Week 17 Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Navybuc

Re: Week 17 Discussion

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:57 am
Navybuc wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:38 am Which brings me to an interesting question...would you rather promote Canales to HC here if you're going to lose him or keep Bowles as HC and let Canales take another job? We saw this experiment fail in 2009 but that was then, this is now.
Where the Steeles have their tradition of mainly promoting their position coaches, this unfortunately is the Bucs tradition of hiring HCs under the Glazers. Raheem Morris. Dirk Koetter. Todd Bowles. We have got to stop firing HCs because we fear coordinators behind them will get jobs elsewhere. That's supposed to happen. If you know what you're doing, you have a replacement for your coordinators on your roster already.
I think the difference is that many think Canales is actually a better coach than Bowles. Bowles was never really scouted to be HC, he was just promoted from DC to HC to keep the staff intact when Arians abruptly retired (*cough* forced out *cough). He doesn't exactly have a great track record as HC going back to the Jets, and the Bucs defense this year has looked ugly against some of the good teams we've played. The offense has carried us, and that's credit to Canales.

That said, I don't think the Glazers make the move, and while I think Canales will get looks, I don't think he gets a HC job.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I seriously doubt Canales is a HC candidate. He's done a nice job..... so far..... but a guy you're going to hand the keys to the kingdom?

No.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Kress wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:27 am I seriously doubt Canales is a HC candidate. He's done a nice job..... so far..... but a guy you're going to hand the keys to the kingdom?

No.
Lot of HC openings and some cheap teams out there. I could see the Chargers going after him instead of throwing the bag at Harbaugh or Ben Johnson. But hopefully he slips through this cycle at least.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Surely with a last name like Canales we'll get diversity picks if he takes a HC gig, right?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:15 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:57 am

Where the Steeles have their tradition of mainly promoting their position coaches, this unfortunately is the Bucs tradition of hiring HCs under the Glazers. Raheem Morris. Dirk Koetter. Todd Bowles. We have got to stop firing HCs because we fear coordinators behind them will get jobs elsewhere. That's supposed to happen. If you know what you're doing, you have a replacement for your coordinators on your roster already.
I think the difference is that many think Canales is actually a better coach than Bowles.
Who are the people that think this? I've never seen this mentioned before. Canales has been a playcaller for 15 games in his entire career. What proof is there that he be a leader of men?

And we've been "carried" by the 17th ranked offense in football? Really? You're not convincing anybody that this is true. Not even yourself.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Red jerseys!

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

NFL viewership numbers from the Christmas games:

- Raiders-Chiefs: 29.17M
- Giants-Eagles: 29.02M
- Ravens-49ers: 27.23M
Backside

Post by Backside »

Media has been gassing up the Bucs a lot this week. And I've bought all the way into this team. My conditioning has led to all of the letdown alarm bells going off in my head, but I don't want to listen.

If we keep playing like we have been, we are a way better team than the Saints. Dispose of them and celebrate a division win. Then it is fucking on.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:51 am
Navybuc wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:15 am

I think the difference is that many think Canales is actually a better coach than Bowles.
Who are the people that think this? I've never seen this mentioned before. Canales has been a playcaller for 15 games in his entire career. What proof is there that he be a leader of men?

And we've been "carried" by the 17th ranked offense in football? Really? You're not convincing anybody that this is true. Not even yourself.
Based on the posts on this board, a lot of people think that way. Plus some radio people I’ve tuned into this week have said Canales is more valuable than Bowles.

As for rankings, offensive numbers can be misleading given our struggles early in the year. What’s our offensive ranking since post-49ers game?
ImYourHuckleBerry831

Post by ImYourHuckleBerry831 »

Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:58 am Hard to say without more info. With what you said, KW3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yeah I still rather take the healthy RB with the better match up in ETN.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Phantom wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:12 pm NFL viewership numbers from the Christmas games:

- Raiders-Chiefs: 29.17M
- Giants-Eagles: 29.02M
- Ravens-49ers: 27.23M
Don't care if the viewership was higher or lower in previous years' Christmas games. Those are some crazy good numbers. I'm pretty sure NBA Finals or MLB world series doesn't get half of those numbers.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:20 pm

Based on the posts on this board, a lot of people think that way. Plus some radio people I’ve tuned into this week have said Canales is more valuable than Bowles.

