Tom Brady: Undecided

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will Tom Brady Retire?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 42

uscbucsfan

Re: Tom Brady: Undecided

Post by uscbucsfan »

Sdbucs wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:01 am We’re all assuming Brady is down to 1 more season max

He’s playing till he’s 50 at minimum :geek:
We are all just hoping he plays 1 additional year, much less 6 more at this point.

Brady has radically shifted his own narrative on his playing window recently.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Kona

Post by Kona »

bucarican

Post by bucarican »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:30 am
CupidStunt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:06 am "At times throughout this season, Brady has felt committed to returning in 2022 regardless of the outcome, simply because he feels like he owes it to an organization that doesn’t have a clear quarterback succession plan, sources said."

Sounds like Trask is not the future.
I don't think anyone thinks Trask is QBOTF. He was basically a 3rd round pick as a development guy, likely a backup
Brady was a 6th round pick and was thought as a development guy behind Bledsoe. You don't know about guys until you see them under pressure. Time will tell if Trask was a steal or a stretch.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

bucarican wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:52 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:30 am

I don't think anyone thinks Trask is QBOTF. He was basically a 3rd round pick as a development guy, likely a backup
Brady was a 6th round pick and was thought as a development guy behind Bledsoe. You don't know about guys until you see them under pressure. Time will tell if Trask was a steal or a stretch.
He was definitely a developmental guy. Just look how long it took him to win his 7th Super Bowl. He also had to change teams before winning his 7th Super Bowl. Clearly not a first-rounder. [sarcasm]
Nano

Post by Nano »

Tom Brady’s longtime assistant Ben Rawitz has been talking to other top quarterbacks about work — prompting even more speculation that the star athlete is going to retire.

Page Six has been told that Rawitz, who has spent years as Brady’s right-hand man, has reached out to a list of high-profile QBs, including the Buffalo Bills’ Josh Allen, Cincinnati Bengals’ Joe Burrow, the Cardinals’ Kyler Murray and the Patriots’ Mac Jones, for management opportunities.

Rawitz, who has been with his boss since Brady was a Patriot and made the move with him to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, declined to comment.

Another insider confirmed that Rawitz had reached out to Burrow’s management but did not speak to the athlete directly.

The Bucs’ quest to “go for two,” as coach Bruce Arians dubbed it, fell short last weekend as they suffered a 30-27 defeat to the Los Angeles Rams — and leading many to wonder if it might have been Brady’s last NFL game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pagesix.co ... w-job/amp/
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:02 pm
bucarican wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:52 pm

He was definitely a developmental guy. Just look how long it took him to win his 7th Super Bowl. He also had to change teams before winning his 7th Super Bowl. Clearly not a first-rounder. [sarcasm]
Using Tom Brady alone is not a good argument. This is a good argument:
Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Jalen Hurts, and Drew Brees were drafted in the 2nd. Matt Schaub was a 3rd rounder. Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins in the 4th. Matt Hasselbeck and Tom Brady were 6th rounder. Tony Romo was undrafted.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Radio just said former players close to Brady expect the retirement announcement any day.

I hope this is all bs.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I have major doubts that Tom wants to stop playing football. Maybe his wife made the choice for him.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:40 pm I have major doubts that Tom wants to stop playing football. Maybe his wife made the choice for him.
They were also talking about him taking a year off. Not intentionally, but because he'll miss playing too much.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

It's a wrap.. enjoyed the little bit we got.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Noles1724 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:14 pm It's a wrap.. enjoyed the little bit we got.
The latest I found is this -- https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... 2_37110914
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If Tom Brady retires? Plenty quarterbacks available like Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, etc etc via trade or free agency. I doubt Arians settle on Trask..
Last edited by Phantom on Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

We just finished the best two year run in team history. If/when Tom leaves, then we will likely regress, and that's okay.

If he wants to spend time with his family, he should. Time is the only thing we really have in life, and how we choose to spend it is the most important decision we ultimately make.

If this is it, I wish him the best moving forward. Thanks for the Lombardi and the playoffs wins, amigo.

By the way, Mr Brady, we have an opening at offensive coordinator if you're interested, and our head coach is probably gonna retire next year.

Just keep that in mind if/when you get bored.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Phantom wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:39 am If Tom Brady retires? We’ll plenty quarterbacks available like Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, etc etc via trade or free agency. I doubt Arians settle on Trask..
Let's be real here, if Brady retires...it's probably Blaine Gabbert as our starter next year. He knows the system already(and Arians trust him more than Trask), he'll be cheap to re-sign, and we've hyped him up multiple times in the past that he could be a starter for us. Probably what nobody wants...but it's probably the most realistic scenario(assuming Brady does retire).

