Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

MJW

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:36 am Trading a bunch of picks to acquire Wilson while the rest of the roster falls apart is a waste.
That's pretty much where I'm at.

The "fan" in me would cheer when Russ came on, because I've gotten spoiled by great quarterbacking recently.

But the wannabe GM would cringe. It's just not the right play. I'll take my hits, either with Trask or a low-cost short term veteran type. I'll trust OBP to use our draft capital well. To use our cap savings at QB to re-sign the best of our pups. And to lock in on the next great Bucs quarterback in a couple of years.

That's the play. My big fear is that our elderly coach has no interest in taking Ls in the short term.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

FYI, Spotrac currently has us at $6.8mil in cap room.

Overthecap has us at $3mil.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I don’t quite understand the love affair with Wilson/Watson. Is that only because they’re seemingly who’s “available?” Both of them have their warts AND cost multiple picks/players.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

They’d need a stacked roster and we can’t provide that and pay them.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:18 am I don’t quite understand the love affair with Wilson/Watson. Is that only because they’re seemingly who’s “available?” Both of them have their warts AND cost multiple picks/players.
Watson, ON the field, is one of the very best quarterbacks in the league. And he's got another 8+ years at that level ahead of him. We don't need to talk about OFF the field. We all know. Nobody would argue with anyone who didn't want to touch him (LOL) because of that. We're all on the same page.

Wilson had a bad year, but I really, really think it was a "Tom Brady in 2019" kind of bad year. The dude has been playing for a half-decade behind a crappy line. He's been listening to the same coach his entire career. His OC looked overmatched at times. This is a guy screaming to escape. At 33, he probably only has 2-3 more great years left, but..so?

As for the cost, I agree. That's kind of where I'm at (Bootz also it seems.) But the gap between those two (assuming Rodgers isn't in play) is a Grand Canyon in terms of level of play beyond what else we could end up trotting out there in September.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I'm not seeing this decline in Russell Wilson that people seem to say is going on. He missed a few games with a hand injury. Still threw 25 TDs to just 6 picks. Still completed 65% of his passes. Still finished with a QB rating over 100 for the 4th year in a row.

It certainly didn't start last year when he threw a career high 40 TDs to just 13 picks.

Guy missed games with injury for the 1st time ever. Became the fastest QB to win 100 games. Where is the decline? Is he running less? Yes. But that shouldn't be seen as a bad thing as his running was an early criticism. He's making more plays from the pocket.

He's at that age that QBs really start to take off in their careers because they've seen everything. It shows on the field.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:58 am I'm not seeing this decline in Russell Wilson that people seem to say is going on. He missed a few games with a hand injury. Still threw 25 TDs to just 6 picks. Still completed 65% of his passes. Still finished with a QB rating over 100 for the 4th year in a row.

It certainly didn't start last year when he threw a career high 40 TDs to just 13 picks.

Guy missed games with injury for the 1st time ever. Became the fastest QB to win 100 games. Where is the decline? Is he running less? Yes. But that shouldn't be seen as a bad thing as his running was an early criticism. He's making more plays from the pocket.

He's at that age that QBs really start to take off in their careers because they've seen everything. It shows on the field.
He only threw for 3100 yards and his TDs were down and almost didn't run...so I think people point to that.

I think it's more that he falls off at the end of each year, but really his entire team does. His line is consistently terrible.

Wilson isn't near Brady or Rodgers, but saying he's not on the level of the GOAT and probably the most talented QB ever isn't a huge insult. He'd be an incredible addition. I just don't think it's possible.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:38 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:18 am I don’t quite understand the love affair with Wilson/Watson. Is that only because they’re seemingly who’s “available?” Both of them have their warts AND cost multiple picks/players.
Watson, ON the field, is one of the very best quarterbacks in the league. And he's got another 8+ years at that level ahead of him. We don't need to talk about OFF the field. We all know. Nobody would argue with anyone who didn't want to touch him (LOL) because of that. We're all on the same page.

