Buccaneers vs Rams Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Kress

Re: Buccaneers vs Rams Discussion

Post by Kress »

I haven't watched a Rams game this year, so this is just based on random highlights, but it looks like Kupp is most effective on long-developing routes. They drag him across the middle quite a bit, and in general just seem to hit him while he's moving horizontal, not vertical. Vea consistently pushing the pocket back into Stafford's lap, and making HIM move horizontally before he can set to throw, could be a big deal. That and the speed of White/David keeping those throwing lanes nice and tight.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

If we win this game we go 17-0 :)

Also why are we playing the Rams again? I thought we rotate divisions every year
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Sdbucs wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:01 am If we win this game we go 17-0 :)

Also why are we playing the Rams again? I thought we rotate divisions every year
We both finished 2nd place in our respective divisions. Same reason we play Chicago again.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Terry Tate wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:48 pm
Primeminister wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:00 pm

I would say we are the most consistent high scoring team, but yes you’re correct. Also the Rams have been a near perfect matchup nightmare for us the last 2 years. They’re built to beat us.

Personally I think Donald is the GOAT DT and possibly GOAT defender period. Doing what he does from the tackle position is patently absurd. It’s tougher to gameplan for that pressure up the middle when you don’t have a mobile QB. Add in #5 for them @ CB and he will erase all short routes. Brady needs to stay away from him and live with what the defense gives. I’m expecting a big day from a combination of Godwin/AB and Gronk. If Gronk stays in for protection then Brate will have a good day. Unfortunately (for them)I think Evans or Godwin gets erased by #5 and Brady will live with that.
You aren't wrong.

I think we are more talented overall but they are a poor matchup for us even if we weren't down our #2 corner. However, a good gameplan and having the pass rush show up should be enough to do that job. If we can contain Donald and Kupp, our talent advantage should win out.
If our pass rush shows up this is a entirely different ballgame. They can’t run on us so if the pass rush shuts down the pass it’s going to be a blowout.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think more than ever this is a game that shows why Brady is here, and why he is who he is.

Donald, Ramsey, and the rest of that defense is going to take away a lot of options. But as long as Brady takes what the D gives us we should be fine, at the end of the day our 3rd and 4th options should be able to win their 1 on 1s well enough even if they shadow and double our top 2 options.

On defense, the DL just needs to get home. I doubt either team runs away with it early so it's going to come down to the 4th quarter, where I bet on us all day every day.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Bucs signed CB Rashard Robinson to the practice squad.

Robinson is 26yr old former 4th rd pick of San Fran. He's a rangy and athletic CB that excels in m2m coverage, which is the type of CB the Bucs seem to covet.

Robinson was suspended for the first 2 games of the season and has a history of suspensions due to substance abuse. Which is why he was available.

Hopefully he is cleaned up and can fill a role. But that is wishful thinking for sure.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If the NFL still testing for weed? I thought that stopped. If it did and he's still popping for substance abuse that's worrisome.

Apparently we're kicking the tires on Richard Sherman too.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Bucs o-line should be better than when we played them last year by virtue of having Marpet in and Jensen back at center. Bucs kept Donald from getting a tackle in that game even with Jensen's backup Shipley getting a career-ending injury before the last interception. Donald still got pressure and definitely influenced the flow of the offense, but he wasn't as disruptive as he can be. I suspect our o-line will handle him better than their o-line will handle Vea (on IR the last game). Unfortunately, Stafford is better when facing pressure than Goff is so may not be to our advantage.

Rams defense hasn't looked all that great so far, they're giving up almost 5 yards per rush. Watching their game this weekend, the Colts were moving almost at will between the twenties, but their playcalling near the endzone was crazy conservative. On offense, the Rams are down to Sony Michel and Jake Funk at RB at the moment. I just think their D will have to figure out how to guard against our receiving corps more than the Bucs will against theirs.

Plus, it's hard to bet against Brady whenever he's in a game that's a 'first' for him.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Doctor wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:01 pm If the NFL still testing for weed? I thought that stopped. If it did and he's still popping for substance abuse that's worrisome.

Apparently we're kicking the tires on Richard Sherman too.
Unsure, there was chatter about incentivizing players to get vaccinated by promising them no more testing for weed. Not sure how that worked itself out.

Weed isn't a performance enhancer when it comes to football so it was always silly to test for it anyways imo.

But yeah, anyone who gets multiple suspensions for the same behavior is an unreliable person.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Weed or no weed I’m glad he is here. Hopefully he can fill in for the next 5-6 weeks until SMB gets back.
PanteraCanes

Post by PanteraCanes »

Noles1724 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:32 pm thanks for including the opponents message board.. I think it should be a requirement when creating an opponent weekly discussion thread.

Edit: They do have a fantastic thread.. carefull NSFW

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/boobies.24576/
See you all later, I am switching allegiance
Dread

Post by Dread »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:02 pm Weed or no weed I’m glad he is here. Hopefully he can fill in for the next 5-6 weeks until SMB gets back.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I liked Robinson coming out of LSU.

