Von Miller: Traded

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Von Miller: Traded

Post by King Bootz »

Rams send a 2nd & 3rd for the future 1st ballot HOF.
Last edited by King Bootz on Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miller4Prez64

Re: Von Miller: Traded

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I don’t think we’ve ever seen a team go this hard on trading draft picks for veteran talent before. It’s certainly interesting to watch. I’m happy for Von Miller though, the situation in Denver hasn’t been a good one since Peyton retired.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Rams are all in this year!

-Stop me if you've been hearing this same thing for at least 3 season in a row now. If they don't get it done this season or next, Does McVay get the boot?

They've given him every weapon imaginable on both sides of the ball and to not bring home a ring would be a huge disappoinment.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Fuck.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:51 pm Rams are all in this year!

-Stop me if you've been hearing this same thing for at least 3 season in a row now. If they don't get it done this season or next, Does McVay get the boot?

They've given him every weapon imaginable on both sides of the ball and to not bring home a ring would be a huge disappoinment.
No he doesn't get the boot. If they do, you're gonna have to find me a coach that is a guarantee to do it better. Who are they going after?

I didn't even know pass rush was an issue for LA but damn they just got even richer. Donald, Ramsey, Miller. They have a legitimate Superstar at each level of their defense to go along with that offense.

The irony in ALL of this is that DeSean Jackson wants no part in it.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

BJJ34 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:55 pmFuck.
Sums it up.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Ohhhh fuck
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:55 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:51 pm Rams are all in this year!

No he doesn't get the boot. If they do, you're gonna have to find me a coach that is a guarantee to do it better. Who are they going after?

I didn't even know pass rush was an issue for LA but damn they just got even richer. Donald, Ramsey, Miller. They have a legitimate Superstar at each level of their defense to go along with that offense.

My thoughts as well, which is why I posed the question. They have, on paper, the most stacked overall team the league has seen in quite a while. If McVay leads them to another couple early playoff exits, I think the questions have to start being asked.

Hell, give the worst coach ever this roster and he could lead them to a first round playoff loss. McVay has to do better, or the GM has to start qeighing his options, IMO.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:16 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:55 pm

My thoughts as well, which is why I posed the question. They have, on paper, the most stacked overall team the league has seen in quite a while. If McVay leads them to another couple early playoff exits, I think the questions have to start being asked.

Hell, give the worst coach ever this roster and he could lead them to a first round playoff loss. McVay has to do better, or the GM has to start qeighing his options, IMO.
I don't think they have a more stacked roster on paper than us or Arizona, but to your point...they've been very good this year. I think most expect them to be serious contenders in the playoffs and they should.

He went to the Super Bowl with Goff, who isn't good. Now they have Stafford who is a pretty significant upgrade to Goff.

I don't think McVay gets fired, either, regardless.

edit: Their best player was injured in their playoff loss, too. It absolutely made a difference.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

I get that McVay is boy wonder, but can we stop acting like he wasn't born on third base with this team the last couple of years. His teams have gotten better each season since losing the SB, and he hasn't led them to better finishes. He's doing his best Gruden impersonation without the ring.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:24 pm I get that McVay is boy wonder, but can we stop acting like he wasn't born on third base with this team the last couple of years. His teams have gotten better each season since losing the SB, and he hasn't led them to better finishes. He's doing his best Gruden impersonation without the ring.
Their Super Bowl offense was predicated on Gurley, who was never the same after his injury.

They re-structured their offense with a bad QB and were eliminated from the playoffs last year when the best defensive player in the NFL played injured. Shit happens.

I don't think anyone is saying he's the best coach in the league, but he's not on the hot seat.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:29 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:24 pm I get that McVay is boy wonder, but can we stop acting like he wasn't born on third base with this team the last couple of years. His teams have gotten better each season since losing the SB, and he hasn't led them to better finishes. He's doing his best Gruden impersonation without the ring.
Their Super Bowl offense was predicated on Gurley, who was never the same after his injury.

