2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MRM

Re: 2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

Post by MRM »

Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:24 am
MRM wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:00 am Looks like Ron Rivera, Dennis Allen, Vrabel, and Bellichick moved one step closer to getting the ax.
I think Vrabel is safe
Could be. Could also end up in New England if Kraft decides to make a change.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:08 am I really don’t think Kraft will ever fire BB.
It will be a mutual parting, but it's the same thing
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Harbaugh watch:
Michigan is actively working on a contract extension for Jim Harbaugh worth $11M per year for 5 years. The biggest hurdle left is a commitment from Coach Harbaugh that he will not pursue an NFL job this cycle
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I think Jason Licht would work fucking great with Bill Belichick and is a established enough GM to be that alpha to have Belichick focus on coaching the players Licht brings in. Belichick is a GOAT as a defensive mind and as a head coach whose coaching philosophy starts with not getting in your own way.

The Pats under Brady for the most part had some absolute dogs on offense besides Brady at multiple positions. It is idiotic to say Brady single handedly made Belichick better and Brady was the system and blah blah. Remember the 2018 and 2019 version of Brady? Very average QB, if not below average. That is Belichick's horrible scouting and team building catching up to make even the GOAT look average. The guy progressively simply lost touch as a complete CEO of a team and needs to be relegated to a disempowered defensive minded head coach that has a very alpha GM and creative OC. That won't happen in New England. That is exactly what Bowles is in Tampa (minus the creative OC). Swap Bowles with Belichick and we are a 8-4 team with a stranglehold on this division for years to come because of a mess of QB play and salary cap situation among other NFC South teams.
MRM

Post by MRM »

We know the Steelers don't fire coaches. Isn't it time for Mike Tomlin to move on? He's been there 16 years or so. He needs to be somewhere that actually spends money on the right players. I don't know how much say he has in personnel decisions when it comes to free agency and the draft.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

MRM wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:41 am We know the Steelers don't fire coaches. Isn't it time for Mike Tomlin to move on? He's been there 16 years or so. He needs to be somewhere that actually spends money on the right players. I don't know how much say he has in personnel decisions when it comes to free agency and the draft.
This isn't even a question. Tomlin has a job in Pittsburgh as long as he wants and he seems to be happy there.

IF he wanted to move on though he'd have his pick from whoever the available teams are. He could take a year off and then get back into the business if he didn't like available jobs.

But I don't see either side wanting to move on.
Most hated man in America.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Someone asked a silly question on Reddit but I'm honestly not sure what the "official" handling of this situation would be: Since Bill Belichick is the GM of the Patriots...can't he just trade himself to another team?

Obviously there would be some mechanism in place to prevent this but I'm wondering what they are exactly.
Snake

Post by Snake »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:10 pm Someone asked a silly question on Reddit but I'm honestly not sure what the "official" handling of this situation would be: Since Bill Belichick is the GM of the Patriots...can't he just trade himself to another team?

Obviously there would be some mechanism in place to prevent this but I'm wondering what they are exactly.
Ownership has final say on everything, obviously, and can intervene whenever they want, on everything. If/When they get word that Belichick was trading himself to the Chargers for a 7th round pick in 2032, Kraft would just call the league office and kill it.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MRM wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:41 am We know the Steelers don't fire coaches. Isn't it time for Mike Tomlin to move on? He's been there 16 years or so. He needs to be somewhere that actually spends money on the right players. I don't know how much say he has in personnel decisions when it comes to free agency and the draft.
I don’t think he’s ever had a losing season there?

Whoever drafted Kenny Pickett should be the one moving on.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Tomlin would have a job elsewhere immediately if he wanted it.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:09 pm Tomlin would have a job elsewhere immediately if he wanted it.
This right here. Let's not kid ourselves, the Glazer's would probably throw Bowles out the door tomorrow if they had an agreement to bring Tomlin in here. And few here would complain.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:11 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:09 pm Tomlin would have a job elsewhere immediately if he wanted it.
This right here. Let's not kid ourselves, the Glazer's would probably throw Bowles out the door tomorrow if they had an agreement to bring Tomlin in here. And few here would complain.
No, ALL of us here would be thrilled with it.
Last edited by Bootz on Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Tomlin's offense has not been performing very well in recent years. Matt Canada and I forgot the other. I don't think Pickett is good QB.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Other than the Chiefs, which time would BB almost surely win a SB with next year if he gets traded to them?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

That's a good question.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't know if it would be that quick or easy. BB is a very rough coach with a tough system and it's a lot easier when the league golden boy is the face of it.

He's a magician in turning JAGs into cogs in his machine. But he's only usually changing out a few at a time with the rest very well verses in the system at any given time. A quick install and day 1 turnaround isn't a BB guarantee given he hasn't has a day 1 in 20 years.
MRM

Post by MRM »

Let's welcome Brandon Staley back to the hot seat. I realize Herbert got injured yesterday. But Staley finds more ways to lose games than any coach today.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Staley has been on the hot seat for the past 2 seasons now. It's all but certain that he will be fired.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I feel like I should be able to bet money on Staley getting fired and replaced by Belichick.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:34 am I feel like I should be able to bet money on Staley getting fired and replaced by Belichick.
I am thinking Bill might retire if he leaves.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Bootz wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:14 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:11 pm

No, ALL of us here would be thrilled with it.
Don't you speak for me!! I'll complain right now!

