2021 NFL Season

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: 2021 NFL Season

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:06 am After seeing the Steelers/Ravens game, I have an idea:

If your extra point would tie the game with under a minute left in regulation, you have to go for two. Nobody friggin enjoys the "run out the clock for OT" last minute of those games. And despite the fact it should be great, overtime is rarely great. We still talk about Gruden going for 2 against the Redskins in 2005 with Alstott in a similar situation.
I agree here. I personally loved the decision by Harbaugh to go for 2. They've been successful doing it this year. It was simply an iron on iron play. TJ did what he does and forced Lamar to throw it earlier than he wanted. And Andrews almost caught it. That's great football.
Kress

Post by Kress »

MJW wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:06 am After seeing the Steelers/Ravens game, I have an idea:

If your extra point would tie the game with under a minute left in regulation, you have to go for two. Nobody friggin enjoys the "run out the clock for OT" last minute of those games. And despite the fact it should be great, overtime is rarely great. We still talk about Gruden going for 2 against the Redskins in 2005 with Alstott in a similar situation.

It's not mandatory, but your punishment, should you choose to kick it, is a 60-minute overtime. This game tied? Great. Immediate do-over.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:52 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:50 pm Win or lose, my respect for BB has never been higher. He believed his team was tougher and could dominate the LOS. This is a throwback kinda game I needed.

I guess the defense also improved this season after Bill took it back under his primary advisement.
He's the GOAT.
BB is the GCOAT
TB is the GQBOAT
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:13 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:11 pm Bills are in danger of not even making the playoffs.
They could beat us by 40 next week.

They are the most unpredictable team in the league.
QFT

Watching the presser after the game I suspect this game is going to be in the players' heads. They are rumored to be looking at replacing their OC. That is a bad look for a team that is still in playoff contention. Honestly, they look they are about to implode the rest of the season and end up 9-8 or 8-9. They are a tough team to get a read on.
Snake

Post by Snake »

13F11B wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:13 am

QFT

Watching the presser after the game I suspect this game is going to be in the players' heads. They are rumored to be looking at replacing their OC. That is a bad look for a team that is still in playoff contention. Honestly, they look they are about to implode the rest of the season and end up 9-8 or 8-9. They are a tough team to get a read on.
That’s funny, because Brian Daboll (OC) was supposedly a hot HC candidate last offseason. So much for that.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Hahaha. I really hate the media

Dread

Post by Dread »

13F11B wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:13 am

QFT

The weather conditions certainly played to New England's favor last night. The Bills are a built like a warm weather team with how much they throw the ball, are not physical in the run game, and run defense is pretty suspect.

The Bills might also be a tad overrated in 2021. Their early season success had wins over the WFT and Dolphins before either team started playing well. The week 5 win in KC before the Chiefs started playing better was really the only good win the Bills have had, and that was 2 months ago.

Overall they've feasted on a pretty weak schedule and are still 3-4 in their last 7 games.

They still have talent and are a capable team, but them coming to Tampa and beating a healthy Bucs team would be by far their best win of the season.

We know they'll be desperate and motivated. They also have not lost 2 straight games all season.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:21 am Hahaha. I really hate the media

They looked pissed. I hope we are prepared for a dog fight on Sunday. Buffalo has one of the best defenses in football and after every loss they've come back strong the following game.

We'd better be on our A game.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:37 am

They looked pissed. I hope we are prepared for a dog fight on Sunday. Buffalo has one of the best defenses in football and after every loss they've come back strong the following game.

I really fear we come out with no intentions on running the ball. On paper that's the worst possible game plan.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:21 am Hahaha. I really hate the media

Yup, they are also a well coached team w/ Sean McDermott which is a big reason they don't lose b2b games imo.

They should be pissed, alot was riding on that game last night for them (and the Pats) in terms of playoff positioning.

It's also diheathening for a defense to lose that way. They have up that one big run to Harris in the first half and then essentially gave up to two FGs the rest of the game. Poyer was absolutely correct in that they (Bills defense) got stops when they needed to.

The Bills offense had the ball inside the RZ twice in the final 7 minutes of the game and came away zero points and ended up losing by 4.

As I mentioned after the game, I was hoping for a Bills win last night so that they might be a little complacent coming to Tampa after a huge divisional win to retake the top spot.

No such luck, I'd be shocked if we don't get the Bills best shot next Sunday.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:41 am

I really fear we come out with no intentions on running the ball. On paper that's the worst possible game plan.
That would be stupidity. They have the #1 pass D in football. I know their superstar White is out with a torn ACL but they are still a great pass D. 8 TD passes allowed all year. 8. To 16 picks. They cover extremely well and close windows in a hurry. Only allowing 57% completion.

Fournette should be heavily featured in this game. I hope Leftwich and BA realize this.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Poyer - player on the left - was underrecruited out of high school and became an all American at Oregon State. Was then a 7th round pick in 2013 and had to fight his way onto roster spots for years before finding his footing at Buffalo four years ago. The Bills defense has a pretty gutsy performance, all things considered. Then he has to field questions like this from local media. I’m dead.
Dread

Post by Dread »

That would be very disappointing, but I can't see how BA and Leftwich could arrive at such a gameplan after last night other than just ego/stubbornness.

