Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

Snake

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by Snake »

Right. He wasn’t a redshirt sophomore coming out. He was a redshirt senior and he turns 24 in three weeks. If he doesn’t take the starting job by the horns, history tells us that his prospects are not very good.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:48 pm Right. He wasn’t a redshirt sophomore coming out. He was a redshirt senior and he turns 24 in three weeks. If he doesn’t take the starting job by the horns, history tells us that his prospects are not very good.
I can't imagine saying we drafted a guy in the 2nd round and he won't be ready until he's 25-26.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Huh. We drafted Pete's #Exciting QB in the first round, shoved him onto the field for 5 years, and he STILL wasn't ready!
Push the damned button already!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:29 am That isn't something you can count on in today's NFL. When is the last time a QB sat for 2 years to be groomed for the starting spot? Rodgers 15 years ago? It doesn't happen that way anymore.
Saying "it doesn't happen anymore" is a silly argument. Your mother never tell you "if all your friends jumped off a bridge?"
The NFL is cyclical and right now teams don't keep coaches that long. If HCs are barely getting 2-3 years, how can you groom a QB?
How many no groom QB failures have we seen in recent years? Mariota, Winston, Manziel, Bortles, Manuel, Tebow, Freeman, Quinn...

It's as if you are told if you unwrap your gift now there may be gold or coal, but the longer you wait the more likely it's gold. But in todays world everyone puts the "results not typical" outcomes front and center, so you only ever focus on the ones that got lucky unwrapping early and talk yourself into believing that you too are lucky.

Spoiler: You're not.

Fortunately for us we have experts called coaches, who we can defer to when we should unwrap it. As impatient children stomp their feet.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:49 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:29 am That isn't something you can count on in today's NFL. When is the last time a QB sat for 2 years to be groomed for the starting spot? Rodgers 15 years ago? It doesn't happen that way anymore.
Saying "it doesn't happen anymore" is a silly argument. Your mother never tell you "if all your friends jumped off a bridge?"
The NFL is cyclical and right now teams don't keep coaches that long. If HCs are barely getting 2-3 years, how can you groom a QB?
How many no groom QB failures have we seen in recent years? Mariota, Winston, Manziel, Bortles, Manuel, Tebow, Freeman, Quinn...

It's as if you are told if you unwrap your gift now there may be gold or coal, but the longer you wait the more likely it's gold. But in todays world everyone puts the "results not typical" outcomes front and center, so you only ever focus on the ones that got lucky unwrapping early and talk yourself into believing that you too are lucky.

Spoiler: You're not.

Fortunately for us we have experts called coaches, who we can defer to when we should unwrap it. As impatient children stomp their feet.
Saying it doesn't happen has more credibility than assuming it will. Especially when it's not something that does happen. You don't speak for the coaches like you might feel you do.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

IronDog wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:11 pm Huh. We drafted Pete's #Exciting QB in the first round, shoved him onto the field for 5 years, and he STILL wasn't ready!
He just needs more time.
BearLandBucFan

Post by BearLandBucFan »

Trask. Use the money on re-signing Cappa and Jensen
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Give me Russell with Evans and Godwin at WR and Fournette at RB.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

Here's some interesting news. If Carson Wentz is released, I would definitely be good with going after him. I know he has some up and down play, be he was once a leading candidate for the NFL MVP and I think he could do well in Tampa Bay.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... son-wentz/
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yeah you obviously take him over Trask. Or a “competition”
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think Wentz is very much the kind of guy we bring in to compete.

I could also see Kirk Cousins.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Cousins has a fully guaranteed BASE salary of $35 million. We can't afford him. He would be the automatic starter. Not competition. Guy is getting $2 million+ per game no matter what.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Washington is looking for QB, Perfect fit for Carson Wentz

I bet Bucs get one better QB than the “glass Joe” Wentz
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

HARD PASS on Wentz.

He has done nothing but prove over and over he is not a leader and not a QB a team can count on long term... and by long term I mean more than 3/4 of a season.

He lost the locker room and confidence of the coaching staff in Philly. They basically fired the coach over it and he still cried his way out of town. And now the coach that had him looking like an MVP once upon a time (and just paid a ransom for him) is giving up on him after one season?

Dude has more red flags than Ray Jay. What is wrong with you people?!
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Fuck that. If Reich of all people is giving up on Wentz already then I don't see why we need to stumble over ourselves to snag him. Come playoff time the guy is always hurt or in the off-season
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

If the Colts, whose head coach knew him well and just traded a third and first round pick for Wentz, don't think he's starting material, I won't disagree with them.

---

Moreover, I don't see how we can afford these top names you guys keep throwing around. We currently have between 3 and 7 million in cap space depending on the source you look at. Ten of our starters from last season are free agents. Unless you propose to pay Russell Wilson in magic beans or Deshaun Watson in unicorn farts, it ain't gonna happen.

