The Falcons QB Controversy

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: The Falcons QB Controversy

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:14 pm I love how cool and breezy fans whose jobs and careers aren't on the line just calmly declare they'll find a QB after Kirk so getting one now is dumb.
I was pissed when we did it with the 64th pick. I can’t imagine having done it with the 8th.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

The Falcons are like parents who took their kids college fund and bet it all on black at the roulette table instead of paying for school and helping their child.

It literally doesn't matter if they win the gamble, it was a retarded decision and will never not be a retarded decision.

This just adds to the legend of the Falcons who are quite clearly the GOATS when it comes to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Funny, would think this would be seen as the investing in your future part of that metaphor.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

If Penix wins them a Super Bowl, all will be forgiven and it will be seen as them playing 4D chess while the rest of the leagues is still trying to figure out the rules of checkers.

Yes, I realize those are some long odds and that is the only way this will ever be seen as a good idea even in hindsight
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

This was figured out a long time ago.

How old was Brett Favre when the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers? 36

How old was Aaron Rodgers when the Packers drafted Jordan Love? 36

How old was Kirk Cousins when the Falcons drafted Michael Penix? 36.

This is not rocket science.
Most hated man in America.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:40 pm This was figured out a long time ago.

How old was Brett Favre when the Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers? 36

How old was Aaron Rodgers when the Packers drafted Jordan Love? 36

How old was Kirk Cousins when the Falcons drafted Michael Penix? 36.

This is not rocket science.
Yes, yes... that is the reason Jimmy Garoppolo was not successful. Tom was 37 when he was drafted. To be honest I don't think the age of the current starter has any impact on the success of a 1st round draft choice. What MIGHT be a factor is that any QB drafted into a situation with an established starter that they are not expected to push is going to a stable franchise. QBs drafted in the first round and rushed into starting are more often than not going to a bad franchise.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Snake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:56 pm it was obvious how things were gonna fall 1-4, in terms of players selected. maybe not order. Even months out.

Falcons should’ve just not signed Cousins and traded up a bit to acquire the 6 year college QB and started him year 1, week 1. Spent the Kirk $ elsewhere.

There’s no reason for a 6 year college player + 24 year old to sit. Especially with a good roster and a mediocre division.
Now this, is absolutely an argument I can get behind.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/8th-ov ... -nfl-draft

History of the 8th pick. Oof.
Not really sure "Oof" is an appropriate reaction.

I think Robinson and London are doing fine. Horn and Simmons were busts, but Hock is one of the better TE's in the league. McCaffrey is the best RB (possibly player), in the league. Roquon is making $20M AAV, Conklin is one of the best tackles in the league. Beasley was "good". Over the last 10 years, there's like only 2 busts.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:14 pm I love how cool and breezy fans whose jobs and careers aren't on the line just calmly declare they'll find a QB after Kirk so getting one now is dumb.
I was pissed when we did it with the 64th pick. I can’t imagine having done it with the 8th.
Outside of Gator & Buccaneer homers, that was a bad pick because no one saw Trask as a franchise QB... Penix, by most pundits, is thought of as a franchise QB, so not really the same. A similar comparison would be the Bucs taking Jordan Love in 2020 instead of Wirfs. I've brought this up a few times to a few people... no one's answered my questions. So I'll ask you...

If the Bucs took Love in 2020 instead of Wirfs, do you think we still were Super Bowl contenders in 2020 & 2021? Do you think our team, today, would be in a better place than what it is now? I'll go on record and say my answer to both, are "yes".
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:46 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/8th-ov ... -nfl-draft

History of the 8th pick. Oof.

I think Robinson and London are doing fine. Horn and Simmons were busts, but Hock is one of the better TE's in the league. McCaffrey is the best RB (possibly player), in the league. Roquon is making $20M AAV, Conklin is one of the best tackles in the league. Beasley was "good". Over the last 10 years, there's like only 2 busts.
Yeah. I meant like, oof, look who the types of players they could have had.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:06 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 pm

Outside of Gator & Buccaneer homers, that was a bad pick because no one saw Trask as a franchise QB... Penix, by most pundits, is thought of as a franchise QB, so not really the same. A similar comparison would be the Bucs taking Jordan Love in 2020 instead of Wirfs. I've brought this up a few times to a few people... no one's answered my questions. So I'll ask you...

If the Bucs took Love in 2020 instead of Wirfs, do you think we still were Super Bowl contenders in 2020 & 2021? Do you think our team, today, would be in a better place than what it is now? I'll go on record and say my answer to both, are "yes".
I think Wirfs solidified a line that allowed Brady to operate inside the pocket with impunity. And we won a championship.

The Packers DID take Love, and they did not win another championship.

The answer to your first question should surely be no if you’re being objective. You have the historical data to bear it out.

Would I take Love over Mayfield now in a vacuum? Sure. But, things don’t work that way. We won a Super Bowl. They didn’t. And, we beat them to get it.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Oh. Contenders? Sure. They’d be contenders in the sense that they’d have made the playoffs.

We saw what happened in 2021 when Wirfs couldn’t play though.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:15 am
CannonFire wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:46 am

Yeah. I meant like, oof, look who the types of players they could have had.
Ok, gotchya.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:32 am Oh. Contenders? Sure. They’d be contenders in the sense that they’d have made the playoffs.

We saw what happened in 2021 when Wirfs couldn’t play though.
I think it's safe to say that the Bucs would've addressed the OLine in other ways if they had plans on drafting a QB.

I also saw what happened in 2021 when we lost both Antonio Brown (to retardation), AND Chris Godwin. It's not like Wirfs was the only reason. I also think that if Jordan Love showed true promise, that when Brady retired initially, Licht and Co would've come out and championed Love as the future. They'd have made it impossible for Brady to come back (to the Bucs).

That said, I don't know that they'd have drafted Winfield Jr in R2 in 2020, so there is that.

I understand that we could've lost out on the Super Bowl, but I also think we would have a lot of potential for multiple Super Bowls in the future with a franchise QB. Right now, I believe our potential is a high first round draft slot for years to come. I think a full re-build is literally, 24 months away... if not 12.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The great thing about Wirfs is that he was a homerun contributor. A great addition. So was AWJ. And Gronk and Suh and JPP and Mike Edwards. Great contributors come from everywhere.

Did this one take our first? Yes. Cool.
The leap that every first, or any first GB would've taken that wasn't Love, would've been a Wirfs level homerun because hey he too was also a first is silly. Let alone lead to a chip.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:17 pm The great thing about Wirfs is that he was a homerun contributor. A great addition. So was AWJ. And Gronk and Suh and JPP and Mike Edwards. Great contributors come from everywhere.

Did this one take our first? Yes. Cool.
The leap that every first, or any first GB would've taken that wasn't Love, would've been a Wirfs level homerun because hey he too was also a first is silly. Let alone lead to a chip.
It was a perfect example of what you should do. You sign a vet QB to a lucrative deal you make sure you support THAT guy.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Baker got a mid deal and Brady got less. But yeah, you always want to support your QB.

But most importantly is having one.