Divisional match-up discussion: Rams @ Bucs

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Patrick McIrish

Re: Divisional match-up discussion: Rams @ Bucs

Post by Patrick McIrish »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:29 pm But like I said there's a reason he hit Andrew Adams and not Ryan Jensen or Ndamukong Suh. They would've knocked him on his ass and we'd be all here for it.
There isn't a player on the team that would have knocked him on his ass for that.

Sorry, you're wrong.

This is football, not chess club. Pretend you've seen it before. :roll:
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

I have more of a problem with what Knight did (Indy hoops) than this. Lot of pussies end up playing hoops.

This is football, you get hit harder after scoring a TD than that.

Not to mention you could take a baseball bat and swing it as hard as you want and not hurt anyone in today's helmet.

If as a football coach you have to teach with manners you're beat before you even start.

It's a team of alpha dogs, you do what you need to do to 'communicate' with them in the instant.

We move on.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Patrick McIrish wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:12 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:29 pm But like I said there's a reason he hit Andrew Adams and not Ryan Jensen or Ndamukong Suh. They would've knocked him on his ass and we'd be all here for it.
There isn't a player on the team that would have knocked him on his ass for that.

Sorry, you're wrong.

Exactly. In chess club, they would’ve pretended nothing happened.

Again, ask yourself why you haven’t seen this before.

Any ex-player or current player will tell you that this doesn’t fly in profess sports. MAYBE in college or high school. But not the pros.

“Pretend you’ve seen it before”? Yea, that’s the only way this would work. Pretend like this has happened before.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

CantonJester wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:34 pm
Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:49 pm

Done simply to appease the Karen's out there.
No. It's more about holding management to the same standard the league holds the player's association.
So when should we see Aaron Donald's fine for choking another player?
nybf

Post by nybf »

Pirate Life wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:40 pm

No. It's more about holding management to the same standard the league holds the player's association.
So when should we see Aaron Donald's fine for choking another player?
And the fine for that iggles special teams scrub who teed off on Darden's helmet well after the whistle?
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:34 pm
Snake wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:42 pm @Buc2 I think it simply looks bad.

The lunging at Adams, the flailing slap, the anger.

He could’ve just took one extra step and stood in front of him and screamed “get your dumbass on the sideline before you get penalized.”
It did look bad. In fact, it looked down right silly. If anything, he should have been fined for going out on the field and involving himself in the officials business.

But, as Bootz said, it's a $50K nothing burger. Time to move on.
Make a different post, we are on to the Rams, not the NFLs soft tissue talk.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

If Ramsey concentrates on Mike, do the Rams have anybody that can hang with Scotty and Cyril?
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:10 am If Ramsey concentrates on Mike, do the Rams have anybody that can hang with Scotty and Cyril?
Yes, unfortunately. We have a bunch of interesting wideouts. Besides Mike, we don't have anyone who will keep DCs awake at night. Not right now.

But Gronk? Thankfully the last decade has taught us that if he's healthy and Brady is hitting his spots, nobody can stop Gronk.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:00 am
mdb1958 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:10 am If Ramsey concentrates on Mike, do the Rams have anybody that can hang with Scotty and Cyril?
Yes, unfortunately. We have a bunch of interesting wideouts. Besides Mike, we don't have anyone who will keep DCs awake at night. Not right now.

But Gronk? Thankfully the last decade has taught us that if he's healthy and Brady is hitting his spots, nobody can stop Gronk.

I was thinking about Scotty, Cyril, beating them over the top with deep balls. I think Brady shut things down against Philly, wasnt any need to show anyone what could be. We had a commanding lead and we dialed it back. I kinda expect Brady to keep the Rams off balance and then take his shots.
If we run them boys deep and the Rams pass rush isnt getting it done - they will begin to worry.

Of course we will need to get some first downs running the ball - that will set it all up.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Plus, I think Mike is on a mission.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

GetUp had Mike as the player with the third most pressure remaining in the playoffs(over certain QB’s) and I’d tend to agree with that.

