2024 NFL Draft, What are the Bucs needs?

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
CannonFire

Re: 2024 NFL Draft, What are the Bucs needs?

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:00 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:24 pm

As I said to @mdb1958, this had nothing to do with their QB situation or who they took (the Ravens), it's about where they were picking in the draft and the state of the team. They were a 9-win team (drafted a player), and then traded back into the first to #32 for the picks I stated to show a reference of cost. Nothing more.

As it pertains to Mayfield, if the Bucs think that Mayfield is the future, then who we pick with any of these picks is irrelevant.
If they trade back up into the first round to take a QB they don’t think Mayfield is the future.
Which would give me restored faith in the F.O.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:11 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:00 pm

If they trade back up into the first round to take a QB they don’t think Mayfield is the future.
Which would give me restored faith in the F.O.
With Licht's record of what he selected with his second round picks over the years, I wouldn't want him to use one to draft another QB. Yes, Licht hedged his bets on Baker, but I would be stunned...STUNNED if we used anything higher than a 4th on a QB. Just can't. Even then, IDK, he passed it by Brady that they make take Trask not to "blindside" their QB. If anything, Licht being up front and honest with the players is probably the reason he's loved at OBP. If he was going to draft any QB, you know he would have told Mayfield. Considering Mayfield showed all the dirty laundry he had with the Browns, I sincerely doubt he wouldn't have done the same if we were using a premium draft pick on a QB. So my suggestion is don't hold your breath
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

@CannonFire knows we won’t take a QB early. It makes little sense to do so.

He’ll continue to disparage Mayfield and the Bucs until the day they move on from him. If they move on from him.

And as the majority of these rookie QBs bust and continue to flame out… if Mayfield doesn’t win a Super Bowl he’ll say “I told you so.”
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:36 pm @CannonFire knows we won’t take a QB early. It makes little sense to do so.

He’ll continue to disparage Mayfield and the Bucs until the day they move on from him. If they move on from him.

And as the majority of these rookie QBs bust and continue to flame out… if Mayfield doesn’t win a Super Bowl he’ll say “I told you so.”
I wonder if he would say it was the Gravediggers who won the Super Bowl or Mike Evans dominating the game even if Mayfield got the Super Bowl MVP "You know the QB always gets the MVP even if they were just a game manager."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

There's still haters saying I told you so about Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Steve McNair and Dan Marino.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:41 pm There's still haters saying I told you so about Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Steve McNair and Dan Marino.
That slob Marino took a team that just won a Super Bowl and couldn't win jack with him. He road the back of a great defense and then choked to Montana and 49ers. After that, never sniffed another Super Bowl with the GOAT of HCs. He thinks with his fancy hair and tan that he just owns Miami. Hey, Marino, if you cared more about football and less about the chicks on South Beach, maybe you could have been a contender!

Don't get me started on Matt Ryan and that choke job he did against New England. Ryan had a 3 score lead and just a quarter to salt it away. With less than 9 minutes left, Ryan just gifts the ball to NE. Like Cam, no effort to get that fumble. Awful, loser mentality. The most egregious part? He snapped that ball with 10 seconds left on the play clock. Why would you do that? Next drive? 10 second, 15 seconds on the play clock. Is he Jameis needing glasses or something? 3rd and 33. Why are you passing there? Huh, Matt? You think you are going to complete a 40 yarder there Matt? Pathetic!

Hey, Rivers, you squandered all those years you had LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates. Wasted them. There careers were a bunch of accolades but no Super Bowl. Why not? He had you and not Drew Brees, that's why. Drew Brees can win Super Bowls, you can only squander one of the all time best backs and tight ends in NFL history. You couldn't even get within 100 feet of a Super Bowl. I'm sure I heard a Brees chant at games when I was in Qualcomm Stadium. Even your fans wish what could have happened. You can't blame you have crappy wide outs either. You've thrown to Vincent Jackson, Keenan Allen, and Malcolm Floyd. To top it off, you had the chance that Brady and Stafford did. Go to a new team ready to compete for a Super Bowl. Indy gave you that shot and you just choked it away. You being able to field a full offense and defense with your kids, but making kids is the only thing you're good at

That McNair kid was pretty good though...
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

We can't afford him anyway
Bengals defensive end Trey Hendrickson requested a trade Wednesday, his agent, Harold Lewis, confirmed to ESPN.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Phantom wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:43 pm We can't afford him anyway
Bengals defensive end Trey Hendrickson requested a trade Wednesday, his agent, Harold Lewis, confirmed to ESPN.
We have $250k in cap space and still need to sign our draft picks and UDFAs.

