The Church of Canales

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Babeinbucland

Re: The Church of Canales

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:51 am
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:16 pm

Especially when you look back and realize that in three of his four years on the job the offense scored a ton of points and won a Super Bowl. Obviously that’s not because of him by any means, but no reason to be this petty about the guy anymore. He rightfully got replaced, let’s just move on.
Correction: Bruce Arians' offenses scored a ton of points and won a Super Bowl. When Arians handed him the keys to the bus, Leftwich promptly drove it off a cliff.

I ain't mad at Leftwich as a human being and would gladly buy him a beer and talk ball, but let's not pretend that last year under his watch wasn't a total offensive shitshow of his own devising.
And with the GOAT at QB no less
I said what I said

Max

Post by Max »

Besides the mess that was last season, he has also been the OC of the second worst offense in NFL history (2018 Cardinals) according to team DVOA.

People are underrating just how bad Leftwich was.

He might be one of the worst, if not the worst OC in NFL history.

He didn't only waste our 2022 season; he was also a significant limiting factor for our 2020 and 2021 offense. In terms of personnel, given how well Brady played in those years, along with Mike and Chris, Gronk (who was still a top-3 TE), and especially AB playing close to his peak and the OL with Wirfs, Marpet, Jensen and Cappa, there's a real case that this was the most talented offense in NFL history.

We ranked 5th in EPA per dropback during that span...
Snake

Post by Snake »

Leftwich was truly awful. No creativity, no taking analytics into consideration, predictable as all hell.

Trash.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'd love to be 30 ppg awful again
Snake

Post by Snake »

all it took was the greatest quarterback of all time, two Hall of Fame receivers, an all pro wide receiver, the best tight end of all time, good offensive line, and a head coach who would scratch up the gameplan the night before with a red marker.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Snake wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:20 pm all it took was the greatest quarterback of all time, two Hall of Fame receivers, an all pro wide receiver, the best tight end of all time, good offensive line, and a head coach who would scratch up the gameplan the night before with a red marker.
The last part may have been the most important piece.
Max

Post by Max »

Snake wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:20 pm all it took was the greatest quarterback of all time, two Hall of Fame receivers, an all pro wide receiver, the best tight end of all time, good offensive line, and a head coach who would scratch up the gameplan the night before with a red marker.
An amoeba could've been the OC of this offense and we still would've scored 30 PPG.

Oh wait that's actually what happened ...

We should have scored 35-40 with all that talent. This was a historic offense, and we didn't even lead the league in either season.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The fact that this has turned into an argument about Leftwich proves my point as to why this “Church of Canales” bullshit is just that. Y’all know it’s bullshit and since others have called it out, the argument has changed to “well what about Leftwich?”. He’s gone thank God and will be at home. Sooooo why so much discussion about him in a Canales thread? We could be talking about why Canales praises should be sung before he’s coached an official game as an NFL OC, but no one knows why. It’s Kyle Trask all over again. People want to crown someone but don’t know why.
Most hated man in America.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

I think they are trying to say that since there were many reports that our play was predictable, and that some players said they knew the play before it was run is the reason they are happy that we have a coach that uses analytics (something Bowles scoffed at), using match ups (again something Leftwich scoffed at is the reason they are praising him. We can't truly praise him, consider it hopium. It's not what he has done, it's the mindset change
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I get he threw 30 ints but we were still 3rd in ppg. But we don't talk about Bruno.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

More than Leftwich, the effectiveness of the OL fell off a cliff. And it’s well known that Arians offence requires elite OL play. We got that elite OL play for two years and we saw what the offence could do. Then Marpet retired, Jensen got injured, and D. Smith returned to his fat lazy self.

Even Gisele said the injuries on the OL are what caused Brady issues last year, you could see that he lost faith in their ability to protect him. Add to that they couldn’t run block either… it was just time to move on from that offence.

And that’s why Canales is a great fit, he requires a lot less from the OL and the QB. He just needs playmakers and he’s going to scheme them the ball.

I’m very excited to watch us this year, we’re gonna be playing a very modern style of offensive football and it’s going to be great fun to watch.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:39 pm More than Leftwich, the effectiveness of the OL fell off a cliff. And it’s well known that Arians offence requires elite OL play. We got that elite OL play for two years and we saw what the offence could do. Then Marpet retired, Jensen got injured, and D. Smith returned to his fat lazy self.

