A WAY too early discussion on team needs for 2022

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: A WAY too early discussion on team needs for 2022

Post by MJW »

Monero wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:26 pm
Nobody wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:18 pm Another thought.

What a calamity (and absolutely Bucs thing to do) if we draft Trask as the QBotF in round 2 of 2021, therefore not bulwarking our 2021 roster for a title run, and the entire coaching staff vacates the premises only to (a) leave Trask without any continuity and (b) inevitably have the next coaching regime pull the very typical "this isn't my QB, I didn't draft him/want him, so now I'm drafting my guy" shtick.
It was an absolute disaster of a draft pick that was inexcusable then, and a complete embarrassment now. There's simply no justifying the pick. The only way Licht can make up for his bungle is to at least not succumb to sunk cost fallacy and have they guts to admit a mistake and move on. If he tries to square peg Trask we could be looking at multiple years lost of viability.
I wish I hated anything as much as you hate Kyle Trask. He was a 2nd round talent we drafted in the 2nd round. Great size, plus arm, and he sure looked accurate enough in college. His delivery is funky, but so is a lot of guys. Are we winning a Superbowl with him in 2022? No. Is there a quarterback we can reasonably acquire that we'll win a Superbowl with in 2022? Probably not. I'd be fine with letting the dude making $800K take the job while we re-sign our top guys and retool our weak spots (DL, IOL, etc)
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Nobody wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:31 pm With the Brady retirement looking to be crystallizing, I think you sell like crazy in a full tear down
I know we disagree all the time, but holy fuck shit Nobody. Like wow. Also, you're going blame using our 2nd round pick on a QBOFT for us not getting a title? How many snaps did our first and third round picks have in our last playoff game again?

I actually liked Carr during our last QB opening and I like him still. Though only if the coaching staff hasn't liked what they've seen from Trask or feel he needs more time (plenty of great QBs sat awhile), but I have no reason to believe that's the case. If it is then Carr is definitely up there for me and shouldn't cost too much.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It took Brady at the helm - the greatest player of all time - and a few freak TOs in our favor for this team to NOT make the NFC championship. And it’s gonna be much worse next season.

I wouldn’t be against a tear down if we can’t replace Brady with a badass QB.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:01 pm
Nobody wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:31 pm With the Brady retirement looking to be crystallizing, I think you sell like crazy in a full tear down
I know we disagree all the time, but holy fuck shit Nobody. Like wow. Also, you're going blame using our 2nd round pick on a QBOFT for us not getting a title? How many snaps did our first and third round picks have in our last playoff game again?
That isn’t remotely what I said.

How was that your takeaway (that taking a QBotF cost us a title) from that series of posts?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Nobody wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:18 pm
What a calamity (and absolutely Bucs thing to do) if we draft Trask as the QBotF in round 2 of 2021, therefore not bulwarking our 2021 roster for a title run
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:35 pm
Nobody wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:18 pm
What a calamity (and absolutely Bucs thing to do) if we draft Trask as the QBotF in round 2 of 2021, therefore not bulwarking our 2021 roster for a title run
Your inference here is a complete non sequitur.

I shouldn't have to break this down, but here goes.

The following are truisms:

1) Drafting a QB of the future definitionally does not bulwark your roster for the present year.

2) Drafting a player who will either (a) play 300+ snaps or (b) provide insurance of replacement-level-quality-play for a key position is bulwarking your roster for the present year.

3) Doing (1) in the stead of (2) does not contain the claim "this doing (1) in the stead of (2) is responsible for us not getting a title."

Its baffling how you could put that together.

Now if you want to know what I think cost us a title...I couldn't even answer that. Because even if we did beat the Rams, we're still a looooooooooooooooong way away from a title (2 games against teams that could beat us).

Now the Rams game was as close as we got. So, if I can just drill down on the Rams game, I would say the following things are as causally connected to that loss as anything gets:

1 (by far and away the most important) - Tristan Wirfs going down. If Wirfs was in I pick the Bucs to win that game. With him out, I went 4 point game in favor of the Rams. You can throw Godwin in here as well.

2 - DSmith deciding to revert to his terrible form of yore and have his worst game in 1.5 years.

3 - Both Edwards locking onto the seam vert as 2 Deep Safety and not splitting the difference between the boundary vert and the seam vert (therefore giving up a huge TD on 3rd and 19). OR. That not being a 2 Read call. A 2 Read call against that formation/personnel grouping and their need to get 20 + is an infinitely better call than 2 Zone. 2 Read defends that call as Edwards can shade to the seam vert and CD3 matches the boundary vert.

