Akiem Hicks: Signed.

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Caradoc

Re: Akiem Hicks: Signed.

Post by Caradoc »

MJW wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:03 pm
The Outsider wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:14 pm Yeah, as others have said I see Hicks/Hall being a two-man rotation to replace Suh's snaps. Hopefully not being a 3 down player will keep Hicks healthy, because when he is healthy he's really fucking good.
Exactly.

Hicks on Running Downs
Hall on Passing Downs
Nacho and perhaps Deadrin Senat providing depth

I'd feel better if we had one more solid depth piece in the mix there, but Bowles can cook up enough diverse looks to cover.
I have a Mr. Gholston here on line one.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Caradoc wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:25 am
MJW wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:03 pm

Exactly.

Hicks on Running Downs
Hall on Passing Downs
Nacho and perhaps Deadrin Senat providing depth

I'd feel better if we had one more solid depth piece in the mix there, but Bowles can cook up enough diverse looks to cover.
I have a Mr. Gholston here on line one.
He's the "third" guy in the 3-4. Him or Nelson. In reality, usually Bowles only has two guys in three point stances - Vea and now Hicks/Hall. Gholston doesn't really take reps from those two. Sometimes but not usually.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Dread

Post by Dread »

Gholston has been playing at over 300lbs the past couple of seasons. He plays the 5T in our base 3-4 and inside at DT when he's on the field in a traditional 4 man DLine. Which I agree is more rare since Gholston makes his bones vs the run.

Nelson is strictly an OLB in base or DE in a traditional 4 man Dline. I've never seen Nelson play as the 3rd Dlinemen (5T) in base 3-4.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I may be reading too much into things. But to me it seems this signing allows Hall to take those pass rush reps from Gholston.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:03 pm I may be reading too much into things. But to me it seems this signing allows Hall to take those pass rush reps from Gholston.
Hall can be used as a swing backup for either Gholston or Nicks on early downs, then as an interior rusher in nickel. But I agree with you, he's probably going to take Gholston's snaps on third down.

I'm fine with all of the above. Keep our guys fresh and rotate liberally. It takes a village to play well in the front 7.