The Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
mdb1958

Re: The Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread

Post by mdb1958 »

Just like ever year, I'll be scanning the practice squads saying we need to grab that guy!

Best thing we can do now is try and move these three picks to next year.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Looks like we just moved up into the 6th.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Another TE over depth on offensive and defensive line is not where I would have gone, but it’s the sixth round.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Ko Kieft

Two Y type TEs drafted. Looks like we're going to put an emphasis on running the ball more.

I still think Gronk plays in 2022.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I love this pick. He's a guard who plays tight end. Let's line up in 13 with Gronk, Otton, and this kid and let them stop Lenny.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

MJW wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:27 pm I love this pick. He's a guard who plays tight end. Let's line up in 13 with Gronk, Otton, and this kid and let them stop Lenny.
Luke Stocker type?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:07 pm MDB what do you think about Bo Melton? Could be an upgrade over Darden?
Got nothin.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

What did this TE cost?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:29 pm
MJW wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:27 pm I love this pick. He's a guard who plays tight end. Let's line up in 13 with Gronk, Otton, and this kid and let them stop Lenny.
Luke Stocker type?
As I recall Stocker took two 3rds.
MJW

Post by MJW »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:29 pm
Luke Stocker type?
Stocker could catch a little at Tennessee. I could see some block and release goal line stuff with Kieft (he scored a TD that way last year), but the guy is basically a 6th or 7th offensive lineman.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Some names for our last pick:

Carson Strong
Rasheed Walker
Thayer Munford
Dohnovan West
David Anenih
Christopher Hinton
Markquese Bell
Cameron Dicker

I'd love to see JoJo Doman here (GBR) but he makes no sense in the scheme.

Christopher Allen (EDGE, Alabama) is a top 50 talent, but I'm pretty sure he's a rapist.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Rasheed Walker would be great.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

MJW wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:05 pm Some names for our last pick:

Carson Strong
Rasheed Walker
Thayer Munford
Dohnovan West
David Anenih
Christopher Hinton
Markquese Bell
Cameron Dicker

I'd love to see JoJo Doman here (GBR) but he makes no sense in the scheme.

Christopher Allen (EDGE, Alabama) is a top 50 talent, but I'm pretty sure he's a rapist.
JoJo doesn't fit the scheme but he would play every special team and deepen our backer/safety depth.

I wouldn't hate it.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Some depth on the DL, I’m good with it. Another draft in the books.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Only vaguely have looked into each of these prospects. I don't know enough about the guys we passed on to have an opinion on that. But some initial, pretty shallow thoughts:

Hall - Explosive, violent, good motor and very capable swim. Early and long downs he'll struggle 3 tech and in. He'll need to play heads up over tackle or 5 early and long downs to have any hope of sustaining run fits (at least at this point). But he can be a problem for plodding Guards in sub-package pass rush and with enough bend to attack the B gap arc. Lets call it a B.

Goedeke - I really like this pick. I've watched a bit of his film. I think the kid may very well challenge for LG in TC. Given his tape, I think its realistic that he may be the best of the bunch. His hand placement/reset, his consistent marriage of upper half and lower half, his torque generation (he can grip and turn guys and should be able to quick-set > anchor in Pass Pro inside). He looks like a guy who is a great fit for our run scheme. Lets call it a B+

White - I like it a lot more than the Vaughn pick but I don't love it (don't hate it like the Vaughn pick though). Looks to potentially be a capable player in the passing game with some make-you-miss in space...but Pass Protection is a question. He's not even close to the sort of tackle-breaker, balance-through-contact runner that Jones was. He looks like a Zone player who takes advantage of crappy defenses by bouncing wide (not something for this scheme nor that translates to NFL success). He's a piece that may see some snaps in the passing game if his Pass Protection tightens up. Lets call it a generous C- as this is the kind of player that you should be able to find in the late 4th to late 5th.

Otton - Overdraft. Move TE player with some ability to get open and catch the football underneath. He's not a legit in-line player so I'm assuming Gronk is coming back. He may supplant Brate on early 12 packages where actual move TE blocks will be deployed or faked in play-action. Generous C-.

Camarda - Punter that can kickoff. This is an overdrafted salary cap move to sign Gronk. Capable in both of those phases so what the hell; D instead of an F.