Sean McDermott (former Panthers DC) and Leslie Frazier (Bills DC) have been together in Buffalo since 2017 and have always ran ran a heavy zone scheme and with the recent injury to pro bowl CB Tre'davious White they'll likely want to protect the CBs who are in there with Safety help more than usual going against our passing attack.

Thus, I suspect lighter boxes and the agility to the run the ball.

I expect a gameplan similar to what we saw vs the Colts who play a similar scheme on defense.

I'm more concerned with Josh Allen and their passing attack vs our defense.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:06 am Poyer - player on the left - was underrecruited out of high school and became an all American at Oregon State. Was then a 7th round pick in 2013 and had to fight his way onto roster spots for years before finding his footing at Buffalo four years ago. The Bills defense has a pretty gutsy performance, all things considered. Then he has to field questions like this from local media. I’m dead.
Not to mention Poyer's wifey is an absolute smokeshow with tremendous ASSets.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:01 am

That would be stupidity. They have the #1 pass D in football. I know their superstar White is out with a torn ACL but they are still a great pass D. 8 TD passes allowed all year. 8. To 16 picks. They cover extremely well and close windows in a hurry. Only allowing 57% completion.

Fournette should be heavily featured in this game. I hope Leftwich and BA realize this.
Yup, on defense the Bills want to sit back in zone and make you jab them with short passes and invite you to run it. I haven't researched it but I'd bet they are one of the better teams at limiting big/chunk plays in the passing game.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Dread wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:12 am
Snake wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:06 am Poyer - player on the left - was underrecruited out of high school and became an all American at Oregon State. Was then a 7th round pick in 2013 and had to fight his way onto roster spots for years before finding his footing at Buffalo four years ago. The Bills defense has a pretty gutsy performance, all things considered. Then he has to field questions like this from local media. I’m dead.
Yeah even by NFL standards he outkicked his coverage LOL. That’s billionaire talent
Kress

Post by Kress »

Dread wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:09 am

That would be very disappointing, but I can't see how BA and Leftwich could arrive at such a gameplan after last night other than just ego/stubbornness.

Leftwich has said in the past that he does not game plan around the other team's weaknesses. He plans around our strengths, expecting us to beat them based on what we do best, not the other way around.

So there's that.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:17 am
Yeah even by NFL standards he outkicked his coverage LOL. That’s billionaire talent

Why does this conversation have no pictures?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Made me look.
► Show Spoiler
Yep!
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

The Bills are against the ropes. The Chiefs are battling back to being strong contenders. The Rams may be kinda just ehh. This is what makes the NFL so good! You just never know.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:26 pm The Bills are against the ropes. The Chiefs are battling back to being strong contenders. The Rams may be kinda just ehh. This is what makes the NFL so good! You just never know.
Ebbs and flows to every NFL season for every team.

One of the many reason Bill Belichick is the GOAT coach is his ability to get his team playing it's best at the end of the season. In all the Super Bowl seasons the Patriots had, rarely were they the best team in Sept/Oct.

Same as the Bucs last season. We were what, 7-5 heading into our bye week? Then won 8 straight and getting better each game it seemed like.

I think the Chiefs, Patriots, and Colts are the best 3 teams in the AFC right now. We'll if another AFC team can get hot down the stretch.

The NFC is a bit different b/c the Cardinals are still the #1 team with only 1 real loss when Kyler Murray played and that was to Green Bay on a play where the Packers CB made a good play on an ill-advised throw from Murray late in the 4th when the Cards were in position to win. The other loss to the Panthers counts obviously, but that was a fluke where the real Colt McCoy showed up.

But while the Cards are the best team in the NFL right now, I feel they may have peaked a bit early. We'll see. Historically teams normally don't come out of nowhere to win it all and need to take their lumps to gain the necessary experience in the playoffs. Unless of course you get Tom Brady as a Free Agent ;) :D . So I think the Cards are ripe for an upset come playoff time.

Packers have been there and done that with b2b 13-3 seasons where they've been the 1 or 2 seed.

Of course the Bucs have Brady and are defending champs.

Cowboys and Rams are certainly talented but think they have flaws in terms of experience and/or the physicality normally needed in playoff football.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Kress wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:37 am
Snake wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:17 am

@Buc2 posted a good one. I’m just doing my part.
► Show Spoiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:26 pm The Bills are against the ropes. The Chiefs are battling back to being strong contenders. The Rams may be kinda just ehh. This is what makes the NFL so good! You just never know.
I still don’t like how we matchup with the Rams.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The thing that does and will always matter most to me is who's playing the best defense in December. Right now New England has to be playing the best defense of any team in football. Baltimore and Buffalo are also playing good defense right now. In the NFC, Arizona's defense has been good all season and is getting better. Green Bay is playing well also. It's tough seeing many losses for those 2 teams over the final month.

