Welcome Bucky Irving

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Welcome Bucky Irving

Post by Bootz »

Backside wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:34 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:24 pm

If you're going with just the number that have been lost, you wouldn't only need to include the 272 carries he had this past season because all 3 lost fumbles came this year. He also put it on the ground 3 times last season as well, fortunately we recovered them all. He ain't Adrian Peterson or Tiki Barber but he could do better.
Do you have a link to the stats you are using? I'm not seeing what you are saying.

Here are my stats: https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_ ... haad-white

So he put it on the ground 5 times in two years on 515 touches, and lost four of them. Other than being unlucky with the ball going to the other team, I don't see much of an issue. Less than one fumble per 100 touches seems pretty good. But I don't have direct comparisons to other RB's on hand.
You're right.

I was looking here.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... itRa01.htm

He recovered 3 fumbles this year, I for some reason thought FR meant those are fumbles he lost. My bad.
Most hated man in America.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

I would have sacrificed this pick to move up for Powers-Johnson. We had on opportunity to build a dominant OL. Could have had a much better run game and 1-2 less batted balls per game.

I think you need a beast of an iOL when you invest in a short, average QB.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Brazen331 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:45 pm I would have sacrificed this pick to move up for Powers-Johnson. We had on opportunity to build a dominant OL. Could have had a much better run game and 1-2 less batted balls per game.

Word out of OBP is that JPJ was never going to be a Buc. Not in the first, second, third, etc... not even as an UDFA. They didn't like his character, nor his injury history.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Ken wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:17 pm
Brazen331 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:45 pm I would have sacrificed this pick to move up for Powers-Johnson. We had on opportunity to build a dominant OL. Could have had a much better run game and 1-2 less batted balls per game.

Word out of OBP is that JPJ was never going to be a Buc. Not in the first, second, third, etc... not even as an UDFA. They didn't like his character, nor his injury history.
Thought we were going to be moving up for him?! Guess we'd better be careful what we believe coming out of One Buc...
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:33 pm

Thought we were going to be moving up for him?! Guess we'd better be careful what we believe coming out of One Buc...
Is that what "they" were saying?
Don't tread on me
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Change in coordinator, loss of run game coordinator and new OL Coach in addition to new talent/players could make a big difference in the run game.

Or not.

We'll see.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:47 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:33 pm

"They" were. Then after the draft there's all these cryptic recanting(s). Oh, no, word is they didn't like his character after getting last minute intel.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:20 pm

"They" were. Then after the draft there's all these cryptic recanting(s). Oh, no, word is they didn't like his character after getting last minute intel.
Meh. It's all smoke and mirrors anyway. Who knows what they truly believed.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I believe it. We have maybe 1% the information teams do. They can take players off their board for all kinds of valid reasons we'll never know of. Or silly reasons for that matter.

JPJ, Tampa, Trotter, etc.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

I think he was the only prospect I would have moved up for in the 2nd. The 2nd best option would have been to draft Rakestraw IMO.

I think he was a top 3 corner who dropped because he didn’t have an ideal 40 time. But he’s an instinctive player, physical, tackles and so on.

And he was mocked to Tampa in the 1st so many times that the Bucs must have been doing work on him. I think he is a surer prospect to hit that Braswell. I wonder why they didn’t pull the trigger when he was available?
Ken

Post by Ken »

I follow a few Buc reporting accounts, and at least two have mentioned on podcasts that JPJ was not on the Bucs board at all.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Brazen331 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:27 pm

I think he was the only prospect I would have moved up for in the 2nd. The 2nd best option would have been to draft Rakestraw IMO.

I think he was a top 3 corner who dropped because he didn’t have an ideal 40 time. But he’s an instinctive player, physical, tackles and so on.