Even Gisele said the injuries on the OL are what caused Brady issues last year, you could see that he lost faith in their ability to protect him. Add to that they couldn’t run block either… it was just time to move on from that offence.

And that’s why Canales is a great fit, he requires a lot less from the OL and the QB. He just needs playmakers and he’s going to scheme them the ball.

I’m very excited to watch us this year, we’re gonna be playing a very modern style of offensive football and it’s going to be great fun to watch.
I'd agree with the above.

While Canales hasn't called a professional game that mattered towards regular season standings, I appreciate the thrust of what his stated goals have been, his energy, and what we've seen of his offense thus far.

Even though it's just the preseason, so presumably Canales isn't using every tool in his bag to score points, it's been refreshing seeing guys schemed open. Leftwich and Arians both required perfection and physically dominating your 1-on-1s to create yards and points, which while nice to see shouldn't be expected on a snap-to-snap basis. You need to build layups into your system, and Arians/Lefty only wanted to bomb contested 3-pointers. That can work if you have Steph Curry, but even if you do he can have a bad night shooting, so you need to hedge your bets by rounding out your schemes and offense to not require generational talent to succeed.

I wouldn't call myself a Church of Canales devotee, but I like what I've heard from his pulpit and look forward to seeing how he will lead the congregation moving forward.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Positive People:
Wow, based on preseason games Canales offense is showing some ability to scheme people open and is less predictable.

Negative People:
He has not called a professional game. Preseason does not count. Teams are running vanilla plays.

The rest of us:
<pause for dramatic effect> vanilla, heh? Wonder what will happen when the team stops being vanilla.
Max

Post by Max »

- Canales is an upgrade over Leftwich (by default)

- Preseason showed some encouraging things, like high usage of play action, motion and the ability to scheme players open and get them into space.

- Preseason also showed some discouraging things, like an above average run rate on early downs.

- Preseason is an eliminator. If you're doing good, it doesn't mean much, if you're doing bad, it does.

Basically, we don't know much more than before. He may be good, he may be not. We'll get an idea when the real thing starts.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

It doesn't matter how bad the offensive line was. If I could sit my ass down and know what Lefty was doing before he ever did it (along with every player on the field) you've lost the plot. It was Dungy ball with the GOAT and the best cast of receivers we've ever had. In Brady's first 2 years we had a few weeks where our offense looked every bit as bad as it did last year and there was no plausible explanation. Then next week we'd look like normal. Then we hear about BA ripping up game plans and it's like "gee I wonder why"

Leftwich was gonna get sacked last year and only survived due to our own incompetence of finding a replacement
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The bar for Canales is Leftwich? 😂😂 This is gonna be hilarious.
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:07 pm The bar for Canales is Leftwich? 😂😂 This is gonna be hilarious.
Eh I have higher expectations. I just want to set the record straight on the "every time something bad happens it's Leftwich's fault. Everytime it's good, it's Brady"

That is almost literally what happened
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:19 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:07 pm The bar for Canales is Leftwich? 😂😂 This is gonna be hilarious.
Eh I have higher expectations. I just want to set the record straight on the "every time something bad happens it's Leftwich's fault. Everytime it's good, it's Brady"

Yea, set the record straight about Leftwich in a thread that's supposedly for "singing the praises" about Canales.

There's more talk about Leftwich than Canales in this thread and I think we all know why.
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:21 pm

Yea, set the record straight about Leftwich in a thread that's supposedly for "singing the praises" about Canales.

There's more talk about Leftwich than Canales in this thread and I think we all know why.
That ought to tell you how bad Leftwich was. We've seen some bad offense in our day. From Greg 0lson doing nonsense like calling a 3 yard Benn'd Around on 3rd and 9 to Byron Leftwich playing the Dungy Ball's Greatest Hits list featuring "Run Run Pass"

We're gonna pile on til Canales gives us a reason to talk about him. For better or worse
These Are The Days

Oh yeah and let's not forget Chucky's 963 syllable play calls for a 3rd down play that has no receivers going beyond 8 yards on a 3rd and 15 because Yatta had to false start
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Because it's far easier to have an opinion on someone who coached your offense for four years than it is for someone who has only coached three (preseason) games?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Sounds like someone trying to throw a cult curse on our OC.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:59 pm

Because it's far easier to have an opinion on someone who coached your offense for four years than it is for someone who has only coached three (preseason) games?
Yea, almost makes you wonder why one would coin a thread "Church of Canales" if the true intentions were for it to be about the last guy, right?

