Our Next OC

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who will be our next OC?

Harold Goodwin
42%
Clyde Christensen
17%
Thaddeus Lewis
No votes
Someone else on staff
No votes
Somone not currently on staff
33%
Noone, Bruce will hold both HC/OC titles
8%

Total votes: 12

Doctor

Our Next OC

Post by Doctor »

Bruce said in an interview he'd likely take back playcalling duties if we lost Leftwich, but that doesn't mean there isn't an OC spot to fill.

Harold Goodwin seems to be the favorite around here to assume the title. I think Clyde Christensen could have a very real shot at it as well. He was an OC in Indy and Miami and has been around Bruce just about as long as anyone too. Lewis seems to be a name being floated around too but he seems too green imo. Of course, this assumes Lefty doesn't poach any of them on his way out.

There's also the possibility of bringing in someone from outside the organization. I know he's not a popular name but I'm still a fan of Anthony Lynn and think this could be a perfect place for him to come and rebuild his rep under Bruce before gearing up for another run at a HC job.
Snake

Re: Our Next OC

Post by Snake »

Not entirely sure it matters. I’m of the belief that Arians is going to mandate a certain approach. which is fine, it’s his team.

In my perfect world, Brady pretty much hand picks the OC and they collaborate was Licht to find the right personnel to make it work. An offense that is built to sustain possessions and not be one dimensional come playoff time.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

While it may get clicks in the media, not every FO is a power struggle of hot heads and egos. One thing that has made our franchise, FO, and locker room so strong is how simpatico it is. This FO seems very adverse to "forcing" anything on anyone with the belief that overall synergy is more important than being "right" on any one thing.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Snake wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:07 pm Not entirely sure it matters. I’m of the belief that Arians is going to mandate a certain approach. which is fine, it’s his team.

In my perfect world, Brady pretty much hand picks the OC and they collaborate was Licht to find the right personnel to make it work. An offense that is built to sustain possessions and not be one dimensional come playoff time.
Wait - you mean an offense is allowed to just try to get first downs and drive the ball down the field rather than sending everyone deep all the time?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:07 pm Not entirely sure it matters. I’m of the belief that Arians is going to mandate a certain approach. which is fine, it’s his team.

Wait - you mean an offense is allowed to just try to get first downs and drive the ball down the field rather than sending everyone deep all the time?
Yes, because that's what we do. The whole playbook is just pages and pages of four deep. :roll:
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:51 pm Bruce said in an interview he'd likely take back playcalling duties if we lost Leftwich, but that doesn't mean there isn't an OC spot to fill.

Harold Goodwin seems to be the favorite around here to assume the title. I think Clyde Christensen could have a very real shot at it as well. He was an OC in Indy and Miami and has been around Bruce just about as long as anyone too. Lewis seems to be a name being floated around too but he seems too green imo. Of course, this assumes Lefty doesn't poach any of them on his way out.

There's also the possibility of bringing in someone from outside the organization. I know he's not a popular name but I'm still a fan of Anthony Lynn and think this could be a perfect place for him to come and rebuild his rep under Bruce before gearing up for another run at a HC job.
Harold Goodwin was his OC and OLine coach in Arizona, so I would be stunned if he isn't promoted. That said, in the interview Arians said he did too much work as head coach in Arizona and won't have those responsibilities this time around.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Offer the OC position to Tahmmy and ride or die with it.

Hell of a feather to offer to the guy that's done it all.
MJW

Post by MJW »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:48 pm
Doctor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:51 pm Bruce said in an interview he'd likely take back playcalling duties if we lost Leftwich, but that doesn't mean there isn't an OC spot to fill.

