Welcome Graham Barton

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Babeinbucland

Re: Welcome Graham Barton

Post by Babeinbucland »

reagan SMASH wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:35 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:40 pm

Post more lurk less :)
Aw thanks, I appreciate it. But I'd be a terrible general poster. I enjoy reading posts from those who know a lot more than me about the Xs and Os of the game, how our players fit our system, etc. I do pop in when someone has a question about an injury or other medical issue (I'm a physician, so I can contribute there), or in this case, to root on a Duke guy :)
All of that might be true except the terrible poster part. I am thinking I know the least on the board about X’s and O’s And still have a lot of fun. You are a Bucs fan so your voice is welcome. We are your tribe. Oh and please don’t leave me alone with these guys :o
Last edited by Babeinbucland on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I said what I said

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Backside wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:32 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:24 pm You won’t find a good message board if everybody agrees on everything
But disagreeing just for the sake of it isn't exactly great content either.

You just said he would've been your top pick for the Bucs, are you reacting like a person who just had their team draft the guy you wanted most?

Bootz has his own reputation. So of course he will comment on your post saying us idiot fans are just hyping up our draft pick because of pewter colored glasses. Only to end it with "He'll be really good for us though" Okay?? Is there some pessimism quota to hit in order to post?

It just seems like you have done everything except say "Nice pick, that is exactly who I would have taken there. I hope he works out." I get you might find that crappy content. But just trying to find the negative outlook on everything, even the move you would have made yourself doesn't seem great either.
Most hated man in America.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:40 pm

Post more lurk less :)
Aw thanks, I appreciate it. But I'd be a terrible general poster. I enjoy reading posts from those who know a lot more than me about the Xs and Os of the game, how our players fit our system, etc. I do pop in when someone has a question about an injury or other medical issue (I'm a physician, so I can contribute there), or in this case, to root on a Duke guy :)
You can contribute just by expressing your opinions, hopes, and dreams. You certainly don’t have to confine your posts to medical stuff. I’m an accountant. That doesn’t stop me from offering my opinions regardless the topic. lol
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

I am pleased with this pick. As it says in the posted article below, except for untimely injuries, 1st round centers are the safest pick in the draft. We needed this guy badly, I hope he plays all the way to his full potential and I'll dare dream that in next year's re-draft listings they bump him up to the second, maybe third offensive lineman taken because he was that good as a rookie.

In any draft you always have a choice. The cheesehead who hung his head in shame at the guy the Packers picked? We've been there. Only in hindsight will we know if we missed out on a Hall of Famer who was picked 27th or 28th but in the meantime I'm happy, now maybe just maybe our run game won't suck this coming fall. We shall see.

https://www.sportscasting.com/why-first ... aft-value/
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:41 pm A 9.99 athletic score, 35 college starts, and he’s the eighth offensive lineman off the board. There’s a little bit more going on here.
Stats do not always tell the whole tale.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:25 pm
You can contribute just by expressing your opinions, hopes, and dreams. You certainly don’t have to confine your posts to medical stuff. I’m an accountant. That doesn’t stop me from offering my opinions regardless the topic. lol
@reagan SMASH or regardless of his opinion :D
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

13F11B wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:51 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:41 pm A 9.99 athletic score, 35 college starts, and he’s the eighth offensive lineman off the board. There’s a little bit more going on here.
Stats do not always tell the whole tale.
Brady
I said what I said

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:05 pm
Backside wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:32 pm

But disagreeing just for the sake of it isn't exactly great content either.

You just said he would've been your top pick for the Bucs, are you reacting like a person who just had their team draft the guy you wanted most?

Bootz has his own reputation. So of course he will comment on your post saying us idiot fans are just hyping up our draft pick because of pewter colored glasses. Only to end it with "He'll be really good for us though" Okay?? Is there some pessimism quota to hit in order to post?

