2022 Training camp thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
uscbucsfan

Re: 2022 Training camp thread

Post by uscbucsfan »

Cheb wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:49 am
Buc2 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:47 am Trask is an odd hill for people to die on in here.
It's just giving Trask the benefit of a doubt. And given that less than 1% of posters here don't attend training camp practices to watch him love and form their own opinions, anyone who is slinging mud around here is either playing hindsight with positional needs and/or has unrealistic expectations.

The hindsight positional griping is bothersome to me. Could we have used a second round corner last year, obviously. Did we know that at the time during and around the draft, of course not; we were returning all three young starting corners from a Superbowl-winning defense. Why would we draft a second round corner to sit on the bench and play special teams? Because at the time, drafting a corner would have been a poor decision.

It's no different than those who refuse to get off Creed Humphrey's jock (who was taken before our pick in the second round in any case, and we drafted Hainsey to replace Jensen in the third to address the same need).

Anyone can play the 20/20 positional needs game. It doesn't make you smart or clever -- it makes you bitter and small-minded.
It's not 20/20 to most.

They said prior to the draft that we lacked and needed additional depth...particularly at CB and offensive line. Especially in the all-in scenario that we are in.

A player at one of those positions was seen as more beneficial to the run we were on and many are just stating that everything is backing that original opinion. Many said at the time that even if Trask could be a viable back-up and eventually a starter, a second round pick would have been more valuable, considering the state of the franchise, at one of those positions.

They weren't and aren't wrong. Those that wanted us to groom a QBoTF weren't wrong either...many of those were questionable about Trask himself, but both concepts are logical and aren't inherently emotional or reactionary.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:47 am Trask is an odd hill for people to die on in here.
It's just giving Trask the benefit of a doubt. And given that less than 1% of posters here don't attend training camp practices to watch him love and form their own opinions, anyone who is slinging mud around here is either playing hindsight with positional needs and/or has unrealistic expectations.

The hindsight positional griping is bothersome to me. Could we have used a second round corner last year, obviously. Did we know that at the time during and around the draft, of course not; we were returning all three young starting corners from a Superbowl-winning defense. Why would we draft a second round corner to sit on the bench and play special teams? Because at the time, drafting a corner would have been a poor decision.

It's no different than those who refuse to get off Creed Humphrey's jock (who was taken before our pick in the second round in any case, and we drafted Hainsey to replace Jensen in the third to address the same need).

Anyone can play the 20/20 positional needs game. It doesn't make you smart or clever -- it makes you bitter and small-minded.

Back to Trask, sorry for ranting. I also am hopeful that he gets his shit together to at least win a backup job, and I'm not going to say he was a wasted pick just yet. He played well in college when given the chance, and I would be willing to give him the same chance as a pro.
I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion one way or the other. I'm out of market, so seeing preseason games isn't really an option and I'm not one that watches games already played...especially preseason games.

As for who we could have taken in his spot in the draft, again, I'm not one to ask because I'm not a draftnik so I don't follow these guys' college careers. Regardless, I tend to agree with you that, at least, some of the complaints come from hindsight. However, IIRC, a lot of folks here were complaining about this pick the day it happened and over the days that followed. That is not hindsight.

At the end of the day, as you said, I hope he proves the coaches right.
Don't tread on me
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Gabbert and/or Trash will never be 'the guy' and a contributing factor for any games the bucs win in the future. it's not hating, just stating.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Peter King, arrived at Bucs training camp for his annual drive-by visit.

At practice that day, Bucs coach Todd Bowles gave the Bucs a break and had an underwear football session in the Glazer Shed. Bucs backup quarterback Kyle Trask hasn’t been the same since.

That practice began a four-practice stretch where Trask went from possibly pushing Blaine Gabbert for a second-string gig to looking like he may be no Ryan Griffin. It’s been a stunning and sad if not disturbing spiral for the former Gators star.

King watched the practice sitting maybe 10 feet from Joe before bolting a couple of hours later. So he didn’t see the aftermath.

However, King, as he does each year, is brought into the bowels of One Buc Palace where he has private sitdowns with Bucs players and shot-callers. So this intel Joe is convinced is accurate.

Trask, types King, will get the majority of QB snaps this preseason.

I think I feel pretty confident about this preseason opinion: Kyle Trask will play the most snaps of any quarterback on the Bucs. Tampa wants to see what it has in the second-year second-rounder, and there’s no time like meaningless August games to do so.