He's got the talent to be a starter in the NFL. Just hasn't been able to keep his head on right.
RamFan909

Post by RamFan909 »

Rams fan here. Good to see you guys have headed over to the board.

Glad to see that even though you guys are the defending champs, you still realize the threat you'll face in LA.

Probably the best offense we will face this week. We need 2 or 3 Jalen Ramseys. Raheem Morris is underwhelming and lacks creativity as our DC. We'll need that against Brady. I think our offense can put up points on your defense though. Stafford has been just what we need in terms of a QB who can make plays and isn't afraid to let it rip. I can't wait for the game.
Dread

Post by Dread »

RamFan909 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:51 pm Rams fan here. Good to see you guys have headed over to the board.

Glad to see that even though you guys are the defending champs, you still realize the threat you'll face in LA.

Probably the best offense we will face this week. We need 2 or 3 Jalen Ramseys. Raheem Morris is underwhelming and lacks creativity as our DC. We'll need that against Brady. I think our offense can put up points on your defense though. Stafford has been just what we need in terms of a QB who can make plays and isn't afraid to let it rip. I can't wait for the game.
We are very familiar with Raheem. Hope he works out for you guys.

Rams are a good squad. Respect the move to get Stafford and hope it gets you guys a Lombardi before Donald and Ramsey get old. As Bucs fans we sold our future away when we traded for Keyshawn and Gruden as the 'missing pieces' but most agree it was worth it since we won a Super Bowl in 2002.

Trading away multiple 1st and 2nd rounders will haunt you eventually. But fuck it, that's the next GM's problem I suppose.

As far as Sunday, it's two good teams so turnovers and who can capitalize in the RZ will likely determine the winner. It'll be a high scoring affair. Colts moved the ball pretty easy on Sunday and the Bucs had alot more firepower than Indy.

I doubt the Rams even try to run the ball. Most teams surrender that part of the offense against us. So Stafford will light us up for close 400yds most likely.
RamFan909

Post by RamFan909 »

Dread wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:04 pm
RamFan909 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:51 pm Rams fan here. Good to see you guys have headed over to the board.

Rams are a good squad. Respect the move to get Stafford and hope it gets you guys a Lombardi before Donald and Ramsey get old. As Bucs fans we sold our future away when we traded for Keyshawn and Gruden as the 'missing pieces' but most agree it was worth it since we won a Super Bowl in 2002.

Trading away multiple 1st and 2nd rounders will haunt you eventually. But fuck it, that's the next GM's problem I suppose.

As far as Sunday, it's two good teams so turnovers and who can capitalize in the RZ will likely determine the winner. It'll be a high scoring affair. Colts moved the ball pretty easy on Sunday and the Bucs had alot more firepower than Indy.

I doubt the Rams even try to run the ball. Most teams surrender that part of the offense against us. So Stafford will light us up for close 400yds most likely.
I fear Morris will be outclassed against Brady and Arians. I think he's a good dude. I like his energy. But his defense should be better with players like Ramsey and Donald.

Stafford was always a great QB on very bad teams. He fits right in with what McVay likes but was unable to do with Goff, which is push the ball downfield. I think we're getting him right in his prime.

It would be nice if we're the 2nd team to host the Super Bowl in their home stadium. We have a great shot to do so this year.

I said your defense didn't scare me but man! That run defense is unreal. RBs don't stand a chance. We didn't run the ball much against you guys the last 2 games we played each other and I don't expect McVay to try much Sunday.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Noles1724 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:32 pm thanks for including the opponents message board.. I think it should be a requirement when creating an opponent weekly discussion thread.

Edit: They do have a fantastic thread.. carefull NSFW

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/boobies.24576/
I can already see that I will be relocating some great material.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

RamFan909 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:11 pm

I fear Morris will be outclassed against Brady and Arians. I think he's a good dude. I like his energy. But his defense should be better with players like Ramsey and Donald.

Stafford was always a great QB on very bad teams. He fits right in with what McVay likes but was unable to do with Goff, which is push the ball downfield. I think we're getting him right in his prime.

It would be nice if we're the 2nd team to host the Super Bowl in their home stadium. We have a great shot to do so this year.

I said your defense didn't scare me but man! That run defense is unreal. RBs don't stand a chance. We didn't run the ball much against you guys the last 2 games we played each other and I don't expect McVay to try much Sunday.
You might change your opinion after seeing Vea against your o-line. He wasn't in the last game, we'll see how your new center holds up. We'll also see how our o-line does at full strength against the Rams. We were down one of our best linemen, Marpet. Forced the center to play his spot, backup center ended up with a career-ending injury in the Rams game.