It just seems like you have done everything except say "Nice pick, that is exactly who I would have taken there. I hope he works out." I get you might find that crappy content. But just trying to find the negative outlook on everything, even the move you would have made yourself doesn't seem great either.
That’s the broad that was hanging with Kool-Aid.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:39 pm Just for those keeping track:

He’s very strong.
He has S-tier mobility.
He has a dream of a body.
He physically dominated a first round pick edge player.
He played multiple OL positions in college.

But for some reason, there were a ton of offensive linemen taken ahead of him.
I don't understand people outsourcing doing their own thinking.

So you list several things other people have seen and think about the guy. And then your counter is "but other people have their own opinion".
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

When you win you pick later in the draft. Oh no?
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 am
Cheb wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:42 am First impression, I like the pick. Graham Barton was an alternative pick in my big Bucs' mock draft this year and for good reasons. From what I've seen of him, Graham seems very quick on his feet, he's technically sound, and he demonstrates some grit as a run blocker.

Part of me is leery at repeating the same experiment of shoving college tackles into interior positions and hoping they work out, but Graham seems like a solid player so three cheers for optimism. Guys at his size with those kind of movement skills don't grow on trees, even in the NFL.

I'll have to watch some game film of him before I'll stick firmer to any particular opinion.

Welcome to the Bucs, Graham.
He was Dukes starting C as a freshman, was forced to LT for simply being there best blocker.

I like the pick, IOL was our biggest need and we got the best one on the draft. He should be a Pro Bowler for us.
Couldn’t have said it better myself!
reagan SMASH

Post by reagan SMASH »

Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:58 pm
All of that might be true except the terrible poster part. I am thinking I know the least on the board about X’s and O’s And still have a lot of fun. You are a Bucs fan so your voice is welcome. We are your tribe. Oh and please don’t leave me alone with these guys :o
haha, yeah since MJW left you might be the only regular female poster. Represent!

Thanks for the kind words, I'll try to post more often. Just don't expect any mindblowing analysis :p
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

The Bucs have had one of the worst running games the last 2 seasons. The primary cause of that is poor offensive line play. This was a desperate need for the Bucs. But what additions to the OL have the Bucs made in the draft since that first round pick?
In contrast the Pittsburg Steelers decided they needed to upgrade their offensive line. What have they done this draft?
Troy Fautanu OT Round 1 Pick 20 (20)
Zach Frazier C Round 2 Pick 19 (51)
Mason McCormick G Round 4 Pick 19 (119)
The Bucs should have had a draft similar to the Steelers to fix their running game.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

reagan SMASH wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:40 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:58 pm

haha, yeah since MJW left you might be the only regular female poster. Represent!

Thanks for the kind words, I'll try to post more often. Just don't expect any mindblowing analysis :p
The only mind blowing analysis on this board is in certain posters heads lol
I said what I said

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Babeinbucland wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:10 pm
reagan SMASH wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:40 pm

The only mind blowing analysis on this board is in certain posters heads lol
Ha! To be fair, there are 2-3 pretty good analyzers on here. But, yeah...I get your point. :D
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Ken

Post by Ken »

Tristan Wirfs was the 4th tackle selected in 2020. The 4 tackles combined have 3 Pro Bowls, all earned by Tristan Wirfs.
Raven's Pro Bowl C Tyler Linderbaum was the 7th OL off the board in 2022.

Speaking of Linderbaum... here's a list of the first round centers since 2016:
2016: Ryan Kelly
2018: Frank Ragnow, Billy Price
2019: Garrett Bradbury
2020: Cesar Ruiz
2022: Tyler Linderbaum

Of those, only Billy Price isn't still starting for the team who drafted him.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Billy Price. Another short armed white boy drafted in the 20s.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:43 pm Billy Price. Another short armed white boy drafted in the 20s.
Are you just being negative to be negative? Billy Price does not have anything close to the athleticism that Barton has and you know that
Backside

Post by Backside »

Short arm white boy to describe interior Olineman.