If we are going to win another Super Bowl… Evans is going to need big days. Brate,Gronk, Howard a matchup nightmare on any given day… but the wide outs need to perform. Godwin missing is the biggest problem for this team.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

I believe they have one starting safety out and the other isn't 100% healthy. Gronk might be the biggest asset we have this weekend when you factor in the possibility of using him more for blocking support due to OL injury and being our biggest advantage against their only weakness (Safety injuries).
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Coverage won’t be the biggest hurdle for our offense. It’s up front. The Rams have been able to pressure Brady in the last 2 meetings with their front 4. You do that, it doesn’t matter who’s covering who. Aaron Donald and Leonard Floyd have been hard for us to contain. And now they’ve added Von Miller to the mix.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

My only counter to that would be that if Grayson is indeed healthy, the Rams DBs could definitely lose a wink or two of sleep over his speed.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Do we know whether Fournette has a chance to play? If he's able to go that could make an extraordinary difference. Lean on the run, use multiple-TE sets for extra blockers or bring in extra linemen to shore up the right side and whoever ends up playing there. And hopefully skip altogether the send-everybody-deep on third and one plays - we don't have any margin for stupid crap playcalls this game.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:53 am

My only counter to that would be that if Grayson is indeed healthy, the Rams DBs could definitely lose a wink or two of sleep over his speed.
Nobody is losing sleep over Cyril Grayson.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:00 am
but he made one important catch
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:58 am Do we know whether Fournette has a chance to play? If he's able to go that could make an extraordinary difference. Lean on the run, use multiple-TE sets for extra blockers or bring in extra linemen to shore up the right side and whoever ends up playing there. And hopefully skip altogether the send-everybody-deep on third and one plays - we don't have any margin for stupid crap playcalls this game.
Fournette, himself, thinks he'll be on the field. So that's a positive.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

White jerseys and pewter pants again.

Rams defense is pretty bad outside of the big names. Linebackers and secondary outside of Ramsey especially. If the line and the game plan see Brady getting the ball out as quickly as last week, I like our chances. Offense did get over 400 yards through the air last time with no turnovers. Run game needs to show up - and play action to take advantage of the Linebackers and safeties. Their best remaining safety is the 37 year old guy they got to unretire.

If the Cardinals line was able to give Murray about 2.8 seconds to throw on average, I think the Bucs can at least do 2.5 with Stinnie at guard and Cappa at RT with a week of practice. Would definitely feel better with Wirfs, but it is what it is.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Noles1724 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:02 am

but he made one important catch
That vaunted Jets defense!
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:48 pm
Patrick McIrish wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:12 pm

Sorry, you're wrong.

Exactly. In chess club, they would’ve pretended nothing happened.

Again, ask yourself why you haven’t seen this before.

Any ex-player or current player will tell you that this doesn’t fly in profess sports. MAYBE in college or high school. But not the pros.

“Pretend you’ve seen it before”? Yea, that’s the only way this would work. Pretend like this has happened before.
Imo his punishment is mostly to do with (lack of) respect and setting an (wrong) example. We don't want other football coaches at lower levels thinking it's ok to slap players in the head, even if it was well intentioned as it was with BA/Adams.

We all understand what BA was trying to do (get Adams away from the pile to avoid another dumb penalty), but the slap to the helmet was unnecessary, shows a lack of respect, and sets a horrible example.

BA may claim he doesn't regret it, but that's bullshit imo and if he really believes that someone with some sense needs to have a real conversation before he his legacy is tarnished in the way Woody Hayes was.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am White jerseys and pewter pants again.

Rams defense is pretty bad outside of the big names. Linebackers and secondary outside of Ramsey especially. If the line and the game plan see Brady getting the ball out as quickly as last week, I like our chances. Offense did get over 400 yards through the air last time with no turnovers. Run game needs to show up - and play action to take advantage of the Linebackers and safeties. Their best remaining safety is the 37 year old guy they got to unretire.

If the Cardinals line was able to give Murray about 2.8 seconds to throw on average, I think the Bucs can at least do 2.5 with Stinnie at guard and Cappa at RT with a week of practice. Would definitely feel better with Wirfs, but it is what it is.
Agreed, it's why it will be interesting to see if the Rams Defense stays with 'who they are' in terms of playing a heavy zone scheme that have allowed opposing offenses to be very efficient in the short passing game.

