2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Babeinbucland

Re: 2024 NFL Coaching Hire Tracker

Post by Babeinbucland »

Backside wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:58 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:37 pm

Way to move the goalposts.

Blacks have their demographically appropriate number of head coaches now, so any more complaining about this non-issue is just grifting and nothing more.
The goalposts were never established dumbass.

You just decided to spit off on some racist drivel randomly because an NFL team hired a black head coach.
Excellently stated
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Ugh
Down to Canales and Raheem Morris?

https://heavy.com/sports/tampa-bay-bucc ... rs-gm-job/
I said what I said

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

So, I’ll say it. If it’s a matter of losing Canales or Bowles I know who I’d want to keep.

I’d like to think Canales is too smart to take the Carolina job, however, I also realize it’s life changing money and there are only 32 such jobs in the world. In his case you know he’ll get another opportunity down the line if he were to stay.

Surprised Carolina isn’t considering promoting their DC.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Bobby Slowik
Ejiro Evero
Raheem Morris
Dan Quinn
Ben Johnson
Mike McDonald
Brian Callahan (Supposedly was hired by Tennessee)
Brian Johnson

These are all of the guys, including Dave Canales who are interviewing with Carolina for a 2nd time.

I'd say there's about a 10% chance Canales is picked out of this field. And if he is, we can certainly find an OC that can coordinate something better than the 20th ranked offense.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:48 am Ejiro Evero
Raheem Morris
Dan Quinn
Ben Johnson
Mike McDonald
Brian Johnson

These are all of the guys, including Dave Canales who are interviewing with Carolina for a 2nd time.

I'd say there's about a 10% chance Canales is picked out of this field. And if he is, we can certainly find an OC that can coordinate something better than the 20th ranked offense.
I don’t know how to flesh out all the stats, but Baker and the offense in general seemed to get quite a bit more efficient later on in the year. Especially in the run game.

I think some of us are just concerned at losing that continuity and momentum heading into next season. As well as what it could mean for a couple of important offensive free agents.

It feels like we’re building something.

But, I get it. Mike and Baker have played in plenty of offenses. They’d be “fine.”
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:52 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:48 am Ejiro Evero
Raheem Morris
Dan Quinn
Ben Johnson
Mike McDonald
Brian Johnson

I don’t know how to flesh out all the stats, but Baker and the offense in general seemed to get quite a bit more efficient later on in the year. Especially in the run game.

I think some of us are just concerned at losing that continuity and momentum heading into next season. As well as what it could mean for a couple of important offensive free agents.

But, I get it. Mike and Baker have played in plenty of offenses. They’d be “fine.”
Of the 4 teams left in the playoffs, 2 have new OCs and both are playing in the AFC Championship game. Why? Because these are grown professionals who don't use that as an excuse.

Continuity in a fluid business like the NFL is a luxury. If there's a change, you better change with it because crying about it isn't gonna matter. Guys wanna move on? Replace them. All of those "concerns" sound like a doorway to making excuses.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:26 pm Canales is one of about 8-9 coaches who has received a 2nd interview. And this is the only team that has interviewed him.

On this I'm worried about, that's not one of them. The Panthers don't have a real direction as it pertains to their coaching search.
Don't worry Bootz, we don't need Canales, we can just go hire Johnson. We don't even need to ask for permission.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/393 ... es-confirm
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:50 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:26 pm Canales is one of about 8-9 coaches who has received a 2nd interview. And this is the only team that has interviewed him.

On this I'm worried about, that's not one of them. The Panthers don't have a real direction as it pertains to their coaching search.
Don't worry Bootz, we don't need Canales, we can just go hire Johnson. We don't even need to ask for permission.
No thanks. Didn't want him last year, certainly don't want him this year after an inconsistent showing by the Eagles offense. If we do have to replace Canales, we should do go the veteran OC route.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Jim Harbaugh and the Los Angeles Chargers are getting closer to a decision that is likely going to come down to contract terms and control.

The Atlanta Falcons and the Michigan Wolverines are still considered to be options for Harbaugh.

Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I would say it’s better than 10% chance Canales gets the Panthers job. Him and Morgan know each other from Seattle and the “young head coach” seems to be the new NFL trend.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2024/ ... rs-hc-job/
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Durr, Navy we were aware of that a few days ago.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:04 am I would say it’s better than 10% chance Canales gets the Panthers job. Him and Morgan know each other from Seattle and the “young head coach” seems to be the new NFL trend.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2024/ ... rs-hc-job/
Young HCs are not a new trend. Teams have hired coaches significantly younger than Canales for decades. He'll will be 43 when the season starts. That's hardly young by NFL standards.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:58 am
CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:50 am