4 - Abandoning the running game and not playing a bulk of 12 and 13 unbalanced right personnel to help out Wells (and playaction off of it).

5 - Tyler Johnson playing terribly in key situations.

6 - Whitehead being off the field for the final 2 play drive against us (with SMB and White being on the field instead...when Whitehead is a better cover player than both of them) + final defensive call (which we've scrutinized in detail in the other thread so I won't relitigate it here).

Those 6 things are as causally connected to "why we lost that Rams game."

* EDIT - And the entire point of that post was to observe the giant kick in the pants it would be if the trope of "new coaching staff rejects the QBotF of the prior regime" is realized if/when Arians et al ejects from the likely impending dumpster fire. That trope very likely has little to do with Trask and more to do with the trope (which is a lot about how self-important Head Coaches can be).
Monero

Post by Monero »

We were an unprepared football team vs the Rams on both sides of the ball. Injuries and a mismanaged draft class meant that we couldn't just brute force coaching and perpetration deficiencies like we have since Brady got here. We never had the ability to outsmart or scheme opposing teams, so once we came up short on talent, everything collapsed. How anyone can still justify the Trask pick is beyond me given the context of the team and I imagine together with the people that are unwilling to acknowledge our coaching disadvantages would form a perfect circle on a Venn diagram. Give Brady coaching that he doesn't have to carry, and we win that Rams game even with all the injuries we had. I can only imagine how bitter Brady feels about that loss.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Monero wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:43 am We were an unprepared football team vs the Rams on both sides of the ball. Injuries and a mismanaged draft class meant that we couldn't just brute force coaching and perpetration deficiencies like we have since Brady got here. We never had the ability to outsmart or scheme opposing teams, so once we came up short on talent, everything collapsed. How anyone can still justify the Trask pick is beyond me given the context of the team and I imagine together with the people that are unwilling to acknowledge our coaching disadvantages would form a perfect circle on a Venn diagram. Give Brady coaching that he doesn't have to carry, and we win that Rams game even with all the injuries we had. I can only imagine how bitter Brady feels about that loss.
LUGZ, youre about two posts away from meeting my very bestest friend.

So here's your options:

A) Fess up, make a public apology and take a vacation.

B) Continue to deflect/deny/ignore and take a lifetime ban.

The ball is in your court until noon on Championship Sunday. Man up, son.
Monero

Post by Monero »

Rocker wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:01 am
Monero wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:43 am We were an unprepared football team vs the Rams on both sides of the ball. Injuries and a mismanaged draft class meant that we couldn't just brute force coaching and perpetration deficiencies like we have since Brady got here. We never had the ability to outsmart or scheme opposing teams, so once we came up short on talent, everything collapsed. How anyone can still justify the Trask pick is beyond me given the context of the team and I imagine together with the people that are unwilling to acknowledge our coaching disadvantages would form a perfect circle on a Venn diagram. Give Brady coaching that he doesn't have to carry, and we win that Rams game even with all the injuries we had. I can only imagine how bitter Brady feels about that loss.
LUGZ, youre about two posts away from meeting my very bestest friend.

So here's your options:

A) Fess up, make a public apology and take a vacation.

B) Continue to deflect/deny/ignore and take a lifetime ban.

The ball is in your court until noon on Championship Sunday. Man up, son.
Monero

Post by Monero »

I deeply and humbly apologize for making an alt account and peacefully interacting on this message board. I truly hope that one day this vile act can be forgiven. My good Christian name has been tarnished due to me being an anonymous and civil poster and I'm going to work hard every day to bring honor back to my name.

For those that I have maimed and scarred with my benign comments over the past several days, I'm truly sorry.

May my death give peace to those I have irrevocably harmed.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

What the fuck?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nobody wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:12 pm 2 - DSmith deciding to revert to his terrible form of yore and have his worst game in 1.5 years.
It was weird, right? With Wirfs dominating on his side, it's almost like Brady was able to cheat to his right while Lumbersaurus used his fatness to drive rushers wide, which is literally the only thing he can do as a pass blocker. Between that and Brady's quick release, blindside rushers didn't have enough time to get home. The second Wirfs wasn't there, and Brady couldn't cheat to his side anymore, Smith returned to being a huge liability. Almost instantly!

