Playoff Positioning: Where we Stand.

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Dread

Re: Playoff Positioning: Where we Stand.

Post by Dread »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:50 am
Dread wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:25 am Bucs are still the 3rd seed in the NFC heading into week 14. Mostly everyone has now had their bye week and has 5 games remaining.

Bucs need the 10-2 Cardinals to drop a game for their 3rd loss to match us (Bucs would own the tiebreaker) and they still have 3 (of their 5) games left vs teams with winning records (Rams, Colts, Cowboys).

Bucs also need the 9-3 Packers to drop a game since the Packers own the tiebreaker. The Packers only game left vs a team with a winning record is a trip to Baltimore in a few weeks, which is never an easy place to win a game. The Ravens are depleted due to injury, but they are in a dogfight for playoffs seeding in the AFC and of course have Lamar Jackson who can make miracles.

The Rams are almost assured the 5th seed in the NFC. Even if they beat the Cards next Monday to split the season series 1-1 the Cards will likely have a the better divisional record should both have the same overall record.
Do we want to play the Rams in round 1? Because personally I do not.
No, I don't either since the Rams will be the best of the 3 wild card teams. So we want to avoid the 4th seed and hope Dallas loses another game or two so it sets up a Cowboys v Rams WildCard game.

I'm not that concerned with a potential trip to Arizona. It's a dome stadium and not the homefield advantage like Green Bay is in January. I know we won there last year, but it's the least favorable route imo.

Hopefully the Bucs can win out and get some luck with the Cards and Packers losing a game down the stretch.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Dread wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:45 pm
Primeminister wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:50 am

Do we want to play the Rams in round 1? Because personally I do not.
No, I don't either since the Rams will be the best of the 3 wild card teams. So we want to avoid the 4th seed and hope Dallas loses another game or two so it sets up a Cowboys v Rams WildCard game.

I'm not that concerned with a potential trip to Arizona. It's a dome stadium and not the homefield advantage like Green Bay is in January. I know we won there last year, but it's the least favorable route imo.

Hopefully the Bucs can win out and get some luck with the Cards and Packers losing a game down the stretch.
Also, homefield last season wasn't as important as it normally is. Most of the stadiums were either empty or almost empty.

There were less than 10,000 fans at the NFCC
Dread

Post by Dread »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:50 pm
Dread wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:45 pm

Also, homefield last season wasn't as important as it normally is. Most of the stadiums were either empty or almost empty.

Agreed and get your point about attendance last year compared to this year.

But I will still call BS on the 10k number the NFL was touting for that NFCCG game. Plus they had those damn signs they were using as noisemakers :D :P .

Lambeau holds over 80k people and that stadium was more than 1/8th full.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Dread wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:57 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:50 pm

But I will still call BS on the 10k number the NFL was touting for that NFCCG game. Plus they had those damn signs they were using as noisemakers :D :P .

I agree, looking at videos it looks a lot more than 8,500 that the Packers claimed.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:59 pm
Dread wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:57 pm

I agree, looking at videos it looks a lot more than 8,500 that the Packers claimed.
Looks like quite a few empty seats if you ask me. 70K worth? Don't know for sure, but maybe. Whatever the number, it was a lot of empty seats.

Check the 3 pics on this site: https://fox11online.com/sports/packers- ... ut?photo=1
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If the regular season end today, we play Washington…
MJW

Post by MJW »

Phantom wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:34 pm If the regular season end today, we play Washington…
I would be okay with that. As Bowles has demonstrated a few times, he's a guy who schemes well against teams he's seen before.

I desperately want to avoid the Cardinals and the Rams for as long as we can. Otherwise, not scared of the Packers or Cowboys or whoever the 6th or 7th seeds end up being.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Dread

Post by Dread »

Big game for the Bucs Sunday with Buffalo coming to RayJay since it's really the last playoff caliber team we will face.

A win this Sunday makes a 14-3 season almost probable imo. Which should be good for atleast the #2 seed, maybe #1 with any luck.

I know the Bucs have to play the Saints the following week on SNF and we haven't beat those guys in the regular season in God knows how long. But this isn't the same Saints team we faced on Halloween, in fact I don't believe they've won a game since then.