I think it'll come down to which secondary holds up best. Hell, could possibly come down to who gets the ball last with the potential the two offenses have.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

RamFan909 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:11 pm

Our Secondary is kinda limping right now. The best thing we can do is to PRESSURE Stafford (something that's been lacking the first two games). It seems that our defensive front doesn't wake up for the first couple of games.

The key to the Bucs win is the Offensive Line. If Brady can get a "four-count" after the snap he'll go through his progressions quickly.
If Donald can disrupt and hitt Brady, make him move around, he will be forced to dink and dunk.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Just another insane Brady stat

Executus

Post by Executus »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:05 am
However I would like us to win TOP and 3rd down conversion if that's not asking to much. I'd rather not see that as commonplace against us this year.
It is. Have you seen the play of our Rbs? Especially if they are running like Lenny did on 4th down or the way Rojo suddenly got allergic to contact when he stepped out of bounds instead getting an easy 1st down.

How about we control the clock with short passes to the Rbs instead? Ohh wait..

It's going to be up to AB, Godwin and Gronk to catch screens and short passes if we want to win the TOP, but don't count on anything from our Rbs.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Executus wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:51 am
mdb1958 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:05 am
However I would like us to win TOP and 3rd down conversion if that's not asking to much. I'd rather not see that as commonplace against us this year.
It is. Have you seen the play of our Rbs? Especially if they are running like Lenny did on 4th down or the way Rojo suddenly got allergic to contact when he stepped out of bounds instead getting an easy 1st down.

How about we control the clock with short passes to the Rbs instead? Ohh wait..

It's going to be up to AB, Godwin and Gronk to catch screens and short passes if we want to win the TOP, but don't count on anything from our Rbs.
I meant it more by eliminating teams from having to much decision making with long drives. I get that we are working for turnovers in that thought process but allowing and stopping oppose each other.

If teams can be consistent, it's a terrible look for our defense. We score in 2 minutes the other team scores in 6-8 minutes and it makes our offense wait to long.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

We might want to try more hurry up against the Rams. If I remember last season we didn't do much hurry up because we kept losing 1st down. Leftwich also needs to stop being so run heavy on 1st down. Mix in some passes, short passes, screens, something easier to get yards on 1st down. I don't want to see this Oline having to defend that Rams Dline on 2nd/3rd and long.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Chris Garrett might see his first action against us.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I think it’ll be another classic shootout game …. 45-42? Looking forward to Evans vs Ramsey matchup
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Phantom wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:03 am Looking forward to Evans vs Ramsey matchup
Historically Evans has been absolutely shut down by the likes of Ramsey and Lattimore. The one TD catch he had last year where you carried defenders with him, Ramsey was out.

I know Brady avoids matchups like that, so it's unlikely, but I'd love for Evans to have a breakout game against one of these DBs that have plagued him.

Obviously winning is more important, but that would be a great bonus.
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

SmartSelect_20210922-085836_Firefox.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

SmartSelect_20210922-085721_Firefox.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

AJPG wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:12 am SmartSelect_20210922-085721_Firefox.jpg
This is who we need to stop. He went 11/145 last year and broke tackle after tackle. Gotta double him and we have to stop him in his tracks. When he gets going after a catch he's very hard to bring down. Reminds me a lot of Steve Smith.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:36 am We might want to try more hurry up against the Rams. If I remember last season we didn't do much hurry up because we kept losing 1st down. Leftwich also needs to stop being so run heavy on 1st down. Mix in some passes, short passes, screens, something easier to get yards on 1st down. I don't want to see this Oline having to defend that Rams Dline on 2nd/3rd and long.
The Rams run defense defense has been underwhelming so far. I am ok with more first down passing so long as we don't abandon the run. Our success is going to key on being able to deal with Aaron Donald, I'd much rather him spend a lot of energy fighting off run blocks than getting after Brady.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Terry Tate wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:20 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:36 am We might want to try more hurry up against the Rams. If I remember last season we didn't do much hurry up because we kept losing 1st down. Leftwich also needs to stop being so run heavy on 1st down. Mix in some passes, short passes, screens, something easier to get yards on 1st down. I don't want to see this Oline having to defend that Rams Dline on 2nd/3rd and long.
The Rams run defense defense has been underwhelming so far. I am ok with more first down passing so long as we don't abandon the run. Our success is going to key on being able to deal with Aaron Donald, I'd much rather him spend a lot of energy fighting off run blocks than getting after Brady.
Our pass defense has been more underwhelming so far and RB is our second worst position group outside of secondary.

That's why so many predict this will be a high scoring game through the air.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I just got an alert that AB went to the covid list. That’s a big loss as I was expecting a big day from him.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:59 am I just got an alert that AB went to the covid list. That’s a big loss as I was expecting a big day from him.
Damn it! I was expecting that too. In Tyler Johnson we trust I guess?
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers placed WR Antonio Brown on the reserve/COVID-19 list on Wednesday, making it likely he will miss Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Rams.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Brilliant.