And he was mocked to Tampa in the 1st so many times that the Bucs must have been doing work on him. I think he is a surer prospect to hit that Braswell. I wonder why they didn’t pull the trigger when he was available?
Who are we talking about? JPJ = Jackson Powers-Johnson, the C from Oregon.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

Ken wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:41 pm
Brazen331 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:27 pm

Right. I meant if you didn’t move up for JPJ and the plan was to stay where you were, I would have picked the CB Rakestraw over Braswell.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Brazen331 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:00 pm
Ken wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:41 pm

Right. I meant if you didn’t move up for JPJ and the plan was to stay where you were, I would have picked the CB Rakestraw over Braswell.
I see. I think most wouldn't have had an issue with an outside corner at that spot, but EDGE is also a huge need.
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

Some people don’t like the Bucky Irving pick, but imo, you can’t go wrong with a late flier on a RB. I’d feel different if he was drafted on day 1 or 2.

Many teams employ an RB by committee approach. Injuries happen, especially at RB. The RB cliff is often steep and sudden, ala: Todd Gurley. Many RBs don’t get a second contract with a team, so he could be something if they don’t resign White. It’s not like White is an all-pro anyway. He had 1 promising season.

Irving was probably a BPA pick that they took because his grade was so much higher than all the “need” positions we have available. Like all day-three draft picks, they’ll look like geniuses if he makes a pro-bowl.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Ken wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:39 pm

I follow a few Buc reporting accounts, and at least two have mentioned on podcasts that JPJ was not on the Bucs board at all.
Could be as simple as the kid saying they don’t want to play there/here. Sure that happens more than we know. JPJ is a west coast dude.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:24 pm
Ken wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:39 pm

Could be as simple as the kid saying they don’t want to play there/here. Sure that happens more than we know. JPJ is a west coast dude.
He got hurt during the senior bowl practices, and some stuff about a concussion history surfaced. Also heard that he is a bit more... pro-wrestler in his approach to football. A bit of showboating/wild behavior. IE, not a Jason Licht OL kind of guy. He wants dudes with ugly wives/girlfriends who do more grunting and people-moving than stylin' and profilin' as it were.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Big Irv wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:15 pm Some people don’t like the Bucky Irving pick, but imo, you can’t go wrong with a late flier on a RB. I’d feel different if he was drafted on day 1 or 2.

Many teams employ an RB by committee approach. Injuries happen, especially at RB. The RB cliff is often steep and sudden, ala: Todd Gurley. Many RBs don’t get a second contract with a team, so he could be something if they don’t resign White. It’s not like White is an all-pro anyway. He had 1 promising season.

Irving was probably a BPA pick that they took because his grade was so much higher than all the “need” positions we have available. Like all day-three draft picks, they’ll look like geniuses if he makes a pro-bowl.
I keep seeing this pervasive idea that running back wasn't a need entering the draft. Our lead running back averages 3.7 yards per carry and all his backups are street free agents. One could argue that running back was the thinnest unit on the roster, and I wouldn't argue against those that did.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Cheb wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:14 am
Big Irv wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:15 pm Some people don’t like the Bucky Irving pick, but imo, you can’t go wrong with a late flier on a RB. I’d feel different if he was drafted on day 1 or 2.

I keep seeing this pervasive idea that running back wasn't a need entering the draft. Our lead running back averages 3.7 yards per carry and all his backups are street free agents. One could argue that running back was the thinnest unit on the roster, and I wouldn't argue against those that did.
Exactly, Rachaad White never really earned his starting gig and hasn’t done anything of note in the bigger picture and the only bodies behind him were the corpse of Chase Edmonds and Sean Tucker who flopped and did nothing as a rookie. Adding another back was a great move, I just wonder how Rachaad and Bucky work as a tandem.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I've heard there is a little Warrick Dunn in this kid, If that is so, idk how you can hate the pick.

