2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: 2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:28 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:22 pm

So what's your position exactly? That Trask is a lock to follow in Purdy's footsteps?
No. That is not my position.

You used Purdy as an example to ridicule people who wanted to tank for a top 5 pick to get a QB. I simply extended the logic Trask could end up surprising people if he gets a chance to play. Basically, you have to let a player get time with the 1s against other 1s to know if you really have a player or just another guy.

I have no idea was Trask is. Neither do you. No one thought Purdy was going to be a starter in year one with the 49ers. No one. Players sometimes exceed expectations. Some times, like Jameis Winston, they never live up to them. You have to give them the opportunity to determine that.
"I have no idea......." is exactly why the comparison falls well short. Unless your position is that Trask will follow in Purdy's footsteps, which of course it won't be, whatever point you're trying to make can't be made. You no doubt no this, you're simply following in the footsteps of this seasons adopted narrative of "we don't know what he can do so let's find out".
Most hated man in America.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:34 pm

You used Purdy as an example to ridicule people who wanted to tank for a top 5 pick to get a QB. I simply extended the logic Trask could end up surprising people if he gets a chance to play. Basically, you have to let a player get time with the 1s against other 1s to know if you really have a player or just another guy.

I have no idea was Trask is. Neither do you. No one thought Purdy was going to be a starter in year one with the 49ers. No one. Players sometimes exceed expectations. Some times, like Jameis Winston, they never live up to them. You have to give them the opportunity to determine that.
"I have no idea......." is exactly why the comparison falls well short. Unless your position is that Trask will follow in Purdy's footsteps, which of course it won't be, whatever point you're trying to make can't be made. You no doubt no this, you're simply following in the footsteps of this seasons adopted narrative of "we don't know what he can do so let's find out".
So, what was your response when someone mentioned Purdy about?
Bootz wrote: Makes you wonder why people are so eager to tank for top draft picks at QB doesn't it?
I guess you are just too fucking stupid to figure out what I am saying. Or you are just a dick trolling the board and you will obfuscate again. Pick one. Dick or stupid.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:38 pm

Bootz wrote: Makes you wonder why people are so eager to tank for top draft picks at QB doesn't it?
I guess you are just too fucking stupid to figure out what I am saying. Or you are just a dick trolling the board and you will obfuscate again. Pick one. Dick or stupid.
I mean...he used "no" when he should have used "know"...
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:55 pm

I mean...he used "no" when he should have used "know"...
True. True. One point for stupid being the correct evaluation.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

You can't even figure out what you're saying. You don't know if Kyle Trask will be Brock Purdy but because of Brock Purdy Trask deserves to play and will be great?

I don't need to ask which one you are. You prove it daily.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:27 pm You can't even figure out what you're saying. You don't know if Kyle Trask will be Brock Purdy but because of Brock Purdy Trask deserves to play and will be great?
I was applying your logic to Kyle Trask. YOUR LOGIC. As soon as that was done you decided to make it about MY FEELINGS about Kyle Trask.

Yep. The board knows who the dumb ass is. The verdict is YOU.

I heard there was a new Dumb and Dumber movie coming out. The title is Dumb and Bootz.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:53 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:27 pm You can't even figure out what you're saying. You don't know if Kyle Trask will be Brock Purdy but because of Brock Purdy Trask deserves to play and will be great?
I was applying your logic to Kyle Trask. YOUR LOGIC. As soon as that was done you decided to make it about MY FEELINGS about Kyle Trask.

I heard there was a new Dumb and Dumber movie coming out. The title is Dumb and Bootz.
That analogy didn't apply to Trask, kiddo. We know what Purdy can do. Trask not so much.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:30 pm
13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:20 pm

I think if the Buccaneers lose this weekend Bowles is fired. I think if they get blown out badly (like last year) Bowles is fired. I think if they lose, but look competitive that there is a 50/50 chance Bowles is fired.

Again, this is the same ownership that fired Tony Dungy and John Gruden. They want Super Bowl trophies. Not division ball caps.
I do feel like the context of and expectations for the season matter some. Nobody gave us a chance in Hell to compete this season. Winning the division with $80M in dead cap and a cast off QB while potentially having a better record than Brady last year has to carry some weight. I'd also like to see what we can do with another year in Canales' offense. I feel like he has been a solid hire when you consider the limitations of the pitch Licht/Bowles were able to give candidates.

Bowles' issue is the expectations have somewhat changed now that the division is in our grasp. Such a poor showing against the Saints followed up by a loss in Carolina would be a nail in the coffin.