Bah screw it. It's too early for this
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

I would give anything for the job security Staley has. It is one of the more unbelievable things I have seen in the NFL aside from Hue Jackson
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:48 am I would give anything for the job security Staley has. It is one of the more unbelievable things I have seen in the NFL aside from Hue Jackson
He's with the Chargers. They have been notoriously patient with their HCs. Since 2002, they've only had 5 HCs. Each has gotten at minimum 4 seasons to work with.

But it seems he's at the end of his rope.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Licht is fantastic at listening to his staff, what they have, what they want, and getting the best players to improve the roster. He would absolutely crush it with BB.

Their issue will still be the same tho, you need to nail that OC/QB combo on the other side. That challenge isn't going away.
MRM

Post by MRM »

No doubt Staley has been on the hot seat for some time. But he put himself at the top of the list yesterday. He doesn't have a feel for the coach to be a head coach.

What will be funny is all 4 coaches in the NFC South get fired after this season. One is already gone. I can see whoever wins the division still getting canned following an embarrassing playoff loss to either the Cowboys or the Eagles.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

MRM wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:45 pm No doubt Staley has been on the hot seat for some time. But he put himself at the top of the list yesterday. He doesn't have a feel for the coach to be a head coach.

What will be funny is all 4 coaches in the NFC South get fired after this season. One is already gone. I can see whoever wins the division still getting canned following an embarrassing playoff loss to either the Cowboys or the Eagles.
If the Falcons win NFCS, I would like to hear a convincing case for why Arthur Smith should be fired. The team he took over was a complete dumpster fire lacking in talent nearly everywhere. He started with a Matt Ryan clearly over the hill, but that season needed to play out to reach that conclusion. I don't think he has been in a position to draft a good QB prospect in his tenure. What could a different coach have achieved in his situation, while having so many gaping holes roster wide?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Jonny wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:04 pm
MRM wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:45 pm No doubt Staley has been on the hot seat for some time. But he put himself at the top of the list yesterday. He doesn't have a feel for the coach to be a head coach.

If the Falcons win NFCS, I would like to hear a convincing case for why Arthur Smith should be fired. The team he took over was a complete dumpster fire lacking in talent nearly everywhere. He started with a Matt Ryan clearly over the hill, but that season needed to play out to reach that conclusion. I don't think he has been in a position to draft a good QB prospect in his tenure. What could a different coach have achieved in his situation, while having so many gaping holes roster wide?
Interesting. I think you could replace Falcons with Bucs. Arthur Smith with Todd Bowles. And Matt Ryan with Tom Brady.

I would say the big gripe about Smith is the players they have drafted early in his 3 years have not been major contributors so far. Jury is still out, but he hasn't been able to utilize Pitts, who was drafted 4th overall. Before Ja'Marr Chase.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Arthur Smith has done well IMO with what he’s had to work with. They need a QB though. Ridder is holding them back.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

So, Kraft & Co. came to a decision after the loss to the Colts?
Report: Robert Kraft made decision to part ways with Bill Belichick after Week 10 loss to Colts
ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports
Tue, Dec 12, 2023, 11:33 PM EST·2 min read

Tom Curran of NBC Sports Boston, via Hayden Bird of Boston.com, said Monday that Kraft already made the decision to make a change after New England's Week 10 loss to the Colts in Frankfurt.

“When they came out of Germany, conversations I had that week made it very clear that a decision was made,” Curran said. “They were going to play out the string, and at the end of the year, there would be a parting of the ways for a variety of reasons.”

Curran added that the parting of the ways could include a de facto trade of Belichick to a new team. That would explain the decision not to fire Belichick during the season.

{continues at link}
Don't tread on me
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Whether he come to the Bucs I have no idea but BB would be a typical Glazer hire.....and in my opinion in this case...not a wise one.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

BB would be hella interesting.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

BB seems to have grown weary of coaching and no longer seems to have the fire he once had. Maybe after a year or 2 off, he might want to get back into coaching.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s going to coach as long as someone provides a chance at the all time wins record, I believe.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Coaching isn't the problem in NE. That roster sucks. They've made horrible personnel decisions. I'm fully convinced this NE team wouldn't barely beat say a Michigan or Georgia college team. Probably like a 35-27 type game.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:35 am Coaching isn't the problem in NE. That roster sucks. They've made horrible personnel decisions. I'm fully convinced this NE team wouldn't barely beat say a Michigan or Georgia college team. Probably like a 35-27 type game.
Always chuckle at this take. How many players do you think Georgia/Michigan/Alabama have on their roster that will be drafted or UDFA in the NFL?

Even the high end college teams may have roughly 20 guys in a given year that will eventually ever make it to the league. At best. With several of them being freshmen who haven't nearly grown into their bodies.

New England has 53+ NFL players no matter how much they "suck."