Welcome Jalen McMillan

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Ken

Re: Welcome Jalen McMillan

Post by Ken »

Four Verticals wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:53 pm
Ken wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:41 am

If we let him walk, we will probably get a 3rd/4th round compensatory pick.
My main hesitancy on this is that I don't think the Bucs ever get much in comp picks. For whatever reason it is not how they choose to operate.
If we have another offseason like this past one, we will be loaded with comp picks in the near future. Draft well and retain your guys. It's how the Eagles had 4 comp picks in 2024.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:20 pm I did address it. I think the versatility of our OL and DBs is going to let us carry more edges.
Guarantee you no NFL team is going to reduce the number of DBs they keep. Not a chance.

But even still in the event we did, who is Ramirez replacing? Names.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Who in the secondary is especially versatile outside of Winfield?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Snake wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:44 pm Who in the secondary is especially versatile outside of Winfield?
Zyon McCollum, Tykee Smith.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Ken wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:17 pm
Snake wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:44 pm Who in the secondary is especially versatile outside of Winfield?
Zyon McCollum, Tykee Smith.
I guess I don’t know what versatile means. Maybe doctor can explain it
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

The more I watch McMillan play, the more he reminds me of Godwin, and their athletic testing at the Combine was very similar. McMillan is slightly slimmer and quicker and more explosive, Godwin is stronger and ran slightly faster. But those guys are two peas in a pod.

I say all that to segue into the following -- if McMillan is any semblance of competent as a rookie, I think this will be Godwin's final year in Tampa Bay.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Cheb wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:54 pm The more I watch McMillan play, the more he reminds me of Godwin, and their athletic testing at the Combine was very similar. McMillan is slightly slimmer and quicker and more explosive, Godwin is stronger and ran slightly faster. But those guys are two peas in a pod.

I say all that to segue into the following -- if McMillan is any semblance of competent as a rookie, I think this will be Godwin's final year in Tampa Bay.
I had similar thoughts. Even though he still managed 1K yards, last season was a big disappointment from Godwin. He didn’t have near the chemistry with Baker I expected there to be. If he has a similar season then the Bucs may just let him walk. Only problem at that point is now you have Evans on just one more year and in his 30s, and I’m not sure McMillan has what it takes to be a WR1.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We often stock up on nickel/safety hybrids from Mike Edwards before to Izien/Tykee today. They'll get time in the slot as well as time spelling/filling in for injured Whitehead and AWJ.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Bleacher report has him at the WR #6 in draft with pro comparison Smith-Njigba

PFF says he’s a prototypical slot receiver and highly adept route runner

Youtube highlights look good

I’m all about it
Ken

Post by Ken »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:15 pm
Cheb wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:54 pm The more I watch McMillan play, the more he reminds me of Godwin, and their athletic testing at the Combine was very similar. McMillan is slightly slimmer and quicker and more explosive, Godwin is stronger and ran slightly faster. But those guys are two peas in a pod.

I had similar thoughts. Even though he still managed 1K yards, last season was a big disappointment from Godwin. He didn’t have near the chemistry with Baker I expected there to be. If he has a similar season then the Bucs may just let him walk. Only problem at that point is now you have Evans on just one more year and in his 30s, and I’m not sure McMillan has what it takes to be a WR1.
Reality with Chris is that we won't likely see the best out of him going forward and will need to spend the $ elsewhere. We should let him walk at the end of next year and get a 3rd-4th round compensatory pick and draft the WR1 of the future next year.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Ken wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:04 pm

Reality with Chris is that we won't likely see the best out of him going forward and will need to spend the $ elsewhere. We should let him walk at the end of next year and get a 3rd-4th round compensatory pick and draft the WR1 of the future next year.
I like the way you think. Because it's true, he hasn't been the same since his knee injury in 2021. And seeing as he's in the final year of his contract and you potentially have his replacement on the roster already, it's a good idea to pick up that extra pick, then draft the guy who can eventually replace Evans.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He served his purpose which was being a key cog in our Arians offense.

But yesterdays purpose isn't todays. This isn't the same team, this isn't the same offense, and he isn't the same player. That's perfectly okay.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Bosa played in 2 games and was a top 5 pick.

It goes beyond being nicked up.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:02 pm Bosa played in 2 games and was a top 5 pick.

It goes beyond being nicked up.
Almost to the point of being two completely different situations.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It goes beyond being nicked up. He had plenty of stuff on film before this season.
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

Typical coach speak. We love our guy, would've gone higher if not for this or that etc.

A guy who with 0 contested catches who struggled on film and grading out poor or below average vs man coverage was never going to go in the 1st or 2nd round.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:28 pm
Jonny wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:19 pm I was so badly hoping Bucs would draft Malik Washington in late rounds to fill a rock solid wr3 with ability to separate at ease, a cheaper version of Mcconkey and Pearsall. Very underwhelmed with this pick. We spent a mid round pick on a guy who doesn't come off as special in any category, including production.
I'm confused. He wasn't productive? Dude was a WR3 in an offense where one guy went top 10 and the other went top 40. By the way, when fully healthy in 2023... he led all 3 of those guys in catches and TDs and a close second to Odunze in yards.

What a weird take.
I agree, my take was uninformed. I looked at his production from this year and he was a difference maker in every game he played while surrounded by receivers that are versions of Godwin and Evans. I saw breakdown of his route running and he isn't far off from a Ricky Pearsall in terms of an outstanding smooth route runner that has underrated upside as a perimeter receiver. I saw him too much as a slot exclusive. He isn't overly fast, but his double moves and misdirections are so ridiculous that he may actually turn into a more meaningful deep threat than a Trey Palmer who possesses burner speed.

Seeing that Pearsall and Mcconkey got selected in late first and early second and after finally understanding what McMillan's strengths are, I'm starting to come around to the concept of Licht nailing this pick.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Freshmen year was the COVID year.
Sophomore year does so well in limited time he runs the starter in front of him out of town (transfers out)
Junior year starts and out performs his teammate and future #9 pick.
Senior year started off the year with 20 catches, 311 yards and 3 TDs before getting hurt game 3 of the season.

I mean, sure, I guess he could've burst onto the scene earlier and made a bigger impression sooner, so that his senior year injury would be more disregarded... but I'm really not going to hold it against him- or use it as a knock against his future- that he didn't.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

McMillan was drafted to be a complimentary piece. He is the first of our next generation because WR is still going to be a need in next years draft after we lose Godwin.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Why do we assume we’re losing Godwin?

Mike’s deal is only two years. I’m much more of the assumption he plans to retire after the 2025 season.

We should be trying to extend Godwin.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:38 am Why do we assume we’re losing Godwin?

Mike’s deal is only two years. I’m much more of the assumption he plans to retire after the 2025 season.

The college ranks appears to be supplying the NFL with increasingly ample WR talent. Godwin plays super physical but has kind of been [Ike Hilliard on a good day] the last three seasons. The ACL was a fluke, but it happened. I just think the dude gets beat up. When is that cheque due?

If he has 1000 yard, 11 yards per reception season, and wants paid like a bona fide number one, you gotta let him go.
Central_Buc

LookRe: Welcome Jalen McMillan

Post by Central_Buc »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:38 am Why do we assume we’re losing Godwin?

AWJ and Wirfs need new deals and the team is reportedly working on them. Godwin may be odd man out.
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

You know, I was thinking about it. This pick reminds me of Randy Moss for some reason. Not saying this kid will be anywhere near Moss, but you have Evans = Carter, Godwin = Reed, kid just needs to put on a show, and we'll see what happens.