But, you have to wonder if he'd have received a mulligan for this season if we'd just gone 5-12 or something?
Everyone will look at it differently. One may say "Hey we won the division." Another may say, "Out of 4 really bad teams, we just happened to finish with the better record."

I'm just of the opinion that Todd Bowles is not a good head coach. He was awful in New York. We definitely underachieved last year, finishing 8-9 with a roster not much different from our Super Bowl team. This year has been up and down. There have been good moments and bad. We've beaten one team with a winning record. I guess you have to ask yourself is whether this team is really progressing? I don't want to keep the same head coach when he took over a Super Bowl winning team and it seems like every year we've gotten worse or flatlined. I want to see improvement. I don't feel like this team is any better this year than last year.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:59 pm

That analogy didn't apply to Trask, kiddo. We know what Purdy can do. Trask not so much.
So why do you think Trask is terrible when you, yourself, are saying, "we don't know what he can do?"
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:17 pm

So why do you think Trask is terrible when you, yourself, are saying, "we don't know what he can do?"
We've been through this tike and time and you won't let it go. So here we go again.

Trask can't do what Purdy can do. Trask can't even do what Baker can do. If he could, he'd be the starting QB right now OR would've at least gone into 2023 as starting QB. The Bucs know what he can and can't do as do the 49ers with Purdy. That's why when the offseason hit, the 49ers dedicated everything into getting Purdy healthy for the year and shipped the guy who was supposed to be their QB, Trey Lance, off to Dallas. Meanwhile, with Trask as the ONLY QB under contract the Bucs didn't opt to sign a guy felt would be a quality backup. No they got a guy they thought could and should start for them.

You see the people who hate Baker Mayfield need to realize that bashing him only makes Trask look worse. It means he can't beat out a guy many feel suck and shouldn't be on this team. And you wanna see his backup? Why because you are confident that he's a star? A diamond in the rough? No, it's because you're the kid who gets to pick 1 of the 2 surprises and when you get #1 you're still anxious to see what's behind door #2. Grow up, kiddo. It ain't happening with Trask. You've been banging your head on this door for far too long. MOVE ON.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:33 pm

We've been through this tike and time and you won't let it go. So here we go again.

Trask can't do what Purdy can do. Trask can't even do what Baker can do. If he could, he'd be the starting QB right now OR would've at least gone into 2023 as starting QB. The Bucs know what he can and can't do as do the 49ers with Purdy. That's why when the offseason hit, the 49ers dedicated everything into getting Purdy healthy for the year and shipped the guy who was supposed to be their QB, Trey Lance, off to Dallas. Meanwhile, with Trask as the ONLY QB under contract the Bucs didn't opt to sign a guy felt would be a quality backup. No they got a guy they thought could and should start for them.

You see the people who hate Baker Mayfield need to realize that bashing him only makes Trask look worse. It means he can't beat out a guy many feel suck and shouldn't be on this team. And you wanna see his backup? Why because you are confident that he's a star? A diamond in the rough? No, it's because you're the kid who gets to pick 1 of the 2 surprises and when you get #1 you're still anxious to see what's behind door #2. Grow up, kiddo. It ain't happening with Trask. You've been banging your head on this door for far too long. MOVE ON.
Proof? Link?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:22 pm

So what's your position exactly? That Trask is a lock to follow in Purdy's footsteps?

I'd bet that most of us knew exactly what you were saying before you posted this. Hell, I'd bet Bootz knew what you were saying, too. He just likes to argue. It's his schtick and he's sticking to it.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:50 pm

Proof? Link?
https://www.nfl.com/news/buccaneers-nam ... 023-season
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Then why did you bring up Purdy is regards to a draft pick? The only reason YOU could have had was that you were trying to make a POINT that you don't have to draft a QB high to get a good one. THAT is related to the DRAFT and UNKNOWN results from drafting a QB.

My POINT was that SAME logic applies to Trask. Until the kid PLAYS we have NO idea how he will do.

YOU CAN'T have it both ways Shirley. That is what you are trying to do. Again, you are EITHER stupid (my bet) or a dick (my bet). Yep, I think you are both STUPID and a DICK.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:05 pm

Proof? Link?
But Purdy wasn't named the starting QB before last season, and he was a 7th rounder, so he must be trash, amirite?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:05 pm

Proof? Link?
Nothing in that article answered the question. It is one thing to not have a unique thought of your own, but it is another to not even be able to support your position with a link.

Just ADMIT you got caught with your pants around your ankles and the ENTIRE board got to see you for the dickless wonder you are.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:09 pm
But Purdy wasn't named the starting QB before last season, and he was a 7th rounder, so he must be trash, amirite?
He was THIRD string to start the season, if my memory serves.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:09 pm
He was a rookie. Sat behind a new starter and the incumbent. Both got hurt and he took off.

