Brady is retiring. Long live the Buccaneers

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
nybf

Re: Brady is retiring. Long live the Buccaneers

Post by nybf »

Damn we're already at the slapstick crime drama / reality TV crossover episode? Time flies.
Last edited by nybf on Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Kress wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:23 pm There's a rumor floating around that he had already contracted to be on The Masked Singer, so he's out in Hollywood taping that. That's why the Bucs can't say where he is, because they've all signed nondisclosure contracts.

And you thought this board was nuts.
Background: From what i understand about the Masked Singer (I haven't actually watched it so could be very off on any of the details), the contestants' identities remain a secret throughout the entire show, so Brady couldn't just say "im going on the Masked Singer" without ruining the big reveal. This could explain why the reports of Brady taking a leave of absence were so vague and the only reports were that it was to "deal with personal things." I'm sure Brady and any other possible contestants would have been required to sign an NDA to be on the show. It was also explained in those reports that the absence was known about and approved in advance by the team, which would also make sense. A casting/filming deal with a TV studio would have to be set up months in advance to align schedules, set the cast, etc. Brady could have agreed to be on the show back when he was briefly retired and then still had it as an obligation to be fulfilled upon rejoining the team. The leave of absence could have been a condition to him coming back. All of this is clearly speculation, but i started to really believe this was the reason for his leave of absence. So i decided to do some research.

Interesting factoid #1: In May 2022, Brady signed a 10 year, $375 million deal with Fox Sports to be their main NFL analyst once he retires. What channel does the Masked Singer air on? You guessed it, it airs on FOX. The same channel Brady will be calling NFL games on once he retires. If this wasn't enough, a little google search let me know that Joe Buck appeared on the Masked Singer in Season 7 while he was the main NFL Color Commentator for Fox Sports. So the precedent is there.

2 - the smoking gun: Next i decided to google Masked Singer filming dates and came across a nifty little site where you can sign up sit in the audience for the filming of The Masked Singer. Lo and behold, right on the main page it shows that there is a filming session supposed to occur on August 20. That is the exact same date as the Bucs-Titans preseason game, you know, the one which Brady said he would definitely be out through. What a coincidence! The next thing i found almost blew the rails off this whole theory. On the same site mentioned above, you can see any of the previous filming dates. Those dates were July 24-29, August 2-9, and August 12-20. Well dern, the Bucs started training camp on July 27 and Brady was in attendance until August 10, so doesn't seem likely that he was filming for the Masked Singer. That is until i did some more research and learned another interesting fact. Not all contestants are on every episode. Wikipedia let me know that in Season 7 (the most recent season) there were 15 contestants on the show. 5 appeared in the first three episodes, a different 5 appeared on the next three episodes, and the final five appeared on the next three episodes. The winner from each group moved on to a final round/episode. So it could be very likely that the July 24-29 and August 2-9 filming dates consisted of the first 10 contestants, and the August 12-20 filming sessions consisted of the final 5, which Brady could be apart of. Lets see how those last filming dates line up with Brady's leave of absence. From the initial report, Brady missed practice on Thursday, August 11 and will be out until at least Saturday, August 20 (the bucs titans preseason game). The August 12-20 filming dates just so happen to fit perfectly into that leave of absence. Just a crazy coincidence im sure! One last comment that further fits my theory: the report today was that Bowles has "no definitive date" for Brady's return other than that it would be after the Titans game. If Brady advanced out of his theoretical group of 5 contestants, he would need to film one more episode for the finale - but there's no way to know up front if he would make it or not, leading to the "indefinite" return date.

TLDR- My theory is that Brady's leave of absence is to film for the Masked Singer, to fulfill an obligation he signed up for during his brief retirement. There is possible evidence to support this.

TLDRDR: buy low on Brady

This is my first attempt at internet sleuthing, so there could very well be something obvious that I'm overlooking that would easily dispel this theory, so just let me know if i missed something. Otherwise, stop freaking out about Brady - he doesn't need preseason.

Also - if you watch the Masked Singer and hate spoilers, I'm sorry.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

I want this to be true.
Kress

Post by Kress »

nybf

Post by nybf »

_MB_ wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:43 pm I want this to be true.
Sure will be fun revisiting some old threads of this happens.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

nybf wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:10 pm
_MB_ wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:43 pm I want this to be true.
You don't think Bootz would double down if that were true?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:12 pm
nybf wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:10 pm

I think you would. Or would you admit you were wrong?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:13 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:12 pm

Wrong about what? I have no idea what's going on.

You wouldn't be just as upset that Brady is doing the masked singer instead of training?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Wait. Brady can sing?
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:27 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:13 pm

Wrong about what? I have no idea what's going on.

You wouldn't be just as upset that Brady is doing the masked singer instead of training?
Upset that he's doing a show for the network that is giving him $375mil once he retires? Hell no. Jealous absolutely. But not upset in the least. You have me confused with the other player patrol that feel they should have a say in what players do with their own lives.
Last edited by King Bootz on Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:28 pm
Kress wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:23 pm There's a rumor floating around that he had already contracted to be on The Masked Singer, so he's out in Hollywood taping that. That's why the Bucs can't say where he is, because they've all signed nondisclosure contracts.

lol.