They re-structured their offense with a bad QB and were eliminated from the playoffs last year when the best defensive player in the NFL played injured. Shit happens.

I don't think anyone is saying he's the best coach in the league, but he's not on the hot seat.
How long is the leash?
Dread

Post by Dread »

Rams still have Leonard Floyd too, right?

Yeesh, they are talented up front.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:50 pm Rams still have Leonard Floyd too, right?

Yeesh, they are talented up front.
Forgot about him. That defense is a nightmare. As long as Stafford doesn't revert back to Detroit Matt, watch out.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:46 pm

How long is the leash?
Long enough to not think about him losing his job anytime soon. Once the lack of draft picks come back around to bite them I could see McVay honestly showing himself the door for a better job instead of stick around for a rebuild.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

How long is the leash?
There isn't one and why would there be honestly? He's one of the best in the game. They finally have a QB he chose, not one that was already in place like Goff was. The squad is stacked and they are winning.

He's not getting fired for not winning the Super Bowl. I think he gets one sooner than later with this squad though. Maybe this season.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:03 pm

How long is the leash?
Long enough to not think about him losing his job anytime soon. Once the lack of draft picks come back around to bite them I could see McVay honestly showing himself the door for a better job instead of stick around for a rebuild.
A better job than head coach of an NFL team in Los Angeles...does such a thing exist?!?!?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:26 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:03 pm

A better job than head coach of an NFL team in Los Angeles...does such a thing exist?!?!?
More from a winning perspective. Eventually teams like us and the Rams will have to pay the bill for these moves we made to ensure having a chance to win a Lombardi and I could see McVay taking the opportunity to go to somewhere he has a better chance of winning in the short term.

Kind of like how Pete Carroll bailed on USC for the Seahawks right before shit hit the fan for that program.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Von hasn't been the same player the last couple of years but playing alongside Donald might change that. A repeat just got tougher.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:32 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:26 pm

More from a winning perspective. Eventually teams like us and the Rams will have to pay the bill for these moves we made to ensure having a chance to win a Lombardi and I could see McVay taking the opportunity to go to somewhere he has a better chance of winning in the short term.

Kind of like how Pete Carroll bailed on USC for the Seahawks right before shit hit the fan for that program.
Lots of teams manipulate the salary cap the way the Bucs just started doing this past offseason. The Saints have done it for years. When the cap increases by $10M season after season it makes sense to get borrow from the future if it gives you an edge to win today.

The Bucs have just been so shitty for so long we never entertained the option to manipulate the cap.

The Rams are borrow from the future in more ways than any other team though with all the draft picks they are giving up.

Jalen Ramsey = 2020 1st rounder + 2021 1st rounder + 2021 4th rounder
Matt Stafford = 2022 1st rounder + 2023 1st rounder + 2021 3rd rounder
Von Miller - 2022 2nd rounder + 2022 3rd rounder

Nothing is guaranteed in the draft and those players are proven. But they are also expensive and either at their prime or past it.

Eventually trading away that many high draft picks will leave the roster void of premium talent. But they recognize their window for a ring is this season and next.

Aaron Donald is 30yrs old, Von Miller is 32yrs old, and Ramsey is 27. It's winning time!!
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Sean McVay has the highest career winning percentage in the NFL among active head coaches, winning 69.4% of his games. That's the sixth best winning percentage of all-time, by the way. Unless he has an off-field fuckup of massive proportions, he isn't going anywhere.

Back on the subject of Von Miller. I was curious about the cap implications. Apparently the Broncos agreed to pay most of Von's salary for this year, $9 million of the $9.7 million that he's due. And Von is a free agent next season.

So the Rams traded a second and third rounder for a half-year rental of Von Miller. Interesting.

If I'm the Broncos... I don't know. Maybe trading Von to the Rams is a smart decision in the long-term (better to get a guaranteed something instead of hoping for a comp pick for the last nine games of Von's Denver career?), but trading your sack leader on a 4-4 team is basically acknowledging that you are done for the rest of the season, imo.