What does that have to do with Kyle Trask?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:09 pm
Nothing in that article answered the question. It is one thing to not have a unique thought of your own, but it is another to not even be able to support your position with a link.

Just ADMIT you got caught with your pants around your ankles and the ENTIRE board got to see you for the dickless wonder you are.
Sure. We'll do that when you prove that Trask is as good as Purdy.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

This is a silly take on multiple levels. The 9ers got to see Purdy play for half of the season and then win TWO playoff games and get injured in the 3rd. Comparing 49ers commitment to Purdy to lack of commitment to Trask by Bucs is idiotic, because Trask has never played any meaningful football to deserve that kind of commitment.

Also there are many logical reasons why a seasoned veteran like Mayfield would be preferred over Trask, especially during a season where the head coach could get fired.

You act as if safe choices like that never turned out to be wrong choices, because anything the coaches do is always right? What kind of idiocy is this?

Baker himself should have started over Tyrod Taylor as a rookie, but Hue was obviously going for job security. Herbert should have started over Tyrod Taylor from game 1. Same reason why he didn't start. Same with Tannehill over Levis. Fitzpatrick over Tua. Leftwich over Freeman, etc etc.

Sometimes those decisions turn out to be the right decisions and sometimes not. Drawing conclusions about a player's ability by using that as your sole logic is simple minded.

Btw my post is not to suggest we should play Trask over this year or next year. Baker is clearly the devil we know and I think he's proven himself worthy of another year at the very least. You are however an illogical and irrational hater of Trask for reasons unknown.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Shanahan and the 49ers got lucky. Purdy would have never seen the field if not for injuries.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:25 pm Shanahan and the 49ers got lucky. Purdy would have never seen the field if not for injuries.
THANK YOU!

Which is why it's foolish to try use 1 teams luck as a blueprint for what another another team should do in terms of their backup QB.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Trask can't even do what Baker can do. If he could, he'd be the starting QB right now
The minute Bowles brought Baker in, Trask’s chances of starting went down to about 0.001%, no matter how good he looked preseason. Bowles wanted Baker. I remember everyone on here and in the media agreeing that Trask had no shot to start minus a Baker injury. Bowles was sailing the ship with Baker, and if the ship sank, he was going down with him. The ship may still sink—we’ll know that answer in a few weeks time.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:52 pm

Trask can't even do what Baker can do. If he could, he'd be the starting QB right now
The minute Bowles brought Baker in, Trask’s chances of starting went down to about 0.001%, no matter how good he looked preseason. Bowles wanted Baker. I remember everyone on here and in the media agreeing that Trask had no shot to start minus a Baker injury. Bowles was sailing the ship with Baker, and if the ship sank, he was going down with him. The ship may still sink—we’ll know that answer in a few weeks time.
It's not as if Bowles is some stranger to Trask and what he can do. They've been together since 2021 now. Bowles had a first hand look at Kyle Trask on the practice field for multiple OTAs, mini camps, training camps, preseason games and practices. When Bowles succeeded Arians, that should've given Trask a leg up in potential future QB competitions after life with Brady was over.

It did not. Not even close. Bowles had a 2+ year look at the guy and said no thank you. Jason Licht, who drafted him, backed Bowles and went out and got someone else. The Glazers said "you guys wanna look elsewhere, fine by us" and signed off on it.

People selfishly wanna make a determination for themselves as to whether or not he can play. But the people making millions to make these decisions said they don't feel he can do it well enough and looked elsewhere.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:03 pm
Navybuc wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:52 pm

It's not as if Bowles is some stranger to Trask and what he can do. They've been together since 2021 now. Bowles had a first hand look at Kyle Trask on the practice field for multiple OTAs, mini camps, training camps, preseason games and practices. When Bowles succeeded Arians, that should've given Trask a leg up in potential future QB competitions after life with Brady was over.

It did not. Not even close. Bowles had a 2+ year look at the guy and said no thank you. Jason Licht, who drafted him, backed Bowles and went out and got someone else. The Glazers said "you guys wanna look elsewhere, fine by us" and signed off on it.

People selfishly wanna make a determination for themselves as to whether or not he can play. But the people making millions to make these decisions said they don't feel he can do it well enough and looked elsewhere.
Well, Bowles drafted Sam Darnold in the first round. I remember him hyping Darnold up like he was the next Joe Namath. His evaluation of talent annd record as a HC isn’t exactly something he can brag about.

