Russell Wilson: Bronco

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
real bucs fan

Re: Russell Wilson: Bronco

Post by real bucs fan »

Stafford and the Rams winning the Super Bowl really made prices for vet QBs go up.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Seattle just opened their future window up big time. Great deal for them with all those future picks. Tank 2022, hire new HC for 2023, and let him hand pick his QB from a stacked class while surrounding him with position player talent. Well done.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I'm sorry but color me unimpressed and uninspired with Seattle's end of the bargain. They got fleeced. A bunch of replacement level players along with a few picks for a QB that won 100 games faster than anyone, has stayed healthy sans 3 games last season, has won a Super Bowl and gone to another, and is consistently one of the best in the game. Denver stole Wilson.

And does anyone really think Seattle is going to improve upon the level of success they've accomplished? Put this in perspective. Since Wilson was drafted in 2012, Seattle has had the 2nd highest winning percentage of all NFL teams behind only New England. They, along with KC, San Fran, LA Rams, Denver, and New England are the only teams to make 2 Super Bowls in that time frame.

If they are hoping this package nets them anywhere close to the success had with Carroll/Wilson, yea I like winning the lottery too.

You ever notice that when a great QB changes teams, the team they left more often than not ends up much worse than the team they went to?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:00 pm I'm sorry but color me unimpressed and uninspired with Seattle's end of the bargain. They got fleeced. A bunch of replacement level players along with a few picks for a QB that won 100 games faster than anyone, has stayed healthy sans 3 games last season, has won a Super Bowl and gone to another, and is consistently one of the best in the game. Denver stole Wilson.

And does anyone really think Seattle is going to improve upon the level of success they've accomplished? Put this in perspective. Since Wilson was drafted in 2012, Seattle has had the 2nd highest winning percentage of all NFL teams behind only New England. They, along with KC, San Fran, LA Rams, Denver, and New England are the only teams to make 2 Super Bowls in that time frame.

If they are hoping this package nets them anywhere close to the success had with Carroll/Wilson, yea I like winning the lottery too.

You ever notice that when a great QB changes teams, the team they left more often than not ends up much worse than the team they went to?
Obviously, time will tell and if that is their plan, I do understand it. But they better stick with that plan and those picks better be solid or this can backfire big time. It's definitely a risk but a risk their front office was willing to take. In 3 years, I guess we'll all know how this turns out.

Even if they had stuck with Wilson and worked to reload some other way, like off-loading some other high $ contracts, it seems they'd still be a good 3 years away from any hope of a serious run. By then, Wilson would be another 3 years older and possibly in decline. After all, not every QB is going to be a Tom Brady when it comes to longevity.

So they choose this route. People can fault them for it if/when 2024/25 comes around and they're still mired in mediocrity.
Don't tread on me
nybf

Post by nybf »

PetePierson wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:41 am Brady traded and plays in Foxborough the following season?

Stafford plays Detroit?

Wilson says hello to the 12th Man in a different uniform?

Coincidence? I think not.
Wentz traded and plays back in Indy. AND Philly.

:geek:
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I don't think it's a bad trade for Denver necessarily. Just that I would have questions surrounding Wilson for that amount of return considering his play style. He had the Seahawks in pretty good position for multiple years in a row prior to last season. I would be worried about his body holding up though, and the fact that Denver will not have any young talent coming in to support him.

I just think it's a great move for Seattle considering the landscape and where they're at. They added several impact picks, a couple impact players, and carved out a ton of cap room all at the same time. They're in position to pounce on a franchise QB prospect in the 2023 draft and can surround that player with multiple position players all at the same time.

If I were going to bet on which one of those franchises goes to a Super Bowl sooner? I'd pick Seattle.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Who are these "impact players" Seattle received from Denver?
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:09 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:00 pm I'm sorry but color me unimpressed and uninspired with Seattle's end of the bargain. They got fleeced. A bunch of replacement level players along with a few picks for a QB that won 100 games faster than anyone, has stayed healthy sans 3 games last season, has won a Super Bowl and gone to another, and is consistently one of the best in the game. Denver stole Wilson.

Obviously, time will tell and if that is their plan, I do understand it. But they better stick with that plan and those picks better be solid or this can backfire big time. It's definitely a risk but a risk their front office was willing to take. In 3 years, I guess we'll all know how this turns out.

Even if they had stuck with Wilson and worked to reload some other way, like off-loading some other high $ contracts, it seems they'd still be a good 3 years away from any hope of a serious run. By then, Wilson would be another 3 years older and possibly in decline. After all, not every QB is going to be a Tom Brady when it comes to longevity.

So they choose this route. People can fault them for it if/when 2024/25 comes around and they're still mired in mediocrity.
Kind of in the same boat. I don't believe they were going to be contending for either conference championship or Super Bowl any time soon. If you're just playing out the string, what's the point so they made a move that gives them a chance to compete again in a few years instead of just being "ok"....

Time will tell
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:09 pm

The equivalent would've been GB giving Rodgers away in 2016. Or the Saints giving Brees away in 2012. Or the Steelers giving up Ben in 2015. It would've been unheard of and any thought of it would've been crazy.

Also, think back to those 3 QBs & Brady when they were all 33. I guarantee you that you never classified one of them as "aging" in their age 33 season. All 4 have been more oft injured than Wilson has been to that point. 3 of the 4 have missed the post season more than Wilson to that point as well.

Simply put, this is a complete 180 to team building and competing in the NFL. The Steelers, Saints, Packers, Pats realized this. Best chance to compete is have a QB. The Seahawks are telling their fanbase forget for the foreseeable future and possibly beyond.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Noah Fant is more than just a “average player”. The tight end game has really changed from the late 90’s to now. Tight ends are extremely valuable when they’re essentially wide receivers with better blocking skills.
MJW

Post by MJW »

BJJ34 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:13 pm Noah Fant is more than just a “average player”. The tight end game has really changed from the late 90’s to now. Tight ends are extremely valuable when they’re essentially wide receivers with better blocking skills.
Fant hasn't quite lived up to his potential yet, but that potential is still Jimmy Graham high, and he's still only 24. And even if he is what he is and that's that, he's still a 70-850-10 level weapon with competent quarterbacking (not saying he'll get it in Seattle right now though.)

I would go so far as to call him the key to the trade.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:13 am Stafford and the Rams winning the Super Bowl really made prices for vet QBs go up.
IDK if it made their prices go up as much as it made GMs more willing to pay those prices
nybf

Post by nybf »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:20 am
real bucs fan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:13 am Stafford and the Rams winning the Super Bowl really made prices for vet QBs go up.
IDK if it made their prices go up as much as it made GMs more willing to pay those prices
Wtf do you think drives prices?
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't think it's up as much as paying it has become less sacrilege. It's a copy cat league. NFL is basically keeping up with the joneses and "if they did it I can".