Wilson had a bad year, but I really, really think it was a "Tom Brady in 2019" kind of bad year. The dude has been playing for a half-decade behind a crappy line. He's been listening to the same coach his entire career. His OC looked overmatched at times. This is a guy screaming to escape. At 33, he probably only has 2-3 more great years left, but..so?

As for the cost, I agree. That's kind of where I'm at (Bootz also it seems.) But the gap between those two (assuming Rodgers isn't in play) is a Grand Canyon in terms of level of play beyond what else we could end up trotting out there in September.
I just feel as an organization we're at a net gain/loss making a move for one of these guys. In other words, I don't imagine our outcomes as a franchise are much different in the next ~3-5 years with Trask/Gabbert or a rookie QB versus trading assets and paying Watson/Wilson. Likely middling either way.

In fact, I think Trask ends up being a good enough facilitator if surrounded with talent that he'd win more games than Watson/Wilson not surrounded with talent.

If the price is Stafford trade+ then that's too high. If you can get Wilson/Watson for two 1sts, a 3rd, and Trask? Ok. It just doesn't seem like these organizations are going to let them go for that.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:12 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:58 am I'm not seeing this decline in Russell Wilson that people seem to say is going on. He missed a few games with a hand injury. Still threw 25 TDs to just 6 picks. Still completed 65% of his passes. Still finished with a QB rating over 100 for the 4th year in a row.

He only threw for 3100 yards and his TDs were down and almost didn't run...so I think people point to that.

I think it's more that he falls off at the end of each year, but really his entire team does. His line is consistently terrible.

Wilson isn't near Brady or Rodgers, but saying he's not on the level of the GOAT and probably the most talented QB ever isn't a huge insult. He'd be an incredible addition. I just don't think it's possible.
Well he did miss nearly a quarter of the year with a hand injury, so you would've expected his numbers to be down.

Falls off at the end of the year? In what way? They won 4 of their last 6 games in 2021. In 2020 they won 5 of their last 6 games and their division. So again, not seeing this decline you're alluding to.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:06 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:12 am

Well he did miss nearly a quarter of the year with a hand injury, so you would've expected his numbers to be down.

Falls off at the end of the year? In what way? They won 4 of their last 6 games in 2021. In 2020 they won 5 of their last 6 games and their division. So again, not seeing this decline you're alluding to.
I didn't allude to anything...I said "people point to that".

Wilson has started out on fire the last 3 seasons and falls off at the end. Everyone was saying he was a lock for MVP and going to set records 2 years ago and then came back down to earth with only 3 multi touchdown games/QBR over 100 in the last 8 games. Same with 2019, from week 10 on he had 1 game with a QB rating over 100 compared to 8 in the first 9 weeks.

I don't think he's fallen off, I said I'd love to have him. It's a valid thing to point out his first half vs. 2nd half of the season results, but he's still a really good QB.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Ugh, half of this thread is wishing or bitching about what is an "ideal" scenario and an "ideal" outcome and use of picks and all that.

Guess what, the NFL isn't ideal. It's sloppy and messy and works in short windows.

Also, I don't think anyone is really pretending Trask as the "top option" as much as "the only QB on the roster".
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:15 am Ugh, half of this thread is wishing or bitching about what is an "ideal" scenario and an "ideal" outcome and use of picks and all that.

Guess what, the NFL isn't ideal. It's sloppy and messy and works in short windows.

Also, I don't think anyone is really pretending Trask as the "top option" as much as "the only QB on the roster".
The thread is mostly because the Bucs have said that they will try to find someone else. Rumors say that we are calling about everyone...but it all could be BS to roll with Trask.