I agree that I don’t think Trask showed much which is why they went the direction they did. I’m not saying grabbing Baker was the wrong move. Just saying that Trask had no chance to start the minute Baker came in.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:12 pm

Well, Bowles drafted Sam Darnold in the first round. I remember him hyping Darnold up like he was the next Joe Namath. His evaluation of talent annd record as a HC isn’t exactly something he can brag about.

I agree that I don’t think Trask showed much which is why they went the direction they did. I’m not saying grabbing Baker was the wrong move. Just saying that Trask had no chance to start the minute Baker came in.
I think both are true can be and are true. A 2nd round pick in most cases you aren't bringing in competition or putting them 3rd on the depth chart behind a long failed journeyman.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Actually, he wanted Mayfield, but he went first overall, so he had no choice but to trade up for Darnold.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:08 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:30 pm

I do feel like the context of and expectations for the season matter some. Nobody gave us a chance in Hell to compete this season. Winning the division with $80M in dead cap and a cast off QB while potentially having a better record than Brady last year has to carry some weight. I'd also like to see what we can do with another year in Canales' offense. I feel like he has been a solid hire when you consider the limitations of the pitch Licht/Bowles were able to give candidates.

Bowles' issue is the expectations have somewhat changed now that the division is in our grasp. Such a poor showing against the Saints followed up by a loss in Carolina would be a nail in the coffin.

But, you have to wonder if he'd have received a mulligan for this season if we'd just gone 5-12 or something?
Everyone will look at it differently. One may say "Hey we won the division." Another may say, "Out of 4 really bad teams, we just happened to finish with the better record."

I'm just of the opinion that Todd Bowles is not a good head coach. He was awful in New York. We definitely underachieved last year, finishing 8-9 with a roster not much different from our Super Bowl team. This year has been up and down. There have been good moments and bad. We've beaten one team with a winning record. I guess you have to ask yourself is whether this team is really progressing? I don't want to keep the same head coach when he took over a Super Bowl winning team and it seems like every year we've gotten worse or flatlined. I want to see improvement. I don't feel like this team is any better this year than last year.
So you discount we had a bad iOL last year with a Brady that seemed not to want to be here and now an atrocious interior line again this year. Based upon our GM this year trying to be cute and repeat putting a small school tackle at RG again this time from LT and not hedging bets that Jensen may never play again. A first time head coach making bad call sequencing, but it's all Bowles fault. He always said he don't make the calls on offense, and we hired him knowing that. Complaining about that should be the blame of the GM and owners for not telling him after last year to be involved in the offense
Last edited by kaimaru on Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:18 pm

Actually, he wanted Mayfield, but he went first overall, so he had no choice but to trade up for Darnold.
Yep that is true. The Jets tried desperately to get to 1 to get Baker.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

He didn't draft Darnold. How do you even know he was in the say? We read all the times the owners ultimately decide, and if the GMs job is on the line picking a franchise QB, he sure isn't taking Bowles advice who literally tells media that he has nothing to do with the offense. Maybe his OC had input, but not Bowles.

As for having a shot, he did, the two Joes said that Trask would have to clearly be better. At OTAs he clearly wasn't. Training camp he improved, but after the first preseason game, they felt Mayfield was the clear winner hence why he skipped game two. He had a shot, he blew it
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Let us not forget that Trask was not Bowles choice. That was a Arians choice. I think we know which coach has a better track record when it comes to QB talent.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Lets also not forget that being a QB talent evaluator is actually NOT part of the HC job.

And while many HC's opinions do have varying degrees of influence and weight on their organizations, at no point would any GM ever concede the actual decision making to a HC, let alone a defensive one, nor would a good HC want them too.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:34 am Lets also not forget that being a QB talent evaluator is actually NOT part of the HC job.

And while many HC's opinions do have varying degrees of influence and weight on their organizations, at no point would any GM ever concede the actual decision making to a HC, let alone a defensive one, nor would a good HC want them too.
To be clear I was not worried about who made the decision to draft him, but who had input into the decision and then had the power to decide who to start him.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank is reportedly "torn" over firing head coach Arthur Smith, as he considers himself to be a "fan" of Smith.

Via NFL insider Adam Schefter.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Phantom wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:18 pm
Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank is reportedly "torn" over firing head coach Arthur Smith, as he considers himself to be a "fan" of Smith.

Via NFL insider Adam Schefter.
Understandable. The Falcons could be better, but they could be far worse, too. I am no expert on the Falcons, but they seem like a decent team. Building from the outside in offensively, I'd argue, which ain't too smart but whatever.

It'll be interesting if they fire him.