Welcome Bucky Irving

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Backside

Welcome Bucky Irving

Post by Backside »

Oregon RB

Know nothing about him. Hopefully he gets the RB2 role and compliments White nicely.
Backside

Re: Welcome Bucky Irving

Post by Backside »

Sounds more similar to White than complimentary, but we will see. Might get some run as a kick returner.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

We'll see. Sounds like good potential. Remember how everyone was high on Sean Tucker but then didn't really pan out.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

My issue with this pick is that we still have needs at ILB and outside CB with the departures of Devin White and Carlton Davis. There were two solid CBs on the board, one with the same name as this team. And he continues his trend of mid round RB drafting
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:40 pm My issue with this pick is that we still have needs at ILB and outside CB with the departures of Devin White and Carlton Davis. There were two solid CBs on the board, one with the same name as this team. And he continues his trend of mid round RB drafting
I remember reading a report that the Bucs weren’t interested in TJ Tampa. Seems like a guy the media draft “experts” like more than teams.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

I know nothing about him bit he seems to have really good vision in his highlights.

Hopefully our run game improves this season
Snake

Post by Snake »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:02 pm I know nothing about him bit he seems to have really good vision in his highlights.

Hopefully our run game improves this season
Vision and quickness are more important than long speed. But even so, his testing was pretty rough.

We shall see.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Overview
Compact and willful, Irving is deeply committed to each run his play-caller trusts him with. He punches above his weight class with excellent contact balance and leg drive to fight through tackles and squeeze every yard out of the run. However, Irving showed a concerning lack of explosiveness at the NFL Scouting Combine. He is frequently in a rush and would rather run through a wall than around it but he does have the agility to make tacklers miss with wide, lateral cuts when he runs with better patience. Irving isn’t ready for NFL protection duties and is a little tight as a route runner, but he catches the ball cleanly. Irving is missing ideal size and explosiveness, which could land him somewhere in the middle rounds of the draft as an average backup.

Strengths
Built low to the ground with bendy lowers and a powerful base.
Decisive downhill charges create a head of steam for what is to come.
Possesses elusive features including spin move and lateral jump cut.
Good run-through power to break tackles and extend the carry.
Only one fumble over 486 carries during his career.
Average hands but makes an impression on the stat sheet as a pass catcher.

Weaknesses
Doesn't have ideal size to take on the heavy collisions he sees each game.
Gets into too much of a hurry and rushes ahead of blocking development.
Feet fly outside his frame during change of direction, limiting cut fluidity.
Below-average press and finesse getting into his run-lane choice.
Needs to improve his protection technique to deal with NFL blitzers.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Was hoping for the kid out of Wisconsin. Now I'm hoping some kid named "Bucky" can do the job???

Hope he can
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:59 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:40 pm My issue with this pick is that we still have needs at ILB and outside CB with the departures of Devin White and Carlton Davis. There were two solid CBs on the board, one with the same name as this team. And he continues his trend of mid round RB drafting

I remember reading a report that the Bucs weren’t interested in TJ Tampa. Seems like a guy the media draft “experts” like more than teams.
It usually goes that way. People think we have all 300 guys ranked but it's not like that. There are maybe 60 dudes OBP labels as Buc material.

Who knows what gets people off. Maybe the wrong comment in a quick interview. Maybe a scorned positional coach.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I'd call this pick a mixed bag.

Was it who I would have selected? No. Did he show disappointing testing numbers at the combine? For sure. This there a non-zero chance that we just made a mistake? Definitely, especially with the benefit of hindsight as the years go by.

But let's not pretend there aren't things to like about Bucky Irving. He's productive, more quick than fast, makes good decisions, has just one career fumble, can contribute as a receiver, and can power through arm tackles. Do you wish he showed his athleticism more in the predraft process, of course you do, but it's not like he can't run away from defenders. Irving is a good football player, and I think he will contribute to our team as a rookie, taking the load off of White on all three downs if needed.

You know who Bucky Irving reminds me of, both physically and stylistically? Warwick Dunn.

Have some highlights, you negative nancies:

Welcome to Tampa, Bucky.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I can see future commercials with Buckies
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Is Cohen looking for this type of back for his offense? Maybe that was the deciding point.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Like Darden, but a running back.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s actually crazy how slow he looks on film. Tiny strides going a million miles an hour but going nowhere.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Thanks @Cheb for the vote of confidence and voice of reason.