We need to figure out what happened, it's a mystery. I've been assured by some in our fanbase that Donovan Smith is really good now.
Let's roll another joint
OneBuc

Post by OneBuc »

this whole episode with Schefter and Darlington has given me a bad taste for these sorts of reporters - why not give the guy (TB12) his space and time to deliver the news - why the need to get the scoop....?
MJW

Post by MJW »

OneBuc wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:36 am this whole episode with Schefter and Darlington has given me a bad taste for these sorts of reporters - why not give the guy (TB12) his space and time to deliver the news - why the need to get the scoop....?
Because their success as "reporters" is measured in how many clicks they get for their stories. More Clicks = More Ad Revenue for ESPN or whoever. Imagine if Schefter waited 30 seconds to check with Brady's agent and confirm the story, and in that 30 seconds some wanker from Fox ran with it and got those sweet clicks? Jemele Hill would have her dick up his ass so quickly he'd think he was back in boarding school.

The only way this changes is if people refuse to engage these stories until they're verified. And we know there's no chance of that happening.
Let's roll another joint
BLT

Post by BLT »

Monero wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:18 am I deeply and humbly apologize for making an alt account and peacefully interacting on this message board. I truly hope that one day this vile act can be forgiven. My good Christian name has been tarnished due to me being an anonymous and civil poster and I'm going to work hard every day to bring honor back to my name.

For those that I have maimed and scarred with my benign comments over the past several days, I'm truly sorry.

May my death give peace to those I have irrevocably harmed.

El oh el.
nybf

Post by nybf »

The jig is up once again for lugz. Surely it's a coincidence we got our first new member since yet another lugz account.

Should probably take a real close look at rayshawn.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

MJW wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:08 am
OneBuc wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:36 am this whole episode with Schefter and Darlington has given me a bad taste for these sorts of reporters - why not give the guy (TB12) his space and time to deliver the news - why the need to get the scoop....?
Because their success as "reporters" is measured in how many clicks they get for their stories. More Clicks = More Ad Revenue for ESPN or whoever. Imagine if Schefter waited 30 seconds to check with Brady's agent and confirm the story, and in that 30 seconds some wanker from Fox ran with it and got those sweet clicks? Jemele Hill would have her dick up his ass so quickly he'd think he was back in boarding school.

The only way this changes is if people refuse to engage these stories until they're verified. And we know there's no chance of that happening.
I’ll never see this happening because we (general public) are so thirsty for anything NFL, we’ll bite on the smallest of bait and create multiple threads with multiple pages given the smallest rumor.
Remember when Favre was going to be a Buc, or when Leveon Bell was going to report before game one… no, before the third game, no, before the deadline to lose an accrued season.
Reporters throw anything at the wall and we will watch that paint dry, happily.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Last night I had the strangest dream.

Schefter tweeted that Leftwich passed away. And no one could confirm it.

Sorry there was no sailing involved.
Last edited by nybf on Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mod LV

Post by Mod LV »

You know what? I don't care what this asshole does or if he apologizes.

LUGZ/ATrain/Leon Phelps/Monero, bi-posting is enough of an offense on its own. Somehow you've gotten to quad-posting. Not only that, you've been toxic the ENTIRE time. I reached out to you what? Half a dozen times? At least? To help keep your worst impulses in check. So that it did not come to this. I warned you what would happen if it continued. It's not my job to babysit you. But don't worry. If you get by because of IP's etc, the bullshit detectors will sniff you out.

You're done. For life.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

BOOM!
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Mod LV wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:24 am You know what? I don't care what this asshole does or if he apologizes.

LUGZ/ATrain/Leon Phelps/Monero, bi-posting is enough of an offense on its own. Somehow you've gotten to quad-posting. Not only that, you've been toxic the ENTIRE time. I reached out to you what? Half a dozen times? At least? To help keep your worst impulses in check. So that it did not come to this. I warned you what would happen if it continued. It's not my job to babysit you. But don't worry. If you get by because of IP's etc, the bullshit detectors will sniff you out.

You're done. For life.

Alderaan/half the board. Same difference?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:21 pm The ROLB replacement is already on the roster, JTS.

As far as roster construction, alot could change based on our coordinators. It wouldn't shock me if one of them left, and if they do, we could be looking at schematic changes on their side of the ball.

Did not we spend much of the time with two interior defensive linemen and two 3-4 OLB's?

How many times did we get to the QB just rushing four - if it was super low I'm thinking Bowles would have a tough time with 5 shut down DB's.

Year after year the DT/DE names we could use go to others and we get the bargain basement low market no names to have a competition to make our roster.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

By the way, I am not against a no name making a name for himself - I actually would love it.

Does any link have a bigger prospect list than profootballnetwork?
MJW

Post by MJW »

When the dust settles, fans of, ummmm, "not household name" free agent additions are probably going to be happy with our offseason. We need more bodies than we have money to pay talented players. Some of that will come through the draft (though we only have 6 picks ATM), but a big chunk of that will be 2nd and 3rd wave (and even post camp cut) free agency.
Let's roll another joint