The next three weeks could make or break Trask’s days with the Bucs.

After watching Trask meltdown this past week, it is very difficult for Joe to believe Trask is your starting quarterback next season. And the way he is gagging, Gabbert has the backup job locked up. While Trask is pointing way down, Gabbert has actually thrown the ball better the past few days.

A second-year quarterback in the same offense with the same coaches should not be regressing, certainly not this badly. After watching Trask run from the pocket on three straight plays yesterday in a practice period following one of the most ghastly picks-sixes you will ever witness (from Trask’s arm), Joe is certain Trask is rattled.

For Trask to start next year — assuming Tom Brady is gone — Trask would have to make substantial improvements. A good preseason could save Trask’s career with the Bucs. A bad preseason and continued rotten practices, he could be unemployed in a month.

So yeah, it makes sense to Joe for the Bucs to throw Trask in the deep end of the pool the next three weeks and see if he can swim.
Again, it's practice and it means very little, but Trask has an uphill battle to make the team and to win over many people. I like that the staff wants to give him the lionshare in the preseason and see where it goes.

We should all be hoping he breaks through, regardless of our stance.
Backside

Post by Backside »

I despise how that dude writes.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Backside wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:20 am I despise how that dude writes.
Always have...
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Backside wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:20 am I despise how that dude writes.
What are you talking about?

"...an underwear football session in the Glazer shed." Is gold!
Snake

Post by Snake »

“It makes sense to Joe…”
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:10 pm
acmillis wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:38 pm I’d say the same thing about Trask with all the hate he’s getting. I are me you when he takes a shit in a real game. Can we just pump the breaks?
The dude is throwing wounded ducks in practice with no pass rush and we are supposed to believe he is just going to magically start shredding defenses in real games? I get the whole patience thing, but the lack of hype from the coaching staff combined with the horrible reviews from fans/media watching him in practice gives me no reason for optimism.
"Ducks". You saw one single pass, that clearly slipped from his hand, and are declaring him a bust, and calling all his passes - only one of which you've actually, you know, seen - "ducks".

The hindsight here is crazy. A few weeks ago, everyone was saying "Licht was an idiot for not drafting a DL". This week he's an idiot for not drafting enough OL. Basically, whatever we need at any given moment is what y'all will say we should have done, and as soon as the need changes so will the tune.

Want to claim we should have picked someone other than Trask? fine? Pick someone and stick with that one. But right now it's just an endless bashing of "Trask is why we don't have player X that we really need today", he's compared negatively to 21 other positions on the team.

As for the "he's a bust" crap? We know he didn't get the reps last year, and know he was a project. Nothing from his PS tape last year says he was particularly bad for a rookie. But everyone here can't wait to shit on the guy based on rumors, no direct information at all.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Going from Brady to any backup level QB was/is gonna be a death sentence to the club's championship prospects. The system is too reliant on an elite QB to work any other way. Investing an important asset into backup QB rather than meaningful depth at weak areas was a bad idea.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:38 am “It makes sense to Joe…”
Joe says, Joe agrees.
Don't tread on me
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

If Joe is the guy making the analysis, we may have nothing to concern ourselves with when it comes to Trask.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Who the fuck is Joe?
Kress

Post by Kress »

nybf wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:27 pm Who the fuck is Joe?
Joe Mama?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

nybf wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:27 pm Who the fuck is Joe?
Joe is the author of the article usc posted. Although, I really like Kress's answer better.
Don't tread on me
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:04 am

Back to Trask, sorry for ranting. I also am hopeful that he gets his shit together to at least win a backup job, and I'm not going to say he was a wasted pick just yet. He played well in college when given the chance, and I would be willing to give him the same chance as a pro.
I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion one way or the other. I'm out of market, so seeing preseason games isn't really an option and I'm not one that watches games already played...especially preseason games.

As for who we could have taken in his spot in the draft, again, I'm not one to ask because I'm not a draftnik so I don't follow these guys' college careers. Regardless, I tend to agree with you that, at least, some of the complaints come from hindsight. However, IIRC, a lot of folks here were complaining about this pick the day it happened and over the days that followed. That is not hindsight.

At the end of the day, as you said, I hope he proves the coaches right.
Exactly. I absolutely complained the day the pick was made. Licht has made some good picks, but that one was irresponsible and a waste of a valuable pick. You don't pick a developmental QB with a second-round pick - you do that with a sixth- or seventh-round pick. And you sure as hell don't do it when you have the GOAT on your team with a limited window and you need to maximize that window.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

haha

I found the “delete tweet”
Last edited by Phantom on Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kress

Post by Kress »

He will come out in preseason, when defenses are playing the most vanilla stuff ever, and light it up. Then the board will go crazy. I can't wait.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Here is the thing on that.