Also proves why it's ridiculous to sing someone's praises after, as you put it, he's only coached three (preseason) games.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:37 pm We're gonna pile on til Canales gives us a reason to talk about him.
And here you have why this thread is premature. Not only is it too early to have an opinion on Canales, but he hasn't even given us a reason to talk about him. Let alone start threads singing his praises.

My work is done.
These Are The Days

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:26 pm

My work is done.

Link? Source?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

These sound bite synopsis of our high flying offense are painful to read. For one, the idea that any offensive philosophy is "out talent your opponent" is just moronic. The list of failed super teams is long. Carson Palmer throwing to John Brown, Michael Floyd, and 32 y/o Fitz was not out talenting people. The use of the word "talent" is an attempt to discredit hard work which could not be further from the truth.

The Arians offense is hard as fuck. It relies on the route runner having multiple options any given play, holding them all in their heads and picking the right one instantly off the line while the QB does the same. It requires incredible chemistry drawn from hours of repetition and practice. However, the flexibility of so many options empowers your offense to repeatedly expose what the defense gives them while keeping a constant eye out for the big hit. When in sync (and not pressured) the offense produces, even with Palmer and Winston. Last year not only were we awfully out of sync in general, when we did read the deep shot right the OL wasn't holding up.

The "we just out talented everyone" is just another ridiculous, oversimplified hater narrative.
Just like "that Bucs team was stacked" is an oversimplified Brady hater narrative.
Just like "it was all the GOAT" is an oversimplified Bucs hater narrative.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I've said it repeatedly here, despite dogmatics that believe their one way is the one true way, there are many many ways to win in the NFL.

I enjoyed the Arians era. It was a lot of fun. Despite all the cries that it was "archaic" and would never work in the modern NFL, it kicked everyone's ass and we put up a hell of a lot of points. Oh and we won a chip. Cool.

That was then. We don't need to win that way every time, in fact, we've moved on and now are going to attempt to win with a different scheme. Also cool. There are many ways to win and I'm excited to hear the preaching of the Church of Canales. It's like the new school ones where they lure you in with catchy rock music. Let's see where this goes.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:21 pm

Yea, almost makes you wonder why one would coin a thread "Church of Canales" if the true intentions were for it to be about the last guy, right?

Also proves why it's ridiculous to sing someone's praises after, as you put it, he's only coached three (preseason) games.
I think you are actually spot on with this. All this Canales hype comes more from a place of frustration and hatred for Leftwich over last season than it does for any kind of love or excitement for Canales. People just gotta get over Byron already.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I have Canales hype and I have no hate for Leftwich.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Take a vote.

Who is doing the fire Canales thread?

Won't be me..
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:57 pm Take a vote.

Won't be me..
Nah, I think he has a longer leash, Especially when every one expects us to be bad.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Central_Buc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:08 pm

Won't be me..
Nah, I think he has a longer leash, Especially when every one expects us to be bad.

Err, thanks - glad you nipped that one in the bud.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Central_Buc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:08 pm

Won't be me..
We’re singing his praises. Why would he need a long leash?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

He doesn't have a leash at all. Anyone thinking Bowles will jettison him mid season is crazy
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:41 am
real bucs fan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:39 pm More than Leftwich, the effectiveness of the OL fell off a cliff. And it’s well known that Arians offence requires elite OL play. We got that elite OL play for two years and we saw what the offence could do. Then Marpet retired, Jensen got injured, and D. Smith returned to his fat lazy self.

I'd agree with the above.

While Canales hasn't called a professional game that mattered towards regular season standings, I appreciate the thrust of what his stated goals have been, his energy, and what we've seen of his offense thus far.

Even though it's just the preseason, so presumably Canales isn't using every tool in his bag to score points, it's been refreshing seeing guys schemed open. Leftwich and Arians both required perfection and physically dominating your 1-on-1s to create yards and points, which while nice to see shouldn't be expected on a snap-to-snap basis. You need to build layups into your system, and Arians/Lefty only wanted to bomb contested 3-pointers. That can work if you have Steph Curry, but even if you do he can have a bad night shooting, so you need to hedge your bets by rounding out your schemes and offense to not require generational talent to succeed.

I wouldn't call myself a Church of Canales devotee, but I like what I've heard from his pulpit and look forward to seeing how he will lead the congregation moving forward.
Ick to the basketball analogies lol
I said what I said