That's the beauty of the offseason.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Imagine landing a Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson type QB and bitching about how to move shapes the selection of the second rounder from two years ago.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:18 am Imagine landing a Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson type QB and bitching about how to move shapes the selection of the second rounder from two years ago.
Isn't it more of an acknowledgement that the selection of Trask cost us an opportunity to draft an impact player at a position of need for the 2021 run when we had a QB? It's certainly clear to me that they could have used the help/depth. It seems incredibly pointless nowadays to draft that position late. The miss rate is enormous.

It's also an indication that this front office had no clear plan for the departure of Tom Brady, which is extremely short sighted. As is giving up on Trask already by trading multiple assets for an expensive QB. Especially if Trask WAS the post-Tom plan.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Trask was just kind of a weird pick. If he can’t beat out Gabbert, he’s likely an out and out bust.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Apparently the Bucs and Vikings "are on Watson's radar" as teams that would be a fit.

First things first, Watson needs to cut a check and get all those allegation behind him before any team will trade for him.

I am curious what the compensation would need to be. I assume atleast two 1st round picks and probably a day 2 pick (or two). I know the Texans are going to want a alot, as well they should. But it seems the bridge is burnt between the Texans and Watson so they know they have to trade him (or pay him to sit on the bench another year while his value decreases).

He's a great player and a winner. But that off field stuff is tough to ignore for some fans I'm sure. IMO as long as we win it will be worth it.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:56 am
Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:18 am Imagine landing a Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson type QB and bitching about how to move shapes the selection of the second rounder from two years ago.
Isn't it more of an acknowledgement that the selection of Trask cost us an opportunity to draft an impact player at a position of need for the 2021 run when we had a QB? It's certainly clear to me that they could have used the help/depth. It seems incredibly pointless nowadays to draft that position late. The miss rate is enormous.

It's also an indication that this front office had no clear plan for the departure of Tom Brady, which is extremely short sighted. As is giving up on Trask already by trading multiple assets for an expensive QB. Especially if Trask WAS the post-Tom plan.
I'm not much of a draft groupie so I don't really think it did. I mean our first rounder played like 9 snaps. And while I get there are always gems in ever draft and it's nice to get one (and we get our fair share), I don't really submit to this "rookie savior" motif that tends to set roots in the minds of fans of perpetually losing teams.

I think draft picks are highly speculative and in large part highly overrated by fans who always swear that pick was going to be the next super star.

I liked the Trask pick because I think it set us up nicely for possibly hitting the holy grail- a rare, successful QB transition- in a couple of years. If we alter the plan halfway through because an opportunity for a Wilson or Watson comes around, I am not mad one bit. Nor am I going to be mad that 2020 Bucs FO didn't factor in trading for an elite QB two years in the future into their second round draft selection at the time. It's toxic idealism.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

MJW wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:34 am
real bucs fan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:05 am Trask is still a guy picked in the 60s who has yet to throw an NFL pass. I’ll take Wilson thanks.
Are you engaging the point or ignoring it? At what price would you rather have Wilson than Trask? Because we'd ALL rather have Wilson than Trask. Duh.
I’m engaging the point. The difference between Trask and Wilson is worth the 30 million and draft picks. That is if we are still trying to compete. And considering the rest of the NFC I think we should.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:20 am Apparently the Bucs and Vikings "are on Watson's radar" as teams that would be a fit.

First things first, Watson needs to cut a check and get all those allegation behind him before any team will trade for him.

I am curious what the compensation would need to be. I assume atleast two 1st round picks and probably a day 2 pick (or two). I know the Texans are going to want a alot, as well they should. But it seems the bridge is burnt between the Texans and Watson so they know they have to trade him (or pay him to sit on the bench another year while his value decreases).

He's a great player and a winner. But that off field stuff is tough to ignore for some fans I'm sure. IMO as long as we win it will be worth it.
I’m a fan of Watson the player, I thought he should have went #1 overall his draft year. I was very bullish on his football ability.