No thanks. Didn't want him last year, certainly don't want him this year after an inconsistent showing by the Eagles offense. If we do have to replace Canales, we should do go the veteran OC route.
Oh, ok. Just weird since you were defending him last week when I said he was going to lose his job because the offense regressed. Your statements lead me to believe you thought he was doing a great job, I believe you said something to the effect that his offense was better than 75% of the league. I mean, that's better than what our offense was.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:16 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:58 am

Oh, ok. Just weird since you were defending him last week when I said he was going to lose his job because the offense regressed. Your statements lead me to believe you thought he was doing a great job, I believe you said something to the effect that his offense was better than 75% of the league. I mean, that's better than what our offense was.
I said it was weird to say the #7 offense was underachieving. Inconsistent, absolutely. But let's not pretending like they were the worst offense in football.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:30 am
CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:16 am

I said it was weird to say the #7 offense was underachieving. Inconsistent, absolutely. But let's not pretending like they were the worst offense in football.
LOL, that's funny.

I specifically said the team regressed not so much from year to year, but within the year. I never said, at any point, that they were the worst offense in football. Nor did I even intimate it.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:56 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:52 am

Of the 4 teams left in the playoffs, 2 have new OCs and both are playing in the AFC Championship game. Why? Because these are grown professionals who don't use that as an excuse.

Continuity in a fluid business like the NFL is a luxury. If there's a change, you better change with it because crying about it isn't gonna matter. Guys wanna move on? Replace them. All of those "concerns" sound like a doorway to making excuses.
Nobody is crying. I think it's pretty obvious that it would be a positive thing for the Bucs offense to keep Canales though.

And saying there are two new OC's in the Championship round is disingenuous at best. Why do you do stuff like that? Matt Nagy has a title, but we know who the Chiefs offensive coordinator is. Come on man.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Maybe the Panthers are holding off on making a decision until Ben Johnson is available, since the Lions have a game this Sunday.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:53 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:56 am

Nobody is crying. I think it's pretty obvious that it would be a positive thing for the Bucs offense to keep Canales though.

And saying there are two new OC's in the Championship round is disingenuous at best. Why do you do stuff like that? Matt Nagy has a title, but we know who the Chiefs offensive coordinator is. Come on man.
Fine then. The odds on favorite to win the Superbowl has a new OC.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:54 am Maybe the Panthers are holding off on making a decision until Ben Johnson is available, since the Lions have a game this Sunday.
Or Mike McDonald....
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:38 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:30 am

LOL, that's funny.

I specifically said the team regressed not so much from year to year, but within the year. I never said, at any point, that they were the worst offense in football. Nor did I even intimate it.
1-6 to 6-1, clear regression. LOL indeed.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:25 am
CannonFire wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:38 am

LOL, that's funny.

1-6 to 6-1, clear regression. LOL indeed.
We're talking about the Eagles offense. Who/what are you talking about?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Add Mike Vrabel to that Panthers grocery list.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

IMO Mike Vrabel is a good fit in Atlanta.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I'm surprised no team is interested in Todd Monken for the head coach job. What he did at Georgia and Baltimore is incredible.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:25 pm I'm surprised no team is interested in Todd Monken for the head coach job. What he did at Georgia and Baltimore is incredible.
He interviewed with LA and Carolina
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:44 pm
Phantom wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:25 pm I'm surprised no team is interested in Todd Monken for the head coach job. What he did at Georgia and Baltimore is incredible.
He interviewed with LA and Carolina
Ah okay, I would take him in a heartbeat.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

He's back. I give it 2 years tops

Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm He's back. I give it 2 years tops

Until he has them in the Super Bowl? I can easily see that. I’ll say within 3 seasons he has them in the Super Bowl.

► Show Spoiler
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

A good situation for him to take over. The guy’s won everywhere he’s gone so I expect him to have the Chargers in the hunt sooner rather than later to win the AFC.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

He's got a ton of work to do. The cupboard isn't as full as it was when he went to San Francisco in 2011 and inherited an all-star roster and a favorable cap situation. He'll need to change the mentality of the Chargers. Harbaugh's teams are always physical and tough.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Congratulations Justin Herbert.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:15 pm Congratulations Justin Herbert.
He benefits most from Harbaugh being in town. If he doesn't have success with him, fans will call for Herbert to go before they do Harbaugh.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Monken 3 years as our OC 19th, 18th, and 12th in points scored. Canales was 20th this year. Monken in his year in Cleveland 21st. College doesn't translate to pros. I would say his success in Baltimore is more due to Lamar being healthy for 16 games and the drafting of Zay Flowers than anything Monken did. If anything he just stopped trying to force Lamar to be a pocket passer
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm He's back. I give it 2 years tops

I assume you mean before he gets antsy for a new college gig. The think is that he and Balke didn't see eye to eye in San Francisco. Not so sure he wouldn't have stayed longer if they did. Then again, he drinks milk with steak so who knows. I am sure he will have a gallon minimum requirement per day for his players. I am sure he already called the nutritionist :lol: