2022 Training camp thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Kress

Re: 2022 Training camp thread

Post by Kress »

Backside wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:08 am Tyler Johnson seems to be having a very good camp. That final WR depth chart is going to be very interesting.
And so is Grayson. That is going to be interesting, and I guarantee whoever we cut will be out of a job for all of about 3 seconds.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Kress wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:41 pm
Backside wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:08 am Tyler Johnson seems to be having a very good camp. That final WR depth chart is going to be very interesting.
And so is Grayson. That is going to be interesting, and I guarantee whoever we cut will be out of a job for all of about 3 seconds.
All things being equal I’d prefer Grayson for his speed.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Primeminister wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:01 pm
Kress wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:41 pm

I suppose I'd have to agree. We have size, but outside of Perriman, not much speed. We need someone to make the safeties back up - or at least hesitate for just a second.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Sorry off topic, what number Alvin Harper worn while with the Bucs.. 81-82? When I was kid, I remember I got excited we got him.. what a disappointment

Edit: just looked..82
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

**YAWN** Wake me up when that post reads "Tyler Johnson/Cyril Grayson is having a really good season"
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

I’d say the same thing about Trask with all the hate he’s getting. I are me you when he takes a shit in a real game. Can we just pump the breaks?
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Phantom wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:34 pm Sorry off topic, what number Alvin Harper worn while with the Bucs.. 81-82? When I was kid, I remember I got excited we got him.. what a disappointment

Edit: just looked..82
He also wore 80. I had that jersey in white.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

acmillis wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:38 pm I’d say the same thing about Trask with all the hate he’s getting. I are me you when he takes a shit in a real game. Can we just pump the breaks?
The dude is throwing wounded ducks in practice with no pass rush and we are supposed to believe he is just going to magically start shredding defenses in real games? I get the whole patience thing, but the lack of hype from the coaching staff combined with the horrible reviews from fans/media watching him in practice gives me no reason for optimism.
Kress

Post by Kress »

acmillis wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:38 pm I are me you when he takes a shit
Wat?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:10 pm
acmillis wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:38 pm I’d say the same thing about Trask with all the hate he’s getting. I are me you when he takes a shit in a real game. Can we just pump the breaks?
The dude is throwing wounded ducks in practice with no pass rush and we are supposed to believe he is just going to magically start shredding defenses in real games? I get the whole patience thing, but the lack of hype from the coaching staff combined with the horrible reviews from fans/media watching him in practice gives me no reason for optimism.
Plus, fans are reasonably upset that we spent a late 2nd on a 4th string QB when we are all-in to win now.

I think most of the hate comes from that and that Trask was never a high ceiling prospect. He was an older player with limited arm and poor mechanics in college.

That was was just horrible and the reason for him getting a year off to "rebuild his mechanics". It doesn't mean it failed, but certainly worth talking about, especially when both Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Griffin continue to beat him out.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

What was Brady’s scouting report?
Kress

Post by Kress »

acmillis wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:40 pm What was Brady’s scouting report?
Probably worse than Ryan Leaf's.

Your point?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Kress wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:59 pm
acmillis wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:40 pm What was Brady’s scouting report?

Your point?
Such a dumb counterpoint for one of the biggest outliers in all sports.

Plus, Brady dressed and took snaps his first year, starting in year 2. He also wasn't drafted when his team was all-in with the GOAT. Thus far Trask hasn't beat Griffin or Gabbert.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

BJJ34 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:33 am
Tnbandwagoner wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:56 am
The point is that pick could've been used on someone who could and likely would be contributing now - a guard, or a cornerback, or a tight end. It could've been used on a pick that might have made the difference in our loss to the Rams in the divisional round.
Hindsight is 20/20. Brady wasn’t even signed for this year iirc when we drafted Trask. He added that option later.

Trask’s a give him time like Aaron Rodgers like pick. No one said he was Mr. Psychadelic, but hey… the idea was understood.
Is this a serious post? Brady signed a two-year deal in March 2020. He signed an extension in March 2021. Trask was drafted in April 2021. Google is your friend.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Kress wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:21 pm
Primeminister wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:01 pm

I suppose I'd have to agree. We have size, but outside of Perriman, not much speed. We need someone to make the safeties back up - or at least hesitate for just a second.
We have some kid name Scotty Miller too.

Seriously though, the last few WR spots are going to be tough decisions. Do we even know who the returners will be, that could be a deciding factor.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:09 pm
Kress wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:59 pm

Your point?
Such a dumb counterpoint for one of the biggest outliers in all sports.

Plus, Brady dressed and took snaps his first year, starting in year 2. He also wasn't drafted when his team was all-in with the GOAT. Thus far Trask hasn't beat Griffin or Gabbert.
What pressing need did we have that we absolutely needed to draft with that 2nd rounder that we didn’t?

