Flores suing the NFL

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Dread

Re: Flores suing the NFL

Post by Dread »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:59 pm I hate that it's called racism as Daboll was probably the number 1 or 2 coaching candidate. Like if you have the perfect guy, not doing a token interview to comply with the Rooney rule isn't racist. The same thing happen to the Raiders with Gruden. When Gruden said he was interested, they leaped at it and the NFL investigated that they basically decided on hiring him before interviewing a minority candidate. I can't recall if they were punished or what it was.
They also had just hired the Asst GM from the Bills where Daboll was the OC.

But this is still a fucked up story. Giants will pay a heavy fine for this, probably draft picks also.
Snake

Post by Snake »

But the league has shown a willingness to hire black coaches. If an ownership group is willing to cut off their nose to spite their face by passing up a black candidate, they’re going to have issues beyond that. I think enough teams had Bienemy in the building to realize he may not be the guy. They call around. They figure out what he did and didn’t do and they decide against him.

The truth is, nobody really knows what makes a successful head coach other than having a good quarterback. Guys who should succeed, don’t. Guys who don’t, sometimes should.

Just because you were a good coordinator does not necessarily mean you will be a good head coach. You need to be good at identifying coaching talent around you to replace guys as they leave. You have to be good at scouting talent within the league. It’s big picture shit. Some dudes have a preference towards one phase of the game and they will get disproportionately involved in the game planning. But it’s different from being an OC or DC. Imo.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Snake wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:09 pm Coaching is a brotherhood. And he betrayed the deity of the brotherhood.

I understand his frustration. The Rooney rule definitely cuts both ways. But this just wasn’t the way to go to about it. He probably felt like he wasn’t being taken seriously by teams after being fired for the wrong reasons.

Go be a DC. Work on your personal problems. And get a head coaching job again in a couple years…
Oh shut the fuck up with this nonsense. :lol:
Snake

Post by Snake »

How is it nonsense? When I say both ways, I mean sham interviews that are going to piss guys off because they’re going to get the impression that they’re only there to meet a quota because a team has a guy firmly in mind like Daboll.

I’m glad they get opportunities but there’s going to be hurt feelings.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

In the allegations against Ross, Flores states that Ross wanted him to help recruit a 'prominent' QB but Flores refused because it would be tampering. Shortly after the 2019 season ends, he's invited to Ross' yacht and said prominent QB is on his way over. Flores left before the QB arrived to avoid tampering issues.

Rumor in NE is that it was Brady.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:24 pm In the allegations against Ross, Flores states that Ross wanted him to help recruit a 'prominent' QB but Flores refused because it would be tampering. Shortly after the 2019 season ends, he's invited to Ross' yacht and said prominent QB is on his way over. Flores left before the QB arrived to avoid tampering issues.

Brady is who I was thinking as well.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Do y’all believe that tampering like this doesn’t happen leaguewide? I honestly don’t know.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Snake wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:09 pm Coaching is a brotherhood. And he betrayed the deity of the brotherhood.

I understand his frustration. The Rooney rule definitely cuts both ways. But this just wasn’t the way to go to about it. He probably felt like he wasn’t being taken seriously by teams after being fired for the wrong reasons.

Go be a DC. Work on your personal problems. And get a head coaching job again in a couple years…
This doesn’t make sense. How did he betray his fellow coaches?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Putting Belichick on blast to further his own purposes is a breach of trust. Imo.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Watch the NFL force Ross out... and Brady buy the Dolphins.

Also, today really really sucks
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:28 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:24 pm In the allegations against Ross, Flores states that Ross wanted him to help recruit a 'prominent' QB but Flores refused because it would be tampering. Shortly after the 2019 season ends, he's invited to Ross' yacht and said prominent QB is on his way over. Flores left before the QB arrived to avoid tampering issues.

I'm inclined to think Watson might be the one also but unless Flores, Brady or Ross spills the tea we likely can only speculate. If we hadn't just seen two years of Tom Brady here where he came across a lot different than he did in NE I'd be totally certain it was Brady. But just doesn't feel right for the guy we've seen here the past two years away from Belichick and NE.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:37 pm
Primeminister wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:28 pm

I'm inclined to think Watson might be the one also but unless Flores, Brady or Ross spills the tea we likely can only speculate. If we hadn't just seen two years of Tom Brady here where he came across a lot different than he did in NE I'd be totally certain it was Brady. But just doesn't feel right for the guy we've seen here the past two years away from Belichick and NE.
Watson doesn't make sense in 2019.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Who were the rumored Brady suitors?

Going on memory. Tampa Bay, San Diego, Miami right?

I may have a false memory of Miami because of this situation.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Thank you, Brian Flores!
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Wow.

Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

So apparently there’s a widespread racist ideal that black men who don’t comply are seen poorly, but not white men? And that’s a core foundation of this lawsuit?