Start looking into 2023 QBs and mocking them to us with our top 10(or top 5) pick next year. Our new HC will definitely need one.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Well... Shit
Monero

Post by Monero »

If he does can it quits then man this whole experience went by like a flash. I feel like we just signed him and are hyped about what he's going to look like with our offense. The Brady era definitely worked out smashingly and exceeded what most of us expected to begin with. One thing is for sure though, two years of elite QB play isn't enough for me. I'm not sure about anyone else here, but I simply can't go back to the type of play the Bucs have historically produced. I don't want to go through another Glennon, Mccown, Gradkowski, Winston phase. I think the Bucs franchise and fans have suffered enough and are allowed to have nice things now.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Monero wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:37 am If he does can it quits then man this whole experience went by like a flash. I feel like we just signed him and are hyped about what he's going to look like with our offense. The Brady era definitely worked out smashingly and exceeded what most of us expected to begin with. One thing is for sure though, two years of elite QB play isn't enough for me. I'm not sure about anyone else here, but I simply can't go back to the type of play the Bucs have historically produced. I don't want to go through another Glennon, Mccown, Gradkowski, Winston phase. I think the Bucs franchise and fans have suffered enough and are allowed to have nice things now.
Going to be a tough pill to swallow after watching the GOAT for the past two years. Including an MVP level season and SB victory. Anything else will be a let down. But I hope we give Trask a chance to see if he’s got the goods or not. If not then we’ll likely have a high pick to get our QBOTF (again).
Kona

Post by Kona »

Something I thought about, let’s say the last two years we’re reversed and we ended this year with a SB victory instead of last year. Would it make it easier to understand Brady hanging them up?
Snake

Post by Snake »

I think the fact that he’s - at worst - the third best player in the league makes it hard. There will always be what if’s. How long could I have played? Could I have won more rings?
Monero

Post by Monero »

What are the financial ramifications of Brady retiring? Does our cap get fucked as a result?
Monero

Post by Monero »

Snake wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:10 am I think the fact that he’s - at worst - the third best player in the league makes it hard. There will always be what if’s. How long could I have played? Could I have won more rings?
On the flip side, that also allows Brady to retire as the only NFL player of his caliber and tenure to walk away being undefeated by Father Time. None of his contemporaries can say the same. Brees, Big Ben, Manning, Eli, Rivers, these guys were all forced out of the league more or less because they simply couldn't play anymore. Brady on the other hand not only played much longer, but is leaving carrying his shield instead of lying on it. There also won't ever be tape of "Old Brady", only GOAT Brady tape will exist.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Cheb wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:32 am We just finished the best two year run in team history. If/when Tom leaves, then we will likely regress, and that's okay.

If he wants to spend time with his family, he should. Time is the only thing we really have in life, and how we choose to spend it is the most important decision we ultimately make.

If this is it, I wish him the best moving forward. Thanks for the Lombardi and the playoffs wins, amigo.

By the way, Mr Brady, we have an opening at offensive coordinator if you're interested, and our head coach is probably gonna retire next year.

Just keep that in mind if/when you get bored.
Will be interesting to see if he comes back to the game at some point and if so in what capacity. Not sure he’s the guy who’s gonna be on the sidelines. Think he’s more a mastermind type ala John Lynch. When Jordan came back to the NBA it wasn’t to assistant coach lol

That said, I think he’ll be under the radar for a while if he does retire. Clearly this is about spending time with his family and feeling like his kids are growing up without him. Covid probably put a lot of pressure on that as well as I know he was isolating at points away from his family to not test positive and hurt the team.

I know it’s only been 2 years, but man, I don’t think I’ve ever felt such personal devastation of an athlete potentially leaving my team as much as I’m fearing that about Brady right now. Will be absolutely gut wrenching. Silly I know lol
Snake

Post by Snake »

I mean they kind of grew up without him already. 14, 12, 10 right?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Monero wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:23 am What are the financial ramifications of Brady retiring? Does our cap get fucked as a result?
Depending on the timing yes. I think it ranges from a 12mil to 22 mil hit.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I personally think if Brady retires the ownership and Licht would be wise to encourage Arians to retire and start the rebuild process.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

13F11B wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:52 am
Monero wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:23 am What are the financial ramifications of Brady retiring? Does our cap get fucked as a result?
Depending on the timing yes. I think it ranges from a 12mil to 22 mil hit.
Someone’s gotta tell Brady he’d be hurting the team lol maybe that would force him back.
Snake

Post by Snake »

13F11B wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:55 am I personally think if Brady retires the ownership and Licht would be wise to encourage Arians to retire and start the rebuild process.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Snake wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:47 am I mean they kind of grew up without him already. 14, 12, 10 right?
For me personally, it's the time he's needed most.
Capsaicin

Post by Capsaicin »

Fuck Gabbert, let's bring JW back for another year. Go for 40/40!
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

To the Football Gods:

Please, please, PLEASE don't let us regress to Pre-Brady levels.

This is my greatest fear.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Found an article that talks about the salary cap hit.
The Buccaneers would have $32 million of dead money, which is a salary cap charge for a player no longer on a team's roster, with Brady retiring before June 2. That's almost $11.8 million more than Brady's 2022 cap number.
So apparently, it would really count for 32 mil against the cap. Far worse than I thought.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

13F11B wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:38 am Found an article that talks about the salary cap hit.
The Buccaneers would have $32 million of dead money, which is a salary cap charge for a player no longer on a team's roster, with Brady retiring before June 2. That's almost $11.8 million more than Brady's 2022 cap number.
So apparently, it would really count for 32 mil against the cap. Far worse than I thought.
Pretty sure we cab spread that over 2 years like the Saints did with Brees.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:41 am
13F11B wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:38 am Found an article that talks about the salary cap hit.

Pretty sure we cab spread that over 2 years like the Saints did with Brees.
Read the article. It does say that can be done but only if the Buccaneers carry him until June 2nd. There are ways to reduce the impacts. There could be another renegotiation too before the announcement and then carrying Brady until after June.
Monero

Post by Monero »

So when a player retires does the money prorated go immediately against the cap?