As for rankings, offensive numbers can be misleading given our struggles early in the year. What’s our offensive ranking since post-49ers game?
That actually makes the position that "Canales is more valuable" even worse. That means you're only looking at a very small sample size and making an extremely knee jerk decision based off of less than a month of data.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I believe it. People are prisoners of the moment and the moment is the offense coming alive. Canales is also easy to follow and it doesn't hurt that he's got the look of a Disney channel movie coach. His leadership and intangibles are strong but he still has a lot of growing to do.

Also, despite several SB winning HC having rough starting gigs, some people simple can't let go of the jets saga as his final definition. Nevermind NYJ being a known sink hole of a franchise. But all the negativity is from outsiders, fans and media looking for clicks. The idea of their own freshly plucked wunderkind offensive HC is enticing. Actual coworkers really like him.

I think Bowles and Canales make a great team. Honestly the roles and responsibilities and expertise are so well defined, you could swap HC to Canales and I think very little changes. Even personnel is compartmentalized to Jason Licht who does a great job of understanding football and what his coaches are doing and getting the best players to do it with.

OBP is a very well organized and run machine. You hear them all speak to it, being in the same page, trusting their process. I think the right man for each job is at that job.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:55 pm

I believe it. People are prisoners of the moment and the moment is the offense coming alive. Canales is also easy to follow and it doesn't hurt that he's got the look of a Disney channel movie coach. His leadership and intangibles are strong but he still has a lot of growing to do.

Also, despite several SB winning HC having rough starting gigs, some people simple can't let go of the jets saga as his final definition. Nevermind NYJ being a known sink hole of a franchise. But all the negativity is from outsiders, fans and media looking for clicks. The idea of their own freshly plucked wunderkind offensive HC is enticing. Actual coworkers really like him.

I think Bowles and Canales make a great team. Honestly the roles and responsibilities and expertise are so well defined, you could swap HC to Canales and I think very little changes. Even personnel is compartmentalized to Jason Licht who does a great job of understanding football and what his coaches are doing and getting the best players to do it with.

OBP is a very well organized and run machine. You hear them all speak to it, being in the same page, trusting their process. I think the right man for each job is at that job.

I love all that. But then there is that sonofabitch that is ego, and ego amongst Alpha dogs.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:43 pm

That actually makes the position that "Canales is more valuable" even worse. That means you're only looking at a very small sample size and making an extremely knee jerk decision based off of less than a month of data.
I don’t know about that. To me, it shows he’s able to take a struggling product and turn it around. He’s able to effectively make adjustments. And of course he now has a history of revitalizing players’ careers. I’d say that makes him an attractive candidate for some teams. Enough to get him a HC job next year? Prolly not. Maybe if they beat Dallas in Round 1.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

So he was able to do what everyone at OBP had been saying we're going to do.

Now you aren't wrong that Canales would be the next hot thing. Especially if year 2 Baker is a success. QB whisperer label is already being thrown around. That is a golden ticket in this league.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:49 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:43 pm

I don’t know about that. To me, it shows he’s able to take a struggling product and turn it around. He’s able to effectively make adjustments. And of course he now has a history of revitalizing players’ careers. I’d say that makes him an attractive candidate for some teams. Enough to get him a HC job next year? Prolly not. Maybe if they beat Dallas in Round 1.
You're describing someone who makes a good coordinator. You're not describing HC material. Besides IF some team wanted to make Canales their HC, by this logic our QB coach could just take over with no issues.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:04 pm
Navybuc wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:49 pm