“Angry black man stigma”?
nybf

Post by nybf »

He betrayed the brotherhood by going public with texts congratulating him for getting a job he didn't interview for yet? GTFO
BLT

Post by BLT »

Snake wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:29 pm Putting Belichick on blast to further his own purposes is a breach of trust. Imo.
Looks more to me like Belichek was in on it.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Snake wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:24 pm How is it nonsense? When I say both ways, I mean sham interviews that are going to piss guys off because they’re going to get the impression that they’re only there to meet a quota because a team has a guy firmly in mind like Daboll.

I'm glad they get opportunities.

JFC

Stop posting about this. You look dumber every time you hit submit.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Yeah, wow.
Snake

Post by Snake »

BLT wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:22 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:29 pm Putting Belichick on blast to further his own purposes is a breach of trust. Imo.
Lol cmon man!!
BLT

Post by BLT »

You do have to get rid of the Rooney rule though and find a different way to promote diversity.

Forcing elitist white owners to interview black people before they can hire who they were going to hire all along sounds like somebody got sued by EEOC and had 12 hours to come up with a plan.
Snake

Post by Snake »

BLT wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:29 pmYeah, wow.
Who are you?
BLT

Post by BLT »

Snake wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:30 pm
BLT wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:22 pm

Lol cmon man!!
No you
BLT

Post by BLT »

Snake wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:32 pm
BLT wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:29 pmYeah, wow.
Who are you?
Alex
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:46 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:37 pm

2019, no. Early in 2020 possible. Certainly would be a bigger tampering story than Brady at the time. Bill OBrien never wanted Watson and did little to help him at QB. Tons of rumors about locker room issues, Hopkins traded away for a pittance etc.

Been some reporting it was Watson not Brady, and vice versa. We’ll see if it comes out.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

nybf wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:24 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:24 pm How is it nonsense? When I say both ways, I mean sham interviews that are going to piss guys off because they’re going to get the impression that they’re only there to meet a quota because a team has a guy firmly in mind like Daboll.

I'm glad they get opportunities.

JFC

Stop posting about this. You look dumber every time you hit submit.
Don't worry @nybf he won't challenge you for board dipshit. You have that locked down with a record of stupidity that will never be broken.

This is a tough topic that has a great deal of nuance that I do not have deep insight into, but here are my thoughts.

With regard to having more opportunities for minority coaches, I think the recent incentives that I learned about when a minority coach is hired to a higher position by another team is a good way to try and tip the scales. I will acknowledge that is a bit discriminatory on the surface but I think it is a reasonable effort to provide equity. The Rooney rule never really seemed to encourage actual opportunities.

I am sure there are 'sham' interviews outside the Rooney Rule, but that rule certainly made them more frequent.
nybf

Post by nybf »

The guy who threw a hissy fit because he thought an admin was secretly editing posts calling anyone a dipshit is rich.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Snake wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:51 pm Who were the rumored Brady suitors?

According to this article it was Chargers, Bucs and Patriots.

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2020/ ... ee-agency/

I seem to recall the Broncos and Raiders mentioned at some point.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:08 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:46 pm

2019, no. Early in 2020 possible. Certainly would be a bigger tampering story than Brady at the time. Bill OBrien never wanted Watson and did little to help him at QB. Tons of rumors about locker room issues, Hopkins traded away for a pittance etc.

Been some reporting it was Watson not Brady, and vice versa. We’ll see if it comes out.
They picked up his 5th year in 2019 then gave him the biggest contract in NFL history.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Pirate Life wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:14 pm

I recall the Raiders too, now that you mention it.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I recall the Raiders, 49ers, and Buccaneers being mentioned. I do not recall the Chargers or Dolphins.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

13F11B wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:40 pm

I recall the Raiders, 49ers, and Buccaneers being mentioned. I do not recall the Chargers or Dolphins.
49ers said no to Brady, but Google says the Bears, Chargers and Bucs were the final options for Brady.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:43 pm
13F11B wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:40 pm

49ers said no to Brady, but Google says the Bears, Chargers and Bucs were the final options for Brady.
Yes, you are right. That was the speculation when he talked about them staying with that Mother Fucker. People thought it was Jimmy G.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Maybe Belichick texted "accidentally" to screw Goodell, the Dolphins, and the Giants.

The text convo is just too perfect.

Adding the Broncos to the lawsuit seems like a reach and comes across bitter and desperate.

This is real bad for Ross and the Dolphins. Not as much for the Giants. They likely knew Daboll would be the guy since they had hired the Buffalo GM and Mara had stated he wanted to support Danny Dimes better. I don't think a defensive coach like Flores was ever plan A for the Giants HC search. Scheduling an interview isn't a crime or even offense imo. Talking to candidates is good for all parties