But having another sex crime QB would be downright embarrassing. I’ve got my fingers crossed for Wilson.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I think the Bucs are making a very big mistake by not going with Trask in 2022. The only FA's are guys like Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Winston, Mariotta, Flacco, and Trubisky. I'll gladly take Trask's potential over theirs. Giving up a lot of picks, plus big cap money to guys like Watson, Wilson, or Rodgers will only weaken the team elsewhere. We don't have to rebuild, but we have to upgrade. We have a lot of FA's and Licht's going to have to be creative and/or really good in the draft. Using a lot of draft picks to bring in guys like Rodgers, Wilson, and Watson and increasing the cap hit, doesn't leave much room for filling holes from our free agents.

Play the year out with Trask and see how it goes. Use this years' picks to improve the team and use the cap savings (by not paying big QB money), on bringing some FA's back and in. Next year, Rodgers, Cousins, & Carr could all be free agents. I'd rather spend money or draft capital... but not both, on a QB. If Trask is the guy, great, continue to build around him. If he's not, we'll probably have a good draft pick to possibly replace him in the draft or a FA might be available.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:02 am I think the Bucs are making a very big mistake by not going with Trask in 2022. The only FA's are guys like Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Winston, Mariotta, Flacco, and Trubisky. I'll gladly take Trask's potential over theirs. Giving up a lot of picks, plus big cap money to guys like Watson, Wilson, or Rodgers will only weaken the team elsewhere. We don't have to rebuild, but we have to upgrade. We have a lot of FA's and Licht's going to have to be creative and/or really good in the draft. Using a lot of draft picks to bring in guys like Rodgers, Wilson, and Watson and increasing the cap hit, doesn't leave much room for filling holes from our free agents.

Play the year out with Trask and see how it goes. Use this years' picks to improve the team and use the cap savings (by not paying big QB money), on bringing some FA's back and in. Next year, Rodgers, Cousins, & Carr could all be free agents. I'd rather spend money or draft capital... but not both, on a QB. If Trask is the guy, great, continue to build around him. If he's not, we'll probably have a good draft pick to possibly replace him in the draft or a FA might be available.
If you roll Trask you can still bring in one of those guys you listed to compete with him. Trask/Dalton probably only gets us 6 or 7 wins though.

I think it’s a great time to buy low on Wilson.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:04 am I think it’s a great time to buy low on Wilson.
To buy low he has to be sold low. Unlikely.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The Colts "bought low" on Wentz. It cost them a 1st & a 3rd. Buying low on someone like Russell Wilson, who's actually a talented QB will cost at minimum double the amount of premium picks.
Dread

Post by Dread »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:02 am I think the Bucs are making a very big mistake by not going with Trask in 2022. The only FA's are guys like Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Winston, Mariotta, Flacco, and Trubisky. I'll gladly take Trask's potential over theirs. Giving up a lot of picks, plus big cap money to guys like Watson, Wilson, or Rodgers will only weaken the team elsewhere. We don't have to rebuild, but we have to upgrade. We have a lot of FA's and Licht's going to have to be creative and/or really good in the draft. Using a lot of draft picks to bring in guys like Rodgers, Wilson, and Watson and increasing the cap hit, doesn't leave much room for filling holes from our free agents.

I'd be fine rolling with a camp competition of Trask/Gabbert (or some other cheap vet) and use the money saved on the QB situation to bring back Godwin, Whitehead, and maybe Cappa.

Then reassess after the season when we'll have an answer on whether Trask is the guy or if Gabbert is able to finally resemble the player that warranted his high draft selection.

If both Trask and Gabbert prove to be shitty in 2022 (very possible), then atleast we were able to keep Godwin and Whitehead and would be a very attractive roster to lure a QB in free agency or trade like we did with Brady.

Plus whatever QB wouldn't have to be the guy who follows Brady since that was already done.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

There are many things I'd be willing to count on. Blaine Gabbert living up to his draft status is not one of them. He never should've even been drafted as high as he was.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:04 am I think it’s a great time to buy low on Wilson.
I agree. I think trading a 7th round pick for Wilson would be fantastic.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:00 am Trask was just kind of a weird pick. If he can’t beat out Gabbert, he’s likely an out and out bust.
The 2021 special teams draft was weird.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:20 am Apparently the Bucs and Vikings "are on Watson's radar" as teams that would be a fit.