Well, it CAN happen, if you work the numbers enough. I had a big thread about that just a few weeks ago. But what we cannot do is pursue a Big Name and simultaneously resign the guys who provide us with elite play. If we get whatever sexy quarterback you yearn for, Chris Godwin and CD3 for sure are gone, as is most likely everyone else on our list of free agent resignings.

I'd rather have Trask throwing the ball to Chris Godwin while still Carlton Davis on our defense far more than watching Russell Wilson throwing to Mike Evans and a collection of late round JAGs.
Nano

Post by Nano »

What about the most likely scenario...Trask throwing to Evans and a collection of late round JAGS
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Nano wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:31 am What about the most likely scenario...Trask throwing to Evans and a collection of late round JAGS
I think if the Buccaneers stick with Trask they will have the money to sign Godwin.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

13F11B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:24 am
Nano wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:31 am What about the most likely scenario...Trask throwing to Evans and a collection of late round JAGS
I think if the Buccaneers stick with Trask they will have the money to sign Godwin.
The thing is that everything that is being reported says they are not going with Trask period.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Money is not a really hinderance if you want to win now. We can sign a QB and players if we want. The Saints are 80 million over the cap and they are looking to add talent and likely will.

You can kick the can down the road pretty far, until the cap rises or you can't.

edit: The Saints were like 65 million over last year before the season started.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:21 pm
13F11B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:24 am

The thing is that everything that is being reported says they are not going with Trask period.
The thing is that everything that is being reported right now is not much better than a guess. My guess is that the Buccaneers are going to be very quiet about their plans until they hatch their plan. They do not want to tip other teams as to who they might target in free agency. They will deal behind the scenes with potential trade partners.

In the end, I would say rumors may have more weight at the start of March and as we approach March 16th.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

13F11B wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:35 pm
kaimaru wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:21 pm

The thing is that everything that is being reported right now is not much better than a guess. My guess is that the Buccaneers are going to be very quiet about their plans until they hatch their plan. They do not want to tip other teams as to who they might target in free agency. They will deal behind the scenes with potential trade partners.

In the end, I would say rumors may have more weight at the start of March and as we approach March 16th.
Arians and Licht both said at the end of the season that they like how Trask has improved. Christiansen said he worked on mechanics this season. To me, that doesn't say he is ready. This sounds like they had a two year plan and expected Brady to play out his contract. Licht has also been quoted to say that he would "overturn every rock" to find our next QB. If they felt Trask was ready, why would they do that? Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero both said that they were looking into trades for Wilson or Watson. Dov Kleiman is another NFL reporter. (Sorry at work, can't link tweets).

The #Bucs have done extensive homework on #Texans QB Deshaun Watson and are also one of multiple teams expected to explore a potential trade for #Seahawks Russell Wilson, according to @RapSheet and @TomPelisserohttps://t.co/OjGF5XbWcb pic.twitter.com/DcNW07vPzb

— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) February 13, 2022

It makes sense they are going after someone big. Licht also called this off season "a re-tooling." Add that to the "overturn every rock" to get our next QB sure sounds like it isn't Trask (at the moment, we could lose out in these trades and have to go back to him or Gabbert).

However, if you still want to pretend Trask is at the top of their list. Please go ahead and believe what you want. It's a free country (unlike Canada).
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’m blown away if they’re really in on these players. Never thought I’d see the day where they would be this aggressive.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:35 pm

Arians and Licht both said at the end of the season that they like how Trask has improved. Christiansen said he worked on mechanics this season. To me, that doesn't say he is ready. This sounds like they had a two year plan and expected Brady to play out his contract. Licht has also been quoted to say that he would "overturn every rock" to find our next QB. If they felt Trask was ready, why would they do that? Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero both said that they were looking into trades for Wilson or Watson. Dov Kleiman is another NFL reporter. (Sorry at work, can't link tweets).

The #Bucs have done extensive homework on #Texans QB Deshaun Watson and are also one of multiple teams expected to explore a potential trade for #Seahawks Russell Wilson, according to @RapSheet and @TomPelisserohttps://t.co/OjGF5XbWcb pic.twitter.com/DcNW07vPzb

It makes sense they are going after someone big. Licht also called this off season "a re-tooling." Add that to the "overturn every rock" to get our next QB sure sounds like it isn't Trask (at the moment, we could lose out in these trades and have to go back to him or Gabbert).

However, if you still want to pretend Trask is at the top of their list. Please go ahead and believe what you want. It's a free country (unlike Canada).
Exploring other options isn't a vote of no confidence in Trask, it's saying that they are doing their due diligence instead of blindly handing the reins of the offense over to a guy who hasn't taken a regular season snap.