Harold Goodwin was his OC and OLine coach in Arizona, so I would be stunned if he isn't promoted. That said, in the interview Arians said he did too much work as head coach in Arizona and won't have those responsibilities this time around.
Yep, Goodwin was his OC the entire time he was in Arizona. He's not a household name because he's not generally seen as a Head Coach type, but BA obviously thinks highly of him. I'd be shocked if Goodwin doesn't get the title. What happens with the play-calling, I don't know.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

MJW wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:18 pm
kaimaru wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:48 pm

Yep, Goodwin was his OC the entire time he was in Arizona. He's not a household name because he's not generally seen as a Head Coach type, but BA obviously thinks highly of him. I'd be shocked if Goodwin doesn't get the title. What happens with the play-calling, I don't know.
Whoever has the duties, I frankly don't give a fuck. As long as we strap them to a chair Clockwork Orange style and force them to watch off tackle, power, and counter runs until their fucking eyeballs bleed.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Rocker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:33 pm
MJW wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:18 pm

Whoever has the duties, I frankly don't give a fuck. As long as we strap them to a chair Clockwork Orange style and force them to watch off tackle, power, and counter runs until their fucking eyeballs bleed.
From your lips to God's ears.

This last game wasn't a great example because we were down multiple scores for most of it. I can understand getting away from the run (a bit.) But even in situations where the defense is screaming for it, we were throwing last year. In fact - and this is BA's biggest weakness - he's never remotely come close to a balanced attack, even when David Johnson looked like Edgerrin James.
Let's roll another joint
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

MJW wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:48 pm
Rocker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:33 pm

This last game wasn't a great example because we were down multiple scores for most of it. I can understand getting away from the run (a bit.) But even in situations where the defense is screaming for it, we were throwing last year. In fact - and this is BA's biggest weakness - he's never remotely come close to a balanced attack, even when David Johnson looked like Edgerrin James.
This is why I have little faith in another Lombardi under Arians - and to a greater degree, Bowles. Both coaches are incredibly devoted to their scheme, and rarely; if ever, gameplan to exploit. It's a strength and a weakness. When you've got the GOAT on one side of the ball, it masks a lot of mistakes. When the best player on the other side of the ball is a NT... well.... we all know.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Rocker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:59 pm

This is why I have little faith in another Lombardi under Arians - and to a greater degree, Bowles. Both coaches are incredibly devoted to their scheme, and rarely; if ever, gameplan to exploit. It's a strength and a weakness. When you've got the GOAT on one side of the ball, it masks a lot of mistakes. When the best player on the other side of the ball is a NT... well.... we all know.
I get we're never going to be the Rex Ryan Jets, and that's fine! But we ended up 385 rushing attempts last year (About 22 a game) despite spending most of our games closing out leads. And if you deduct kneel-downs and scrambles, that number probably goes down to around 20 attempts a game. This despite Fournette and Rojo, and an offense that could easily go heavy if needed. And with all the injuries to receivers.

I would love to see us go run-heavier next year. Look, Brady is going to be 45, and while we all know he's still got it, it's probably not best for him to set NFL records for attempts at this point. And our legendary WR depth is in major jeopardy also. I'd love to get that number up to 25-27 attempts a game.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

And if Brady retires and we go Trask (or GOD FUCKING FORBID Gabbert), I'd want to see 30 attempts a game.
Let's roll another joint
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Goodwin makes sense for a lot of reasons. Might fit with our new philosophy of being a run team since we won’t have a QB lol
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I don’t think OC matters? I mean Tom Brady is OC

Just like Peyton Manning was in Indianapolis. Sort of
MJW

Post by MJW »

Phantom wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:08 am I don’t think OC matters? I mean Tom Brady is OC

Just like Peyton Manning was in Indianapolis. Sort of
That's mostly true. But if I'm interpreting things correctly, the OC provides a few options to Brady and Brady goes from there based on his pre-snap read. So both are important in that sense. But yeah, probably a lot less important than that job will become if Brady retires.
Let's roll another joint
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

you are missing a spot, who ever Brady wants* Sean Payton???? JK
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Rocker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:59 pm

I mean that just goes back to the usual "there are many ways to skin a cat" that is coaching.

You have coaches that are authoritarian, you have player coaches. You have "find players to fit the system" coaches and "fit the system to the players" coaches. You have "play to your strengths and do what you do best" coaches and "do everything well enough and go with the wind" coaches. You have coaches that lean on their stars and ones that make sure no one piece is too important.

In the end, all of these different kinds of coaching styles have won Super Bowls. There is no one "right" way, only what's trendy at the time.