Kiki Neal Deserves His Own Thread, And I'm Here To Give It To Him

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Rocker

Re: Kiki Neal Deserves His Own Thread, And I'm Here To Give It To Him

Post by Rocker »

Terry Tate wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:48 pm
Rocker wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:26 pm I'll happily take the guy that gives up 4 inches and 40 pounds to Mike Evans and was still able to level him in a highlight reel play we've all seen before. Dude plays hard AF and hopefully infects the DB room with that style of football. This is a plus move and anyone saying otherwise is fishing for votes.
The question has never been what he was capable of. The question what he is capable of now.

Personally, I think it was a good signing. He is still fairly young and has experience, plus he is cheap. If nothing else, he'd be a great backup. He could be a steal. The floor of this deal is low and the ceiling is very high.

Young enough with proven ability in the role he’ll be assigned. Health being the major factor, I’d be lying if I said (recency bias) I’m fully confident in a full season, but I maintain that this was a heck of an addition, and I’m excited to see what he can do in a Todd Bowles scheme.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Rocker wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:26 pm I'll happily take the guy that gives up 4 inches and 40 pounds to Mike Evans and was still able to level him in a highlight reel play we've all seen before. Dude plays hard AF and hopefully infects the DB room with that style of football. This is a plus move and anyone saying otherwise is fishing for votes.
The question has never been what he was capable of. The question what he is capable of now.

Personally, I think it was a good signing. He is still fairly young and has experience, plus he is cheap. If nothing else, he'd be a great backup. He could be a steal. The floor of this deal is low and the ceiling is very high.
It's lost on a lot of people that the guy who drafted him out of college and coached him for 4 years in Atlanta signed him in Dallas and immediately moved him from the position he was "proven" at because of the range he lost due to his multiple serious lower leg injuries.

The only question has been what does he have left. He was okay in Dallas at a new position but his lack of range showed. My guess is he's going to make his name in Tampa on STs and on the field on 4th & short/goal. The only way he plays a lot down to down is if multiple safeties in front of him get hurt.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:15 am

It's lost on a lot of people that the guy who drafted him out of college and coached him for 4 years in Atlanta signed him in Dallas and immediately moved him from the position he was "proven" at because of the range he lost due to his multiple serious lower leg injuries.

The only question has been what does he have left. He was okay in Dallas at a new position but his lack of range showed. My guess is he's going to make his name in Tampa on STs and on the field on 4th & short/goal. The only way he plays a lot down to down is if multiple safeties in front of him get hurt.
I wouldn't say it's lost on people, especially the people at OBP who made the move. I don't think anyone here expects him to be roaming centerfield or manning up with wideouts all the way down the field. OBP most likely sees him as a guy who can contribute in sub packages. Nickel linebacker, etc. The odd blitz. I think a good comp would be Deone Bucannon in Bowles's Arizona defenses. He has a role to play, but barring injuries it'll probably be a specific one.

I think Logan Ryan is going to be "that guy."
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

MJW wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:27 am I think Logan Ryan is going to be "that guy."
Logan Ryan will be the guy that won't let Cooper Kupp get past him on a last second bomb.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:27 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:15 am

I wouldn't say it's lost on people, especially the people at OBP who made the move. I don't think anyone here expects him to be roaming centerfield or manning up with wideouts all the way down the field. OBP most likely sees him as a guy who can contribute in sub packages. Nickel linebacker, etc. The odd blitz. I think a good comp would be Deone Bucannon in Bowles's Arizona defenses. He has a role to play, but barring injuries it'll probably be a specific one.

I think Logan Ryan is going to be "that guy."
Neal also said he gained about 30 pounds to be a linebacker last year. He is planning to lose that weight to go back to his safety weight. We don't know how that extra bulk affected him. He was playing linebacker in Atlanta 70% of the time or Quinn claims. It's a blurred line between a strong safety in the box and a linebacker.
Quinn then went on to say that the position actually shouldn’t be all that new to Neal, although he might not have been aware that he was already familiar with his “new” role.

“He’s played a number of the positions when he was in Atlanta,” Quinn explained. “We just tricked him and didn’t call him a linebacker. We said ‘You’re a safety.’ I never told him he was a linebacker, but he was a linebacker on 70 percent of the snaps.”
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/7/ ... linebacker
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

No way in hell Neal gained 30 pounds last season to play LB. He was already playing at about 215 for his career. Not believing this man put on 30 pounds in 1 offseason. Nope.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I don't think we'll leave Neal exposed in coverage if/when he gets snaps on defense.

He's a box Safety, another Mark Barron type in terms of where he's effective and where he's below average.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

There's a term for the kind of role/position he plays but damn it if it's not coming to mind right now.

Either way, another very Licht type signing. I like it. He'll make a few big plays for us, we'll cheer, it'll be fun.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Shh. I’m watching Keanu.