That said, don't be shocked if we come away with a middling veteran to compete for the job instead of a Pro Bowl talent like Wilson or Watson.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:31 pm

Exploring other options isn't a vote of no confidence in Trask, it's saying that they are doing their due diligence instead of blindly handing the reins of the offense over to a guy who hasn't taken a regular season snap.

That said, don't be shocked if we come away with a middling veteran to compete for the job instead of a Pro Bowl talent like Wilson or Watson.
To me that is a big vote of no confidence in Trask. That we would entertain the idea of bringing in 1 of 2 guys with expensive contracts and in their prime, or in Watson's case not even in his prime. We acquire either one of those, the Kyle Trask era in Tampa is over. Trask is literally 18 months younger than Deshaun Watson.

The clock is ticking on seeing what we have. Rookie deals are 4 years. If a guy isn't starting by year 2, you're really putting yourself into a corner year 3. He has to either be a star or you're screwed in year 4. If he doesn't progress enough do you move on or hit him with the franchise tag?

Sitting 2 years isn't feasible anymore and there's a reason no one would be able to name the last time a QB sat 2 years and became a long term starter for the team that drafted him in year 3 and beyond.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:48 pm
Cheb wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:31 pm

To me that is a big vote of no confidence in Trask. That we would entertain the idea of bringing in 1 of 2 guys with expensive contracts and in their prime, or in Watson's case not even in his prime. We acquire either one of those, the Kyle Trask era in Tampa is over. Trask is literally 18 months younger than Deshaun Watson.

The clock is ticking on seeing what we have. Rookie deals are 4 years. If a guy isn't starting by year 2, you're really putting yourself into a corner year 3. He has to either be a star or you're screwed in year 4. If he doesn't progress enough do you move on or hit him with the franchise tag?

Sitting 2 years isn't feasible anymore and there's a reason no one would be able to name the last time a QB sat 2 years and became a long term starter for the team that drafted him in year 3 and beyond.
Looking into alternative quarterbacks is due diligence, imo, but your points all have validity.
I'd agree that if we brought in a Big Name quarterback that the Trask era died before it ever lived.

We will see what happens moving forward. It will be an interesting offseason to be a Bucs' fan, to be sure.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:09 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:48 pm

Looking into alternative quarterbacks is due diligence, imo, but your points all have validity.
I'd agree that if we brought in a Big Name quarterback that the Trask era died before it ever lived.

We will see what happens moving forward. It will be an interesting offseason to be a Bucs' fan, to be sure.
I can see us still liking Trask, but not wanting to pass up a shot at one of the top QBs. It would possibly mean Trask never gets a shot here, but that's not necessarily a reflection on our feelings about his potential. It could just be timing.

If, on the other hand, we go and bring in someone CLEARLY second tier and either hand them the job or put them in a loaded (non) competition, that's different. Andy Dalton, Teddy Bridgewater, someone like that. That'd likely mean we're taking the L on the Trask pick.

All this stuff should be run through the filter of a) our coach is 70 and b) I think OBP still believes this can be a championship roster with a good enough QB. Both of these points work against Trask.

Frankly, there are so many possible scenarios for who our QB will be in 2022, it's tough to get both hands around them all. I could probably name 15 possibilities that aren't science-fiction.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Nothing I said above indicated that I want to pretend that Trask is at the top of their list. Please go ahead and have your own opinion. I am more inclined to wait until we get to the end of February to start making guesses as to what is real and what is smoke.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

13F11B wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:19 am

Nothing I said above indicated that I want to pretend that Trask is at the top of their list. Please go ahead and have your own opinion. I am more inclined to wait until we get to the end of February to start making guesses as to what is real and what is smoke.
This bold part I agree with..
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

I only said that part because Trask is clearly at the top of your list, it obviously isn't close to the top of their list.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:54 pm

I only said that part because Trask is clearly at the top of your list, it obviously isn't close to the top of their list.
Can you explain your reasoning for saying Trask is at the top of my list?
MJW

Post by MJW »

This is just highlighting a problem with this exercise.

Would you rather have Russell Wilson or Kyle Trask? Unless you're a huge UF fan/an idiot, you'd rather have Wilson.

Would you rather have Russell Wilson, or Kyle Trask plus 3 first rounders and $30 mil in cap space? That's what the choice ACTUALLY resembles. Or at least, it's much closer than the first example.
Let's roll another joint
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Trask is still a guy picked in the 60s who has yet to throw an NFL pass. I’ll take Wilson thanks.
MJW

Post by MJW »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:05 am Trask is still a guy picked in the 60s who has yet to throw an NFL pass. I’ll take Wilson thanks.
Are you engaging the point or ignoring it? At what price would you rather have Wilson than Trask? Because we'd ALL rather have Wilson than Trask. Duh.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Trading a bunch of picks to acquire Wilson while the rest of the roster falls apart is a waste.