He can play well in the preseason and actually supplant Gabbert as #2 QB and it still_be_the _wrong_pick given all the context.

If Brady gets injured, what value does the best Trask possible (basically replacement level QB play at best) add to this 2022 team?

If Brady gets a season-ender because of an iOL failure to handle a Stunt or see and pick up a Delayed Blitz or LG or Center getting flat whipped…season is over. Trask adds no value.

If Brady retires next year, that means we effectively have him challenging someone else for starting QB on a team that has no shot at making the playoffs precisely because of the QB position. Best case scenario, he wins. Then we have a small sample size of games to judge whether we want to invest the outrageous amount of coin required to extend a QB in the modern league.

If he loses that 2023 TC competition for starting QB? Well, he’s almost surely just done at that point (though “he just needs more time” will certainly still be the refrain), but let’s say he isn’t. Now you have to PRAY he doesn’t win the QB competition in 2024 (his 4th and final year) because there is nothing worse than being put in the position of having to decide if you want to extend a (at that point 26) QB on a tiny sample size of a singular season.

In the immortal words of General Whatshisface from Star Wars ITS A TRAP!
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Nobody wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:54 pm Here is the thing on that.

I KNOW!

I had no problems with picking the QBotF in the second round. I wasn't a Trask fan, reminded me too much of Winston... A QB on a good team. He wasn't from William & Mary, or Ball State, and had to carry his team to victory. PLEASE tell me I'm wrong about that.

What bothers me is that since we had him NO MENTION of "the kid's coming along nicely" or anything like that. Absolutely nothing was said about Trask's progress, and that usually indicates problems. Meanwhile, I read all kinds of stuff about Brady possibly having "his best year ever."

I am quite uneasy about Trask, and I guess we will see in preseason if there is a glimmer of hope.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

In rhetoric, a sunk cost fallacy is not abandoning a strategy because you have too much invested in it.

In accounting, a sunk cost is a loss that has been incurred and cannot be recovered.

Rhetorically speaking, I don't think there's anything wrong with the strategy of continuing to develop Trask. No quarterback...player for that matter...takes the first NFL snap a finished product. He's under contract, he's Clyde Christianson's pet project, and no quarterback under God's hot sun is going to replace Tom motherfucking Brady.

From an accounting perspective, that 2nd rounder is gone unless you think we can trade him for a 2nd before this contract is up. Question the wisdom of the pick all you want, but ya ain't getting the 2nd round pick back. And I can't think of anyone I'd rather GM this franchise.

This franchise is not going to blow up the roster. Half of it, maybe. But it won't be a full rebuild because of the guys Licht has drafted and resigned these past couple off-seasons.

The broncos had no clue a year ago that they'd get Russell Wilson. We had no clue Brady was even on the radar in August of 2019.

Lots of things are going to happen. It's in no way all on Trask to save the franchise at this point and it probably won't ever be. And that's fine.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Caradoc wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:38 am The hindsight here is crazy. A few weeks ago, everyone was saying "Licht was an idiot for not drafting a DL". This week he's an idiot for not drafting enough OL. Basically, whatever we need at any given moment is what y'all will say we should have done, and as soon as the need changes so will the tune.

Want to claim we should have picked someone other than Trask? fine? Pick someone and stick with that one.
Well I groaned out loud at Trask pick. I'm not a fan of any of the Florida schools, I knew if we picked the lesser tier of QBs that I didn't want Trask. Kellen Mond or Davis Mills were much better prospects. I have no idea why Arians liked Trask more. Oh well.

That said, considering SMB might turn back into the pumpkin he was before the playoffs, my pick would have been for Aaron Robinson from UCF.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Moozician wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:31 pm
Nobody wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:54 pm Here is the thing on that.

I KNOW!

I had no problems with picking the QBotF in the second round. I wasn't a Trask fan, reminded me too much of Winston... A QB on a good team. He wasn't from William & Mary, or Ball State, and had to carry his team to victory. PLEASE tell me I'm wrong about that.

What bothers me is that since we had him NO MENTION of "the kid's coming along nicely" or anything like that. Absolutely nothing was said about Trask's progress, and that usually indicates problems. Meanwhile, I read all kinds of stuff about Brady possibly having "his best year ever."