You are probably right about most of this. However, the attitude behind the bolded last sentence has to be one to be corrected. As long as folks are let off the hook for their actions, so long as "we win" society as a whole will continue to suffer. Accountability used to be worth something, and it should be again.
Push the damned button already!
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:52 am

I'd be fine rolling with a camp competition of Trask/Gabbert (or some other cheap vet) and use the money saved on the QB situation to bring back Godwin, Whitehead, and maybe Cappa.

Then reassess after the season when we'll have an answer on whether Trask is the guy or if Gabbert is able to finally resemble the player that warranted his high draft selection.

If both Trask and Gabbert prove to be shitty in 2022 (very possible), then atleast we were able to keep Godwin and Whitehead and would be a very attractive roster to lure a QB in free agency or trade like we did with Brady.

Plus whatever QB wouldn't have to be the guy who follows Brady since that was already done.
The only chance I see a Trask/Gabbert combo is if the Bucs fail to acquire an established starter. IOW they are going to try as hard as possible to bring in a "name" guy who will be perceived to be better...hopefully much better....than the duo of Trask/Gabbert.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Four Verticals wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:46 pm

The only chance I see a Trask/Gabbert combo is if the Bucs fail to acquire an established starter. IOW they are going to try as hard as possible to bring in a "name" guy who will be perceived to be better...hopefully much better....than the duo of Trask/Gabbert.
I agree. I don't believe Trask/Gabbert (or whatever vet QB) is option A for Licht/BA this offseason.

I just don't think Rodgers or Wilson are going anywhere and certainly not to NFC teams considering the Bucs play both Seattle and Green Bay in 2022.

Watson is possible, if the reports are true then he is open to coming to Tampa (Watson has a no trade clause so he has to approve any potential destination) and preferably the Texans would like to trade him out of the AFC. So it becomes a matter of him resolving his civil litigation issues and agreeing to compensation with the Texans.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

It is a fail - if they do try to buy a quarterback.
Dread

Post by Dread »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:54 pm

Trask > Watson is quite the hot take. :lol:
Snake

Post by Snake »

Unless you get lucky, you’re going to pay one way or the other. Blow a few first round draft picks on busts over the course of 10 years. Or pay the same cost for a sure commodity. You don’t get the rookie QB contract, but at least you don’t waste the fans time for 10 years.

I’m sure the Browns would’ve liked to trade the number one pick that was used for Mayfield (and more) for an established elite quarterback.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:14 pm

Trask > Watson is quite the hot take. :lol:
Who’s saying that?

Trask at $800k very much could be better than Watson at $40M + draft picks + baggage though.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Buccameers and Vikings in Watson radar?
Texans’ QB Deshaun Watson has begun evaluating potential trade destinations with the Buccaneers and Vikings being on his radar, per @jfowlerespn.

Watson, 26, did not play this season amid the 22 civil lawsuits filed by women accusing him of sexual assault or sexual misconduct during massage sessions.

Texans’ new HC Lovie Smith hopes to resolve Watson’s situation early this offseason.

“As soon as possible. I’m not running away from the question, but as soon as possible. There are things that need to be taken care of before the football part comes into play. We’re patient, we’ve waited an entire year and I just feel like this offseason, it’ll come to an end and we’ll get it solved and it’ll be good for both parties, whatever that might be. There’s no other answer to give right now except for that one, and we’re going to try to get it resolved as soon as we possibly can. But we don’t play tomorrow. We have a little bit of time, and we’ll get it done.”

A trade isn’t likely to occur until Watson’s civil lawsuits are resolved.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/desh ... eport/amp/
Last edited by Phantom on Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.