This is the best rumor, now.
It's... actually plausible.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Kress

Post by Kress »

Too obvious if his costume is a goat, but..... what if he comes out as a dolphin?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Us: Freaking out about Brady being gone.
Brady: Takes off the mask, smiles at the camera, and pops a Mentos.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

I don’t think the team would be able to forgive him for not being there in the dog days of training camp? Who knows though. He’s definitely getting his reps in wherever he’s at. He’s probably zooming in for meetings at times too.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

BJJ34 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:10 pm I don’t think the team would be able to forgive him for not being there in the dog days of training camp? Who knows though. He’s definitely getting his reps in wherever he’s at. He’s probably zooming in for meetings at times too.
Put down the pipe, son. The team would 100% forgive him for missing ~3 weeks of TC/Preseason. He's Tom fucking Brady.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Tod Bowles flip flopped?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ming-back/
Todd Bowles is attempting to put the proverbial toothpaste back in the tube.

A day after saying there’s no firm date for quarterback Tom Brady‘s return to the team from his training camp hiatus, the Buccaneers head coach has changed his tune.

“I know exactly when Tom is coming back, and I’ve consistently said it would be sometime after the Titans game,” Bowles said on Friday, via Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times.

But Bowles still did not reveal exactly when that is.

Bowles also slightly paraphrased Alfred E. Neuman when attempting to quell fears that Brady might retire once again.

“Do I look worried?” Bowles said, with Stroud noting the coach’s broad smile. “I’m not worried, so I don’t know why anyone else would be worried.”

Bowles had said on Thursday that there was “no definitive date for me. … We’ll keep in touch and find out,” when referring to Brady’s absence.

Bowles still did not disclose why Brady has been away from the team since last Thursday, though he did note that he’s being vague because something unforeseen could delay Brady’s return. The Buccaneers have said since last week that Brady’s absence was pre-planned.

Stroud has also previously reported that Brady’s absence has nothing to do with the health of the quarterback or any of his family members.

The Buccaneers take on the Titans for their second preseason game on Saturday.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

More fuel ... I follow this guy on Twitter . . .kind of interesting the reply

He asks the question in a poll .kind of interesting they replied

Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

Kress wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:54 pm Too obvious if his costume is a goat, but..... what if he comes out as a dolphin?
Watch for the character wearing a toga?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Masked singer is going to be must see TV this year.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

I still won't watch it.... Garbage TV

Yes, I know most TV these days is garbage but this is that runny shit in the bottom of the can
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:25 am
_MB_ wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:19 am
You should be worried because now we're getting to the bottom of all this and the results are worse than we thought.

Tom Brady has monkeypox.
This is, again, one of those things where I'd be 99% aghast and 1% like...huh...yeah...I can see that.

No man spends as much time on his skin regiment as TB12 without occasionally peeking over the curtain in the locker room shower.
Nah he talks about Gronks junk because he walks around naked in the locker room. He doesn't have to wait until they are in the shower.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Considering filming started July 24th, that would make no sense. The only way that could be true is if he was going back to film the song sung by all eliminated singers that they do during the last episode. Even then, how long would he need off? 3 days tops. Fly there, film, fly back.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:35 pm

Background: From what i understand about the Masked Singer (I haven't actually watched it so could be very off on any of the details), the contestants' identities remain a secret throughout the entire show, so Brady couldn't just say "im going on the Masked Singer" without ruining the big reveal. This could explain why the reports of Brady taking a leave of absence were so vague and the only reports were that it was to "deal with personal things." I'm sure Brady and any other possible contestants would have been required to sign an NDA to be on the show. It was also explained in those reports that the absence was known about and approved in advance by the team, which would also make sense. A casting/filming deal with a TV studio would have to be set up months in advance to align schedules, set the cast, etc. Brady could have agreed to be on the show back when he was briefly retired and then still had it as an obligation to be fulfilled upon rejoining the team. The leave of absence could have been a condition to him coming back. All of this is clearly speculation, but i started to really believe this was the reason for his leave of absence. So i decided to do some research.

Interesting factoid #1: In May 2022, Brady signed a 10 year, $375 million deal with Fox Sports to be their main NFL analyst once he retires. What channel does the Masked Singer air on? You guessed it, it airs on FOX. The same channel Brady will be calling NFL games on once he retires. If this wasn't enough, a little google search let me know that Joe Buck appeared on the Masked Singer in Season 7 while he was the main NFL Color Commentator for Fox Sports. So the precedent is there.

