NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Buc2

Re: NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Post by Buc2 »

I'm just glad our team isn't back on this merry-go-round. End of year 3, we'd normally be in the mix for a new HC.
Don't tread on me
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:20 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:15 am If we won a ring this season and Arians decided to retire, how would you feel about hiring Flores?

They were legit in the midst of a 5 year rebuild. One of the worst rosters ever when he started.

I could see how this smells like an incompetent FO move.

Perhaps they hire Harbaugh or something like that and we forget about Flores. Or maybe they suck even worse going forward.
If Arians retired I would prefer Flores over either coordinator we have now.
That's roughly akin to saying one prefers lobster over gruel.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

If I'm Harbaugh and I really want to get back in the league, I have my agent call the Chargers and sell hard to Tom Telesco. Maybe they swing and miss, but if I'm Harbaugh that Chargers roster has the makings of a SB contender NEXT YEAR and Staley is getting shit on after his decisions and defense cost them a playoff spot.

If Flores can get fired then Staley shouldn't be safe. Who cares if it's only after one year.

Edit: And if I'm Harbaugh I'm on the phone with Vic Fangio to be the DC. The Chargers Roster + Harbaugh + Fangio would be a SB contender next year.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I love this stat :D

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:05 pm
13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:20 pm

If Arians retired I would prefer Flores over either coordinator we have now.
That's roughly akin to saying one prefers lobster over gruel.
Regardless of what the equivalence is Flores would be preferred by 9 out of 10 dentists.

I hope he is not thinking about giving Jacksonville the time of day.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:56 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:52 pm I tend to give head coaches the benefit of the doubt. And think they get fired too early. Can’t say I feel that way about Judge. Moving on from Jones, Judge, and Gettleman would’ve been a clean slate.
They're committed to Jones for 1 more season (along with Saquan to some degree). So perhaps the logic is to just keep them together for continuity/stability sake.

When they go 5-13 next season they can clean house completely.

The Giants do have the 5th and 7th (from Chicago) overall picks in the draft this April
Judge seems primed to get fired mid-season. No stability can make up for players who don't want to play for you. That seems to be the main issue there.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

My guess is Flores is headed to Jacksonville. I mean, at the end of the day, the Fins were not a good football team (30th in the NFL in rushing), but they were in playoff consideration past Christmas. Flores may not be the best coach in the world, but he wasn’t the problem. To me, this smacks of Grier kissing the owner’s ass (and simultaneously doubling down on Tua over Herbert).
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Dread wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:10 pm I love this stat :D

This is the kind of high-level research our country needs more of.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Not gonna lie I thought he still played for them.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

The NFL is so weird. How does Flores get fired but Joe Judge and Matt Rhule keep their jobs?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:29 pm The NFL is so weird. How does Flores get fired but Joe Judge and Matt Rhule keep their jobs?
I think there are times when it comes down to how well a coach is liked when things are going poorly or if the owner agrees it is due to injuries/bad GM. In the case of Rhule, injuries certainly hurt this season. In the case of Judge, I have no clue why he is being retained.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread

Post by Dread »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:29 pm The NFL is so weird. How does Flores get fired but Joe Judge and Matt Rhule keep their jobs?
I don't think anyone could protest Rhule getting canned if it would've happened. But I think giving him 1 more season to see if he can get the offense straightened out is fine. Not that I expect it will happen.

But when he was hired he put an obvious emphasis on the defensive side of the ball and that has resulted in the Panthers having a very solid season on defense and potential to be an elite unit next season with the pass rush tandem of Burns and Reddick. In the back end they still have a premier LB in Shaq Thompson, a good young Safety in Jeremy Chinn, and potential lockdown secondary if they re-sign Charlotte native Stephen Gilmore to team up with 8th overall pick and promising rookie Jaycee Horn, not to mention recently acquired CJ Henderson (another top 10 pick at CB).

But offensively the can't function without CMC b/c they suck at QB and Oline. So this offseason they have to get that addressed.

If they can find a way to get Watson, or at a bare minimum significantly upgrade that Oline to protect Darnold better then maybe they can salvage a decent season next year if CMC can stay healthy.

But Rhule will have to earn a playoff berth next season to save his job imo.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:00 pm
Bills defense was first both scoring and total yardage.

That should get Frazier some interviews for sure. He's also one of the most well-respected coaches in the NFL. Unfortunately for Frazier he's the coordinator for a team whose HC comes from the defensive side of the ball as well.

Just like here in Tampa with Leftwich. How much credit should Leftwich get for the offensive success in Tampa when BA is the Head Coach and Brady is the QB? It's a tough question imo.