Without aggressive restructures, we can't afford McNuggets.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Would take an early pick and he obviously wants an extension that he’s not getting from the Bengals.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:39 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:36 pm @CannonFire knows we won’t take a QB early. It makes little sense to do so.

I wonder if he would say it was the Gravediggers who won the Super Bowl or Mike Evans dominating the game even if Mayfield got the Super Bowl MVP "You know the QB always gets the MVP even if they were just a game manager."
LOL, there's a greater chance that my 16 year-old nephew wins the Presidential Election this November, than Baker Mayfield winning a Superbowl. :D
Last edited by CannonFire on Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:41 pm There's still haters saying I told you so about Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Steve McNair and Dan Marino.
How many of them got dumped by the team who drafted them before their rookie contract was up?
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:59 am
kaimaru wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:39 pm

LOL, there's a greater chance that my 16 year nephew wins the Presidential Election this November, than Baker Mayfield winning a Superbowl. :D
Your monthly reminder that Trent Dilfer has a ring as a starting QB
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Terry Tate wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:02 am
CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:59 am

LOL, there's a greater chance that my 16 year nephew wins the Presidential Election this November, than Baker Mayfield winning a Superbowl. :D
Dilfer made $1M that year. I'd be ecstatic to give Mayfield a 15-year deal at $1M per. You?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:56 am
Terry Tate wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:02 am

Dilfer made $1M that year. I'd be ecstatic to give Mayfield a 15-year deal at $1M per. You?
Is it about money or the ability to win a Super Bowl?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

13F11B wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:57 am
CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:56 am

One leads to the other. Also, about the direction.

The more you pay Mayfield to be a below average starting QB, the less you have to build your team. One thing that everyone on this board, and in the world, agree on is that we need to fix the interior OLine. Right? We gave Mayfield $50M over these next 2 seasons. We ALL know that money/cap figures are fungible, right? So, instead of giving Mayfield $50M over the next 2 seasons, we sign him to a Minshew-type deal at 2 years / $30M, we could spend as much as $20M on an iOL free agent who will come in and give us an instant upgrade (yes, I think Minshew and Mayfield are similar). We now have less draft picks that we need to allocate to iOL and use that pick(s), to fill other needs.

Because Mayfield isn't a Super Bowl caliber QB, we need to build the team around him. If we give him more money than what he's worth, that's more we need to rely on draft picks to step in and produce at a Super Bowl level and less money we can spend on a more reliable player. If we had an elite defense and a great OLine already, I'd be fine with Mayfield. The thing is, we don't have those... and won't, and it's exacerbated more by the fact that we're going to give Mayfield $50M over the next 2 seasons.

If we took his entire $50M guaranteed and invested that in a rookie QB plus two iOL's, there's a higher chance of improvement. A rookie QB, as long as he doesn't totally suck, at worst, gives us a push at the QB position and that gives us $40M to spend (assuming a high $10M to sign all rookies), on FA's that will step in and be an instant upgrade. We also have a player that we believe could be our QB for the next 15 years.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:15 am
13F11B wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:57 am

[snip]
Yep, that is where I thought you were going. Thank you for confirming. I agree that it is easier to find more pieces when you don't have 'high price' pieces. I also agree that paying a middle of the road piece top dollar doesn't make any sense. Baker is getting the 16th highest QB salary in the NFL right now. That would appear to be middle of the pack money for a non-rookie starting QB. Would I love it if the Buccaneers could finally draft a franchise QB (and not trade them away)? Yes.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

13F11B wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:21 am
CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:15 am

[snip]
Yep, that is where I thought you were going. Thank you for confirming. I agree that it is easier to find more pieces when you don't have 'high price' pieces. I also agree that paying a middle of the road piece top dollar doesn't make any sense. Baker is getting the 16th highest QB salary in the NFL right now. That would appear to be middle of the pack money for a non-rookie starting QB. Would I love it if the Buccaneers could finally draft a franchise QB (and not trade them away)? Yes.
Think about @Cheb's post. Imagine if we had $50M more dollars to spend over the next 2 seasons, as we approach the draft, roster construction, and contract negotiations?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:33 am
13F11B wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:21 am

Think about @Cheb's post. Imagine if we had $50M more dollars to spend over the next 2 seasons, as we approach the draft, roster construction, and contract negotiations?
Imagine only having Kyle Trask on the roster and hoping Penix or Nix gets to 26, or worse, being one of these teams desperate to mortgage their futures tonight for a question mark at best.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:06 pm
CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:33 am

