2022 Non In house free agents

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
mdb1958

2022 Non In house free agents

Post by mdb1958 »

Can you help me think of one that I want? A cheap stop gap or maybe a younger didnt fit.

I guess you can throw your wants in too.
Doctor

Re: 2022 Non In house free agents

Post by Doctor »

I actually really like the RB market.

We can bring back Lenny. Gordon is still doing his thing. I think both Darrell and Damian Williams can be good fits in this scheme and can catch. James Conner is out there.

You want a real wild card? Cordelle Patterson.

The rb market going to be interesting.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

We can't even afford our own rookies right now, much less free agents. Any money that we do scrounge up should used for our own dudes, imo, with an emphasis on locking up our more elite players.

But you could talk me into moderate vets like a Taven Bryan on the DL or Laken Tomlinson at OG or Rishard Higgins at WR; these names used as examples and not as specific wants or endorsements.
Max

Post by Max »

Depends on who will be our QB next season. Limited cap space means we would have to defer money to bring in any significant free agent. You don't want to do that with Trask/Gabbert at QB.

If Brady decides to come back, totally different story. Go all-in for another year. We have 82 M in potential cap space per OTC, and if Brady is back we should use every penny.

Position we could use some help:

Quality TE if Gronk isn't back

- David Njoku 12 M
- Dalton Schultz 10 M

Inside-outside flexible WR (Z in 11-personell and big-slot backup)

- Juju Smith-Schuster 8 M
- Michael Gallup 10 M
- Cedric Wilson 4 M

Veteran pass rusher on a short term deal

- Von Miller 18 M
- Chandler Jones 15 M
- Jadeveon Clowney 12 M
- Melvin Ingram 8 M

Quality DT with pass rush ability

- Calais Campbell 8 M
- Akiem Hicks 6 M

Quality swing-tackle

- Reilly Reiff 6 M
- Germain Ifedi 5 M
- Cornelius Lucas 4 M

That's the (unlikely) Brady is back all-in scenario. If he isn't, build for the future.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Cheb wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:08 pm We can't even afford our own rookies right now, much less free agents. Any money that we do scrounge up should used for our own dudes, imo, with an emphasis on locking up our more elite players.

But you could talk me into moderate vets like a Taven Bryan on the DL or Laken Tomlinson at OG or Rishard Higgins at WR; these names used as examples and not as specific wants or endorsements.
It's early. There are a number of contract tweaks we can do to free up some cap. Ultimately though I agree with you. But good teams rarely have a ton of cap, it's kind of the price you pay for having good players. It's one of the reasons the highly coveted "star QB on a rookie deal" lifehack is such an advantage.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Cheb wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:08 pm We can't even afford our own rookies right now, much less free agents. Any money that we do scrounge up should used for our own dudes, imo, with an emphasis on locking up our more elite players.

We can easily create over 60 million in cap space.

That's why it's not unrealistic, cap wise, to add Watson or Wilson.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:09 am

We can easily create over 60 million in cap space.

That's why it's not unrealistic, cap wise, to add Watson or Wilson.
I always get a chuckle out of all the hand wringing over cap space. When has cap space ever stopped a team if they truly wanted a particular player?
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

How come that is said about bringing in new players but not about keeping our players?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@PetePierson You got your priority free agents picked yet. Pete is about the least capable but then I wonder if they all are.

Weird since it's just a guess