As far as I can tell, we were in contention last season and are again this season.. but we have the luxury of having a young QB on a roster who can MAYBE take over once Brady steps down, instead of being completely QBless if he does.

You think a second round, idk… defensive back, allows us to beat the Rams and go on to win the SB last season? Unlikely.

You typically draft rookies to build a future around. Free agents, typically, are the “win now” pickups. But I’m not a coach or GM so maybe I’m a little confused.

And, again.. you made the point that we are in win now mode. So do you think, in win now mode, you’d gamble on a young QB with 0 professional experience over a veteran player to lead the win now team should Brady be unable to? Especially a young pocket passer?

I honestly cannot think of a better scenario to pick a developmental QB.

You have a Superbowl roster.
You have the GOAT as your QB.

Your QB can develop, relatively stress free.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Again, I posted a list of rookie contributors to our Super Bowl winning team. If you don’t think a second round pick can contribute year one, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

And yes, I’m guessing a defensive back in the second round has a better shot of contributing than the guy who ended up being 4th string QB.

How are you gonna feel when Trask isn’t even on the roster in 24 months?

They missed. Even if he becomes a bottom third starting QB in the nfl, they missed. That level of QB play gets you nowhere. Which is why I don’t understand the pick. You talk about taking a development quarterback. Don’t you wanna bet on one with superior arm talent, mobility, etc? They drafted a fifth year senior who is not a good athlete and had a fucked up throwing motion they spent an entire year trying to rebuild.

He will be 25 years old and likely zero regular season snaps to his name going into next season. His third.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:02 pm Again, I posted a list of rookie contributors to our Super Bowl winning team. If you don’t think a second round pick can contribute year one, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

And yes, I’m guessing a defensive back in the second round has a better shot of contributing than the guy who ended up being 4th string QB.
It's ridiculous to say, "We were good, we didn't need a 2nd round pick".

We struggled due to lack of depth in the secondary and offensive line...but no one a 2nd round pick could have helped with that, right?

It was a bad pick for the situation we were in and it will be worse if he forces us to keep Gabbert and/or Griffin.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Also, such a low floor QB isn't the type that people usually take a project QB, which was the criticism when he was drafted.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'm just wondering how many Buc QB's that never even started 20 games, so one could say we have a long list of so called failed quarterbacks.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Baker Mayfield was available for free for months. Trask will never sniff his jock. There is no advantage whatsoever Trask offers now or in the future being on the roster. He may actually hurt us by getting a spot on the 53 by default because of draft position. I would absolutely love to be wrong. But it would floor me if he is ever even an average NFL starter.

Malik Willis was drafted much later than Trask and has a much better developmental projection. Would trade Trask for him in a second.

I’m sure people remember our secondary for most of the year last season? Or the Oline in the playoffs? A second rounder couldn’t have helped? Huh?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

This conversation should be DoA.

Again (4th time I think).

* We had/have a short window to be championship caliber team last year.

* We had Brady under contract for another year.

* We had 2 * iOL as UFA; Cappa and Jensen. Both of them were key contributors.

* We have been enormously lucky with OL injuries compared to the rest of the league.

* The Chiefs needed an entire new OL rebuild including a Center. They were one pick in front of us. We could have trivially moved up in front of them with our 4th. I was watching the draft as we were closing in on a KC/us saying over and over “move up…they’re going to draft Creed Humphrey.” We don’t. To no one’s surprise, they draft Creed Humphrey.

* To what should also be no one’s surprise, Humphrey was almost tied for #2 All Pro vote-getter as a Center…as a Rookie… He might have been the best at the position in the league (as a Rookie…like Wirfs). Humphrey was a mega high floor, high ceiling iOL (when I reviewed him two years ago before he declared he was coming back, he was right there with Ragnow as the best Center prospect I had seen) and we desperately needed iOL for depth to replace Cappa/Jensen for this small SB window we have…for post-Brady.

———

The Trask pick didn’t make any sense even in isolation at the time and it’s looking worse as time wears on. In the context mentioned above?…it’s not Agauyo-level WTF, but it’s the kind of head-scratcher that should leave a bald spot.
NeezDuts

Post by NeezDuts »

I hope we build an all time great defense with trask as our starter. Then he plays like shit but we win the super bowl anyway. Then all your license plates will say trask Chevrolet for the next 20 years. And I’ll laugh
Kress

Post by Kress »

NeezDuts wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:40 am I hope we build an all time great defense with trask as our starter. Then he plays like shit but we win the super bowl anyway. Then all your license plates will say trask Chevrolet for the next 20 years. And I’ll laugh
I hope I win a gazillion dollar lottery. Then your license plate has my name on it - because I will have purchased and therefore own the entire state - plus we win the Super Bowl, World Series, and the Stanley Cup, then have a boat parade with all of the boats being named after me because I, well, own everything.

Equally likely to happen.
Kress

Post by Kress »

NeezDuts wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:40 am I hope we build an all time great defense with trask as our starter. Then he plays like shit but we win the super bowl anyway. Then all your license plates will say trask Chevrolet for the next 20 years. And I’ll laugh
I hope I win a gazillion dollar lottery. Then your license plate has my name on it - because I will have purchased and therefore own the entire state - plus we win the Super Bowl, World Series, and the Stanley Cup, then have a boat parade with all of the boats being named after me because I, well, own everything.

Equally likely to happen.
Nano

Post by Nano »

It will be interesting to see when Trask plays during the first preseason game. Should give us a glimpse of how the staff still views him. If we trot out Gabbert, Griffin, and then Trask...shit. Why even bother at that point lol.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Our first rounder barely recorded any snaps in the most crucial games, but yeah, our second rounder was totally going to bring us another ring. Okay guys.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Doctor wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:34 am Our first rounder barely recorded any snaps in the most crucial games, but yeah, our second rounder was totally going to bring us another ring. Okay guys.
He started 6 games. He absolutely contributed, as did our 3rd and 4th round pick.

Weird stretch to try to argue additional secondary or offensive line depth would have had no positive impact when we got desperate enough to sign the corpse of Richard Sherman.

Trask wasn't even our scout team QB while taking a roster spot.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

It's not the disappointment with the pick, it's the suggestion that it was the tipping point of the whole season or entire future of the franchise.

That's just silly.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

_MB_ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:50 am It's not the disappointment with the pick, it's the suggestion that it was the tipping point of the whole season or entire future of the franchise.

That's just silly.
People tend to be extreme on message boards. Just like I don't think that one bad pass in training camp means his 1 year ground up rebuild as a failure...or a good pre-season game would mean his doubters are wrong.

I think it's a logical take, considering the place of the franchise, that a 2nd round pick should have been used on a contributing player. I also understand the want to get the next QB up after Brady.

It's a strange take to say as an absolute that a 2nd round pick for depth wouldn't have helped at all considering all the injuries we suffered last season.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:56 am
_MB_ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:50 am It's not the disappointment with the pick, it's the suggestion that it was the tipping point of the whole season or entire future of the franchise.

That's just silly.
People tend to be extreme on message boards. Just like I don't think that one bad pass in training camp means his 1 year ground up rebuild as a failure...or a good pre-season game would mean his doubters are wrong.

I think it's a logical take, considering the place of the franchise, that a 2nd round pick should have been used on a contributing player. I also understand the want to get the next QB up after Brady.

It's a strange take to say as an absolute that a 2nd round pick for depth wouldn't have helped at all considering all the injuries we suffered last season.
It's too much second guessing for me.

But at this point it would be hilarious if he looks great during the preseason.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

_MB_ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:00 am
It's too much second guessing for me.

But at this point it would be hilarious if he looks great during the preseason.
Most who dislike it now, hated it then...and the ones defending it the most, lauded the pick at the time.

I wouldn't be shocked tbh.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Trask is an odd hill for people to die on in here.
Don't tread on me
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:47 am Trask is an odd hill for people to die on in here.
It's just giving Trask the benefit of a doubt. And given that less than 1% of posters here don't attend training camp practices to watch him love and form their own opinions, anyone who is slinging mud around here is either playing hindsight with positional needs and/or has unrealistic expectations.

The hindsight positional griping is bothersome to me. Could we have used a second round corner last year, obviously. Did we know that at the time during and around the draft, of course not; we were returning all three young starting corners from a Superbowl-winning defense. Why would we draft a second round corner to sit on the bench and play special teams? Because at the time, drafting a corner would have been a poor decision.

It's no different than those who refuse to get off Creed Humphrey's jock (who was taken before our pick in the second round in any case, and we drafted Hainsey to replace Jensen in the third to address the same need).

Anyone can play the 20/20 positional needs game. It doesn't make you smart or clever -- it makes you bitter and small-minded.

Back to Trask, sorry for ranting. I also am hopeful that he gets his shit together to at least win a backup job, and I'm not going to say he was a wasted pick just yet. He played well in college when given the chance, and I would be willing to give him the same chance as a pro.
Snake

Post by Snake »

If Trask doesn't win the backup QB job out of camp, it either means he's awful or the coaching staff is still clinging to an antiquated idea of VETERAN-NESS provided by Gabbert. Because Gabbert is plain bad. If you can't take his job, you're even worse!