Imagine only having Kyle Trask on the roster and hoping Penix or Nix gets to 26, or worse, being one of these teams desperate to mortgage their futures tonight for a question mark at best.
Well, we could only have hoped to have been that lucky. A few comps I saw about Nix was that his floor was "Baker Mayfield". Go figure. Some had his ceiling as Romo or Brees. I wouldn't be upset with him working out to be as good as Romo.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2024bnix.php

I'd rather have Baker Mayfield with a rookie contract than $50M over 2 years.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:23 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:06 pm

Well, we could only have hoped to have been that lucky. A few comps I saw about Nix was that his floor was "Baker Mayfield". Go figure. Some had his ceiling as Romo or Brees. I wouldn't be upset with him working out to be as good as Romo.

He's (Nix) your guy. We'll see.

Irony: Romo's playoff record is 2-4 with his deepest run being two divisional losses.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

redux of Baker Mayfield aside....I think if the Bucs get to the point in which JBJ is in play, Licht will trade up to get him. Beyond that, I think there's more likely a trade back. I don't think the Bucs pick at 26.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Espn mock had us taking BPA at 26, Michael Thomas WR out of LSU. And then Chop Robinson the next pick with the Cards.

Mind you, Latu, Verse, Barton, JPJ, Cooper DeJean off the board.

Would rather this because I think chop is too risky.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:33 pm
CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:23 pm

He's (Nix) your guy. We'll see.

Irony: Romo's playoff record is 2-4 with his deepest run being two divisional losses.
A pattern in Dallas.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Central_Buc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 pm Espn mock had us taking BPA at 26, Michael Thomas WR out of LSU. And then Chop Robinson the next pick with the Cards.

I'd rather the Bucs trade down than draft a WR in this scenario.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:54 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 pm Espn mock had us taking BPA at 26, Michael Thomas WR out of LSU. And then Chop Robinson the next pick with the Cards.

I dont hate trading down either but the video highlights i saw seems like MT is a good prospect to develop under Godwin and Evans. Speed, Size, good hands

Edit: Brian Thomas (not Michael)
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Central_Buc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 pm
CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:54 pm

I dont hate trading down either but the video highlights i saw seems like MT is a good prospect to develop under Godwin and Evans. Speed, Size, good hands

Is his production a result of development or the a result of Nabers being opposite him and Jayden Daniels?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:08 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 pm

Is his production a result of development or the a result of Nabers being opposite him and Jayden Daniels?
Could be but apparently is a first round grade. Also 6'3 Looks to me like excellent insurance if one of our recievers get hurt, but also another threat for the Cohen offense

[Yt]]
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Central_Buc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:39 pm
CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:08 pm

Could be but apparently is a first round grade. Also 6'3 Looks to me like excellent insurance if one of our recievers get hurt, but also another threat for the Cohen offense

[Yt]]
He's legit. I'd love to see him play opposite Evans.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:53 pm

[Yt]]
I agree, even though WR isn't an immediate need, I'd prefer this prospect over Chop Robinson. Robinson sounds like a boom or bust, too much risk imo. Now if the others that we want drop to us that's a different story because we need a center and a edge in the worst way.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

[Yt]]
Is there anything in particular about his situation as to why he went from a nobody to a 1200 yard 17 Td guy?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:06 pm

Is there anything in particular about his situation as to why he went from a nobody to a 1200 yard 17 Td guy?
Not sure if that provides the answer but here some more info.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brian-tho ... 11f8a76eb2
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

So far we have picked players that fit positions we either needed desperately, IOL and Edge, or were relative weaknesses, DB and WR, so I'm happy with it.

The only one I am confident will play a real role next year is Barton. Don't know enough about the others to have an opinion about but someone up there thought enough about them to take them.

I just want to see players who will contribute on ST from here on our, maybe a flyer on backup QB.

Just go with best that is sitting there from here on out.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I'd like to get an RB today. Not a fan of the depth behind White. Edmonds and Tucker, to me, are third-string or practice squad material. A bruiser back to complement White, maybe Audric Estime, wouldn't be a bad choice in the 5th or 6th.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

I'd like to see what that kid from Wisconsin can do in the NFL
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Navybuc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:55 am I'd like to get an RB today. Not a fan of the depth behind White. Edmonds and Tucker, to me, are third-string or practice squad material. A bruiser back to complement White, maybe Audric Estime, wouldn't be a bad choice in the 5th or 6th.
5’9 192 Bucky Irving do it for you?