That works well vs a young QB like Kyler Murray who is a young QB leading a dynamic offense that is trying to get big plays downfield, but when you're playing Tom Brady it historically hasn't fared well. Brady will paper cut your defense to death if your defense gives him those underneath windows/throws b/c you're in zone. For years Brady has used the short passing game to defeat some really outstanding zone defenses (like the great LoB Seahawks teams and again vs the Falcons in the SB where RB James White had 14 receptions on 16 targets).
How the Rams' second-level defenders (safeties and linebackers, excluding Jalen Ramsey) handle their coverage responsibilities flags as a potential source of concern, especially in the context of their defensive in-game adjustments ranking in the bottom third of the league, per Computer Vision. On short passes to the middle, the Rams have allowed the highest completion percentage (80.2) in the NFL and rank 28th in average gain allowed (7.9 yards). On short passes to the left, right and middle, the Rams have allowed at least a 68.2 completion percentage.
If I'm Raheem Morris/Rams DC and I want to leverage my 4 man pass rush vs a banged up Bucs Oline I would switch my scheme to alot more m2m that they've played this season, which would force Brady to hold the ball longer. Doing so opens your defense up to more potential big plays, but that's the trade off for greatly increasing your chance to pressure/hit/sack Brady which create big plays in your favor. It's also the only proven what to mitigate Brady's effectiveness b/c if he's comfortable and has a beat on what you're doing he'll get the ball out in under 2.5 seconds all day long.

I have all the respect in the world for that Rams defensive front with guys like Donald, Floyd, and Von Miller. But there is little evidence from the past 20yrs that you can play zone defense vs Brady for 4 quarters and prevent him from putting 30pts on you, especially when he's playing at home and able to communicate at the LoS pre-snap. He just knows too much and has seen too much.

I think you have to look at what the Saints do, which is play a ton of m2m (Brady is no threat to run) and let your front 4 hunt.

Have Ramsey follow Evans nearly every play and double Gronk. Make the Perriman, Brate, Johnson, Howard, etc type players beat you.
Last edited by Dread on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

The very thought of that way be what Tom is hoping for.
nybf

Post by nybf »

AJPG

Post by AJPG »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:50 pm
Somebody gets it.

I want anyone clutching their pearls like @Buc2 to take a minute and think can you imagine if Andrew Adams or any player took a swing at Bruce Arians?
A 69 yo hobbled BA taps a players helmet with an open hand to get his attention = took a swing.
Dcbucsfan

Post by Dcbucsfan »

Per Greg Auman's tweets, everyone except for Wirfs and Grayson were on the field practicing today. Let's see what the end of practice looks like. Apparently, Wells looked ready to go for Wirfs, SMB and RoJo on the sideslines working with trainers with helmets and no boot, Fournette practicing and without limitations, and Perrimen is limited. Tomorrow is going to be a big day for injuries.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

AJPG wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:34 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:50 pm

Somebody gets it.

I want anyone clutching their pearls like @Buc2 to take a minute and think can you imagine if Andrew Adams or any player took a swing at Bruce Arians?
A 69 yo hobbled BA taps a players helmet with an open hand to get his attention = took a swing.
And got hit with a $50,000 fine.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dcbucsfan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:39 am Per Greg Auman's tweets, everyone except for Wirfs and Grayson were on the field practicing today. Let's see what the end of practice looks like. Apparently, Wells looked ready to go for Wirfs, SMB and RoJo on the sideslines working with trainers with helmets and no boot, Fournette practicing and without limitations, and Perrimen is limited. Tomorrow is going to be a big day for injuries.
I'll wait and see. I like Greg, but he's been off when it comes to reporting injuries as of late. He counts players working on the sidelines as "practicing". The injury report he posts later in the day are always more accurate.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Did not care then and hey nothing has changed.
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:39 am
AJPG wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:34 am
And got hit with a $50,000 fine.
Clearly an over reaction. Players love BA. I guarantee you BA can cause more harm to any player with his tounge than with his fists. Anyway, nobody on the team cares about this.
BLT

Post by BLT »

It looked pretty bad on TV. Very unprofessional.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Also the ‘prevent a penalty’ or ‘get his attention’ is complete bias BS.

Adams was already backed off just standing there.

BA erupted. That’s all. It was embarrassing honestly.
Kress

Post by Kress »

AJPG wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:48 am BA can cause more harm to any player with his tounge than with his fists.

OOCA.

Gross, but OOCA.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Make a different post, we are on to the Rams, not the NFLs soft tissue talk. ~ @bucarican
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

So BA is appealing the fine.

Don't watch the show much, but Shannon Sharpe's resumé speaks for itself. He's 100% right here.