Really narrowing it down.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Snake wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:43 pm Billy Price. Another short armed white boy drafted in the 20s.
Just for fun, here are the arm lengths of the first round centers. I'm removing Ruiz because he doesn't play there anymore.

Ryan Kelly - 33 5/8"
Frank Ragnow - 33 1/8"
Graham Barton - 32 7/8"
Billy Price - 32"
Garret Bradbury - 31 3/4"
Tyler Linderbaum - 31 1/8"

Now let's do athleticism scores.

Garrett Bradbury - 92
Graham Barton - 92
Tyler Linderbaum - 89
Frank Ragnow - 85
Ryan Kelly - 81
Billy Price - 58

Lastly, overall prospect grade.

Garret Bradbury - 94
Tyler Linderbaum - 93
Graham Barton - 90
Frank Ragnow - 85
Ryan Kelly - 84
Billy Price - 75
Snake

Post by Snake »

So what you’re telling me is, he should be a top 3 center in the league?
Backside

Post by Backside »

Snake wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:53 pm So what you’re telling me is, he should be a top 3 center in the league?
Yea, pretty much
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

He’s very strong.
He has S-tier mobility.

His pass protection and hand technique needs a lot of work. Gave up too many pressures at LT. He is a bit of a draft darling where they all presume his weaknesses and issues they say is all relating to short arms will be mitigated or suddenly disappear up if he changes positions. Problem is that requires a lot of projection, more so than other 1st round picks.

As we have seen, that doesn't always work out. Especially when he has to make the transition in the NFL vs even stronger players on the inside. Don't be surprised at least if Barton struggles year one and people are not happy picking a guy in the 1st round who is not translating quickly.

He is a tremendous athlete and has lots of good traits so I wouldn't put it past him. However, he has a much harder transition than if the Bucs picked a guy who played C in college lots of snaps and dominated doing so.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Barnzy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:40 pm

He’s very strong.
He has S-tier mobility.

His pass protection and hand technique needs a lot of work. Gave up too many pressures at LT. He is a bit of a draft darling where they all presume his weaknesses and issues they say is all relating to short arms will be mitigated or suddenly disappear up if he changes positions. Problem is that requires a lot of projection, more so than other 1st round picks.

As we have seen, that doesn't always work out. Especially when he has to make the transition in the NFL vs even stronger players on the inside. Don't be surprised at least if Barton struggles year one and people are not happy picking a guy in the 1st round who is not translating quickly.

He is a tremendous athlete and has lots of good traits so I wouldn't put it past him. However, he has a much harder transition than if the Bucs picked a guy who played C in college lots of snaps and dominated doing so.
See: Hainsey. Wasn’t he ND’s starting RT for like 3 seasons?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Ken

Post by Ken »

Snake wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:53 pm So what you’re telling me is, he should be a top 3 center in the league?
That and comparing him to Billy Price is something only someone who just sees the C next to their names would do.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Graham Barton just needs to be Graham Barton.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:09 pm Graham Barton just needs to be Graham Barton.
Yep. The rest will take care of itself.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 pm
:30 drives Verse about 10 yards down the field. :lol:
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

A lot of the time when he "loses", its 4 or 5 seconds after the snap. So overall i wouldn't count those as loses.

Dukes QB was holding the ball forever it seems.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Gonna be a fun camp versus Vea and Kancey.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Obsolete wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:48 pm A lot of the time when he "loses", its 4 or 5 seconds after the snap. So overall i wouldn't count those as loses.

Dukes QB was holding the ball forever it seems.
Several reps in there where he dominates Verse and Fiske.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:01 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 pm
:30 drives Verse about 10 yards down the field. :lol:
I think you can tell he's playing like he's getting all he can handle. Not a bad thing for a first round pick, and he gets Verse a bit, too. But I am certainly glad he will be inside where he can be a lot more aggressive and get the initial punch without being as vulnerable to speed.