After the Saints we get Edwards and AB back from suspension and play the Panthers twice in the last 3 weeks, they are a team in shambles as well having just fired OC Joe Brady and with rumors HC Matt Rhule may be leaving also. CMC is done for the year so they have Cam Newton who was signed a month ago with no OC or knowledge of the playbook behind a weak Oline and no RB.

Then we have a trip to NY to play the Jets in between dates with Carolina.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Bucs are now the #2 seed in the NFC with the Rams win over the Cards.

Packers have the #1 seed with the Conference record tiebreaker.
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

The good news is we have the easiest schedule remaining out of all three top teams. This does not mean it's a lock in the NFL, however. Any given Sunday.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Packers play Ravens, Browns, Vikings, and Lions from here on out.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Bucsfan83 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:30 pm The good news is we have the easiest schedule remaining out of all three top teams. This does not mean it's a lock in the NFL, however. Any given Sunday.
And the way this team is playing, they will find a way to blow a game. They seriously need to run the table to lock up the number one or two seed.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Dread

Post by Dread »

Redrum wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:49 pm Packers play Ravens, Browns, Vikings, and Lions from here on out.
Much tougher schedule on paper than the Bucs have.

Ravens are collapsing imo. Just too many injuries to overcome. If LJ's ankle is OK they have a chance, especially at home. But they may miss the playoffs entirely.

Browns have a good defense but Baker sucks and they won't be able to score enough to beat the Packers.

Vikings play everyone close and have the talent to beat their division rival. The Vikes should be in must win mode for that game to secure the final WC spot so there is that also.

Bucs biggest remaining game is this Sunday night vs the Saints. Who have Kamara back and still have a good defense.

After that it's about as easy as an NFL schedule gets the final 3 games for the Bucs.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Hard seeing a loss for either team going forward. Both of our toughest tests come this Sunday though. New Orleans knows how to beat us and a Lamar Jackson led Ravens team isn't easy to beat.

The x-factor will be injuries. Rodgers is playing with a broken toe and the Packers have a few injuries they are dealing with on their Oline. And of course we have our injuries in the secondary still. Whoever gets homefield has a great advantage and IMO is the likely NFC Superbowl candidate.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:44 am Hard seeing a loss for either team going forward. Both of our toughest tests come this Sunday though. New Orleans knows how to beat us and a Lamar Jackson led Ravens team isn't easy to beat.

The x-factor will be injuries. Rodgers is playing with a broken toe and the Packers have a few injuries they are dealing with on their Oline. And of course we have our injuries in the secondary still. Whoever gets homefield has a great advantage and IMO is the likely NFC Superbowl candidate.
If we don't get it, I hope the Packers do. I can't imagine we'll be the least bit intimidated by Lambeau after what happened last year.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:27 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:44 am Hard seeing a loss for either team going forward. Both of our toughest tests come this Sunday though. New Orleans knows how to beat us and a Lamar Jackson led Ravens team isn't easy to beat.

If we don't get it, I hope the Packers do. I can't imagine we'll be the least bit intimidated by Lambeau after what happened last year.
Green Bay is the last team I hope gets homefield. There's a huge difference in going to Lambeau in January with 8,500 fans there and going to Lambeau in January with 80,000 fans there. I wouldn't even take last year's result into consideration. We'd have to win that game a completely different way. The Packers are more balanced on offense than they've been in a while and their defense is playing better as well.

I really hope they drop at least 1 but they are playing so well its hard to see where that one is.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I agree with Bootz - Green Bay is the only place I would rather the Bucs NOT play, especially since it would likely be a late round before we went there. I don't care one bit about about going to L.A., Arizona, or Dallas.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:11 am
MJW wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:27 am

Green Bay is the last team I hope gets homefield. There's a huge difference in going to Lambeau in January with 8,500 fans there and going to Lambeau in January with 80,000 fans there. I wouldn't even take last year's result into consideration. We'd have to win that game a completely different way. The Packers are more balanced on offense than they've been in a while and their defense is playing better as well.