I am quite uneasy about Trask, and I guess we will see in preseason if there is a glimmer of hope.
Trask threw two pick sixes in practice today. One of them was what looked like slant to Jerreth Sterns and hit Jordan Young OLB with a perfectly placed pass if Young was his target. It was like a Nam flashback.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kress wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:59 pm He will come out in preseason, when defenses are playing the most vanilla stuff ever, and light it up. Then the board will go crazy. I can't wait.
You know it's coming. I can't wait for it either. Somebody shine his Earnest Graham preseason MVP award up really nice.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:02 pm
Moozician wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:31 pm
I KNOW!

Trask threw two pick sixes in practice today. One of them was what looked like slant to Jerreth Sterns and hit Jordan Young OLB with a perfectly placed pass if Young was his target. It was like a Nam flashback.
He was the only one at practice today I see.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Team losses.

I look at Griff, then Trask, and then I look at the real damage Gabbert.

16 wins 40 losses before we got him (not sure on actual starts) - 9 and 1 with us.

Griff - 2 and 0
Trask - 0 and 0
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:25 pm
kaimaru wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:02 pm

Gabbert had his overthrows and off target passes as well. It reminded me off all the screen and short pass ints that LBs always jumped the route on Winston. I am just saying that if we get this in preseason games against backups and camp scrubs then that's a really bad sign.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Last edited by kaimaru on Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kress

Post by Kress »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:51 pm I'm not a fan of any of the Florida schools

my pick would have been for Aaron Robinson from UCF.
Those are some funny sentences. You disregard an entire state, despite it being a known football hotbed, then immediately take someone from that state.
Kress

Post by Kress »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:24 pm
Kress wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:59 pm He will come out in preseason, when defenses are playing the most vanilla stuff ever, and light it up. Then the board will go crazy. I can't wait.
You know it's coming. I can't wait for it either. Somebody shine his Earnest Graham preseason MVP award up really nice.

Defenses will sit there in a base cover 2 or something, and he'll pick it apart. Then you put him in a real game, where the coordinator actually prepared something, and he'll be like.... Wait, why is that nose tackle dropping into coverage, where is this corner coming from, and what the hell do I do now?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Kress wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:07 pm
kaimaru wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:51 pm I'm not a fan of any of the Florida schools

my pick would have been for Aaron Robinson from UCF.
Those are some funny sentences. You disregard an entire state, despite it being a known football hotbed, then immediately take someone from that state.
I was not born nor raised here. I do watch college football, and state teams are on a lot. My alma mater was South Carolina, but as a child I grew up loving Clemson. What a weird take, sorry I had to clarify.

That said he is a good CB from what I saw. Someone saw that too as he went on day 2 of the draft.
Kress

Post by Kress »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:17 pm My alma mater was South Carolina, but as a child I grew up loving Clemson.
Ouch
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Can Grayson still be put on the practice squad?

Plus every week we can protect 4 players on the practice squad?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:01 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:25 pm

Gabbert had his overthrows and off target passes as well. It reminded me off all the screen and short pass ints that LBs always jumped the route on Winston. I am just saying that if we get this in preseason games against backups and camp scrubs then that's a really bad sign.
There was no practice today, kiddo.
MJW

Post by MJW »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:51 pm
Caradoc wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:38 am The hindsight here is crazy. A few weeks ago, everyone was saying "Licht was an idiot for not drafting a DL". This week he's an idiot for not drafting enough OL. Basically, whatever we need at any given moment is what y'all will say we should have done, and as soon as the need changes so will the tune.

Want to claim we should have picked someone other than Trask? fine? Pick someone and stick with that one.
Well I groaned out loud at Trask pick. I'm not a fan of any of the Florida schools, I knew if we picked the lesser tier of QBs that I didn't want Trask. Kellen Mond or Davis Mills were much better prospects. I have no idea why Arians liked Trask more. Oh well.

That said, considering SMB might turn back into the pumpkin he was before the playoffs, my pick would have been for Aaron Robinson from UCF.
I was hoping for Davis Mills with that pick. There's probably a post here that proves that, but it's true regardless.

But Trask was a Bruce Arians type guy. We all could see that.

If it was a miss, it was a miss. Trask clearly had a lot of raw tools to work with. Well, sometimes that means you can turn the 64th pick in the draft into a good quarterback. Sometimes it just means a guy exits the league with those raw tools still in place. If the guy wasn't a risk, we don't get him with that pick.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."