I hope our defense has a turnaround. We are a very poor tackling team, which will be a death sentence in the playoffs. It doesn't help that we aren't exactly getting as healthy as we need to be either on defense. We'll need to play better to win another ring.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:10 pm The thing that does and will always matter most to me is who's playing the best defense in December. Right now New England has to be playing the best defense of any team in football. Baltimore and Buffalo are also playing good defense right now. In the NFC, Arizona's defense has been good all season and is getting better. Green Bay is playing well also. It's tough seeing many losses for those 2 teams over the final month.

I hope our defense has a turnaround. We are a very poor tackling team, which will be a death sentence in the playoffs. It doesn't help that we aren't exactly getting as healthy as we need to be either on defense. We'll need to play better to win another ring.
I got no argument there. If they're happy to just make the playoffs, well, they'll be happy. Otherwise, they best be getting some crap fixed. In a hurry. Coaches need to stop playing favorites and put the best 22 on the field. Period.
Don't tread on me
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:10 pm The thing that does and will always matter most to me is who's playing the best defense in December. Right now New England has to be playing the best defense of any team in football. Baltimore and Buffalo are also playing good defense right now. In the NFC, Arizona's defense has been good all season and is getting better. Green Bay is playing well also. It's tough seeing many losses for those 2 teams over the final month.

We are playing better defense now than we have through most of the season. Injuries are my biggest concern at this point. We need to get at least moderately healthy by Week 16. Devin White, Dean, SMB, AB all need to be back and near full strength. If we get that I like our chances with anybody.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:08 pm
We don't matchup well. Our guard play isn't good enough to handle their interior rush effectively. Our tackling isn't good enough to handle Kupp catching 7-10 passes. And their Oline is very good at handling our pass rush.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:18 pm
Primeminister wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:08 pm

We don't matchup well. Our guard play isn't good enough to handle their interior rush effectively. Our tackling isn't good enough to handle Kupp catching 7-10 passes. And their Oline is very good at handling our pass rush.
And their offensive scheme seems to destroy Bowles’ defensive scheme.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I agree on defense down the stretch being important, but the Bills have been shaky on defense the past 2 months and also lost their All-Pro CB recently for the season. And while the Bills front 4 is deep and plays hard, they lack an elite pass rush which will get them beat vs an elite QB. But they are smart and disciplined on that side of the ball.

The Ravens are stout in the front 7 but injuries have killed their season. Humphrey just tore his pec on the last play vs Pittsburgh and now he's gone for the season also joining Marcus Peters and their starting FS Deshon Elliot.

You also left out the Chiefs who have changed their identity to some degree this season and whose resurgence after a slow start has been led by great defense. To your point about defense it's why I feel the Chiefs are the team to beat in the AFC.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:15 pm

We are playing better defense now than we have through most of the season. Injuries are my biggest concern at this point. We need to get at least moderately healthy by Week 16. Devin White, Dean, SMB, AB all need to be back and near full strength. If we get that I like our chances with anybody.
I don't see it quite honestly. 31 points allowed to Indy last week. Seems the only teams we play good defense against are teams with bad offenses. Even Football Team was able to put up 30 on us, not to mention that now infamous never ending drive.

Last year our defense was absolutely suffocating after the bye week. Our guys played fast and with a ton of swag. No one truly could run on us(Bruce), we had QBs running for their life. Passing windows were small. Everything was clicking.

That ain't happening this year. Offenses aren't afraid to run against us. Pass rush has been up and down depending on the week. Pass D has been meh. Yes we have a lot of injuries but we know this and you don't get credit for injuries. We've gotta be better.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:20 pm

You also left out the Chiefs who have changed their identity to some degree this season and whose resurgence after a slow start has been led by great defense. To your point about defense it's why I feel the Chiefs are the team to beat in the AFC.
Yea I didn't even bring up KC. They've stopped relying on Mahomes being black Super-Man and have been playing great complimentary football. One of the many reasons Andy Reid is one of my favorite coaches. He knows what the hell he's doing.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:20 pm

Because they utilize their back a lot in pass pro. Michel & Henderson do well picking up blitzes.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:20 pm

B/c they don't mind abandoning the run and have a capable QB, receivers, and scheme. Bowles wants teams to be one-dimensional and the Rams have no issue playing that way.

Which might work well in a regular season game but come playoff time where the game is more physical and the refs let defenders grab more you have to have be physical in all aspects and the Rams offense isn't.

Finesse offense rarely works in the postseason and the Rams offense if very finesse.

One of the main reasons pundits and bettors are bullish on the Bucs to repeat is b/c both offensively and defensively we are built for success in the playoffs b/c of how physical we are in all facets of the game. Obviously the run defense speaks for itself with guys like Vea, Suh, Gholston controlling the LOS and long, athletic press man CB like Dean, CD3, and SMB in the secondary.

But offensively we have a physical ground game with Lenny and Rojo, and have big physical weapons in the passing game like Evans, Godwin and Gronk who are better equipped for the increased physical nature of playoff football.
Last edited by Dread on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:06 pm
Kress wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:37 am

► Show Spoiler
Is it really outkicking your coverage if it's all aftermarket parts?
Dread

Post by Dread »

nybf wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:31 pm
Primeminister wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:06 pm

► Show Spoiler
Is it really outkicking your coverage if it's all aftermarket parts?