Chicago needs to make sure whoever they hire has a good plan for Justin Fields development as a pro QB. That kid has some nice tools and needs to be supported.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:28 am Firing Brian Flores is a huge mistake.

Dolphins can't stop shooting themselves in the dick.
They’re going after Jim Harbaugh HARD
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:01 pm
Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:28 am Firing Brian Flores is a huge mistake.

Dolphins can't stop shooting themselves in the dick.
Wrong again, kiddo

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:05 pm
Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:01 pm

Wrong again, kiddo

I don’t care! I dont give a shot what media or Ross said. Please continue what they tell you :}
Last edited by Phantom on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:05 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:05 pm

Wrong again, kiddo

I don’t care! I dont give a shot what media or Ross said
You don't care what the owner of the team says in regards to who they are or aren't going to hire?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Anyway, Could Greg Roman be a possible Nagy’s replacement? Stay tuned
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kona

Post by Kona »

Maybe it’s just me, but there seems to be a lack of quality coaching candidates this go around looking at the interview cycle. Flores is probably the best available.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Kona wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:12 pm Maybe it’s just me, but there seems to be a lack of quality coaching candidates this go around looking at the interview cycle. Flores is probably the best available.
Read my mind. Though I admittedly don’t keep up with the up and coming OCs/DCs. Just too much to track.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:16 pm
Kona wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:12 pm Maybe it’s just me, but there seems to be a lack of quality coaching candidates this go around looking at the interview cycle. Flores is probably the best available.
Read my mind. Though I admittedly don’t keep up with the up and coming OCs/DCs. Just too much to track.
According to media pundits Leftwich is one
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:07 pm
Phantom wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:05 pm

I don’t care! I dont give a shot what media or Ross said
You don't care what the owner of the team says in regards to who they are or aren't going to hire?

I wouldn't. The NFL offseason is not known for the truth. For the teams this thread is about, it's the offseason.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Terry Tate wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:39 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:07 pm

I wouldn't. The NFL offseason is not known for the truth. For the teams this thread is about, it's the offseason.
No Facts - Lies? Don't coaches lie every presser before a game? Why would the owner be honest? Heck Culverhouse even lied to Bo Jackson! The only owner I think that might slip the truth is Jerry Jones. That's only because he likes to get it the press.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Jaguars interviewed Dallas OC Kellen Moore for head coaching job. I like him. I think he’ll be good HC with Trevor Lawrence as his QB
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Miami is so fucking stupid
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

And the Jags have the likes of Pederson, Zimmer and Flores to choose from. How tanked up do you have to be to pass on them for Byron Leftwich? Do the smart thing. The good news is that was a 4 year project team and Urb just ate year 1 for free
MJW

Post by MJW »

Flores getting fired is a joke. I'm not normally a fan of "one-hop" retreads but I'd be giving him a call if I needed a coach.

The Giants apparently wanted to break their cycle of "two and done" head coaches, but Judge is a clown. Is ownership really looking at the Daniel Jones/Joe Judge combo and seeing a Superbowl at any point in their future?
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

MJW wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:03 am Flores getting fired is a joke. I'm not normally a fan of "one-hop" retreads but I'd be giving him a call if I needed a coach.

The Giants apparently wanted to break their cycle of "two and done" head coaches, but Judge is a clown. Is ownership really looking at the Daniel Jones/Joe Judge combo and seeing a Superbowl at any point in their future?
The Giants are probably at the point where they realize it's irrelevant who their coach and QB are. That they're in the unique position where they're so bad they might as well just roll with what they have and not pay a bunch of people at once because nothing they do is going to win then more than like 5 games next year anyway.

Much like Jacksonville the team is 4 years away from being anything decent and like whoever replaces Urb, a free year 1 just got eaten up and Judge us going to eat it too for the next guy in NY
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:05 pm Wrong again, kiddo

If you truly believe this, I have some mountainside property here in Florida to sell you.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

1st coach fired this weekend to receive an interview. Bears must really be trying to comply with that Rooney Rule, huh

Last edited by King Bootz on Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:06 am
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:05 pm Wrong again, kiddo

If you truly believe this, I have some mountainside property here in Florida to sell you.
I hear a lot of smoke but no guarantees. You saying the Dolphins will hire Harbaugh as their HC?
Snake

Post by Snake »

I asked my buddy - who is a diehard patriots fan - about Mayo:

“Well no one knows much about him or what exactly he does. Speculation is that he’s one of the guys who was messing up the game plans and substitutions on defense. Which is why Bill took it back over.”