I really hope they drop at least 1 but they are playing so well its hard to see where that one is.
Agreed 100%. 80k is way different that whatever they allowed for the NFCCG. The Bucs offense is so much better at home b/c Brady can get to the play he wants at the LoS and when he (or any great veteran QB) has that luxury they are very tough to stop b/c they usually know the answer to the defense before the ball is even snapped.

Their defense will be even better once they get Jaire Alexander back. That rookie CB Eric Stokes has been great for them this season and those two make a heck of a tandem. Their best EDGE rusher Zadarius Smith should be back for the playoffs also.

I do think the Packers have issues along the Oline which could limit the offense when they face a good defensive front 7. But with that defense playing at home in the January cold they will be tough as long as Rodgers and Adams are healthy.

Lastly, the Packers have a much bigger home field advantage than either the Rams, Cards, or Cowboys. Any road environment for the NFCCG will be loud, but the Packers also have the weather and despite having Brady/Gronk and their years of experience in New England, the fact is they have been climatized to the warm weather.

If we have to play on the road this Jan I rather it LA or Arizona. I know I'll be rooting against the Packers once the playoff start if they have a higher seed than us.
Dread

Post by Dread »

That 'analytics' are still predicting the Bucs will get the #1 seed in the NFC fwiw. Which I interpret as there is a decent chance the Packers lose one of these next 3 games.

Bucs need to take of business Sunday and I think they will. It's a 'hat a T-shirt' game where a win clinches the division at home in primetime vs a hated rival whose got the better of us other than the playoff game this past January. This current Saints team is also the least threatening/capable version we've seen in a while given the injuries.

If we can't come out and have a good performance we have much bigger issues than not getting the #1 or #2 seed.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

If the Packers have another loss in them it'll be this Sunday against Baltimore. Cleveland sucks. I don't buy into the Vikings. And they finish the year in Detroit. Nuff said.

That said though, Baltimore is even more beat up at this point. Lamar will play but you gotta expect he'll be hindered by that ankle. As much as I hope Green Bay loses at least 1 of their 4 remaining games, their road is about as easy as ours.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

What I'm worried about is if Washington or the Rams end up with the 7 or 6 seed as wild cards and the Bucs end up facing them in the first round. That could very well mean a quick exit.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I'm not concerned about anyone... even the Packers. In the last 10 years, point to one time in the playoffs where Rodgers and the Packers didn't choke and find a way to lose. Since winning that Super Bowl in 2010, they're 8-8 in the playoffs and have won more than 1 game in the playoffs only 1 time and never made it back to the Super Bowl.

We have the best team in the league. If we lose, it's because we beat ourselves, not because the other team beat us. I don't care where the game is, we should win each time.
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

Vikings already beat GB despite Rodgers having a monster game. Cousins had his way with their secondary. GB did have almost 100 yds in penalties. I didn't watch that game so not sure what that was about but both teams appeared to be healthy.

Of course, Vikings pulling off the upset at Lambeau on SNF in January is unlikely but they may be fighting for a WC birth so anything is possible. Then there's Covid.
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

Defense5599 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:23 am What I'm worried about is if Washington or the Rams end up with the 7 or 6 seed as wild cards and the Bucs end up facing them in the first round. That could very well mean a quick exit.
Doubt Rams drop from #5 seed. If anything, they could join top 4 by swapping w/ Arizona.

I think Bucs bury WFT at RJS.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Packers 10-3 @ Ravens Sunday 4:25
Bucs 10-3 vs. Saints Sunday 8:15
Cards 10-3 @ Lions Sunday 1:00
Cowboys 9-4 @ Giants Sunday 1:00

Rams 9-4 vs. Seahawks Sunday 4:25
49ers 7-6 vs. Falcons Sunday 4:05
WFT 6-7 @ Eagles Sunday 1:00

Vikings 6-7 @ Bears MNF 8:!5
Eagles 6-7 vs. WFT Sunday 1:00
Falcons 6-7 @ Niners Sunday 4:05
Saints 6-7 @ Bucs Sunday 8:15
Panthers 5-8 @ Bills Sunday 1:00
Seahawks 5-8 @ Rams Sunday 4:25
Giants 4-9 vs. Cowboys Sunday 1:00
Bears 4-9 vs. Vikings MNF 8:15

Eliminated: Lions vs Cards Sunday 1:00

Sorry about getting this up late, been a trying week with the nice weather up here in PA.