McCollum - Freakiest of freaks when it comes to athletic profile. Perfect spot for this pick even if he just plays Special Teams. We play so much Zone though. Athletic profile is secondary to processing, eye discipline, route recognition so what does his read > react > drop to landmark > recognize > click/close or flip/run look like? No clue. A for the ceiling and for this being the area to draft these guys.

+++++++++++++

No clue on the other dudes.

First 2 picks and 5th pick are solid. Sub-package and rotation DL + Possible LG starter (good depth at worst) + DB depth and (hopefully ST juice). Mid-guys are a mix of overdrafted sub-package without a ton of upside and cap relief to sign Gronk.

B-minus-ish to B draft I guess (but I'm not terribly confident in any of the crap I just wrote). If Hall provides some 3-5T juice and Goedeke starts at LG this year, then call it a solid B draft. If they both produce, then scale it up from there.

Regardless, much better draft than last year.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Horrible article. Pretty entertaining.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/04/30/nfl-d ... magination
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Just found out yesterday that Zach Thomas G is Cameron Thomas's DE/DT older brother, again on the same team.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

My thoughts on the picks after sleeping on the whole thing…

Logan Hall - Probably the right pick at 33, I’m not sold the decision to trade down was necessarily correct. though I like it more than I did Thursday. But Hall was easily the best combination of fit and need on the board. I was hoping for another bigger interior lineman type but I’m very excited to see how Hall can play as the three-tech next to Vea eating up two blockers.

Luke Goedeke - I was in the minority of not really stressing about guard, but I like this guy. Don’t love him, I don’t see the upside of an Ali Marpet here but he seems like he should fit and do just fine for a few years. Jason Licht has earned trust with day one offensive lineman, and I am very whelmed by this pick.

Rachaad White - I admit to not knowing much about this guy before taking him. But it seems like he is agile and can make things happen as a pass catcher. We are looking for someone to fill that role behind Fournette so the opportunity is there for this kid. However, as much as Licht has my trust for drafting lineman early, the opposite could be said for runningbacks. For now he can compete with the aging Giovani Bernard for snaps and he may have to earn Tom Brady’s trust before seeing any meaningful snaps.

Cade Otton - I’m whelmed enough. We needed to draft a tight end regardless of Gronk’s decision, but Trey McBride was the only one I really liked as a plus starting TE in this draft. Sadly he was gone before our second pick and other TEs from the next best group were starting to get gobbled up right before this pick. Otton and Daniel Bellinger were the only ones left from the next best group so it was smart to get one here. I think Otton will do just fine as a TE2 for us and nothing wrong with that. I’m still keeping an eye on the TE position next April.

Jake Camarda - I’m not going to say much outside of what’s already been said. I just don’t like drafting punters and kickers in the first 5 rounds. If Camarda can come in and do the job just fine at a cheaper salary than Pinion than great, but I would rather have a backup offensive lineman than a punter. Especially when we ultimately passed on our last pressing need and had to trade away future picks to move back up and fix that mistake. Just a poor use of assets here by Licht and like with RBs, the kicking/punting asset management in April is one of his few questionable traits.

Zyon McCollum - Easily the most interesting pick in the draft. Freak athlete with some college production and one of the draft crushes for many in the league. At worst this dude should he a good special teams gunner with that speed. Obviously not an ideal day one starter but we didn’t need a day one starter at corner. We needed young depth with potential to replace free agents down the line. This is the best possible candidate for that job. It’s just too bad we had to give up a 4th next year to get him because we drafted a punter. We still need another veteran free agent here though for this season.

Ko Kieft - Somehow the most bizzare pick in a draft in which we selected a punter in the 4th round. Most people were shocked he got drafted, let alone a team gave up two picks to move up and get him. If I’m being honest this dude doesn’t seem like an NFL player, but the Bucs seem to love his ferocious love for blocking. We clearly love big angry mean gingers. I saw the Bucs are looking at using him as a blocker out of the backfield, which is interesting but he may need that to make the roster if Gronk returns or another vet TE is added.

Andre Anthony - 3.5 sacks in 3 games last year before injury is intriguing. Problem is he was never that productive before then and will be 30 by the time his rookie contract expires. I wont slam a 7th round pick too much though, if he even makes the roster one season as a backup that’s a win.

All in all, Jason Licht clearly had a list of things to grab in this draft and checked all the boxes. How good are all these players? We shall see, I dont think we have a future star in this class but I think we will get some production and use from this class.