Also heard the same thing about JPJ (heard it termed a flamboyant character). It's funny they don't say these things until after the draft. But, it wasn't just the Bucs but a lot of teams were not interested in his character.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:11 am
Cheb wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:14 am

Exactly, Rachaad White never really earned his starting gig and hasn’t done anything of note in the bigger picture and the only bodies behind him were the corpse of Chase Edmonds and Sean Tucker who flopped and did nothing as a rookie. Adding another back was a great move, I just wonder how Rachaad and Bucky work as a tandem.
I mean, White was 4th in total yards and had 9 TDs. That's not doing anything of note? What's the expectation?
Snake

Post by Snake »

White is not Adrian Peterson, but I cannot undersell how bad the run blocking and scheming was.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:12 pm White is not Adrian Peterson, but I cannot undersell how bad the run blocking and scheming was.
He's not infallible, but these last two years aren't entirely on him. That much should be clear just in how they're trying to address it.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:59 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:11 am

I mean, White was 4th in total yards and had 9 TDs. That's not doing anything of note? What's the expectation?
4th RB, 7th in the league in total yards, yep. 64 receptions as a RB. Nothing of note.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Ken wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:25 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:59 pm

4th RB, 7th in the league in total yards, yep. 64 receptions as a RB. Nothing of note.
Actually 8th in the league.

If you add context and dig into the numbers, it's nothing of note at all.
What @Grahamburn also didn't mention is White was 2nd in most touches overall, 2nd only to CMC, 339 vs 336. White only averaged 4.58 yards per touch and that's with 64 receptions. That's pretty low. So the volume inflates the yardage totals.

The 9 TDs on 336 touches isn't something you'd brag about. That's 1 TD roughly every 38 touches and White averages about 20 touches a game. So that's just 1 TD every other week. For context, 9 players including White had 9 TDs. White is the only one with 300 or more touches. Next closest was Breece Hall with 299.

Simply put, Rachaad White is at best a below average RB that we force fed the ball to. He is a good receiver and does well in the open field. But most RBs do.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Interesting. Derrick Henry, who I was told is a much better back than White and someone we should have signed, averaged 4.48 yards per touch last year.
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:08 pm Interesting. Derrick Henry, who I was told is a much better back than White and someone we should have signed, averaged 4.48 yards per touch last year.
Derrick Henry is 95 years old.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:08 pm Interesting. Derrick Henry, who I was told is a much better back than White and someone we should have signed, averaged 4.48 yards per touch last year.
Henry averaged 4.2 ypc on the ground, had 1100+ yards and 12 TDs.

To coddle your argument about Rachaad White, you'd had to include pass catching data for RBs to try and make a case for him being better than he really is. That is whats skewing your argument and POV. Derrick Henry is not a pass catching back and the Titans have never pretended that was part of his game. It doesn't need to be. So for him, yards per touch isn't a important as yards per carry. Baltimore doesn't give a damn that he's not much of a pass catching threat because he's such a force on the ground.

Can you say the same for Rachaad White?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

The draft could've looked a lot different. The Bucs wanted Marshawn Lloyd. This was very well known. The packers sniped him 1 pick before the Bucs in the 3rd. If Licht blew another valuable 3rd rounder on a RB that didn't work out with all the roster holes it would've been disaster.

I like Lloyd and he could work out but I much prefer how it fell in the end spending 3rd round draft capital on receiver when there is huge question marks in that room in the next few years. From all reports they were picking Tykee Smith either way.

So really it would've been Lloyd and a WR in the 5th vs McMillan and a 5th on Bucky later. If you put any stock into PFF at all, they had Bucky higher than Marshawn Lloyd on their big board. I wouldn't go that far as they're Bucky homers but no way I trust Licht spending 3rd round capital with his RB selection history.

In the end the Packers did us and Licht a favor.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I actually agree. I think Packers did us a favor. We're going to love Bucky like Dougie, real quick.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake

Post by Snake »

After return rule change announcement.
Snake wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:15 pm I think a more running back style returner makes sense now
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Anyone is better than Thompkins.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:12 pm Anyone is better than Thompkins.
You say that but could you imagine Ko Kieft? It would be like having Woody Allen back there