2 - the smoking gun: Next i decided to google Masked Singer filming dates and came across a nifty little site where you can sign up sit in the audience for the filming of The Masked Singer. Lo and behold, right on the main page it shows that there is a filming session supposed to occur on August 20. That is the exact same date as the Bucs-Titans preseason game, you know, the one which Brady said he would definitely be out through. What a coincidence! The next thing i found almost blew the rails off this whole theory. On the same site mentioned above, you can see any of the previous filming dates. Those dates were July 24-29, August 2-9, and August 12-20. Well dern, the Bucs started training camp on July 27 and Brady was in attendance until August 10, so doesn't seem likely that he was filming for the Masked Singer. That is until i did some more research and learned another interesting fact. Not all contestants are on every episode. Wikipedia let me know that in Season 7 (the most recent season) there were 15 contestants on the show. 5 appeared in the first three episodes, a different 5 appeared on the next three episodes, and the final five appeared on the next three episodes. The winner from each group moved on to a final round/episode. So it could be very likely that the July 24-29 and August 2-9 filming dates consisted of the first 10 contestants, and the August 12-20 filming sessions consisted of the final 5, which Brady could be apart of. Lets see how those last filming dates line up with Brady's leave of absence. From the initial report, Brady missed practice on Thursday, August 11 and will be out until at least Saturday, August 20 (the bucs titans preseason game). The August 12-20 filming dates just so happen to fit perfectly into that leave of absence. Just a crazy coincidence im sure! One last comment that further fits my theory: the report today was that Bowles has "no definitive date" for Brady's return other than that it would be after the Titans game. If Brady advanced out of his theoretical group of 5 contestants, he would need to film one more episode for the finale - but there's no way to know up front if he would make it or not, leading to the "indefinite" return date.

TLDR- My theory is that Brady's leave of absence is to film for the Masked Singer, to fulfill an obligation he signed up for during his brief retirement. There is possible evidence to support this.

TLDRDR: buy low on Brady

This is my first attempt at internet sleuthing, so there could very well be something obvious that I'm overlooking that would easily dispel this theory, so just let me know if i missed something. Otherwise, stop freaking out about Brady - he doesn't need preseason.

Also - if you watch the Masked Singer and hate spoilers, I'm sorry.
I see you hang out at reddit. a) How could he practice his singing for a whole week with the needs of being at the tech facilities during the 1st 3 weeks of camp, b) the record on Sunday, what is he doing the rest of the days? It's not practicing because if it was he wouldn't have been here for 3 weeks of camp c)There were 11 episodes last season that means filming won't end until October 2nd. Makes no sense that this is what he is doing.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Selmon Rules wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:45 pm I still won't watch it.... Garbage TV

Yes, I know most TV these days is garbage but this is that runny shit in the bottom of the can
Oh I agree. I literally only listen to the singing, initial judges reactions, and results. I fast forward through the clues and guesses.
Backside

Post by Backside »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:31 pm
Selmon Rules wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:45 pm I still won't watch it.... Garbage TV

I literally only listen to the singing, initial judges reactions, and results.
That’s all?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:27 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:35 pm

I see you hang out at reddit. a) How could he practice his singing for a whole week with the needs of being at the tech facilities during the 1st 3 weeks of camp, b) the record on Sunday, what is he doing the rest of the days? It's not practicing because if it was he wouldn't have been here for 3 weeks of camp c)There were 11 episodes last season that means filming won't end until October 2nd. Makes no sense that this is what he is doing.
I googled it after Kress mentioned it. It's a joke.
nybf

Post by nybf »

YOU KEEP THE MASKED SINGERS NAME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH!
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

I gotta imagine Brady's reading the buzz on the internet all like:

These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

How the fuck are singing shows still THIS popular after 20 years? It's 3 to 4 judges dramatically swooning and overreacting to a rendition of a song they've heard a million times. And chances are they've better than the performance they just heard. Oh yeah and emotional WWE style montages about Mom or Dad overcoming obstacles so lil Tyson can have the life he deserves or junior doing this Mom and Dad can be proud. Oh yeah and memes like William Hung.

I stopped caring like 17 years ago
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Posts like that make your lack of caring obvious.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I have never indulged in any of the talent shows on TV except Ed Sullivan's show back in the 1960s. Even then, it was rare.

As for all TV being crap as SR posited, I must disagree. There are a lot of good quality shows out there, imo.
Don't tread on me
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

The Outsider wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:20 pm Posts like that make your lack of caring obvious.
Maybe confused is a better word and saying the novelty wore out 17 years ago and I stopped watching
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

These Are The Days wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:12 pm How the fuck are singing shows still THIS popular after 20 years? It's 3 to 4 judges dramatically swooning and overreacting to a rendition of a song they've heard a million times. And chances are they've better than the performance they just heard. Oh yeah and emotional WWE style montages about Mom or Dad overcoming obstacles so lil Tyson can have the life he deserves or junior doing this Mom and Dad can be proud. Oh yeah and memes like William Hung.

I don't understand how these televised karaoke contests are still popular, but here we are.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cheb wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:52 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:12 pm How the fuck are singing shows still THIS popular after 20 years? It's 3 to 4 judges dramatically swooning and overreacting to a rendition of a song they've heard a million times. And chances are they've better than the performance they just heard. Oh yeah and emotional WWE style montages about Mom or Dad overcoming obstacles so lil Tyson can have the life he deserves or junior doing this Mom and Dad can be proud. Oh yeah and memes like William Hung.

I don't understand how these televised karaoke contests are still popular, but here we are.
Do you really not understand?