a row.

Some unimaginably small amount of bonus money does not even register with someone like Brady at this stage in his career with as much financial security that he and his family has accrued.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

OJ's failed blocking on Phillips was embarrassing.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Nobody Care to guess as to why the huge difference in TFL's with this year as opposed to last year?
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

25 of Brady's 30 completions either went for a first down or a touchdown.

Incredible.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I see we rotated G/C and T in this game.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

I don't think Brady worries about just HIS stats... He wants Evans to get another 1000 yard season, he wants to make sure AB continues his own legacy, stuff like that. While the main goal is another super bowl, I'm sure that sweeping the division and the division championship are on his mind as well.

And face it... Brady throwing long to THESE guys turns into a high-percentage completion pass rate.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Are we mitigating White and LVD or are opposing offenses doing this?
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

I guarantee Brady cares more about his teammates incentives and accomplishments more so than his own stat line or contract.

Proof being last game of the season last year feeding Evans the ball until he got his 1,000 yard season and then feeding AB at the end of the game so he reached his reception incentive.

I'm sure there's a bit of pride in there too. Many teams thought Brady and AB were done in this league, so lighting it up is gravy.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Moozician wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:16 pm I don't think Brady worries about just HIS stats... He wants Evans to get another 1000 yard season, he wants to make sure AB continues his own legacy, stuff like that. While the main goal is another super bowl, I'm sure that sweeping the division and the division championship are on his mind as well.

And face it... Brady throwing long to THESE guys turns into a high-percentage completion pass rate.
Umm, Mike having to fall all over himself on a comeback still shows a disconnect between the two.