If I'm a Bronco player, I'd be pissed.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I wonder if the Niners will get into the NFC West arms race. The Cardinals and Rams have added reinforcements in Zach Ertz and Von Miller to their rosters. Niners aren't out of it yet but they lost another key player to a season ending injury, Javon Kinlaw. Seahawks might want to get in as well before Wilson returns.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Cheb wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:58 pm Sean McVay has the highest career winning percentage in the NFL among active head coaches, winning 69.4% of his games. That's the sixth best winning percentage of all-time, by the way. Unless he has an off-field fuckup of massive proportions, he isn't going anywhere.

Back on the subject of Von Miller. I was curious about the cap implications. Apparently the Broncos agreed to pay most of Von's salary for this year, $9 million of the $9.7 million that he's due. And Von is a free agent next season.

So the Rams traded a second and third rounder for a half-year rental of Von Miller. Interesting.

If I'm the Broncos... I don't know. Maybe trading Von to the Rams is a smart decision in the long-term (better to get a guaranteed something instead of hoping for a comp pick for the last nine games of Von's Denver career?), but trading your sack leader on a 4-4 team is basically acknowledging that you are done for the rest of the season, imo.

If I'm a Bronco player, I'd be pissed.
He's also .500% in the playoffs though. I'm not suggesting they kid rid of him now, or even this offseason if he doesn't win a ring. However, if they do not AT LEAST make the SB this year of next, I'm reeeealy considering moving on.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

I wanted us to do this when I heard Miller was on on block, I just didn't think we could make the cap work. The rich get richer indeed. The Rams are going to be a serious obstacle for us.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Not to make anyone sad, but if the playoffs started today, we'd host the Rams in the Wildcard round.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Rams schedule is brutal next 4 (out of 5 games):

Titans
49'ers
Packers
Jags [Win]
Cardinals
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Crocaneers wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:39 pm Rams schedule is brutal next 4 (out of 5 games):

Titans
49'ers
Packers
Jags [Win]
Cardinals
They should beat the Titans, no Henry
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:32 pm Not to make anyone sad, but if the playoffs started today, we'd host the Rams in the Wildcard round.
And the Chiefs would be out of the playoffs. Power rankings and mid-season hypotheticals can go fly a kite
Snake

Post by Snake »

How long is the leash?
I think it’s really long. McVay being like 40-0 when leading at halftime tells you everything you need to know. I know the NFL is very much a “if you’re not first, you’re last” type of league. That’s cool, until you realize the guy you fire McVay for is almost certainly going to be worse at coaching.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Game… blouses
MJW

Post by MJW »

We play 'em again in January, we'll beat them. Not a doubt in my mind, provided we have a healthy secondary.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

Miller isn’t the player he once was.. Barrett >>>Miller
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Jason Bourne wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:17 am Miller isn’t the player he once was.. Barrett >>>Miller
At this point, Barrett isn't the player he once was either.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:24 am
Jason Bourne wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:17 am Miller isn’t the player he once was.. Barrett >>>Miller
At this point, Barrett isn't the player he once was either.
Sad but true.

Two years ago: "Shaq with the sack, Best FA signing in Licht's tenure!"
Last Year: Shaq with the sack ' "That's Cool."
This Year: Shaw with the sack - "Huh, I'll take it.:

I would be interested to see who the sack leader from here on out: Bucs Shaq or Rams Miller.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

The Rams are stacked, really stacked. Especially on defense. This trade makes them even better on that side of the ball. And that is not going to bode well for the Bucs in the playoffs. Especially because, having already lost to the Rams, the Bucs are at a disadvantage in tiebreakers.

They are going all in for this season. No doubt about it. They only have three picks in the 2022 draft now. They are mortgaging their future for a shot at glory and it's only a matter of time before the piper comes to collect.
Last edited by Defense5599 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion