Todd Bowles & Byron Leftwich Interview Tracker

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Todd Bowles & Byron Leftwich Interview Tracker

Post by Doctor »

Three straight years top 5 in takeaways, two years top 10 in points allowed and DVOA, holding Mahomes and co to 9 points on the biggest stage is crap?

Boy I'd hate to be married to you.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

nybf wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:00 am
Moozician wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:56 am
Yeah, Matt was a crappy HC... But wasn't Bowles, at one time? Or does Patricia NOT deserve the reputation as a good DC?

It's like Leftwich... Does he deserve the accolades of being a great OC, or was it because he had Brady?
Patricia went from good DC to crappy HC.

Bowles went from crappy HC to crappy DC.

Leftwich is new to HC, so I don't know that these comparisons fit.
The correlation is whether or not Matt deserved the reputation of being a good DC, or was it Belichick running everything?
I have absolutely no idea whether or not BL would make a good HC.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Cheb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 am

Patricia was an unmitigated disaster the moment he stepped out of New England, so no thanks.

If we lose Bowles, I would presume that we promote from within for a new DC. My money would be on Mike Caldwell or Larry Foote (inside and outside LB coaches respectively) but I could be wrong.
Yeah, Matt was a crappy HC... But wasn't Bowles, at one time? Or does Patricia NOT deserve the reputation as a good DC?

It's like Leftwich... Does he deserve the accolades of being a great OC, or was it because he had Brady?
The Belichick coaching tree is huge, and the majority of them fail miserably the minute they leave New England. I give Patricia credit for nothing he's done in New England, because the line between where Belichick ends and whoever their DC begins is paper thin. The fact that Patrcia's Lions defenses were hot garbage doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, either.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Cheb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:40 am

The Belichick coaching tree is huge, and the majority of them fail miserably the minute they leave New England. I give Patricia credit for nothing he's done in New England, because the line between where Belichick ends and whoever their DC begins is paper thin. The fact that Patrcia's Lions defenses were hot garbage doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, either.
Nice! Good points!
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Cheb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:40 am

Exactly. There was a show I watched about Brady. He talked about how he would sit in Belichick's office during the week and discuss plays that they want to use that week against whatever defense they were facing. (They showed a clip of them doing exactly that). I am sure he is doing everything an offensive coordinator does other than the actually calling plays in the game. Who knows, he might even script the first drive for his OC too if he is that hands on.
MJW

Post by MJW »

People get way too invested in the success a Coordinator has with his unit (TWSS) and how that influences his outlook as a head coach.

Being a head coach is about your personality. Do you have a knack for communicating with your coaches and players? Do you have an instinct for when to push and when not to? Can you trust your assistants to do their jobs, and do you know when and what to delegate to them? Do you have a clear vision for the culture you want, and do you have a plan for implementing it?

There are a lot of successful head coaches in the NFL who were middling coordinators, just like there are a lot of great coordinators who were lousy head coaches.

You know, people laughed when the Texans interviewed Hines Ward for the job. But if Hines Ward is a guy you feel good about answering those questions, that makes infinitely more sense to me than hiring someone like Eric Bienemy, who has a nice resume but who clearly doesn't seem to have those answers in the interviews.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
nybf

Post by nybf »

I know we have a thread declaring he was hired, but...

Report: Byron Leftwich is expected to pull out of consideration for Jaguars head coach

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ead-coach/
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

nybf wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:52 pm I know we have a thread declaring he was hired, but...

Report: Byron Leftwich is expected to pull out of consideration for Jaguars head coach

Good one more year here and he may take Bruce's spot next year when he retires.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

nybf wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:52 pm I know we have a thread declaring he was hired, but...

For those who said he was hired, more important to be first than right eh?
Dread

Post by Dread »

No compensatory picks?!?!? :P

So #itsabucslife again...

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

bucarican wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:54 pm

Let’s hope not
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Heisenberg wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:24 pm
bucarican wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:54 pm

Let’s hope not
I wasn’t a Leftwich fan early on, but he really seemed to develop over the last couple of years working with Tom Brady.
MJW

Post by MJW »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:03 pm
Heisenberg wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:24 pm

Let’s hope not
I wasn’t a Leftwich fan early on, but he really seemed to develop over the last couple of years working with Tom Brady.
I'm still not really a Leftwich fan. Predictable playcalling, ignoring the run when it was working, and some occasionally baffling decisions (how many moneyballs did we throw on 3rd and 1?)

Tom Brady made it work. A human quarterback will expose it.
Let's roll another joint
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:36 am
real bucs fan wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:03 pm

I'm still not really a Leftwich fan. Predictable playcalling, ignoring the run when it was working, and some occasionally baffling decisions (how many moneyballs did we throw on 3rd and 1?)

Tom Brady made it work. A human quarterback will expose it.
We’ll I guess we will see the real Leftwich this year assuming he’s back as OC. If he shows he’s taken a step since the Winston 30/30 year I’m ok with him getting the reigns post BA.

People always forget this, but coaches like everyone else get better with experience. I’ve seen improvement.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Meh, Sean McVay is kind of coach that Bucs need to hire after Arians retires.

Bryon Leftwich isn’t it

Todd Bowles isn’t it.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Phantom wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:38 am Meh, Sean McVay is kind of coach that Bucs need to hire after Arians retires.

Bryon Leftwich isn’t it

Todd Bowles isn’t it.
Trouble is, everyone is looking for a Sean McVay, and there are a few knockoffs floating around. I think there's more luck in zigging when the league is zagging.
Let's roll another joint
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:43 am
Phantom wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:38 am Meh, Sean McVay is kind of coach that Bucs need to hire after Arians retires.

Bryon Leftwich isn’t it

Todd Bowles isn’t it.
Trouble is, everyone is looking for a Sean McVay, and there are a few knockoffs floating around. I think there's more luck in zigging when the league is zagging.
And how good is Sean McVay when his team is devoid of the superstar talent it currently has? Because eventually, the Rams will be. They are going to be in cap hell in a year or two and they have no first round picks for three years.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:19 am
MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:43 am

And how good is Sean McVay when his team is devoid of the superstar talent it currently has? Because eventually, the Rams will be. They are going to be in cap hell in a year or two and they have no first round picks for three years.
How good is any team when it's void of superstar talent?
Don't tread on me