His highlights are great. Hope his game translates.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Snake wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:51 pm Like Darden, but a running back.
And we all know how Darden turned out
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Central_Buc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 pm Is Cohen looking for this type of back for his offense? Maybe that was the deciding point.
Don’t know how much say he had but his guy was there for the taking.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

I would have rather taken the trade offer from the Lions right after the Bucs picked and got the 2025 third rounder.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Darden played inferior competition and was so small that he realistically had no pro comp. Even notable tiny receiver Brandin Cooks was 2 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier than Darden.

Bucky played against top competition in two different conferences. His average season at Oregon was 214 touches for 1475 total yards and 12 total TDs. Moreover, he has a very similar in his body type and style of play to one of the best running backs in franchise history, at least in my opinion.

Apples and oranges.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cheb wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 pm
Darden played inferior competition and was so small that he realistically had no pro comp. Even notable tiny receiver Brandin Cooks was 2 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier than Darden.

Bucky played against top competition in two different conferences. His average season at Oregon was 214 touches for 1475 total yards and 12 total TDs. Moreover, he has a very similar in his body type and style of play to one of the best running backs in franchise history, at least in my opinion.

Apples and oranges.
Warrick’s a fun comp and I’m here for it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Cheb wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 pm

Apples and oranges.
Let a homie hate
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/lists/buc ... noles-acc/

Irving is bigger than Dunn. Somehow didn’t remember that he came back and finished his career here.
Snake

Post by Snake »

A thinner CEH.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Snake wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 pm It’s actually crazy how slow he looks on film. Tiny strides going a million miles an hour but going nowhere.
He’ll fit right in lol
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:10 pm https://bucswire.usatoday.com/lists/buc ... noles-acc/

Irving is bigger than Dunn. Somehow didn’t remember that he came back and finished his career here.
Yep...he came back for one final season in '08. Had over 1000 yfs.
Don't tread on me
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:59 pm

It usually goes that way. People think we have all 300 guys ranked but it's not like that. There are maybe 60 dudes OBP labels as Buc material.

Who knows what gets people off. Maybe the wrong comment in a quick interview. Maybe a scorned positional coach.
My issue is not so much about them picking Tampa but the fact that they still had positions of need and there were players on the board that fit those needs but they picked a position that was not a need
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:46 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 pm

My issue is not so much about them picking Tampa but the fact that they still had positions of need and there were players on the board that fit those needs but they picked a position that was not a need
Running back isn't/wasn't a need?

My dude, Rashaad White is a one-man band. Behind him we have a pair of street free agents. White shouldn't take every snap, and even if he did, what would our plan be if/when he got injured after getting an absurd number of touches?

Adding a running back was a smart idea going into the draft and I'm glad we did it.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Cheb wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:46 pm

Running back isn't/wasn't a need?

My dude, Rashaad White is a one-man band. Behind him we have a pair of street free agents. White shouldn't take every snap, and even if he did, what would our plan be if/when he got injured after getting an absurd number of touches?

Adding a running back was a smart idea going into the draft and I'm glad we did it.
Licht does this every year and almost none have panned out. And the jury is still out on White. They could've easily addressed it with UDFA or even the second wave of free agents in June.

CB and ILB were bigger needs
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

This is a classic Licht RB pick that makes no sense.

They need a lead power back type and he selects a super slow 190 pound guy with better and higher rated RB's on the board.

Why can't he just select the highest rated available? His RB reaches never work out. Ever. His major flaw as a GM
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Barnzy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 pm This is a classic Licht RB pick that makes no sense.

They need a lead power back type and he selects a super slow 190 pound guy with better and higher rated RB's on the board.

Why can't he just select the highest rated available? His RB reaches never work out. Ever. His major flaw as a GM
I don't disagree with the general philosophical thrust. Licht has never drafted a running back who weighs more than 215, and I doubt that's going to change. He likes scatbacks and all-rounders. Power backs are not nor have they ever been his flavor as a drafter.

Interestingly, perhaps the most successful running back of Licht's tenure, Leonard Fournette, played at about 230.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Central_Buc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 pm Is Cohen looking for this type of back for his offense? Maybe that was the deciding point.
I don't know about deciding, but if he liked Bucky over Ray, that probably carried weight.

Licht has been through it all and knows football to the level where he understands his coaches, what they like, and what they are trying to do. Then gets the best players he can to empower them to do just that. McVay system doesn't shy away from smaller backs like Henderson or Kyren. I could see Bucky on the Rams, so I get how JL can see him working for Liam.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I really love his acceleration and decisiveness. He is able to go from a 0 to a 100 in a hurry, even though his 100 is more a 60. He's definitely a different type of runner than most guys we've had since Doug Martin in his rookie year.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Every Bucky I ever knew was tough.