You're describing someone who makes a good coordinator. You're not describing HC material. Besides IF some team wanted to make Canales their HC, by this logic our QB coach could just take over with no issues.
Well, every HC starts out as a good coordinator. That's how they get their chance. If you do a good job, someone takes a chance on you. Sean McVay changed the hiring culture. Over the last 5 years, the "young" coordinators are getting more looks now. Hence, why it's possible Canales could garner some interest next year.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I'm enamored with Canales every time I listen to him speak. He's engaging and dynamic. We can expect he'll be an HC candidate extremely soon, but hopefully not for another year or two.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

If Canales gets offered a head coaching gig, I wish him well and enjoy my comp picks. I wouldn't fire Bowles and hire Cannales instead. As likeable as our OC seems to be, he's too inexperienced for my taste to trust him in the long term, and it isn't like the offense is exactly lighting up scoreboards on a weekly basis.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Hiring Canales as a HC this offseason would be something a bad organization would do.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Young HC's haven't had the time to get well known by other assistant coaches. Thus, young HC's are not able to fill out talented assistant coaching staff. That is what often leads to their demise. And some OC's and DC's just are not cut out to be HC's.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:00 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:45 pm

Or Steelers. Or Bears. Or Commanders. Or *gasp* 49ers..
Steelers I could see. Bears and Commanders are more likely to draft someone IMO. I think the Vikings may be the favorites. Wouldn’t shock me if Kirk and Russ legit ended up swapping teams and Cousins ended up in Denver.
This might be interesting
Payton might be looking for Wilson’s replacement before his second season in Denver. Baker Mayfield of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers could provide the Broncos with a “fairly high ceiling” at quarterback in 2024, according to Lou Scataglia of Predominantly Orange.

“Baker Mayfield is also going to be significantly cheaper than Wilson and is just 28 years old, while Wilson recently turned 35. So, not only was Sean Payton a huge fan of Mayfield at one point, he likely still is and is probably already looking to see who he could replace Russell Wilson with. Mayfield isn’t a slouch, either. He’s won a playoff game and nearly led his Cleveland Browns team to a divisional round upset over the Kansas City Chiefs a few years ago,” Scataglia wrote in his article published December 18, adding:

“Baker Mayfield also profiles closer to Drew Brees than Russell Wilson does, and I think Payton would also see that as a huge plus. Mayfield is currently playing on a one-year, $4 million deal. Even when he likely demands a richer contract from someone, it probably won’t be over $20 million per season.”
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:22 am Let's say we best the Saints this week and clinch the division.

Do we play to win the final week or rest the starters??
Bowles already said he isn't resting anyone
Snake

Post by Snake »

Russell Wilson refuses to play within the system. There’s a reason he leads the league in sacks since he’s been in the NFL. And it’s not just his offensive lines. He bails on pockets all the time and struggles to see to the middle of the field.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

acmillis wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:13 am mdb is at Epcot again thinking he’s on another continent.
Ok THAT was funny!
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:05 am
BucsNBills wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:22 am Let's say we best the Saints this week and clinch the division.

Do we play to win the final week or rest the starters??
A 10 win season and a 6 game winning streak to close it out would be quite an accomplishment, but I don't think you start anyone who could use a week to rest up. They started Brady last year, but I think they felt like they wanted to get some rhythm and momentum because the offense had been so brutal all year.
We seem to always come out flat after a buy or rest. So I say play em’
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:55 pm Canales is also easy to follow and it doesn't hurt that he's got the look of a Disney channel movie coach.
This was your most salient point correct? 💕
I said what I said

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Babeinbucland wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:45 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:05 am

A 10 win season and a 6 game winning streak to close it out would be quite an accomplishment, but I don't think you start anyone who could use a week to rest up. They started Brady last year, but I think they felt like they wanted to get some rhythm and momentum because the offense had been so brutal all year.
We seem to always come out flat after a buy or rest. So I say play em’
I agree, and we're the hottest team besides the Ravens.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:09 pm
I hope CD3 can play.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

My lord the Jets suck.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Watching David Njoku Absolutely run wild on the Jets while OJ Howard sits on the unemployment line after God knows how many teams he's been on irks the hell out of me.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

To be fair it took Njoku 7 years...

Hall is just so special.