Bucs are in a must win for the 1 seed. The real battles are behind with the Niners/Falcons swinging those wildcard spots completely. WFT/Eagles in a similar spot. Maybe the Lions can get some sort of boost from the holidays and win this next game too.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Holy smokes....Detroit is blanking Arizona. Just goes to show, any given Sunday.
Push the damned button already!
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Murray just threw INT, Detroit is about to score

Edit: it’s now 24-3 Detroit
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dropped to 3rd behind Dallas based on conference record.

Bigger problem now is we have the same record as LA. And if they over take Arizona for the NFC West title, we'd fall behind them as well. Even we win out, if LA does too it's not good for us.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:51 pm Dropped to 3rd behind Dallas based on conference record.

Bigger problem now is we have the same record as LA. And if they over take Arizona for the NFC West title, we'd fall behind them as well. Even we win out, if LA does too it's not good for us.
Catastrophic loss. I thought the Redskins loss was bad but the Bucs had a "hold my beer" game tonight. Massive playoff implications, none of which are good.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:51 pm Dropped to 3rd behind Dallas based on conference record.

Cardinals only have the Seahawks left to finish 5-1 in the division and since they split with the Rams the Cards would be NFCW champs.

It's going to be a crazy finish in the NFCW. I think both teams lose at least one more.

Hopefully the Bucs can take care of business and 13-4 gets us the #2 seed.

But we have bigger problems right now. If we're healthy it won't matter what seed we are.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:20 am

Cardinals only have the Seahawks left to finish 5-1 in the division and since they split with the Rams the Cards would be NFCW champs.

It's going to be a crazy finish in the NFCW. I think both teams lose at least one more.

But we have bigger problems right now. If we're healthy it won't matter what seed we are.
The Cardinals also have Dallas and Indy left on their schedule. They have an uphill battle and I honestly don't see them beating those 2 teams. Both teams run the ball well, which doesn't match up to what Arizona wants to do defensively. I think LA over takes them for the NFC West title.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:24 am
Dread wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:20 am

The Cardinals also have Dallas and Indy left on their schedule. They have an uphill battle and I honestly don't see them beating those 2 teams. Both teams run the ball well, which doesn't match up to what Arizona wants to do defensively. I think LA over takes them for the NFC West title.
We'll see. Rams don't exactly have a cake walk either.

Assuming they get by the Seahawks they have to travel to Minnesota and Baltimore who are both desperate teams.

Then of course the get the 49ers the last game of the season who will be looking to get a playoff spot and the Rams struggle with the 49ers like the Bucs do with the Saints recently.

That's why the Cards have the pivotal divisional tiebreaker is so important. Wild finish in that division
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:34 am
King Bootz wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:24 am

We'll see. Rams don't exactly have a cake walk either.

Assuming they get by the Seahawks they have to travel to Minnesota and Baltimore who are both desperate teams.

Then of course the get the 49ers the last game of the season who will be looking to get a playoff spot and the Rams struggle with the 49ers like the Bucs do with the Saints recently.

That's why the Cards have the pivotal divisional tiebreaker is so important. Wild finish in that division

The Niners are probably the best bet to beat LA. I don’t think Baltimore matches up well against them and the Vikings are one of the most inconsistent teams in football. Plus, when healthy, LA can beat anyone. As OBJ gets more acclimated, it makes them more dangerous. They’ve looked scary these past 2 weeks.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

The good thing is if we tie Dallas and no other teams we seed ahead of them. In a three-way tie, we lose out due to the conference record.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Really looking forward to that Dallas - Cards game in 2 weeks.

I'd imagine we'll be rooting for the Cardinals at this point.

Lots of football left. Packers look to have an easy path to the #1 seed but other than that there is alot to be settled in the NFC playoff picture.

I still like our chances to get the #2 seed tbh even if we don't control our destiny for it.